HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Joe Colborne

Old
10-25-2011, 08:17 AM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Right now he is looking like the future #1 C for the Leafs, made a really nifty pass to Joey Crabb Sunday night and scored another to give him 12 pts in 6 games. Frankly he looks better than any Center other than Grabo on the Leafs roster right now.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:43 PM
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's

small bump

Colborne 2g 1a tonight bringing him to 15pts in 7 games on the year.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:46 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

He's flying. He put a lot of work into his game this summer, and man is it ever showing. I wish I was could catch him playing for the Marlies while the tickets are cheap before quadrupling into ACC prices!

KingBuzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:14 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Great acquisition for Toronto. Colborne is beasting up the AHL so far.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Pi

This isn't Getzlaf or Perry we are talking about. I hope we don't rush him. He should stay down in the AHL unless we're bombarded by injuries, if we win 10 games straight or lose 10 straight.

Joe is looking like a stud and is the Kessel of the AHL right now. Some AHL playoffs certainly would help him too. No need to rush him when we have Connolly as a stopgap (starting tomorrow I think..FINALLY!!!)

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:52 PM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
This isn't Getzlaf or Perry we are talking about. I hope we don't rush him. He should stay down in the AHL unless we're bombarded by injuries, if we win 10 games straight or lose 10 straight.

Joe is looking like a stud and is the Kessel of the AHL right now. Some AHL playoffs certainly would help him too. No need to rush him when we have Connolly as a stopgap (starting tomorrow I think..FINALLY!!!)
Yup, I say we keep him in the A the full year with one of Kadri/Frattin unless injuries force our hand (not that likely since we have: Grabo, Connolloy, Lombardi, Bozak, Steckel, Dupuis, and to a certain extent Boyce as NHL level centres). Frattin/Kadri-Colborne-Crabb will probably be the best-line in the AHL this season once one of Kadri/Frattin are down. The marlies should be fun to watch this season.

I'm wondering how Burke's going to make room for guys like Colborne, Kadri, and Aulie who should have full-time NHL jobs next season.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 10:59 PM
mozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
What was missed in that quote is he paid out of his own pocket for personal training this summer, that's dedication, impressive.
The fact he payed for his personal training is not that impressive considering what family he's from, but his dedication is.

mozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
Yup, I say we keep him in the A the full year with one of Kadri/Frattin unless injuries force our hand (not that likely since we have: Grabo, Connolloy, Lombardi, Bozak, Steckel, Dupuis, and to a certain extent Boyce as NHL level centres). Frattin/Kadri-Colborne-Crabb will probably be the best-line in the AHL this season once one of Kadri/Frattin are down. The marlies should be fun to watch this season.

I'm wondering how Burke's going to make room for guys like Colborne, Kadri, and Aulie who should have full-time NHL jobs next season.
Cmac, Bozak traded this year.

Lombardi probably traded next year.

Its important that Burke gets value for these 2nd line/tweener types instead of having them hit free agency and leaving with no compensation at the end of next year well working our future cheaper and potentially more productive 2nd liners/3rd liners in Colborne, Frattin and Kadri into the lineup.

Franson traded at some point this season.

And Komi hopefully pawned off ala a Brian Rolston type move towards the end of this season or over the summer where we take a player back with a lesser salary who will be bought out or sent to the minors/loaned to European team.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:13 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

I like to think of Colborne as a Kadri like prospect. Both had lead feet up until this season, and with the addition of some agility and the ability to get out of tight situations, allowing them to gain the zone make a few moves open up the ice and look for a pass and then anticipate where the puck may end up. Pass first players are very unpredictable which is a key asset.

I went to the Marlies game against the rochester americans. Kassian was on the ice as-well as Colborne, and it seemed as if Colborne was on another level of potential and skill. The kid was used in every key situation and was obviously the best player on the ice. He was a key factor in the late comeback to pull the Marlies even down by two goals with only 2 minutes left on the clock.. and of course scored the OT winner.

definitely a special player, i was even shocked to see him throw his body around and put good pressure on the defense as the first forechecker. Very excited for this player, burke is showing to have a knack to find these sleeper prospects like Gardiner and Colborne. Some whined that it would have been better to get wheeler in the Kaberle deal, however after seeing Colborne's potential first hand i would not change anything about that deal.

Great stick handling ability for such a large player, and has great vision and sense for open ice. Does not try and be a hero attempting to make plays and take players on that he shouldn't. Overall high hockey IQ.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Kulemon

Did not expect him to light up the A like this. He is definitely a late bloomer.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 11:18 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
Cmac, Bozak traded this year.

Lombardi probably traded next year.

Its important that Burke gets value for these 2nd line/tweener types instead of having them hit free agency and leaving with no compensation at the end of next year well working our future cheaper and potentially more productive 2nd liners/3rd liners in Colborne, Frattin and Kadri into the lineup.

Franson traded at some point this season.

And Komi hopefully pawned off ala a Brian Rolston type move towards the end of this season or over the summer where we take a player back with a lesser salary who will be bought out or sent to the minors/loaned to European team.
Bozak is no tweener.. he has #2C potential for sure. Is great @ PK and faceoffs and has passing ability, sadly he can't finish a play to save his life, but that is something he can learn..

Old
10-27-2011, 03:13 AM
Dutch Dreams

How do you think he compares with other relatively established, tall, top-six centers in this league, like Berglund, or Anisimov?

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 06:19 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I like to think of Colborne as a Kadri like prospect. Both had lead feet up until this season, and with the addition of some agility and the ability to get out of tight situations, allowing them to gain the zone make a few moves open up the ice and look for a pass and then anticipate where the puck may end up. Pass first players are very unpredictable which is a key asset.

I went to the Marlies game against the rochester americans. Kassian was on the ice as-well as Colborne, and it seemed as if Colborne was on another level of potential and skill. The kid was used in every key situation and was obviously the best player on the ice. He was a key factor in the late comeback to pull the Marlies even down by two goals with only 2 minutes left on the clock.. and of course scored the OT winner.

definitely a special player, i was even shocked to see him throw his body around and put good pressure on the defense as the first forechecker. Very excited for this player, burke is showing to have a knack to find these sleeper prospects like Gardiner and Colborne. Some whined that it would have been better to get wheeler in the Kaberle deal, however after seeing Colborne's potential first hand i would not change anything about that deal.

Great stick handling ability for such a large player, and has great vision and sense for open ice. Does not try and be a hero attempting to make plays and take players on that he shouldn't. Overall high hockey IQ.
A very informative post.

As with most tall lanky guys, they have deceptive speed, he just needed to work on his first step quickness to get to the NHL level, all other skills are already there, I would be surprised if he doesn't get called up some time this year if he continues these numbers in the AHL.

Ironically enough, I think his vision will be a good compliment to another former Bruins 1st rd pick, yep that one, Phil Kessel. He can see the ice better than any Leafs center on the the roster right now, and he has the high hockey IQ to play with Phil. Despite Phil's great start, almost no help has come from his center, so this will be an interesting match should it happen sometime this year.

Old
10-27-2011, 07:00 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
A very informative post.

As with most tall lanky guys, they have deceptive speed, he just needed to work on his first step quickness to get to the NHL level, all other skills are already there, I would be surprised if he doesn't get called up some time this year if he continues these numbers in the AHL.

Ironically enough, I think his vision will be a good compliment to another former Bruins 1st rd pick, yep that one, Phil Kessel. He can see the ice better than any Leafs center on the the roster right now, and he has the high hockey IQ to play with Phil. Despite Phil's great start, almost no help has come from his center, so this will be an interesting match should it happen sometime this year.

I'm starting to think Burke signed Connolly knowing that, he was going to be injured and at some point JoeC would be getting in there.

While I don't consider JoeC a bruiser by any means, it will certainly be nice to have at least another 6'4 Center in the lineup because Steckel is the only other tower in there. Lombardi, Grabovski, and Bozie are slight.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:14 AM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I'm starting to think Burke signed Connolly knowing that, he was going to be injured and at some point JoeC would be getting in there.

While I don't consider JoeC a bruiser by any means, it will certainly be nice to have at least another 6'4 Center in the lineup because Steckel is the only other tower in there. Lombardi, Grabovski, and Bozie are slight.
Hate to make the comparison, but Getzlaf played so well in the minors, Burke was forced to promote him halfway though the 05-06 season. I can see Joe playing well beside Lupul, controlling the play down low, with Kessel looking for soft spots.

Joe isn't a bruiser, nor should we expect him to be, his style and frame is more like Thornton and less like Lindros. Using his reach and body to shield defenders rather than outmuscling opponents, to watch his development this season will be fascinating. At worst he projects into a solid 2nd line center with upside to be a #1.

Old
10-27-2011, 12:55 PM
InvalidUsername

His numbers are dazzling, but talent was never the question with Colborne, the knocks on him were about his drive and desire on the ice. If you watched him in Denver you saw a guy who was a real floater, a passenger. So much so they had to move him to wing. The numbers he's putting up now suggest he's found a way to be more involved and that's great. I'd love to see him get called up.

InvalidUsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:51 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
A very informative post.

Tall guys often don't get credit for the speed they have. And I'm not sure its the speed as much as it is the long legs. On a relative basis, they may only have average speed, but because of the extra length, they can appear to be faster than they are (which is in essence the same, a larger step is just as effective as a fast skater).

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

He worked on his skating so he can get that extram jump on his steps. So heres hoping it shows up.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 07:01 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

http://video.mapleleafs.nhl.com/vide...=802&id=131296

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:23 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Colborne is in my top 5 favorite prospects. I love big play making centers. It pained me to see him get dealt to the Leafs, but being a hockey fan first its awesome to see how he's developing. I hope he's a real solid player for the Leafs in the future.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:26 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Yeah he's absolutely tearing it up. I always thought he'd be an average 2-way 2nd liner but maybe he can be a bit more than that.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:31 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Yeah he's absolutely tearing it up. I always thought he'd be an average 2-way 2nd liner but maybe he can be a bit more than that.
I think he can turn out to be a David Krejci type player. Puts up 60-70 points and is average defensively (maybe more) because I envision him playing with Kulemin/Kessel.

Certainly not the elite #1C's in the league but better than anything we currently have. I like how people said his Dad had a lot of money so he's not really inspired to play as hard as he can.

It's quite the opposite, there was an interview in the off season where he said he worked out 6 days out of 7 and worked as hard as he could on his skating because he wants to be that #1 center and this is his best opportunity and is driven to be better on faceoffs, boards etc.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:34 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Yea it looks like it was just a maturity thing with Colborne which is fantastic news for the Leafs. The kid always had a great set of tools, but it looks like the toolbox is developing nicely aswell.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:16 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Yea it looks like it was just a maturity thing with Colborne which is fantastic news for the Leafs. The kid always had a great set of tools, but it looks like the toolbox is developing nicely aswell.
He's always been a boom or bust player. Even Burke stated last year that he was either going to be a solid 4th line guy or a top 6 center with serious skill.

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:41 PM
ponder

From what I've seen of the kid he has nice hands, good vision and obviously great size, but his feet still look a bit slow for the NHL. Top speed seems OK, but I'm more talking about the quick changes in direction. He's tearing it up in the AHL, but even as a Leafs fan I'll need a lot more convincing before I start to believe that he's a future #1 center.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote