HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Scott Hartnell : why so much hate?

Old
10-23-2011, 11:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
I think the core issue is that Hartnell doesn't want to be here anymore. For a variety of reasons. He wouldn't ask directly for a trade, he's not a bad egg, but I don't think he'd enforce his no-trade clause either. I know that these are somewhat baseless assumptions. However, he has things he can bring to the table, but if he's not actually bringing those things to the table, there isn't a whole lot to miss. Eventually you have to cut bait.

This season was going to be hit or miss anyways. A 3-0 start got a lot of people in a tizzy, especially many around town where the Flyers, even at a small degree, softened the blow of the Phillies and Eagles going down. In a few weeks, it's going to get into the nuts and bolts of the season, and the flaws that weren't necessarily evident in the first 2 weeks of the season will turn up. There is still much sorting out to do. Meanwhile, people will freak out, because they bought into the unreasonable expectations peddled by the media, just like last season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:42 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

vCash: 500
time for an extension?

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:50 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
It's like he read this thread and decided to troll us.

10-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Snipsnap12

I like hartnell and really feel this team needs him, he brings it every night, is hard on the forecheck, crashes the net most of the time and is a 20-30 goal scorer consistently.

He hasnt been playing bad to start the season, just hasnt had the oppurtunity. Tonight he gets more minutes including pp time and gets 3 points.

there are quite a number of players getting hartnell money that are far worse. Look at guys like cole and leino, even laich signed for similar money, and hartnell easily holds his own in that crowd.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

We need to play Ottawa and Toronto all year....

Yup Harts with the hard troll....let's hope he continues and makes us all look like freakazoids...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:16 PM
clodejirew

this thread can probably be deleted.. I'm sure everybody loves hartnell now

clodejirew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilbertsGuns View Post
this thread can probably be deleted.. I'm sure everybody loves hartnell now
Word is that Holmgren after tonight's performance is swapping Hartnell's and Bryz's contracts....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:25 PM
Flyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Get him on a line where he has some sort of chemistry with his linemates and I expect he'll do much better.
He looked a lot better with Jagr and Giroux against the Maple Leafs. I'd like to see that line again.

Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:47 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
He looked a lot better with Jagr and Giroux against the Maple Leafs. I'd like to see that line again.
Most will look good with these guys, but I think hartnell could be the best compliment.

Old
10-25-2011, 07:47 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
This for sure. Seems like when there are two threats like Roo and Jagr out there Hartnell just either works harder, or nobody pays attention to him. Either way, it worked.

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:06 PM
Flyers845

Hartnell had a good game on Monday. Hopefully he continues his effective play. It's not like he doesn't try or give full effort. His 2nd intermission interview with coatsey was gold

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:19 AM
Flyerfan808

Fickle fanbase is fickle.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 04:21 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
This for sure. Seems like when there are two threats like Roo and Jagr out there Hartnell just either works harder, or nobody pays attention to him. Either way, it worked.
Honestly, I think Hartnell w/ Roo and Jagr was one of the most obvious line combinations possible... either that or Simmonds w/ Roo and Jagr (like the 1st PP unit).

Jagr and Roo already proved that another skill player (like JVR) is kind of wasted w/ them, as both Roo and Jagr need the puck on their stick to do their best work. What they need is a big body to drive the net, create some screens, and work hard for the rebounds... someone who knows how to make a difference away from the puck. Simmonds and Hartnell best fit that bill. So it's no surprise to me that the line has been at its best w/ Hartnell out there instead of JVR.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:38 PM
CTU2fan

Hartnell should be good with Giroux, in the same way he's good with Briere. They both handle the puck a great deal and that allows him to crash the net and go score those dirty goals which is the majority of what his goals are.

Hartnell isn't going to help the Flyers much at all if he's stuck on the 3rd or 4th line. I don't buy the whole "Hartnell is lazy/disinterested" angle, he's just not a good skater and he falls down, and he doesn't really mesh with the guys who'll be playing in our bottom 6. I just think they Flyers are better with somebody other than Hartnell playing with Talbot and Nodl...either Read or maybe even Voracek who's been less than impressive.

It is a numbers game...but for all the people complaining about Hartnell and his cap hit, how do you expect to trade him? Other GM's scout guys, and know what they're paid. If you were any of the other GM's, what would you realistically give up for Hartnell and his cap hit? I think if they really want to move him, the best chance is to maybe swap him for another guy who's maybe a little overpaid and/or who isn't a great fit on the other team's roster (basically a guy in the same situation as Hartnell is here). A defenseman would make sense...if this was on the main board cue the Komisarek-for-Hartnell proposals.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Damaged Goods

Funny fact: Scott Hartnell currently leads the Flyers in points per minute of ice time

Hartnell: 17:15
Giroux: 17:40
Jagr: 17:45

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Funny fact: Scott Hartnell currently leads the Flyers in points per minute of ice time
Update: this is still true.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:37 PM
teegale
Hartnell Down!

Don't ever take him off this line. He's playing awesome right now.

teegale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:38 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Like we all said. Give credit where credit is due, or yell at him when he sucks. We yelled, and now I give credit. He looks good and that line looks good. All the other lines look pretty ******. Cant wait for Briere to get back. Like how he and JVR were looking.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:41 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Like we all said. Give credit where credit is due, or yell at him when he sucks. We yelled, and now I give credit. He looks good and that line looks good. All the other lines look pretty ******. Cant wait for Briere to get back. Like how he and JVR were looking.
Agreed on all points here.

If we can find even one other strong scoring line (and I think JVR-Briere-Simmonds had the look of being this line), this team is going to be tough to beat.

Old
10-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Snipsnap12

Please do not trade hartnell, he plays his heart out and puts up points, and looks like he was the missing link to make the G line practically unstoppable.

Old
10-29-2011, 08:49 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Please do not trade hartnell, he plays his heart out and puts up points, and looks like he was the missing link to make the G line practically unstoppable.
I don't think there's any danger for Hartnell anymore.

If anyone is going to get traded now (and it would have to end up netting us a good young defenseman), I would think it would be Voracek. He isn't producing like he should be, but he's still young, has tons of potential, is relatively cheap (2.2M), and is still an RFA, which means he has a good deal of trade value.

Old
10-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post

If anyone is going to get traded now (and it would have to end up netting us a good young defenseman), I would think it would be Voracek. He isn't producing like he should be, but he's still young, has tons of potential, is relatively cheap (2.2M), and is still an RFA, which means he has a good deal of trade value.
This isn't fantasy hockey. Teams don't trade players because they are in a scoring slump.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 08:54 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post

I like him and he seems like a good player, he has created some chances and has been hard on the forecheck.

Last edited by Snipsnap12: 10-29-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old
10-29-2011, 10:52 PM
usahockey22flyers
Shot, Rebound, Score

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It's like he read this thread and decided to troll us.
5 days later, this still applies!

#HartnellDown applied today haha, he ruined Bryz's shutout!

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:06 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I've seen better balance from the Mites on Ice.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote