HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should it have been Briere, and why not?

Old
10-28-2011, 09:30 AM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
I've said it since the trades happened...

The Carter trade was great, the Richards trade was beyond ********. I still can't even believe it. The Flyers could have their same team they have now, but with Richards added to the lineup. That is legitimate contender right there. Just makes ZERO sense to trade Richards for that return, ZERO.
we would still have an abundance of centers

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:44 AM
PuckBoy33

Reasons why we kept Hobbit

1) he doesn't drink to excess

2) he has a better agent

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
1) he doesn't drink to excess

2) he has a better agent
1)

2) He has a NTC and every reason to enforce it.

10-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Because Briere is massively overrated by pretty much everyone in philadelphia, whether it be the fans or the management.

You remember the huge goals and the pretty plays but forget the chronic defensive issues with much more ease.

His defensive woes are so bad that even when he tries to play defense and gets in the right position, he's so ineffective that he might as well just be cherry picking. He would be more useful that way with how awful he is at doing anything remotely useful in his own end
You forgot the bad penalties, particularly his high-sticking issues.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:53 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Because Briere is massively overrated by pretty much everyone in philadelphia, whether it be the fans or the management.

You remember the huge goals and the pretty plays but forget the chronic defensive issues with much more ease.

His defensive woes are so bad that even when he tries to play defense and gets in the right position, he's so ineffective that he might as well just be cherry picking. He would be more useful that way with how awful he is at doing anything remotely useful in his own end
Always a voice of reason.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Because Briere scored more points in the SCF 2 years ago than Carter has scored in his entire playoff career
QFT...

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:35 PM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
1)

Dear God. How dare that man drinks beer.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas Cage View Post
He and Giroux are awake, yet they aren't on the ice working. Trade them!

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Unstable

Um, untradable contract?

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:25 PM
thephillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Why don't you just change the title of the thread to " Why did we trade Carter and Richards?"

Suggest you use the search function to gain some insight into your inquiry.....
That was actually exactly what I did prior to the threadstart, well I'm sorry if I soiled the forum with another thread, but I didn't feel as reopening age old threads consisting of 80 % flame wars would give me the better insight than starting a new, focused thread. Sorry though if I was wrong.

Also, my question isn't exactly why we traded, I felt we had to, having Carter, Richards, Giroux and Briere is just at least one star center too much. Giroux being our golden boy, I just wondered why Carter and Richards felt the better option than Carter+Briere, Richards+Briere, only Briere, only Carter/Richards or so. Didn't mean to upset people with bringing up an old subject though.

And I actually thought I got good responses. So I'm not unhappy with the thread. It's too bad that you are though, that wasn't my intent.

Last edited by thephillyflu: 10-28-2011 at 04:35 PM.
thephillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 04:33 PM
thephillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
I'm just going to go ahead and assume the OP doesn't watch the playoffs year after year. Trade Briere? Yeah, ok. Stupidest thing I've read in a week.
Watched every game since Briere came to the club. I figure you didn't read the OP, since that was something I brought up like 3 times.

But even though Briere scored a bit more than Richards in the playoffs, when you take defense into account the question is if Richards wasn't as valuable or even the more valuable player. I though thought Briere was the #1 reason when we went to the conference finals against Pittsburgh. But I didn't think he was the number 1 reason that we went to the finals against Chicago, that was Richards and Giroux (and they both outscored Briere up until the finals, didn't they). Though in the finals, Briere was the biggest reason that we came as close as we did.

Old
10-28-2011, 04:40 PM
alx83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephillyflu View Post
I though thought Briere was the #1 reason when we went to the conference finals against Pittsburgh. But I didn't think he was the number 1 reason that we went to the finals against Chicago, that was Richards and Giroux (and they both outscored Briere up until the finals, didn't they). Though in the finals, Briere was the biggest reason that we came as close as we did.
I must be missing something here. You just made two really great points for a counter-argument.

alx83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:04 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You forgot the bad penalties, particularly his high-sticking issues.
Yep, his lack of responsibility with his stick is infuriating and honestly just lazy

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Broad st phantom

Quote:

Makes it worth it to me, Briere in the playoffs is the kind of player you need, IMO.

Broad st phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Yep, his lack of responsibility with his stick is infuriating and honestly just lazy
I see it more of his being a little guy who's constantly taking his licks on the ice... Some people get away with it -- he does too at times haha -- but he gets called on them too often. I agree it would be great for him to curtail them, but I don't attribute them to being lazy... I may be wrong.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
I've said it since the trades happened...

The Carter trade was great, the Richards trade was beyond ********. I still can't even believe it. The Flyers could have their same team they have now, but with Richards added to the lineup. That is legitimate contender right there. Just makes ZERO sense to trade Richards for that return, ZERO.
Have you been in lock-down somewhere for the last four months or so? Even members of the media who liked Mike have insinuated that there were issues with him and the head coach. Will we ever know the real deal? Most likely not until someone writes a book down the road and spills the beans about dry island etc. To me it sure looks like you did not care for Jeff and had a crush for Mike. It's over Johnny all over.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:59 PM
thephillyflu

Quote:
I must be missing something here. You just made two really great points for a counter-argument.
How do you mean? If you do mean I made two points as for why not Briere, I made about 10 points as to why rather Richards and Carter had to go than Briere in my OP. But I don't know if it is any of these reasons in particular, like his NMC, or if it's a lot of those reasons, or all of them, or neither of them, who made Holmgren choose them when he wanted a top spot goalie... That's why I were wondering, not because I can't think of any possible reasons, but because I wanted to know what everybody else thought. But I think I covered almost every possible reason in my OP as for why not Briere, his "clutch" being one of them. The one I didn't cover, because I didn't know, was that he's taken young players under his wing and into his house. And that he probably wouldn't waive his NMC if his ex-wife with kids live in Philadelphia, which might be the biggest reason, that he actually in contrast to every other player with a NMC wouldn't EVER waive it.

But I don't know if you meant it that way, so that whole paragraph might be moot.

But if I would think "Who of these players will be most important for Flyers in the future" between Carter, Richards and Briere, I'd still put Briere last. Or maybe before Carter, since his injury problems.
And then considering Carter and Richards were the much less expensive players also, and that I could see at least some teams giving away real good prospects to get Briere for the remainder of his contract.

The thing about Briere, is that I don't think, at least in regular season, that his offense is good enough to cover for his ridiculously bad defense. When we signed him, one would've thought he would, but he never even came close to being that 96 point player in the flyers but have been a steady ~65 point player. Well, yeah his offense is of course good enough to be a good player, but not enough to justify his huge salary or enough to make him a better player than Richards and Carter, since Richards and Carter are really good defensively compared to most offensive stars. Especially Richards, who is a threat for the Selke every year, but also Carter, who I thought really made a positive impact on the PK the seasons he actually did play on it.

Old
10-28-2011, 08:37 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I don't think the beer is his. He has a wine glass in front of him, and a wine bottle on ice.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:52 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
1)

Haha, awesome.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 07:30 AM
JonnyGaloshes

lol @ dannyboy sippin with ladys! get em son..bud lites and wine spriters ftw!!

JonnyGaloshes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:40 AM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I see it more of his being a little guy who's constantly taking his licks on the ice... Some people get away with it -- he does too at times haha -- but he gets called on them too often. I agree it would be great for him to curtail them, but I don't attribute them to being lazy... I may be wrong.
At times he gets his stick up when guys run at him. That is what it is.

It's the random high sticks when he's trying to check someone and is reaching with his stick and not getting body position. Thats the lazy part

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
1)

lol @ Giroux wearing an orange shirt out of the house. C'mon playa. You think Jeter hits the club wearing a Yankee cap?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
lol @ Giroux wearing an orange shirt out of the house. C'mon playa. You think Jeter hits the club wearing a Yankee cap?
Not to mention that his girl has a little derp forming on her lip.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephillyflu View Post
The thing about Briere, is that I don't think, at least in regular season, that his offense is good enough to cover for his ridiculously bad defense.
His +/- last year was +20.

But you're right, his contract is a lot for a 65 point player, who suffers on the defensive end. When that contract was offered he was coming off a 95 point season.

That's why the majority of his shifts start in the offensive zone. The pressure last year on the HBL line was enough to keep the puck in their zone the majority of some shifts.

This season so far.. not so much.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote