HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers make it 4 in a row. Edm 3- Avs 1

Old
10-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
Lander!

On the scoring side hes done nothing, sure, but the kid is playing way beyond his years, way beyond his years. He has looked fantastic from game one and just keeps getting better.

Lander could very well be a Selke nomination in a few years, and the points will come.

The club is pretty dedicated to defense now and Lander has been doing 'more' than his fair share. I can count his mistakes on one hand and the guy is shutting all his assignments down and is a demon on the pk.
I think that gets thrown around too easily these days. There are probably 50 prospects out there that people think have a good chance of winning a Selke someday. Sometimes a player is just good defensively and that's really where it ends.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Anyone wanna give me a recap? Halloween party took away from my Oilers time .

How did Peckham and Paajarvi play?

Gobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:09 AM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post
Anyone wanna give me a recap? Halloween party took away from my Oilers time .

How did Peckham and Paajarvi play?
Peckham made about 5 good plays to strip the puck carrier, but also made about 2-3 bad turn overs.

Paajarvi did well, had a few good chances, again the puck moves into the other teams zone when he is on the ice, but not much in terms of chemsitry with Belanger.

I think we should play the line of Paajarvi - Lander - Petrell. Lots of heart and hustle.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:11 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by the word View Post
haha... they're still touring? Great live act, there isn't any better for a metal band IMO. Been listening to their discography all week long.

you just need to post this: BUn7INeZrpk&feature=related

and you get this:

this is my favorite.
ahh thanks yeah i knew it was something like that, and lol yup they are doing their farewell tour, they are playing at the Shaw Centre on Nov. 1st...did you know that green manalishi is actually a cover tune that was first done by Fleetwood Mac? good tune, one of my faves too.

TimeForAnOilChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Meanashell11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Make no mistake he made some dumb decisions earlier this year and totally deserved the criticism.
I can see it now, the Oilers win the Stanley Cup in 17 games and your first comment will be to complain they had a loss in the playoffs. Geez, can you let it go for just a day?

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
RNH, Landeskog....
and they say there was no top end talent last draft !!

The kid wa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
Peckham made about 5 good plays to strip the puck carrier, but also made about 2-3 bad turn overs.

Paajarvi did well, had a few good chances, again the puck moves into the other teams zone when he is on the ice, but not much in terms of chemsitry with Belanger.

I think we should play the line of Paajarvi - Lander - Petrell. Lots of heart and hustle.
id prefer that rw spot to be gagner/omark

leave petrel wth belanger +eager/jones as a checking option #2

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:04 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

vCash: 50
Omark in for Jones next game. Book it.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:15 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

By the way, is anyone else concerned about the way Dubnyk has been sliding so far out of his crease this season? It's really apparent on the goal the Avs scored, but that's far from the only time he did it last night or during this season. As he's following the shooter laterally he slides way across and beyond his post, and he's been doing it all the games he's started. It makes him really susceptible to a half decent pass when he does it.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:17 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
I'll bet you anything you want that that doesn't happen.

Posters here are seriously underrating Jones' contributions to the point of cluelessness.

DisgruntledGoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014

Cup contenders

Darnell Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:25 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Omark is going to play, he has to. Who else are you going to pull to put him in? Petrell... nope. Gagner... nope. Eager with some line juggling... maybe, I'd say it's 50-50, Eager doesn't get enough minutes to be able to blame him for anything negative.

Jones has been okay, his puck pursuit was better yesterday, but most of the offence Smyth and Horcoff are creating he's not a significant part of.

I think the second most likely thing is that he's set to OKC to play top line for a bit. Like they said on Sportsnet yesterday, though he could go to Sweden, he'd be retarded if he did. He's on the cusp of a role in the NHL but he's not quite there and playing a bunch is his best path forward.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:43 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Omark is going to play, he has to. Who else are you going to pull to put him in? Petrell... nope. Gagner... nope. Eager with some line juggling... maybe, I'd say it's 50-50, Eager doesn't get enough minutes to be able to blame him for anything negative.

Jones has been okay, his puck pursuit was better yesterday, but most of the offence Smyth and Horcoff are creating he's not a significant part of.

I think the second most likely thing is that he's set to OKC to play top line for a bit. Like they said on Sportsnet yesterday, though he could go to Sweden, he'd be retarded if he did. He's on the cusp of a role in the NHL but he's not quite there and playing a bunch is his best path forward.
There's more to the game than offense.

Every time the Oilers start running around and panicking, Renney puts that line out the first chance he gets. And you know what they do? Win the faceoff, chip it out, dump it in, crash the net, get an offensive zone face-off. Every. Single. Time.

Jones may be the weakest of the three on that line but he's still an effective north-south player, he's always on the right side of the puck, he keeps making the simple plays, and he cycles down low like a dog on a bone. That's what Renney wants out of that line, that's this team needs out of that line.

You sub out Jones for either Omark or even Hemsky, and you change the make-up of that line. You add an east-west element, you add riskier passes and plays. It loses its effectiveness.

I don't see that line getting broken up unless injuries factor into it. Coaches loves line like that (and fans should, too. I haven't seen the Sedins look as ineffective against us since Pronger left town).

When Hemsky comes back, I predict something like:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Lander-Petrell

I don't see where Omark fits in. And I don't see why you would miss with chemistry when you just won four straight against some pretty good teams.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:44 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:
nope,sorry

made 2 players that eventually got the oilers the insurance yesterday. could've had a goal and an assist

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:49 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Its unconventional in pro hockey to change a lineup thats on a roll and winning every game and against great opponents. You just don't do it.

Theres enough superstition from players to coaches to org that you ride lightning and stick with what got you there.

Tough on players that are on the bubble but Omark only has himself to blame that he's on the bubble. Petrell and Lander and even Jones have simply been better players and contribute required roles and intangibles to the club.

The only player I don't know why he's in the lineup is Eager. This being about the only guy I see that is as clueless as Omark in own zone.

So yeah, why does a team playing a concerted system game and playing reasonably well defensively choose to suddenly sub in Omark?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
When Hemsky comes back, I predict something like:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Lander-Petrell

I don't see where Omark fits in. And I don't see why you would miss with chemistry when you just won four straight against some pretty good teams.
No, you don't predict that because you forgot about Eric Belanger.

Panda Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:54 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
No, you don't predict that because you forgot about Eric Belanger.
O ****, yeah.

That was something I thought of a few days ago, when I still thought it would be good to send Lander to the AHL (not so sure anymore).

Damn, we're awesome.

Old
10-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
I'll bet you anything you want that that doesn't happen.

Posters here are seriously underrating Jones' contributions to the point of cluelessness.
I agree 100%. I don't understand the disdain for Jones around here. He's just what the doctor ordered as a 3rd liner. Very underrated for his contributions.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I agree 100%. I don't understand the disdain for Jones around here. He's just what the doctor ordered as a 3rd liner. Very underrated for his contributions.
Plus whenever I see him I hear the White Stripes or Raconteurs playing. Not a bad thing.

Jones must "own" on Air Guitar..

Old
10-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah, I do remember that far back. heh. I just phrased it like that because I don't know that theres any time in between where it ever happened(although highly unlikely)

Yeah it seemed like divine destiny back then.

But then I'm also old enough to have witnessed the horror of the pre dynasty Eskimos and the pre Gretzky version WHA Edmonton Oilers.

Little bit of trivia but I attended the first ever game at Edmonton Coliseum. Oilers vs Cleveland Crusaders.
Missed the game, but I went to the Stevie Wonder/Chaka Khan concert, which was the first concert in the old barn. Should we laugh or cry?

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

When Hemsky comes back I think Lander should spend a day or two in the PB to see if Hemsky is actually okay (lol) and then he should go to OKC and play some big minutes.
Gagner can move back into the middle and Omark can get back into the line up.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler Drift View Post
Missed the game, but I went to the Stevie Wonder/Chaka Khan concert, which was the first concert in the old barn. Should we laugh or cry?
Another guy mentions "Solid gold Dancers" and you mention this.

Flashbacks?

heh, I actually saw Stevie Wonder once.. Even ABBA.. Those were the "get chicks" concerts of the times. You never found many at Black Sabbath, RUSH, or Judas Priest..

Old
10-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I want to see Hemsky as a center.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:14 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrForever View Post
I want to see Hemsky as a center.
really bro...

really...

when i first read this i was like "are you ****ing retarded"

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:17 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Another guy mentions "Solid gold Dancers" and you mention this.

Flashbacks?

heh, I actually saw Stevie Wonder once.. Even ABBA.. Those were the "get chicks" concerts of the times. You never found many at Black Sabbath, RUSH, or Judas Priest..
Damn straight. Only reason I went (well 2 free tickets didn't hurt). Couldn't pay me to attended or drag me to an ABBA or Donna Summers concert though, there are limits to ones pain threshold.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:32 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Its unconventional in pro hockey to change a lineup thats on a roll and winning every game and against great opponents. You just don't do it.

Theres enough superstition from players to coaches to org that you ride lightning and stick with what got you there.

Tough on players that are on the bubble but Omark only has himself to blame that he's on the bubble. Petrell and Lander and even Jones have simply been better players and contribute required roles and intangibles to the club.

The only player I don't know why he's in the lineup is Eager. This being about the only guy I see that is as clueless as Omark in own zone.

So yeah, why does a team playing a concerted system game and playing reasonably well defensively choose to suddenly sub in Omark?
Actually, I'm changing my mind, but not for the primary reason you cited. I think the thing that will keep Omark away from Smyth and Horcoff is the amount of ice time that line will see.

But I'm putting my money on the table that in a short period of time, Jones is going to falter and someone's going to move into his spot on that line. In the long run, I think Hemsky supplanting Jones on that line is a sure thing anyway (save for maybe 1 game as he gets sheltered ice time when he returns).

Like I said, the "chemistry", both offensive and defensive, belongs to Smyth and Horcoff on that line. You throw anyone with those two and it's going to be a decent line, Jones is just a place holder right now.