HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you play Gill or Emelin?

View Poll Results: Would you make Gill a healthy scratch in order to play Emelin?
Yes 82 59.85%
No 55 40.15%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
Come the playoffs (yes Habs will be there) a healthy and rested Gill and Spacek is important. I would rotate/scratch them along with Diaz and Emelin.

Having said that, I want to believe when Markov gets back, Emelin's performance with go to another level with the russian tutelage...
That language issue really is a big one imo.

Who talks to him during games right now? I imagine there are things you need to know out there, coaches messages, positioning etc. Good hockey players are always communicating. I can't imagine playing in the strongest league in the world and not understanding a thing the coaching staff or teammates are saying.

I wonder how exactly that works. Do they have a translator for him?

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:51 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
That language issue really is a big one imo.

Who talks to him during games right now? I imagine there are things you need to know out there, coaches messages, positioning etc. Good hockey players are always communicating. I can't imagine playing in the strongest league in the world and not understanding a thing the coaching staff or teammates are saying.

I wonder how exactly that works. Do they have a translator for him?
Kostitsyn

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 12:58 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Kostitsyn
Yeah I thought of that but I don't remember ever seeing the two talk. Could very well be that I simply didn't notice though. Seems to me Andrei is a bit on the reserved side.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:08 PM
capnk

You "Sit Gill" people have to look at the big picture.
Seriously.

Gill is NOT flashy. He's not mobile and he's about as slow as a grandma at Costco with a shopping cart full of adult diapers.

But he has way more experience and if given a choice between Gill and Emelin, with under 5 NHL games under his belt, any coach, ANY COACH in the NHL would choose Hal Gill over Alexei Emelin to be on the ice as he is the best option of the two to field a WINNING line-up.
Gill also brings a tonne of leadership which makes other players around him better.
And his value on the PK is huge.

Not to disparage Emelin. I really like what I see and think he'll be a solid d-man in the NHL. But right now? I choose Gill the Thrill.

Maybe the poll should be Emelin or Diaz. I'd rotate those two depending on the opponent. More physical opponent = Emelin.

capnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnk View Post
You "Sit Gill" people have to look at the big picture.
Seriously.

Gill is NOT flashy. He's not mobile and he's about as slow as a grandma at Costco with a shopping cart full of adult diapers.

But he has way more experience and if given a choice between Gill and Emelin, with under 5 NHL games under his belt, any coach, ANY COACH in the NHL would choose Hal Gill over Alexei Emelin to be on the ice as he is the best option of the two to field a WINNING line-up.
Gill also brings a tonne of leadership which makes other players around him better.
And his value on the PK is huge.

Not to disparage Emelin. I really like what I see and think he'll be a solid d-man in the NHL. But right now? I choose Gill the Thrill.

Maybe the poll should be Emelin or Diaz. I'd rotate those two depending on the opponent. More physical opponent = Emelin.
Interesting choice of words.

Agreed though, about Gill anyway.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:13 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Yeah I thought of that but I don't remember ever seeing the two talk. Could very well be that I simply didn't notice though. Seems to me Andrei is a bit on the reserved side.
Well I would they must from time to time since Kostitsyn is the only one that speaks Russian on the team until Markov is back.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Well I would they must from time to time since Kostitsyn is the only one that speaks Russian on the team until Markov is back.
I don't want to insinuate that I know Andrei Kostitsyn personally, but from interviews, watching him on the bench he doesn't look like the most talkative guy out there. Not to mention he is a forward and Emelin is a D. They aren't sitting near each other on the bench. When Ladouceur talks to his defensemen on the bench it's not like Andrei can get in there and listen and translate.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:32 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I don't want to insinuate that I know Andrei Kostitsyn personally, but from interviews, watching him on the bench he doesn't look like the most talkative guy out there. Not to mention he is a forward and Emelin is a D. They aren't sitting near each other on the bench. When Ladouceur talks to his defensemen on the bench it's not like Andrei can get in there and listen and translate.
Well it's my understanding that Emelin understands English somewhat but doesn't speak it well, plus I'm sure if there's an issue they would go to Kostitsyn if they had to.

Old
10-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Well it's my understanding that Emelin understands English somewhat but doesn't speak it well, plus I'm sure if there's an issue they would go to Kostitsyn if they had to.
Oh I see. I thought he didn't understand it at all.

Old
10-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Dekar

How about both? Play Emelin on the 3rd pairing regularly to give him some consistency and experience, and keep Gill as a 7th for special teams duty.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 06:31 PM
habsjunkie2*

I said no for now. The habs D is still too green, I don't want 3 inexperienced d every game. When Markov comes back and you want to give a guy a night off, I have np or if you want to sub him in with diaz/weber on occasion, by all means, 3 rookies on d is too much.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:15 PM
HockeyHD
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
I think Emelin will play next game and Diaz will sit
Diaz should not be sitting. He's playing great, saved a goal last night. No reason to sit him.

HockeyHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 07:19 PM
LesCanadiens

You have to play Gill. It always takes him time to get his timing - which is crucial due to his obvious lack of speed. Emelin will get his chances.

LesCanadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:18 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Article today suggests when Markov comes back it will put Emelin into the 8 spot on D and to Hamilton where he then may decide to go home. The big picture should be to let Markov and Yemelin practice together and then rotate Gill, Spacek and Emelin throughout the year. Next year Gill is gone and Emelin stays in the lineup.
You may only have one extra forward for the black aces, but you don't lose Emelin!
Of course when Campoli comes back you have another issue, but you KEEP all these Dmen around and rotate to keep them fresh for a long season.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:31 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Article today suggests when Markov comes back it will put Emelin into the 8 spot on D and to Hamilton where he then may decide to go home. The big picture should be to let Markov and Yemelin practice together and then rotate Gill, Spacek and Emelin throughout the year. Next year Gill is gone and Emelin stays in the lineup.
You may only have one extra forward for the black aces, but you don't lose Emelin!
Of course when Campoli comes back you have another issue, but you KEEP all these Dmen around and rotate to keep them fresh for a long season.
Yeah this is what I've been concerned about. There is no question about Emelin's skills and losing him in this way would be unfortunate. Sorry I'm dumb re: waivers. Emelin, Diaz and Weber, where do they stand -- do they have to clear waivers to be sent to Hamilton?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekar View Post
How about both? Play Emelin on the 3rd pairing regularly to give him some consistency and experience, and keep Gill as a 7th for special teams duty.
You know what, that's not a bad idea, and it would get Darche the F off this team too!

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:33 AM
JohnLennon

Spacek has been awesome. He blocked 21 shots in the last three games. Outstanding.

As for the poll, I would keep Gill. We all know he is a premier defensive d-man, but he always has slow starts to his seasons. Let him play it out and he will drastically improve by the end. How easily do some posters forget that he has always been the key to our PK?

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

It won't be long before another D goes down...

It is rare to play all 82 games now.

Emelin will get his chance.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:04 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
It won't be long before another D goes down...

It is rare to play all 82 games now.

Emelin will get his chance.
yes.

+ the Habs could not afford to dig themselves into a deeper hole to start the season. They needed Gill's experience.

Price has also stepped up his game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
You know what, that's not a bad idea, and it would get Darche the F off this team too!
Bad idea. We have a 4th line that is clicking. Don't touch it. Especially to play a D-man up front.

Yemelin will have his chances later.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-30-2011 at 11:07 AM. Reason: merge
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:44 AM
The Right Price

I would rotate the D men. Keeps them fresh.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
No way I know he's at the bottom end now, but IMO they will want to test Markov and Emelin together before anything else. I think it'll make a world of difference when he's playing with the best Russian Defenceman since Fetisov.

I know it's not popular, but send off Diaz (unfortunate, but the contracts permit it).
we all know it's temporary, and there is a spot for him on this team.

IMO we have a plethora of defencemen. I think Gauthier will swing a move or two with a couple of them.

But I digress you dont throw away a talent like Emelin... That's a big drawback to this team if he does that.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Maliki2

Gill has been horrible. We couldn't be any worse with whomever we put in there to be honest.

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:48 AM
habfaninvictoria

Gill is a beast on the PK that's why he's here. Unfortunately the injuries require him to play outside his comfort zone of minutes. Emelin can't replace Gill on the PK.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Subnordi

I've been seeing some rotation posts. Sounds like a good idea to me, Gill's a key guy on our PK, and is great in the dressing room, so I don't think I'd sit Gill all the time for Emelin, although Emelin will be a large part of our future success, I say we rotate him in and out of games with Spacek and Gill, more so Spacek.

Subnordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Yeah this is what I've been concerned about. There is no question about Emelin's skills and losing him in this way would be unfortunate. Sorry I'm dumb re: waivers. Emelin, Diaz and Weber, where do they stand -- do they have to clear waivers to be sent to Hamilton?
For sure Diaz doesnt... which is why I think he goes before the fate of Emelin is decided. I bet he knows he's here filling in for Markov IMO.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote