HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Zino, shorter shifts if you want to stay.

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 06:21 PM
hockeyfanKW

vCash: 500
Zino, shorter shifts if you want to stay.

Was it just me, or did Zino pull some Phil Esposito-ian shifts out there tonight?

I'm sure a couple of centermen had their legs half way over the boards for a little longer than normal tonight.

Wonder if this will be addressed?

Old
10-28-2003, 06:30 PM
MJMac

I was more concerned with his holding the puck a bit too long, the announcers pointed that out a couple of times. Highly skilled players (especially the Euros) have a tendency to do that at first in the NHL. He'll learn eventually I'm sure, but in the NHL those lessons can be abrupt and painful. Hopefully teammates and the coaches will point this out to him before a Scott Stevens does.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:31 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzo
Was it just me, or did Zino pull some Phil Esposito-ian shifts out there tonight?

I'm sure a couple of centermen had their legs half way over the boards for a little longer than normal tonight.

It's only his second game.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Goalie27*

Send a message via AIM to Goalie27*
I haven't been impressed with Zino in any way.... Sure, it's only his second game, so I'll give it time, but he just hasn't proved he should be here. Give him another 5 games maybe, then if he still hasn't done anything, send him back to Providence or let him go cry home to Russia if he wants. Maybe try moving the lines around, putting him on Rolston's wing and moving Bergeron up between Samsonov and Lapointe, because those three seem to work extremely well together (like on the PP today). Hopefully Zino picks it up, but from what I've seen, he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL yet.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:42 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie27
I haven't been impressed with Zino in any way.... Sure, it's only his second game, so I'll give it time, but he just hasn't proved he should be here. Give him another 5 games maybe, then if he still hasn't done anything, send him back to Providence or let him go cry home to Russia if he wants. Maybe try moving the lines around, putting him on Rolston's wing and moving Bergeron up between Samsonov and Lapointe, because those three seem to work extremely well together (like on the PP today). Hopefully Zino picks it up, but from what I've seen, he doesn't deserve to be in the NHL yet.
Wow, I guess two people can see the world from an entirely different frame of reference.

I have been really impressed with Zino so far. He is just a really pure passer. I just wait for him and Sammy to be on the ice, because you just get the feeling something spectacular may happen.

Is he all the way there yet? No, He is a rookie, and he basically missed all of training camp, so he isn't all the way there yet. But he flashes incredible skills out there.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:53 PM
misterjaggers

Quote:
I guess we're not watching the same games because, aside from some defensive confusion to be expected of a new guy, I would say he's done an admirable job. He makes the players around him better with his passing. Samsonov has been flying since Zino arrived.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:26 PM
CombatOnContact

Send a message via MSN to CombatOnContact
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
I guess we're not watching the same games because, aside from some defensive confusion to be expected of a new guy, I would say he's done an admirable job. He makes the players around him better with his passing. Samsonov has been flying since Zino arrived.
I agree

Zino has looked good. In the offensive zone...Sammy and Zino just dance around exchanging the puck while Lapointe causes havok in front of the net. Sure Zino held on to the puck a little, but I think that shows that he has confidence and he'll learn to do more with the puck. He's a little weak on faceoffs from wat I saw so far but that's no big deal either. I think Zino paired with Sammy is quite capable of getting 20 gs and 30 assists.

And another great thing is the contrast from the jumbo line. Thornton-Knuble-Murray play hard and big in front of the net with a lot of grinding. while Sammy-Zino-Lapointe play more finesse (Lapointe not included). But it works out. Lapointe will find some scoring touch soon with these 2 buzzing around. Kinda like Brett Hull with Datsuk and Zetterberg. just IMAGINE when line 2 starts really clicking. Teams will throw the checking line out against Thornton and get tired out from all the pushing and shoving and trying to move 250 lbs bodies. then Zino and Sammy will come out and skate circles around everyone and pass to Lapointe another immovable body...and BANG 2 goals! HAHA and then comes Ax-Rollie and Berg...WOW what a team we have!!!

Anyone else notice Travis Green played really well tonight?

Old
10-28-2003, 07:31 PM
TMHUNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterjaggers
Allow me to third this motion. What games were you watching Goalie27? Zino is just plain skilled, he seems real confident to me for someone in his first week in the NHL. I compare him to Samsonov in the sense that he seems so skilled and creative that the numbers he will put up won't matter to me, just the fact that every time he and sammy are on the ice you become excited because anything could happen. Obviously he isn't as electrifying as Sammy to any extent, but he just gives me the same feeling. He had 3 or 4 opportunities in the Montreal game, and I wasn't even dissapointed that they didn't go in, it was like I was just excited to see the play, because you know if he keeps it up shift after shift they are going to go in at some point.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:32 PM
WickedBruinsGirl

Quote:
I actually agree with this, to some extent. Watching Zino more closely tonight, he wasn't overly impressive to me. I think it was issues with holding the puck too long, some poor defensive coverage and things like that for the most part. Things that can all be addressed and tinkered with.

I think he should stick with Sammy though for the whole language thing, for games especially. They work well together, and hopefully will pass more often to one another.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:08 AM
cobrak

I believe I mentioned this when I critiqued him after the Pro-Wor game. he has good talent, but tends to stay on the ice for 90+ seconds and is exhausted by the third period.

I think if he shortens his shifts, he will be better, and more effective.

Just wondering are long shifts a Russian league thing?

Old
10-29-2003, 03:01 AM
Jeff from Maine

He Is EVERY Bit As Good As Bergeron!

I have seen him as every bit as good as Bergeron!

Offensively, at least skillwise, I actually feel Zinovjev is quite a bit BETTER than Bergeron!

Different styles of play.

Zinovjev is MUCH more assertive and aggresive in looking for his game and chances.

Bergeron gets much of his offense by being in the right place at the right time!

Zinovjev is a CREATOR, Bergeron is more of the thinking mans opportunist...if you make a mistake, Patrice will be there to burn you.

Zinovjev will take you one on one and make you look like an ass!

Plus one HUGE difference is taking place as well...

Sullivan has taken away most of the centericemans defensive responsibilities from Bergeron, while Zinovjev has retained those responsibilities! Bergeron has shown that he cant handle the intense defensive requirements of the NHL game yet...too small as well as other reasons.

Bergeron HAS to fill that role, as Lapointe and Samsonov are unable to do so.

Both are playing very well, IMHO.

Later

Old
10-29-2003, 03:35 AM
hockeyfanKW

Don't get me wrong, I think Zino is playing great. A very good fit with Sammy and Lapointe. I know it's only his 2nd game, but something to watch for the next couple.

Quote:
I think if he shortens his shifts, he will be better, and more effective.
I agree with this statement. He will definitely be more effective with shorter shifts.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:40 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzo

It appeared to me that he tried to stay out as long as Samsonov did. There was one play in particular that Samsonov went in on the forecheck and Lapointe switched.......Zinovjev followed Samsonov in rather than change up. Probably just needs to get a feel for it....nothing to worry about.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:55 AM
TheBigBadB

All I can say is that line is now a threat with Zino on it...it wasnt before, but look at the last two games..that line had more chances then the previous five games combined with Green centering...give hime time..this kid is gonna be good...He just needs a few more games to feel comfortable...he already looks good out there, and plays his defense well..He got a penalty last night..but he did what he was suppose to do...if he didnt eliminate that man in front, it would have been an easy goal...He is playing hardest forward position in hockey...two games in..and I am comfortable with him there...and he will only get better...Give the kid a chance..

Old
10-29-2003, 05:57 AM
SToMper!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
I have seen him as every bit as good as Bergeron!
Different styles of play.
Bang on, Jeff.

These two guys have given a spark to their lines, given Lapointe a reason and a home on that line......and only two games in, they can only get better. Zino looks like he's finding his way and sammy is the perfect compliment. Their line should be called the "Flying V's" reminicent of the cool Gibson guitar!

I think the yutes give these guys the perfect reason to try to be a "team"...it's all good!

Now...what do we do with Zams?

Old
10-29-2003, 06:59 AM
Boston Bruno

And dont forget Moran too!

my sounding..

Zino has to keep his feet moving - he is definitly green in the NHL attack - but he HAS to keep moving. More than once the b's broke in with Sammy and zino, and he ended up just pulling a Pylon..

Still - 2 games does not a turnstile make.

He can keep up.. and its better than seeing Travis Green.

Anyone else in for someone different than Moran?
:moon:

Old
10-29-2003, 07:20 AM
TMac21
Retooled for 2014

Send a message via AIM to TMac21 Send a message via Yahoo to TMac21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SToMper!
Bang on, Jeff.

These two guys have given a spark to their lines, given Lapointe a reason and a home on that line......and only two games in, they can only get better. Zino looks like he's finding his way and sammy is the perfect compliment. Their line should be called the "Flying V's" reminicent of the cool Gibson guitar!

I think the yutes give these guys the perfect reason to try to be a "team"...it's all good!

Now...what do we do with Zams?
Like I've said in an earlier post, Zams is a great depth forward to have on this team, can play on any line and is very versatile on special teams too. Scratch Grosek and put him on the fourth line and this team gets even more dangerous an offence. Green and McCarthy should be able to handle to rough stuff on that line.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:36 AM
Mad-Marcus

My observation of Zino' has shown me that he really understands body position. Even the penalty he took in the third period was a good one in my eyes. He didn't let the guy get the shot off. He may have been overpowered but stayed with him and did what he had to. That's accountability.
He seems to bounce off more than being dumped so his balance is quite good, he stays on his feet even when being draped over. He won't hurt you defensively, is creative offensively and is only going to get better.

We are so lucky to finally have the kind of youth that will payoff now and in the future.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:01 AM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac21
Like I've said in an earlier post, Zams is a great depth forward to have on this team, can play on any line and is very versatile on special teams too. Scratch Grosek and put him on the fourth line and this team gets even more dangerous an offence. Green and McCarthy should be able to handle to rough stuff on that line.

I saw someone in the game thread mention that Zino got pulled for the final 5 minutes. I think he viewed this as a negative toward Zino, but to me that is a good thing and it just shows the quality of depth on this team

If you have someone like a Green or a Zams available to slide up to a second line to replace a more gifted offensive, and slightly less gifted defensive player at the end of a game is a great thing to have.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:39 AM
Colt.45Orr

Just for the record I am loving the Sergei-Sergei line.

Samsonov has come ALIVE in the last 2 games. He looked depressed before and was only a constant threat on the PP or 4-4... now it looks as though he could score anytime he touches the puck. Give these guys 10 games together and we *could* have a deadly 2nd line. I am not opposed to Green getting the odd shift with the second line at the end of close games though...

Old
10-29-2003, 08:47 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud
I saw someone in the game thread mention that Zino got pulled for the final 5 minutes. I think he viewed this as a negative toward Zino, but to me that is a good thing and it just shows the quality of depth on this team

If you have someone like a Green or a Zams available to slide up to a second line to replace a more gifted offensive, and slightly less gifted defensive player at the end of a game is a great thing to have.
Wasnt a big deal at all IMO. Zina probably knows he is more of an offensive player and had no problem with it...plus he is a rookie, it happens. Green is tougher and better on faceoffs so if the puck is down low in our zone he is the guy you want down there digging it out.

No big whoop.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:48 AM
rickn

Zino also did well on faceoffs. I believe he was 5 for 7 against Perrault!

Closed Thread