HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do we need....

Old
10-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
so cliche. really.

problem with that inferno is this.

time will bring what ? more of the same ? we have seen what torts has. hes shown us his hand time after time. say what you will about the clown, he is, to a fault, consistent in his beliefs and his theories on winning games. he just doesnt change.

to me his tenure has been defined by 3 common traits.

1. he prefers jam over creativity.

2. he always follows up a goal against with a line of grinders.

3. he believes to his core that his "system" is the way hockey games are won.

we can disect each of those 3 traits and it will indeed define this man and how he sees the game. i submit to you that hes a rigid, flawed coach who creates an environment of tension and fail.

as one of his biggest supporters....er, uh...wait.... as one of his biggest non supporters i have always said the same thing with this guy. if we win, we win inspite of him and we win because of henrik lundqvist. we rarely, if ever, win on a night that our goaltender doesnt win games for us. period. end of story.

and patience, what of patience...

i think an argument can be made that the extended road trip was difficult. you can also argue that last night was the classic setup game- first game home after long trip teams always lose. also, home openers can be tough with the emotion and then the let down after the adrenaline wears off. all valid.

but...... why should we patient and patient for what ?

do we belive that all of a sudden we will begin to "get it" ? that the powerplay will suddenly go from panic and pass to something resembling confidence and execution? i think not. and the reason i say no is this, we have not seen anything to idicate otherwise.

we keep making excuses.... when staal return or when sauer returns things will improve. mike was back last night- played a ton. we lost. badly.

to date, imo, we have played exactly what 2 maybe 3 decent periods of hockey in how many games? i mean, the other games/ periods have been horror shows punctuated by

poor passing
poor skating
lack of creativity
no shots
poor shot selection when we shoot
pp abortions
lack of emotion
bad bad bad penalties
and way too much chris newberry and erik christensen

and all of this happens over and over and over... all i see is a team of guys skating like robots without purpose and without chemistry and without results but for a few periods.

heres some stuff to chew on while you are being patient

we have 8 points in 8 games. slow start ?
we are 29th in pp % @ 9.7
we are 28th in g/g at 2
we are 24th in 5 on 5 for/against (supposedly our strength)
we are 29th in shots per game with 23- thats 7 per period folks.
we are 24th in shots against with 32 allowed per game.
if the other team scores first, we lose so far 100% of the time.
when we trail after 1 period. we lose
when we lead after 1 period. we lose. ouch.

so i ask you, why should we be patient again ?
At least marginally more efficient in PP than 5 on 5. Mostly due to the poor GF stats 5 on 5. If this team wasn't NY Rangers it wouldn't attract much enthusiasm.

Ilovemymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:36 AM
chappie
lemon snow!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
I agree with coaching, but trading Dubinsky? Dubinsky has to be the most overall balanced player on the team, and you want to get rid of him? Sure he's not incredible in any particular skill but he's certainly above average in nearly every facet of the game. That is very rare to get a guy who does everything above average. There's a reason Sather didn't pull the trigger on Heatley-- the sens wanted Dubi. And what do you even mean that Dubinsky and Callahan can't go on together on the team? They were 2/3's of our best line just last year.
They were bad past January together last year, it's not like that line had a couple of 70 pt players on it. They were hot and carried us earlier and then after that were largely inconsistent.

Dubinsky isn't rare at all. You're kidding yourself if you think so. The reason Sather didn't trade him is because they thought they had something. They don't. His skating has regressed, he looks out of shape, he has no balance in his skates at all right now. The guy is never going to be better than a 20/25ish type guy for the span of his career, maybe with a couple of burst seasons like last year. His offensive on ice vision is bad, he doesn't see a play develop at all, especially when carrying the puck, and he's so sloppy right now it's ridiculous.

The only thing the guy's good st doing this year is taking terrible penalties. Have you seen his penalty minutes this season? That's absolutely inexcusable, but because he's one of the Tortorella trio (Callahan, Dubinsky and Fedetenko) he gets a pass.

The guy needs to go, we have too many grinders on this team as it is and he is the greatest example of our flawed core.

chappie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Jersey Girl

Hockey is such a strange game...we play like crap on the road trip but come away with point because of Hank. We play like crap for 70% of the game last night...and if not for some weak goaltending, we could have still stolen a point or two.

Here is what we need...

1. Hank to be in beast mode all the time. Games like last night, while understandable because Hank is human, just cannot happen. This team has zero margin for error.

2. Brad Richards to play like everyone who advocated signing him said he was play. It's early, and a very small sample size. But I just don't see it...yet. I'm confident he'll get it together.

3. The team to play with more intensity. This needs to start NOW!!! Half the time these guys play like they're on vacation.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
Hockey is such a strange game...we play like crap on the road trip but come away with point because of Hank. We play like crap for 70% of the game last night...and if not for some weak goaltending, we could have still stolen a point or two.

Here is what we need...

1. Hank to be in beast mode all the time. Games like last night, while understandable because Hank is human, just cannot happen. This team has zero margin for error.

2. Brad Richards to play like everyone who advocated signing him said he was play. It's early, and a very small sample size. But I just don't see it...yet. I'm confident he'll get it together.

3. The team to play with more intensity. This needs to start NOW!!! Half the time these guys play like they're on vacation.
Impossible. Even Patrick Roy had bad games. We can't have another year of rely on hank and hope for the best. Good teams aren't built that way and we shouldn't be building ours like that either.

Our problem is we built this team the wrong way. You build from within with skill an add grit through free agency. We have done just the opposite and it's killing us.

Old
10-28-2011, 11:10 AM
Ke11y96

I wonder given Boston's struggles and Rumors out there that they may make a splash would be interesting in just shaking up their roster like the Rangers need to and work something out between..

Anisimov, Dubinsky and Lucic and Krejci

Clearly we would add more but...each team could use a few new faces to wake each team up...

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:17 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers09 View Post
What we need is a system where we can gain some speed through the neutral zone so maybe we can actually gain the zone just once for a change. We need to bring the forwards closer to the defenseman to exit our zone so that people are actually skating. Instead we keep one or even sometimes two forwards sitting on the offensive blue line which hurts so much more than it will ever help. Its so easy to see its a problem because even when we do dump it in, we often cant beat the opposing defenders to the puck because our players are skating in.

Or maybe we could at least practice entering the zone on odd man rushes because we have no idea at all how to do it. The once in a blue moon that we make an odd man rush happen, the players just seem confused and end up dumping it in, turning it over, or sometimes skating into each other.

I used to be a HUGE Torts fan, but it reaches a point where the dump and chase becomes impossible to watch. Anybody who says we don't have the talent or hockey smarts has no idea what they are talking about. Toronto is not such a highly talented team like Washington, but they still were consistently able to work the puck out of their zone and into ours without having to dump it in.

This, coupled with the fact that Torts cant keep a line together for more than 3 shifts and we get to watch a team that cant make anything exciting happen.
We have a WINNER!
There is more to it than just this, but this is correct.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:27 AM
94now

We need a performance enhancement. May be medications can help... Is there such a thing as Performance Enhancement Drugs? I don't know... May be Torts should force his players to use it.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:30 AM
bernmeister

I hope to address this more extensively later, but

We need more talented finishers who can actually score.
We need more balance, a game with scoring and defense.
Although there are temporary issues with the depth of our D, we need to get a complete LW here ASAP, even if there is risk to the D as a result. McIlrath + others will get here "soon enough" -- a season or 2; but we must have scoring now.
Let's not trade future for past + get an oldtimer. We don't want Iginla for a cup run. We want a young guy like Paajarvi or better, even if a pre-elite/elite is very expensive.

That would be risky, I admit, but with enough upside to be worthwhile.
Think with such moves things better right away and as we get Kreider + over the next 2 years we slowly become Cupworthy.

If somebody wants to trade a Stepan + at a profit, take a step backwards now to go 2.5 steps forwards next yr, etc., I'm listening...

Old
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
We need a performance enhancement. May be medications can help... Is there such a thing as Performance Enhancement Drugs? I don't know... May be Torts should force his players to use it.
Valium?

Ilovemymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 11:35 AM
OverTheCap

We need a 1st line LW.

We need an offensive defenseman capable of putting up at least 50 points.

We need a real 4th line with a center who can win faceoffs and two-way wingers who can play physical.

We need to dump deadweight like Wolski and EC.

We need Stepan to take skating lessons with Barb Underhill and learn how to shot the puck with accuracy and authority.

We need Ansimov, Cally, and Dubi to turn it around.

We need Staal.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Maaxse

Caps had a 7 games losing streak last year, they ended up first in the eastern Conference. What we need is patience.

Maaxse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 10:51 PM
chappie
lemon snow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaxse View Post
Caps had a 7 games losing streak last year, they ended up first in the eastern Conference. What we need is patience.
Completely incomparable teams. It's a joke to even put them in the same sentence, really, and I don't mean that as a personal attack. They just do not have nearly the talent or ability as the Capitals.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:08 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappie View Post
Completely incomparable teams. It's a joke to even put them in the same sentence, really, and I don't mean that as a personal attack. They just do not have nearly the talent or ability as the Capitals.
Exactly right! Welcome to the New York Rangers and the world where "Mediocrity is our Middle Name."

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
It's that point of time where you pull off a blockbuster for an Iginla or Nash type. Just like we did in 1994. This team needs talent and it needs it fast. Lundqvist is pushing 30- Richie ain't getting any younger and neither is Gaborik.

Don't be shocked at all if some of the prospects like Thomas, Bourque, Del Zotto etc are touched.
Why should we be shocked. I would move all three of those guys in a second if we could get a good finisher on this team. Years go by and it seems we always have the same problem, no one who can put the puck in the net. Don't be fooled if we break out with a 5 goal game today vs. Ottawa, the problem isn't going away anytime soon.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:13 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
We need a 1st line LW.

We need a real 4th line with a center who can win faceoffs and two-way wingers who can play physical.

We need to dump deadweight like Wolski and EC.

We need Stepan to take skating lessons with Barb Underhill and learn how to shot the puck with accuracy and authority.

We need Ansimov, Cally, and Dubi to turn it around.

We need Staal.
We need a 1st line LW. Yes

Yes, but I could live with less if there was enough puck distribution and a dangerous enough shot that even if he is not scoring the goals, we are getting rebounds.

We need a real 4th line with a center who can win faceoffs and two-way wingers who can play physical. Yes. Want to give Oscar Lindberg a shot once he's available, and I'm open minded to tryouts until then.

We need to dump deadweight like Wolski and EC. Big time yes

We need Stepan to take skating lessons with Barb Underhill and learn how to shot the puck with accuracy and authority. Couldn't hurt

We need Ansimov, Cally, and Dubi to turn it around. Based on last year, as to these 3, I'm still a believer, for now --- I hope the chemistry will return if &^&^R&**( Torts stops %^$^%*& with the constant line changes.

We need Staal. We need to be good enough without him. But he is the best pure shutdown D in the league. It is amazing he played so well all of last year, given what we know now. He should be careful, not rush him, make sure he's good for the long haul.

Well said.

Old
10-29-2011, 09:22 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

What do we need...

To tell Kreider to get over here ASAP.

btw. What exactly did Stepan work on in the off-season?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
btw. What exactly did Stepan work on in the off-season?
Tapdancing and singing... for the Glee Project season 2.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:54 AM
Vitto79

They need time and Staal healthy

Kreider would of ben nice to have in the system but I still think we will see Zuccarello and Hagelin full time this yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:03 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Phil Kessel

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:06 AM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
so cliche. really.

time will bring what ? more of the same ? we have seen what torts has. hes shown us his hand time after time. say what you will about the clown, he is, to a fault, consistent in his beliefs and his theories on winning games. he just doesnt change.

we can disect each of those 3 traits and it will indeed define this man and how he sees the game. i submit to you that hes a rigid, flawed coach who creates an environment of tension and fail.

as one of his biggest supporters....er, uh...wait.... as one of his biggest non supporters i have always said the same thing with this guy. if we win, we win inspite of him and we win because of henrik lundqvist. we rarely, if ever, win on a night that our goaltender doesnt win games for us. period. end of story.

i think an argument can be made that the extended road trip was difficult. you can also argue that last night was the classic setup game- first game home after long trip teams always lose. also, home openers can be tough with the emotion and then the let down after the adrenaline wears off. all valid.

do we belive that all of a sudden we will begin to "get it" ? that the powerplay will suddenly go from panic and pass to something resembling confidence and execution? i think not. and the reason i say no is this, we have not seen anything to idicate otherwise.

we keep making excuses.... when staal return or when sauer returns things will improve. mike was back last night- played a ton. we lost. badly.

to date, imo, we have played exactly what 2 maybe 3 decent periods of hockey in how many games? i mean, the other games/ periods have been horror shows punctuated by

poor passing
poor skating
lack of creativity
no shots
pp abortions
lack of emotion
bad bad bad penalties

and all of this happens over and over and over... all i see is a team of guys skating like robots without purpose and without chemistry and without results but for a few periods.

we are 28th in g/g at 2

Not to mention, I'm all for patience, but I'd love to be competitive before lundqvist is a 10 yr vet....

I'm not particulary worried yet, but the team does look like it needs some kind of shakeup

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
so cliche. really.

poor passing
poor skating
lack of creativity
no shots
pp abortions
lack of emotion
bad bad bad penalties

we are 28th in g/g at 2

Spot on really.....

Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:52 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

We do have to remember this team is very young - and a lot of what Torts' system relies upon is the defense moving the puck, forechecking and controlling the neutral zone. The Rangers arent doing much of that because they lack the timing, speed, experience (to a certain extent) and grit right now. Its a combination of a lot of things. I dont think you can put the blame squarely on the system itself.

I do however agree with some of what Crossbar is saying in regards to Torts rigidity. In certain situations he neglects to change (or changes to often) and thats a negative for this team. I cant say that when the Rangers win it has everything to do with the players and Lundqvist (though its easy to say that with the reputation he has built, for good reason), the coach is putting forth the framework and the Rangers have to execute, so he does get some of the credit. the players make a coach look good and also make them look bad. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

I do however, think we'll put some of this debate to bed (at least imo we will) in december, when we can take a trip inside the locker room with 24/7. I'm eager to see how Torts conducts himself behind close doors with the players, and more importantly - what his in game adjustments are like between periods. I came out of the last 24/7 really impressed with Bylsma coaching style and encouragement tactics. I wasnt so enamored with Boudreau though. I wouldve have never formed as good as an opinion on those two, had I not seen all of those episodes. True, its just a few moments and a small look into a larger body of work, but i think you can get a real good sense of how a coach operates if you pay attention.

Like i've said, ive been a Torts supporter these past few years - and I like him as a coach - but i wouldnt be surprised if i see some things I dont like, that my change my mind about him. Then again, it might reinforce my thoughts, we'll see. Either way, I can't say the hate Torts has gotten unfounded. There is some validity to it.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:19 AM
haveandare

First, they need Staal back. Staal coming back will make a big difference in every facet of the game. He'll come back, McD will get pushed down a pair and they will actually get to choose the 6 best D to put in and not be forced to play this or that guy because they need a body. That will improve both the D and the breakout. Staal is strong on the puck, he's a good passer and he can carry the puck into the zone himself surprisingly well for a D man. Plus, each pair will then have more of a two way presence. As it stand now there's a first pairing that has played well but isn't really a first pairing and two third pairings.

A team is never going to be as good as it could be when a number one defenseman is out.

Beyond that, they need to hit the net more. I refuse to believe that professional hockey players need any particular quality of coaching to get more than 4 shots on net in a period. Blaming Torts for their inability to get shots on net doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not a diehard fan of the guy - I wish he'd focus on more relevant problems in practice and I wish that he's strategize harder - but he's being blamed for every possible problem that this team has right now. People complain about each player individually and how much they're sucking but then when they talk about the whole team sucking its off those players who were just being called out and suddenly its Torts fault. To me, it's not entirely the coaches fault when the team performs this poorly. The players are professionals also and they need to start playing like it.

The poor start is everybody's fault except Gaborik and Hank as far as I'm concerned. That includes Torts.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:21 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
We do have to remember this team is very young - and a lot of what Torts' system relies upon is the defense moving the puck, forechecking and controlling the neutral zone. The Rangers arent doing much of that because they lack the timing, speed, experience (to a certain extent) and grit right now. Its a combination of a lot of things. I dont think you can put the blame squarely on the system itself.

I do however agree with some of what Crossbar is saying in regards to Torts rigidity. In certain situations he neglects to change (or changes to often) and thats a negative for this team. I cant say that when the Rangers win it has everything to do with the players and Lundqvist (though its easy to say that with the reputation he has built, for good reason), the coach is putting forth the framework and the Rangers have to execute, so he does get some of the credit. the players make a coach look good and also make them look bad. The truth is usually somewhere in the middle.

I do however, think we'll put some of this debate to bed (at least imo we will) in december, when we can take a trip inside the locker room with 24/7. I'm eager to see how Torts conducts himself behind close doors with the players, and more importantly - what his in game adjustments are like between periods. I came out of the last 24/7 really impressed with Bylsma coaching style and encouragement tactics. I wasnt so enamored with Boudreau though. I wouldve have never formed as good as an opinion on those two, had I not seen all of those episodes. True, its just a few moments and a small look into a larger body of work, but i think you can get a real good sense of how a coach operates if you pay attention.

Like i've said, ive been a Torts supporter these past few years - and I like him as a coach - but i wouldnt be surprised if i see some things I dont like, that my change my mind about him. Then again, it might reinforce my thoughts, we'll see. Either way, I can't say the hate Torts has gotten unfounded. There is some validity to it.
Interestingly, in 24/7 we'll be seeing Torts and Laviolette, who were basically the two coaches most people were asking for when Renney got canned. Should be insightful to see the two of them at work against each other.

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:35 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Will 24/7 episodes be online? I don't have HBO.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote