HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

JVR's ice time

Old
10-27-2011, 09:30 AM
Jester

vCash: 500
Being a power forward is not just crashing the net. It's making power moves to the net.

JVRs best moments as a Flyer have come when he plays more like a power forward, and less like a finesse player.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 09:52 AM
McDugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Being a power forward is not just crashing the net. It's making power moves to the net.

JVRs best moments as a Flyer have come when he plays more like a power forward, and less like a finesse player.
QFT. People keep "calling" JVR a power forward because it's how he should be playing.

McDugan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 11:42 AM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

I am JVR biggest critic.

For years, minus the (single) big playoff series he had, he has been a disappointment. The team stepped up and made changes to give him a chance and he has not responded...

9 Games, 2 Goals, 2 Assists, -5

Trade him and get what you can. You won't miss him.

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Procrastinator

Jvr

why is he not playing on the 1st line?

You figure after his mini break out in the playoffs wouldn't you want to put him in a position to continue his development/success?

Is this a matter of bad coaching decision or am i missing something?

Procrastinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator View Post

You figure after his mini break out in the playoffs wouldn't you want to put him in a position to continue his development/success?

Technically we dont have a first line. But he played with Giroux and Jagr and didnt do much, so they replaced him with Harthell (for the most part) put JVR with Briere and Voracek with Read/Couturier.

In other words, him playing with Briere and Simmonds, so far, has worked out. Doesnt really matter if thats considered the 1st or 2nd line.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:58 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

He hasn't looked like a 1st line player. He remains inconsistent.

10-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He hasn't looked like a 1st line player. He remains inconsistent.
you cant look or play like a 1st line player playing on the 3rd line.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

Let me ask you a question... Do you believe the designated 'number one' line should be made up of what you consider the top three forwards... OR... Do you believe the line, as well as the other lines, should be put together based on how they play together, what function they fit, and if there is chemistry between the three... as well as how the players are playing a that point in time?

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
He was given plenty of time on our "first" line with Giroux and Jagr. He was pretty invisible the entire time.

Also, we don't really have traditional first, second and third lines. He hasn't been playing with dregs or anything.

Edit: I'm going to guess you drafted him in Fantasy.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:06 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
no, but you can earn a spot on the 1st line if you play like a 1st liner

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Let me ask you a question... Do you believe the designated 'number one' line should be made up of what you consider the top three forwards... OR... Do you believe the line, as well as the other lines, should be put together based on how they play together, what function they fit, and if there is chemistry between the three... as well as how the players are playing a that point in time?
no i think that after having some success in the playoffs and being as young as he is you would want to put him in a position playing with talented players so he continues to gain confidence which in turn will equal into further development and confidence.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Procrastinator

Quote:
He was given plenty of time on our "first" line with Giroux and Jagr. He was pretty invisible the entire time.

Also, we don't really have traditional first, second and third lines. He hasn't been playing with dregs or anything.

Edit: I'm going to guess you drafted him in Fantasy.

not sure who dregs is. if you dont have some sort of structured lines then thats a sign of bad coaching.

and no hes not on my fantasy team. i guess the moderator status gives you a sense of trying to be witty and intelligent under the veil of not being questioned.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
no i think that after having some success in the playoffs and being as young as he is you would want to put him in a position playing with talented players so he continues to gain confidence which in turn will equal into further development and confidence.
Well then, IIRC so far this season he has played with the likes of Jarg, Giroux and Briere... Last night he seemed pretty confident after that pretty across the crease pass from Briere.

Lavy is searching for the right combinations and has to take all his forwards into account... I believe he is allowing JvR to find his place. You would think that they would be trying to get Voracek going also, and yet it seems that he hasn't earned as much ice and placement as JvR... I believe Briere with JvR and Simmonds could be what you could consider the number one line if they can pump in some goals on a consistent basis such as the ones they did last night.

They just can't plop him on whichever line is getting the greatest minutes that game and expect him to progress and the team to do well, IMO.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Well then, IIRC so far this season he has played with the likes of Jarg, Giroux and Briere... Last night he seemed pretty confident after that pretty across the crease pass from Briere.

Lavy is searching for the right combinations and has to take all his forwards into account... I believe he is allowing JvR to find his place. You would think that they would be trying to get Voracek going also, and yet it seems that he hasn't earned as much ice and placement as JvR... I believe Briere with JvR and Simmonds could be what you could consider the number one line if they can pump in some goals on a consistent basis such as the ones they did last night.

They just can't plop him on whichever line is getting the greatest minutes that game and expect him to progress and the team to do well, IMO.
agreed. you cant just plop him on a line thats getting the most minutes for the sake of just his own benefit.

but can you atleast give him a play making center?

Old
10-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
agreed. you cant just plop him on a line thats getting the most minutes for the sake of just his own benefit.

Like Giroux?... Did that.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
not sure who dregs is. if you dont have some sort of structured lines then thats a sign of bad coaching.

and no hes not on my fantasy team. i guess the moderator status gives you a sense of trying to be witty and intelligent under the veil of not being questioned.
No, it's because several times a week people post threads about our players asking why they aren't putting up points, and every single time it's happened it's because the poster was wondering about his fantasy player.

I guess that being an anonymous person on the internet gives you a sense of being able to be a jerk and a jackass under the veil of not having to actually confront someone.

As for our lines, it's not that there's a lack of structure. Lavi has his methods, and they're defined. We don't have a traditional first, second or third line. He tries to set up each line so it can be a scoring line.

Old
10-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:

He already had our best playmaking center. He did nothing on that line, so he was moved to another line to see if he could be more effective with those linemates. Since Hartnell took JVR's place next to Giroux, that line has improved. JVR will be placed where he is most effective, and he wasn't being effective with Giroux.

edit: For most of this season JVR's problems have had nothing to do with his linemates. He hasn't been using his size, he hasn't been driving to the net or setting up shop near the crease, and he's spent far too much time skating up the perimeter to fire off a bad angle shot. JVR's problems have been a result of his own play, not his linemates.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-28-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old
10-28-2011, 08:02 PM
DayoftheGreek

Quote:
not sure who dregs is.

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Procrastinator

Quote:
He already had our best playmaking center. He did nothing on that line, so he was moved to another line to see if he could be more effective with those linemates. Since Hartnell took JVR's place next to Giroux, that line has improved. JVR will be placed where he is most effective, and he wasn't being effective with Giroux.

edit: For most of this season JVR's problems have had nothing to do with his linemates. He hasn't been using his size, he hasn't been driving to the net or setting up shop near the crease, and he's spent far too much time skating up the perimeter to fire off a bad angle shot. JVR's problems have been a result of his own play, not his linemates.
thank you for a normal response. sometimes seems like a breath of fresh air on these boards sometimes.

who was he playing with in last years playoffs?

Old
10-28-2011, 08:21 PM
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
are you looking for attention or just to increase your post count?

if attention, your better served with a dog. if the latter, then you accomplished your goal.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
thank you for a normal response. sometimes seems like a breath of fresh air on these boards sometimes.

who was he playing with in last years playoffs?
Giroux and Carter I think? His offensive play wasn't really dependent on them at that time either...he was just being dominant on his own. He hasn't shown anything like that so far this season.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:30 PM
DayoftheGreek

Quote:
are you looking for attention or just to increase your post count?

if attention, your better served with a dog. if the latter, then you accomplished your goal.
Is English your first language?

DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
Is English your first language?
is being an ***hole your #1 priority?

Old
10-28-2011, 09:16 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I just hope we can see this kind of JVR tomorrow night.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:32 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
is being an ***hole your #1 priority?

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote