HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Voynov to Manchester

Old
10-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Johnny Utah

vCash: 500
Greene is the only D man on the Kings that holds the other team physically accountable and is punishing guys out there. Other teams don't like playing against Greene, its a fact. A bunch of puck movers doesn't scare anyone, Greene is good at standing guys up with punishing hits like Doughty used to occasionally do and Blake did for years.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:03 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Greene is a serviceable 2nd pairing for probably half the teams in the nhl.

We're just spoiled with such a strong defense that we can afford to play him as our last pairing.

Learn to appreciate, rather than complaining.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:03 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Greene's also great at taking way too many idiotic penalties, his face is also a magnet for rubber.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:09 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
Martinez is ahead of him on the depth chart. That is the bottom line.
That right.. and honestly, even if someone thinks that isn't right... every other scenario that involves shuffling the current lineup around without waving or trading someone results in the same conclusion - Voynov has to get sent back down.

I think he'll be in the Kings lineup next season or sooner if a trade is made. He'll be Monarchs Drew Doughty this year and he'll do a fine job.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Greene's also great at taking way too many idiotic penalties, his face is also a magnet for rubber.
Ewwww.. Well that explains why he is so well liked in the locker room.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:25 PM
crazy Kassian
The North Remembers

if this continues to happen, I hope the kid asks for a trade

#don't bash my opinion

crazy Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:31 PM
Mr Irreverent
Put me in coach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Greene is a serviceable 2nd pairing for probably half the teams in the nhl.
Link?

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:41 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

I agree that a move is going to need to be made. If at all possible I see DL resigning Mitchell after this year and he absolutely should a long as the money and term are not crazy. I don't see them letting Mitchell walk and thinking VV is going to replace him. They play two entirely different types of game. So that leaves us in the same situation we are in now. There is no excuse for VV being in Manchester next year

ScoreZeGoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Other teams don't like playing against Greene, its a fact.
I think they love all the PP's he creates for them.

And all the scoring chances he creates for them by constantly being out of position.

And RH, there is no way he is a 2nd pair d-man on most teams. Not a chance. Greene cannot be counted on to play those kinds of minutes against quicker skilled players.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Guys, Voynov is not going to replace Greene. There's no competition there, they are completely different defensemen who provide their own unique set of skills on the ice. If there is any skater on the blueline that Voynov potentially threatens, it is Martinez.

Martinez has seniority and experience over Voynov now, but once Drewiske is out of the picture, Voynov and Martinez will be competing for ice time with the remaining player serving as the 7th defenseman. The only reason Voynov is going down is because he's the only waiver exempt player who can be demoted.

If Voynov continues to play as he did last night, he will force himself into the lineup and push a player out of the lineup. Sooner or later, he will be a regular skater in the lineup. I'm sure he understands that and assumes the responsibilities of a leader on Manchester, lead them to a strong run, and earn another call up whenever an opening presents itself.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:55 PM
BringTheReign

I know it's the smart move for the team as far was waiver rules go, but it has to hurt VV seeing kids younger than him stepping in and playing right away. There's only so much "understanding" before someone starts feel like they're being shorted, even if it's just a little inkling.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Voynov is still only 21, the kid has a long future ahead of him. It's not like his opportunity to become an NHL defenseman has been spurned for many years. He's on the cusp of cementing a spot on the team.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:14 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Voynov is still only 21, the kid has a long future ahead of him. It's not like his opportunity to become an NHL defenseman has been spurned for many years. He's on the cusp of cementing a spot on the team.
I completely forgot he was that young. What a talent, but for sure some seasoning in the AHL will do him well.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
If DL traded Matty G, who would clear the front of the net?

Now think of who is going to try to clear the front battling Rick Nash, Chara, Backes, Clowe, Doan, and so on.
Voynov, A Mart, Doughty... No
Johnson...maybe. But do you want him to take that much physical punishment, that many penalties, and get hit by a bunch of pucks?
Drewiske...LOL
Scuderi...see Johnson
Mitchell: he would be the one other guy to do it, but look at the Johnson and Scuderi answer and realized HOW much punishment Mitchell's body has taken.

He has been hit by two cars. Both cases had the car more damaged than him. He can take a puck to the face and the pain doesn't even bother him? A guy that doesn't get hurt. Or feel pain. Then think. Do you really want that up against our forwards.

Last edited by Gentle Ben Kenobi: 10-28-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:50 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

Now think of who is going to try to clear the front battling Rick Nash, Chara, Backes, Clowe, Doan, and so on.
Johnson...maybe. But do you want him to take that much physical punishment, that many penalties, and get hit by a bunch of pucks?
Drewiske...LOL
Scuderi...see Johnson
Mitchell: he would be the one other guy to do it, but look at the Johnson and Scuderi answer and realized HOW much punishment Mitchell's body has taken.

Besides- do you really want a guy that has been hit by two cars. Both cases had the car more damaged than him. A guy who can take a puck to the face and the pain doesn't even bother him? A guy that doesn't get hurt. Or feel pain. Then think. Do you really want that up against our forwards.
Who clears the net the other 45 mins he isn't on the ice? Not to mention that fact that Greene is never matched vs top lines. So its more like Greene clears Korpikoski, Cogliano, Nystrom (great job last nite btw), Jamie McGinn from out front....

I'm not advocating Greene or Voinov atm....that said Greene is ridiculously overvalued here, and has played like absolute trash the last 20 or so games he has played. And just cause Murray has ingrained Offensive-Defensive pairing for the Kings, doesn't mean that style is should be untouchable.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
I'm sure he understands that and assumes the responsibilities of a leader on Manchester, lead them to a strong run, and earn another call up whenever an opening presents itself.
It's not about understanding, I think that both Lombardi and Voynov understand perfectly what's going on.

Basically the situation from Voynov's perspective is:
- What can I do to play in NHL?
- Nothing.
- Training harder, become faster, scoring more will not help?
- Nope.

I am sure that thought like "If I'd be on 15 other teams, I'd be getting NHL salary now instead of AHL" crossed his mind at least once. And can anyone blame him, Lombardi included? I don't blame him if he is very unhappy at the moment.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Who clears the net the other 45 mins he isn't on the ice? Not to mention that fact that Greene is never matched vs top lines. So its more like Greene clears Korpikoski, Cogliano, Nystrom (great job last nite btw), Jamie McGinn from out front....
Penalty Kill?

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:56 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Let's see if manch wins their next game with VV.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:02 PM
cyclones22
3 Year Window B****!

For as long as TeMu is the head coach, there will always be a balance of stay at home guys and mobile guys. That's just something that we'll have to accept until he is no longer coach. If the Kings somehow win the Cup this season, then you'll be seeing this philosophy for longer than you want.

cyclones22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:15 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgson View Post
if this continues to happen, I hope the kid asks for a trade

#don't bash my opinion
If what continues to happen? Him being sent down in favor of Drew Doughty?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Nex06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
If what continues to happen? Him being sent down in favor of Drew Doughty?
He is not being sent down in favor of Drew Doughty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclones22 View Post
If the Kings somehow win the Cup this season, then you'll be seeing this philosophy for longer than you want.
If the Kings win the Cup this season I am perfectly fine with whatever philosophy TM wants to follow. Hell, I'll take even Brown/Kopitar/Westgarth line.

Nex06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:33 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
If the Kings win the Cup this season I am perfectly fine with whatever philosophy TM wants to follow. Hell, I'll take even Brown/Kopitar/Westgarth line.
Exactly! If the Kings win the Cup Westgarth could play goal and I wouldn't mind.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:36 PM
AStammer7*

I'd Trade Martinez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in LA View Post
Martinez is ahead of him on the depth chart. That is the bottom line.
Its quite apparent that VVoynov has overtaken AMartinez. Voynov has played solid defensively,rushes the puck pretty and has a good-great first pass. He's twice the plasyer Martinez is defensively!!! I'd trade Martinez and have Voynov up for good. He's ready and that's that!!! Philly could use a d-man maybe the Kings can get their 2nd rounder(2012) back from the Richards deal for Martinez. Kings could also kick in JZatkoff for a 4th R since the Flyers look like crap between the pipes. Hail to the King(s)!!!

AStammer7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:43 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nex06 View Post
He is not being sent down in favor of Drew Doughty.
Yes, he is. He was paired with Willie Mitchell. Doughty is usually paired with Willie Mitchell. Therefore he is being sent down in favor of Drew Doughty. Voynov was never paired with another Kings defenseman so the team was unable to evaluate him in that regard. If somebody else is injured and Voynov fills that player's spot well, then something must be done to ensure Voynov is with the team at all times.

Now if the team chooses to juggle pairings and find someone else that works marvelously with Doughty, they will trade somebody in favor of Voynov being paired with Mitchell.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:16 AM
Face Wash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

Drewiske...LOL
Scuderi...see Johnson

He has been hit by two cars. Both cases had the car more damaged than him. He can take a puck to the face and the pain doesn't even bother him? A guy that doesn't get hurt. Or feel pain. Then think. Do you really want that up against our forwards.
Greene is what I call a necessary evil. You need him, but he'll drive you crazy sometimes. Management and the staff love him, so he isn't going anywhere for a while.

As far as Voynov goes... in 44 years, I doubt this franchise has ever had this problem...not being able to find a roster spot for a Calder trophy candidate defenseman. It's a shame, but it will figure itself out one way or the other.

Face Wash is offline   Reply With Quote