HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel Alfredsson

View Poll Results: How many games does Wolski get suspended for the hit?
One 10 7.19%
2-4 63 45.32%
5+ 43 30.94%
None 23 16.55%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2011, 08:52 AM
koreaboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Did Steckel get suspended for the hit on Crosby? It's been a while but I don't think he did.
your point actually helps my argument more than yours. the fact steckel wasn't suspended for a dirty hit on a star player made it clear to everyone that we have to get serious about headshots. its one of the major reasons why shanny is in there now and the new rules were put in place.

i said that if this punk doesn't get suspended then all that is out the window, and your point reinforces that. either he lets wolski go and we go back to the days of steckel knocking out crosby, or we are still in crackdown mode where shanny and the NHL said headshots on defenceless players won't be tolerated. i guess we'll see soon.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:03 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
How many do I want him to be suspended? 3-5.

How many do I think he'll be suspended? 0-1.

This.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:26 AM
shootingrubber

Have we heard any updates on Alfredsson yet?

shootingrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:31 AM
great1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFanDan View Post
Did Steckel get suspended for the hit on Crosby? It's been a while but I don't think he did.

Shanny is going to look at Wolski's (Sp?) record too and whether or not Alfredsson recovers quickly. I'd very much like Wolski to get 4+ games but all I gotta say is I expect Neil to come home with a bag full of treats (in this case, the shrunken heads of Connolly, Kessel, Schenn, Grabovski...).
To be honest I didn't think Steckel's hit on Crosby was suspension or penalty worthy, Crosby skated right into Steckel and I don't think either player made eye contact. I hate to defend the guy with him now being a leaf but that is my opinion on that hit.

Wolski on the other hand looked like he knew what he was doing and should be suspended.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:43 AM
Robin Lehner*

If i can remember correctly Steckel tried to avoid the hit, while Wolski leaned into him.

Robin Lehner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:52 AM
Tuna99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
How many do I want him to be suspended? 3-5.

How many do I think he'll be suspended? 0-1.
I'll say 8 games. It's a late hit, head shot, targeted the head, on the NHL's longest serving Captain in a defenseless position. Wolski is also a floater so for him to do that is a chicken-**** move and Shannahan hates that kind of stuff and will punish him for it.

And Konopka will get 1 or Zero games because his hit was on the side and he took a 5 minute major. It wasn't dirty like Wolski's was.

Tuna99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:54 AM
Robin Lehner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post
I'll say 8 games. It's a late hit, head shot, targeted the head, on the NHL's longest serving Captain in a defenseless position. Wolski is also a floater so for him to do that is a chicken-**** move and Shannahan hates that kind of stuff and will punish him for it.

And Konopka will get 1 or Zero games because his hit was on the side and he took a 5 minute major. It wasn't dirty like Wolski's was.
this
/thread

Robin Lehner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:27 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna99 View Post

The hit on Alfie will bring a suspension, the number of games will determine how serious the NHL is about headshots, specially on unsuspecting or defenseless players.

However it is interesting to read the rules on the penalty assessed on the play.

Rule 48 - Illegal Check to the Head

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A lateral or blind side hit to an opponent where the head is targeted and/or the principal point of contact is not permitted.

48.2 Minor Penalty - There is no provision for a minor penalty for this rule.

48.3 Major Penalty - For a violation of this rule, a major penalty shall be assessed (see 48.4).

48.4 Game Misconduct – An automatic game misconduct penalty shall be assessed whenever a major penalty is assessed under this rule.

48.5 Match Penalty - The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent with an illegal check to the head.

48.6 Fines and Suspensions – Any player who incurs a total of two (2) game misconducts under this rule, in either regular League or playoff games, shall be suspended automatically for the next game his team plays. For each subsequent game misconduct penalty the automatic suspension shall be increased by one game.

Leaves the question about what rule the referees were using to call only a minor penalty for this infraction.

In the Konopka case, there be shouldn't be additional punishment.

However Shanahan should be looking into why a player lay on the ice for over a minute, the result of a check that was deemed by the referee to fit rules:

41.1 Boarding – A boarding penalty shall be imposed on any player or goalkeeper who checks an opponent in such a manner that causes the opponent to be thrown violently in the boards. The severity of the penalty, based upon the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, shall be at the discretion of the Referee.

41.3 Major Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a major penalty, based on the degree of violence of the impact with the boards, to a player guilty of boarding an opponent (see 41.5).

41.5 Game Misconduct Penalty - When a major penalty is imposed under this rule for a foul resulting in an injury to the face or head of an opponent, a game misconduct shall be imposed.

Yet the player wasn't sent to the team's quiet room according to NHL protocol and was back on the ice one shift later. Therefore no injury resulted from this play and obviously the referee was duped into making this call.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:32 AM
GreatStateofHockey

Guys the suspension is out of our hands. You need to start worrying more about Alfie, if he has a concussion it could be career ending.

GreatStateofHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:39 AM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZibanejad View Post
Guys the suspension is out of our hands. You need to start worrying more about Alfie, if he has a concussion it could be career ending.
Any concussion could be career ending, but at the same time it may only be a few days.

Besides, it isn't even known if he was concussed, and if it was a serious concussion I doubt they would allow him to fly home immediately.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Colinitus
PSN Survivor

Agreed that the Steckel hit set the example of what is not acceptable & that hit was the first thing that came to mind when watching the replay.

Hope your ok Alfie. Shake it off.. The all star teams aren't going to pick themselves..

Colinitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Northern Neighbour

Shanahan has been pretty consistent when handing out suspensions, specifically he doesn't take into consideration if a player is a "star" or not; it's the hit that matters nowadays.

Wolski probably will get a suspension - 2 games is my guess, which is what MacArthur received for a similar hit. It didn't look like a devastating hit, though, and there's no intent to injure.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:15 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
From the Sun:
http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/10/30/...tle-of-ontario
Alfredsson had concussion-like symptoms when he was helped off the ice by trainer Gerry Townend with 8:51 left in the third period of the victory after the elbow by Wojtek Wolski. Bobby Butler will take Alfredsson’s place.

Alfredsson wasn’t available to speak to the media for the second straight day.

“He’s still being evaluated,” said coach Paul MacLean.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:18 PM
shootingrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
From the Sun:
Alfredsson had concussion-like symptoms when he was helped off the ice by trainer Gerry Townend with 8:51 left in the third period of the victory after the elbow by Wojtek Wolski. Bobby Butler will take Alfredsson’s place.

****. I hope he doesn't have a concussion.

Old
azrok22

Quote:
SunGarrioch Bruce Garrioch
No hearing skedded for Wojtek Wolski. Don't think any further discipline coming.
Don't recall the details: I know longer suspensions (>5 games?) are not available unless an in-person hearing occurs, but does no hearing mean no suspension at all? Is a phone hearing also required to suspend for a lower amount of games?

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HSF

Quote:
From the Sun:

why call up Filatov if Butler is playing?

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:19 PM
shootingrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Don't recall the details: I know longer suspensions (>5 games?) are not available unless an in-person hearing occurs, but does no hearing mean no suspension at all? Is a phone hearing also required to suspend for a lower amount of games?
Wtf if true

Old
10-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Double standard bush league.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:23 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSF View Post
why call up Filatov if Butler is playing?
In case konopka gets suspended.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:26 PM
pepty

vCash: 400
http://twitter.com/#!/SunGarrioch

No hearing skedded for Wojtek Wolski. Don't think any further discipline coming.

pepty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:28 PM
Afro Thunder*

Wtf That Better Not Be True, If It Is Then This Bush League Really Has Something Against The ****ing Organization!

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:39 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Anyone know how long he's out for?

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:47 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KONOHA View Post
Anyone know how long he's out for?
If it's a concussion, any prognosis would essentially be a guess, because concussions are probably the worst injuries to calculate missed time for.

If it's severe, like Crosby's, you'd be measuring the missed time in months. If it's minor, which is more likely, it could be a matter of days.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:48 PM
oilers4life5

Quote:

Sutton did the same type hit on Landy from Col and he will get like a 5 game suspension for being tall, dont get how the NHL works, Wolski should be suspended for at least 5

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:10 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:

What does no hearing mean?

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote