HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #11: vs New Jersey, 10/29 (7:00 PM, TXA21, 1310 AM)

Old
10-30-2011, 01:55 AM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

vCash: 500
Behold. Vernon Fiddler pretending his stick is a mandolin.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:04 AM
glovesave_35
Name

For those of you who don't live in the metroplex you need to know that the Stars are always going to be the 4th local team. That's just the way it is. People here love a winner and by and large you have a contingent of "sports" fans who flock to whichever teams are winning more. It's not an overnight two-week winning streak type of thing either. It needs to be for months on end and building year by year. The Stars will do better than they have been attendance-wise if the team continues to win but counting on a big (noticeable on tv) uptick before February is asking way way too much. Those sports fans I mentioned, some of whom shelled out a ton of cash for ALCS and World Series tickets, yeah those people don't have money burning a hole through their pockets at the moment. They are also emotionally spent and thus not likely to invest in another local team like people would hope, at least not very soon. Let's not forget that a lot of those same people ALSO paid good money for Mavericks playoffs games as well.

I could be wrong but Rangers baseball or no we're not going to see much difference in the crowds anytime soon. No disrespect to our northern fans, but we should really dispense with the game by game question and answer session on the topic. It's bad for all the reasons mentioned over the last two years and certainly won't get remotely better until this team gets an owner and a plan for the future. Until then, it's cheaper to go to a movie.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:33 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
For those of you who don't live in the metroplex you need to know that the Stars are always going to be the 4th local team. That's just the way it is. People here love a winner and by and large you have a contingent of "sports" fans who flock to whichever teams are winning more. It's not an overnight two-week winning streak type of thing either. It needs to be for months on end and building year by year. The Stars will do better than they have been attendance-wise if the team continues to win but counting on a big (noticeable on tv) uptick before February is asking way way too much. Those sports fans I mentioned, some of whom shelled out a ton of cash for ALCS and World Series tickets, yeah those people don't have money burning a hole through their pockets at the moment. They are also emotionally spent and thus not likely to invest in another local team like people would hope, at least not very soon. Let's not forget that a lot of those same people ALSO paid good money for Mavericks playoffs games as well.

I could be wrong but Rangers baseball or no we're not going to see much difference in the crowds anytime soon. No disrespect to our northern fans, but we should really dispense with the game by game question and answer session on the topic. It's bad for all the reasons mentioned over the last two years and certainly won't get remotely better until this team gets an owner and a plan for the future. Until then, it's cheaper to go to a movie.
I think most of us but MBStars here understand that. No offense to you MB at all, just seems you're most caught up with the attendance stuff this year.

I personally just feel it is what it is, obviously I hope it gets better but I know it probably won't see great gains until next year, and that's contingent on us making a playoff run. Though I do find it hypocritical when fanbases like the Yotes or Devils talk **** about us. Like their franchises do any better consistently.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:01 AM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post

I agree strongly with this statement... And I am a "northern" fan.... I know a lot of us Canadian fans take for granted the strong attendance at our local rinks but we often conveniently forget that this was not always the case. Just a decade ago teams like the Sens and Flames played in front of sparse crowds and there was talk of possible relocation. The fact is attendance boils down to pretty much two things Team Performance and Money. And in my opinion it's pretty clear that even team performance takes a backseat to a teams finances.

The evidence is clear when you look at the state of Canadian teams in the late 90's early 00's. When I look specifically at the Sens, Flames, and Leafs they have all had relatively lengthy playoff droughts in the past twenty years yet in was only the Sens and the Flames that struggled with attendance. It's clearly not because one is a "hockey market" and the other two aren't, which is an excuse I hear all the time as to why Dallas has poor attendance (does no one remember the beginning of this century). No all three are rabid hockey bases, the issue was that the sens and flames struggled in a time where the Canadian dollar was at about 60 cents american, whereas the Maple Leafs are and have always been one of the richer teams in the league.

Without an owner, or at least an owner with money, the payroll is smaller, which in turn makes it more difficult to compete, which in turn makes fringe fans start to lose interest, which in turn requires the need for more marketing and exposure, which is more difficult to do because of the aforementioned lack of money. It's a vicious cycle.

That being said it's a cycle that many if not most (including Canadian) teams have gone through. And with a new owner on the horizon there is reason to be optimistic that the turnaround will occur sooner than later. Regardless I agree with glovesave_35 that it is pointless and counterproductive to talk about and ask about the attendance in every single thread. These things happen in cycles and until we start hearing rumours of the Stars moving let's just let it be what it is and leave it to the journalists to write about it when they have nothing better to talk about.

DMaz16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:56 AM
Brand New Stars

I saw some girl I know at the game tonight amd she got her phone case signed by CJ Wilson at the game. I wish I had seen him there so I could thank him for letting down thousands and thousands of Ranger fans.

Brand New Stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:59 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I think most of us but MBStars here understand that. No offense to you MB at all, just seems you're most caught up with the attendance stuff this year.

I personally just feel it is what it is, obviously I hope it gets better but I know it probably won't see great gains until next year, and that's contingent on us making a playoff run. Though I do find it hypocritical when fanbases like the Yotes or Devils talk **** about us. Like their franchises do any better consistently.
None taking, most of you here probably have a better understanding of why our attendance is down. I'm less aware of the situation because i'm living in Montreal and I don't understand everything as i'm only 17.

Sorry if i'm annoying people here, I just hate to see empty seats in a city I know could fill that arena up again. Guess it just takes time.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:31 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
Sorry if i'm annoying people here, I just hate to see empty seats in a city I know could fill that arena up again. Guess it just takes time.
It's cool, it just really does take time. So many things factor into sports attendance around here. For as long as I've been here this place has been a city of transplants which is another factor in all of this.

Old
10-30-2011, 03:38 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
I saw some girl I know at the game tonight amd she got her phone case signed by CJ Wilson at the game.
A little OT but that guy...something about him. He's like that doucher kid who doesn't realize he's a doucher and because he doesn't realize it that almost makes it alright, although it still totally annoys you that he's a bit of a doucher.

Happy trails CJ. I'm ready for a kick at the can with Yu Darvish. At least if he says something overly cocky we can chalk it up to a question of language barrier.