HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings CHL and NCAA Prospect Update Thread II

Old
10-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekumba View Post

Toffoli and Monahan are unstoppable right now.
Thanks for posting.

Not the first time that I see Toffoli score a lot of goals around the net and 'garbage' goals. He seems to be a one-trick pony and heavily relies on his hands and shot. Before the clip I hoped I would see something different this time.

I hope his shot will be good enough for the NHL.

I can see the Dany Heatley comparison but as soon as Heatley doesnt score, its starting to get annoying. Of course I will be thrilled if Toffoli turns out be something close to Dany Heatley but hope you guys get my point.

What's your view Kekumba or other Ottawa 67 fans ?

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:48 PM
Fat Elvis

Mersch leading LA's NCAA prospects in points so far this season 3g 2a in 7 games. Super early on, but it's good to see a 4th rounder with size put up some points early in his first season.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Mersch leading LA's NCAA prospects in points so far this season 3g 2a in 7 games. Super early on, but it's good to see a 4th rounder with size put up some points early in his first season.
Its his sophomore season.

Size and points ? Michael Schumacher !

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...&postcount=172

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
rick3652

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolov 6'3 View Post
Thanks for posting.

Not the first time that I see Toffoli score a lot of goals around the net and 'garbage' goals. He seems to be a one-trick pony and heavily relies on his hands and shot. Before the clip I hoped I would see something different this time.

I hope his shot will be good enough for the NHL.

I can see the Dany Heatley comparison but as soon as Heatley doesnt score, its starting to get annoying. Of course I will be thrilled if Toffoli turns out be something close to Dany Heatley but hope you guys get my point.

What's your view Kekumba or other Ottawa 67 fans ?
He is beating last year numbers

http://ottawa67s.com/article/67-s-to...ts-torrid-pace

He has 13g 12a 25p 12 games last year 6g 7a 13p after 12 games also he is a plus 12 so get it done both ends of the ice.

rick3652 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Forbort and UND are on TV again against Minnesota. Fox College Sports Central.

Michigan is playing Andy Murray and Western Michigan so I haven't been able to catch much so far.

Minnesota-UND is one of the great rivalries in college hockey.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:25 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

Michigan is playing Andy Murray and Western Michigan so I haven't been able to catch much so far.

Hey hey I just found this channel....and I get it!!!

Line Brawl right now...well the best you can get in college hockey, crowd going crazy and refs ripping guys apart as they get taken to the box.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:

UND v. U of M on 668
Western v. U of MI 663
UMD v. Denver 683

only college games i saw glancing through the guide

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
UND v. U of M on 668
Western v. U of MI 663
UMD v. Denver 683

only college games i saw glancing through the guide
Michigan vs. WMU is on Fox College Sports Pacific. And that Denver-Duluth game will be on Fox College Sports Atlantic.

They may need a geography lesson, but I am not complaining. Anytime I can get a battle of two top 5 teams on one channel the great UND-Minnesota rivalry on another and then top it off with Denver vs. the defending champs I am one happy fan.

Last edited by Herby: 11-04-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old
11-04-2011, 09:37 PM
KingLB

5 Sioux in the box

Believe Forbort is one....

Old
11-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Alternate Jersey

sioux shut out by the gophers, forbort with an even +/-, 2 SOG, 4 PIM

Alternate Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2011, 11:56 PM
KingLB

Sioux looked poor from when I started watching.

Forbort is still really raw imo. Has good physical abilities, decent to good speed and obviously great size. But seems hesitant to "make plays" all his passes seem to be of the safest possible variety or up the boards. Not that its a problem, but seems very Skuds like instead of the dynamic player projected. That said, you can see he is a very disrupting force defensively, if anyone gets within 5 feet of him, with the puck, their possession is disrupted. Didn't see anyone blow by him like Herby reported last week, and considering Minny basically plays on a square rink with rounded edges, should hopefully be a good sign.

Old
11-05-2011, 12:07 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

I watched the end and during the intermissions of the UM game.

He looked better than he did vs. Wiscy, that's for sure. But he still leaves you wanting more. I think he'll be an NHL'er based on his size and reach, but every time I have ever seen him play he has never looked like a 1st round pick. With Faulk and Merrill at the FF you could just see the talent, confidence, swagger etc. Forbort has still yet to show any of that, his offensive game is non-existent even with UND losing a ton of offensive talent from last year.

Scuderi is a pretty good comparison at this point, I think Forbort has a bit more skill, but lets also not forget Scuderi is one of the smartest defensive players we have ever seen on the Kings.

He is still young, and he will almost surely play four years in Grand Forks and we'll see at that point, but I'm concerned about Forbort.

Old
11-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Joel Lowry

Greetings Kings fans!

Just wanted to pass along some observations about Joel Lowry from last night's Cornell/Yale game.

Lowry was impressive, he notched a pair of goals in Cornell's 6-2 win at Yale. He played on a terrific line with senior Sean Collins (CBJ) and fellow freshman John McCarron that really wreaked havoc on Yale for much of the night.

What I liked most about watching Lowry was his ability to follow plays and be in the right position to make the best possible plays. I like the fact that he competes and doesn't mind getting his nose dirty going after loose pucks and getting positioning around the net. He's got size (but then again so does much of Cornell) and skates well for a 6'3" kid. I wouldn't say he's a speed demon though. He threw a couple of nice checks in the game. His stick-handling was very good and it should continue to get better as he develops and gets more comfortable with the speed of the college game.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell. Please feel free to comment.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 04:58 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Thanks for the observations, OC; it's always a treat to get your feedback!

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 10:03 PM
William H Bonney

Watching round 2 of Minny vs. North Dakota tonight.

Forbot oozes a lot of raw skill but it is indeed still raw. Some shifts he just easily controls the game with his size, skating, and passing, which is obviously what all the scouts saw/see. Other shifts he just looks timid and torn between making the safe, smart play and forcing a pass. I think he has a lot of upside, obviously, but he'd benefit from 4 years of NCAA hockey, and there's nothing wrong with that given the defensive depth we have now anyway. I think it's more likely he ends up a Ryan Whitney like player. An inconsistent player that always leaves you wanting more but a good player nonetheless.

Grimaldi, the California kid, with a dirty snipe for his first career official NCAA goal, although he scored plenty as a member of the NTDP against NCAA teams. He's been fighting a leg injury to start this year, and thus has barely played this season, but he's dynamic. One of those kids you just say "What if he was a 5 inches taller?"

11-05-2011, 10:27 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Watching round 2 of Minny vs. North Dakota tonight.

Forbot oozes a lot of raw skill but it is indeed still raw. Some shifts he just easily controls the game with his size, skating, and passing, which is obviously what all the scouts saw/see. Other shifts he just looks timid and torn between making the safe, smart play and forcing a pass. I think he has a lot of upside, obviously, but he'd benefit from 4 years of NCAA hockey, and there's nothing wrong with that given the defensive depth we have now anyway. I think it's more likely he ends up a Ryan Whitney like player. An inconsistent player that always leaves you wanting more but a good player nonetheless.

Grimaldi, the California kid, with a dirty snipe for his first career official NCAA goal, although he scored plenty as a member of the NTDP against NCAA teams. He's been fighting a leg injury to start this year, and thus has barely played this season, but he's dynamic. One of those kids you just say "What if he was a 5 inches taller?"
Ha, this is basically what I was seeing as well. To put it in Kings fans terms....he almost looks like JJ on the PP with DD, except instead of a shift, its for long stretches...passing up shots, skates it all the way up ice at full speed, then gets to the blue line and just tosses it in the corner...almost like he is afraid of something.

Old
11-06-2011, 07:00 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Is Schumacher injured? He hasn't played the last few games.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 07:50 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Is Schumacher injured? He hasn't played the last few games.

Yeah he's missed the road trip but that should be it. It's a minor shoulder injury, I think. Just banged up.

Toffoli with a goal today.

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 01:45 AM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Hey guy's, Toffoli came up on the Sens board so I thought I would also post it here so you can read a bit more about him then just the score sheets.

Quote:
I honestly would rather having Toffoli as a prospect over Puempel and I'm not just saying that as a 67s fan.

Toffoli seems to have real good work ethic. He's improved every aspect of his game every season. Even his skating is slowly coming around. His play away from the puck is a lot better this season aswell. No one besides Yakupov does a better job of finding open ice then Toffoli. The puck seems to follow him around. He also already has an NHL calibre shot. He's putting it all together nicely.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Dave33
Still smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Hey guy's, Toffoli came up on the Sens board so I thought I would also post it here so you can read a bit more about him then just the score sheets.
Thanks, any and all updates are appreciated. I'm more excited about TT than any prospect we have.

Dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2011, 10:00 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Thank you for taking the time to share this!

Old
11-11-2011, 10:58 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Thank you for taking the time to share this!
No problem! If Toffoli couldn't be a Sens prospect, I'm glad he was picked by the Kings. I see him being a perfect fit here someday as your 2nd line sniper. I had him in my 1st round mock draft in his draft year, when he fell to 47 you could say I was stunned. I hope he makes every team including the Sens pay for passing on him.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Chicago kid Michael Mersch continues to be one of the best Kings prospects that no one seems to talk about.

Good size, good energy player, putting up some points this season. Needs to work on his skating, but it is improving.

He is going to be well coached by Mike Eaves, Kings could have a decent 3rd liner down the road.

Old
11-12-2011, 11:06 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Chicago kid Michael Mersch continues to be one of the best Kings prospects that no one seems to talk about.

Good size, good energy player, putting up some points this season. Needs to work on his skating, but it is improving.

He is going to be well coached by Mike Eaves, Kings could have a decent 3rd liner down the road.
I like the numbers I'm seeing from him. I haven't seen him play since developmental camp, but thought he was good. I think he could top out as a Ryan Clowe type of player.

I never thought his skating was that bad. He had a pro "look" to his game, but maybe I'm just reading too much into it. I'm glad he's looking good. Keep us updated.

Old
11-12-2011, 04:38 PM
Kekumba

Send a message via AIM to Kekumba Send a message via MSN to Kekumba Send a message via Skype™ to Kekumba
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p3HnrLG3TA

Toffoli clips at the beginning and near the end. Nothing noteworthy, but worth a look I suppose.

Kekumba is online now   Reply With Quote