HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Who is the new voice?

Old
10-29-2011, 01:46 PM
jwolf

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
If you heard MAG's interview on TSN-Habs the other night. He said that Pearn was let go because JM was only taking advice from Pearn & dis-missing other ideas.

Did the Randy's bring this attention to the brass?

Is there a mystery man upstairs taking notes? Is BIG Brother watching? Someone is eyeballing that's for sure, but who?
Didn't see that interview, but if that's true, then something's rotten in Denmark! When management fires the one guy you take advice from in preference for the 2 remaining guys, that reeks of some sort of figurehead coaching situation in MTL. Is Martin there to do interviews and distract the media and public from the others? Is Molson (or PG) - in lieu of another viable coaching option - controlling this team from up top?

jwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:49 PM
habsjunkie2*

I have noticed a bit of change in philosophy on the ice. Relentless fore check being the most obvious. I don't know if it was the result of change in strategy or the results of a more desperate team, but this team doesn't look like the passive JM teams of the past.

We have out shot/out chanced every team except Pittsburgh and could easily only have 1 loss in 10 games.

We've seem to strike back physically a bit more the last two games as well. If this team can continue this play they may still win the division.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:54 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Not sure if that's true or not but just for the sake of throwing a name....Larry Carrière.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:20 PM
DJ Breadman

Foolishness there is no mystery voice in the shadows pulling the strings. If there's any change at all which I don't see other then the players working harder, it's because jm realizes his job is on the line and he is trying to switch things up to get any kind of a result

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:26 PM
coolasprICE

it's fine to speculate but nobody knows the direction that Molson is taking, nor do we know his level of aggressiveness and involvement he has in hockey operations .

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
We're winning as opposed to losing. Had the Habs lost against Boston (and it was a 1 goal game, so it could have easily gone either way) this place would be flooded with sarcastic posts about how Perry Pearn's firing 'really changed things'. There really isn't that much difference between how the team played the last two games and (on average) the first 8.

Fortunately, I believe that level of play will only lead to more wins, so keep it up!
+1. Cohesion was up, but only after taking a lead, which is usually the prefered situation for this team (smart patient hockey while waiting for the opposition's mistakes). Gauthier's speech might have served as a well placed arse kick at an opportune time, but that's pretty much it.

I'm still intrigued about those comments made by Gauthier during the PC though, he's so hard to read. Maybe we'll only understand in hindsight.

Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
He's the marketing guy. His first campaign is awful ("Rise together" with the face mashups), but I give him props for bringing the organ player back on saturdays.
I disagree — I think it's a great campaign, but the presentation/execution of it at the Bell Centre sucks.

Plus he's the COO, so not strictly marketing.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 04:09 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Not sure if that's true or not but just for the sake of throwing a name....Larry Carrière.
mmmmm.... We forgot about him.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 04:12 PM
Teufelsdreck

These rumors remind me of Nikolai Gogol's The Inspector General, a person no one has seen but the mere mention of his name strikes fear in the hearts of the corrupt and lazy.

By the way, Gogol also wrote a play called The Nose and I can't help thinking about it every time the Habs play the Bruins. In it, a former officer named Kovalev falls asleep in a barber's chair and when he awakes he discovers that his nose is missing. His nose takes on an identity of its own and travels about the country, creating mischief. At the end the mischievous nose is returned to Kovalev, who realizes it's all ben a bad dream. The play was made into an opera by the composer Dmitry Shostakovich and I was fortunate to be able to see it at the Mariinsky Theatre on one of my visits to St. Petersburg.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:37 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
These rumors remind me of Nikolai Gogol's The Inspector General, a person no one has seen but the mere mention of his name strikes fear in the hearts of the corrupt and lazy.

By the way, Gogol also wrote a play called The Nose and I can't help thinking about it every time the Habs play the Bruins. In it, a former officer named Kovalev falls asleep in a barber's chair and when he awakes he discovers that his nose is missing. His nose takes on an identity of its own and travels about the country, creating mischief. At the end the mischievous nose is returned to Kovalev, who realizes it's all ben a bad dream. The play was made into an opera by the composer Dmitry Shostakovich and I was fortunate to be able to see it at the Mariinsky Theatre on one of my visits to St. Petersburg.
That's one of the strangest posts I've ever read on these boards

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

CLEARLY behind the bench, the Habs have indeed a new voice. Fun to see and hear Randy Ladouceur work the bench and his D's. Incredibly refreshing.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Habs

It's called 'having your job on the line' and doing a few extra things to prepare your players.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:30 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
If you watch the TSN casts, the Randy's have taken over Pearns mid period updates. Seriously these guys seem like they have a lot to add to the team. They seem to have a different aspect and a little passion, where Pearn on those mid period talks was like a robot, like JM.

Thought the Franco's who watch RDS would like to know this insight.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:57 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
If you watch the TSN casts, the Randy's have taken over Pearns mid period updates. Seriously these guys seem like they have a lot to add to the team. They seem to have a different aspect and a little passion, where Pearn on those mid period talks was like a robot, like JM.

Thought the Franco's who watch RDS would like to know this insight.
I noticed in the TV coverage they were hunched over the players in communication fairly often. One shot, talking to AK even. Looks good. Yes also two on the forecheck and it looks like they keep pressing for goals while ahead instead of going into the "defense mode." Encouraging changes. Go Habs Go !!!

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:16 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post

Superb post. And maybe tomorrow JM will wake up and find himself to be a giant insect, trapped in his miserable room, with only his sister to help him.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:45 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Superb post. And maybe tomorrow JM will wake up and find himself to be a giant insect, trapped in his miserable room, with only his sister to help him.
I don't recall Gregor taking notes. However, in Rainman the autistic Raymond did.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Craig71

Quote:
If you heard MAG's interview on TSN-Habs the other night. He said that Pearn was let go because JM was only taking advice from Pearn & dis-missing other ideas.

Did the Randy's bring this attention to the brass?

Is there a mystery man upstairs taking notes? Is BIG Brother watching? Someone is eyeballing that's for sure, but who?
This makes the most sense to me, and was maybe the reason that Kirk Muller left to go coach in the minors as opposed to staying in the NHL. Some would say it was because he wanted to gain head coaching experience, but what if he was frustrated with Martin and his coaching style and lack of willingness to listen to any new ideas? This was probably a known issue to Gauthier and Molson and when Muller left the team. The losing streak forced management to finally do something and force Martin to listen .

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:59 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf View Post
Didn't see that interview, but if that's true, then something's rotten in Denmark! When management fires the one guy you take advice from in preference for the 2 remaining guys, that reeks of some sort of figurehead coaching situation in MTL. Is Martin there to do interviews and distract the media and public from the others? Is Molson (or PG) - in lieu of another viable coaching option - controlling this team from up top?
The way I see it, the Pearn firing is as much a vote of confidence to the other assistant coaches, and JM as a head coach as it is a warning towards Martin.
It's like saying Martin he keeps the team, and will do so unless a really long losing streak were to happen, but he has to change his ways a little.

Last edited by Naoned: 10-30-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Naoned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:13 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

You all make sense in you posts. Martin looks like the bilingual media talking puppet right now. We need to take Randy Carlyle from Anaheim to unit together the Randy tri-force

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote