HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Bruce Garrioch: "Many believe Gauthier will be the next out the door"

Old
10-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Habsfan18
The Future

vCash: 500
Bruce Garrioch: "Many believe Gauthier will be the next out the door"

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18898741.html

Bruce Garrioch is a bit sketchy to me as an "insider" but I thought I'd post this anyways to see what you guys think.

The timing seems a bit odd, considering we've won 3 in a row..

Quote:
Many believe he’ll be next out the door and that’s the whisper among NHL types as well. So, who will be his replacement? Here are two names to listen for: Former Habs GM Bob Gainey. He could be brought back and if that happens, coach Jacques Martin will be fired.
Quote:
Another more likely possibility is Tampa assistant GM Julien Brisebois. He left the Habs to take work with Bolts GM Steve Yzerman and was a key figure in the hiring of coach Guy Boucher. Brisebois worked closely with Boucher when Boucher was the coach of the Canadiens’ AHL affiliate in Hamilton

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:14 AM
Habs

If Gainey came back, I'll never watch this team again and lose respect for this franchise forever. The man set this team back a decade, his trades were among the worst ever this franchise has ever witnessed.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:15 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Meh, I never care about what Bruche Garrioch say. I'll believe it when someone like Bobby Mac or Pierre Lebrun confirms it.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:21 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Those are some strange options for replacements.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bruce Garrioch doesn't know **** about the Senators, doubt he knows any better about the Habs.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:25 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18898741.html

Bruce Garrioch is a bit sketchy to me as an "insider" but I thought I'd post this anyways to see what you guys think.

The timing seems a bit odd, considering we've won 3 in a row..
Brisebois is mainly a $$$ guy. he,s good with contracts. Hockey wise, I doubt he knows that much. And PLEASE, no more Gainey.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If Gainey came back, I'll never watch this team again and lose respect for this franchise forever. The man set this team back a decade, his trades were among the worst ever this franchise has ever witnessed.
Still hate the Rivet to SJ for Gorges + 1st (Pacioretty)?

Gomez is the only true blunder by Gainey, hopefully with the way the team is playing tho that he has a hard time cracking the line up again.

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:26 AM
DumFries

Quote:
Rejean Houle says hello!!

DumFries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:29 AM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfanatical View Post

Gomez is the only true blunder by Gainey, hopefully with the way the team is playing tho that he has a hard time cracking the line up again.
His trade Ribeiro for Niinimaa is a great one too...

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Hemlor

I think if you look at the time Gainey was here, you will see that he did a good job rebuilding and restocking the prospect pool. Some of his trades and signings worked, some didn't, but that is true of any GM. I se no evidence that Gainey set back the franchise 10 years. Please elaborate if you are going to make such a remark.

Hemlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:37 AM
XperHFB

Quote:
Kind of hard to do worst then Rejean Houle.

At least Gauthier brought us players with names....like camallari, gomez, Cole, gionta, spacek...Gainey was really good in terms of setting the team straight. Hey he brought kovalev man....Honestly since that move we have been a better team... missing the playoffs only once.

People who complain about Gauthier and Gainey rly dont know what they are talking about. I agree though Gauthier has made allot of bad decisions this summer but i'm pretty sure the risks he took were calculated. It just happend that things went bad for a moment and every one was panicking.

If we fire gauthier who will we replace him with? In montreal your kind of stuck with the language so honestly Gauthier wont get fired any time soon.

XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:37 AM
The Right Price

Why would PG get the boot after three straight wins against, what should be, Playoff teams? Garrioch is a little late to the party that was a week ago. Never seen him report anything groundbreaking ever anyway.

Overall Gainey did more good to the franchise than bad, but his time with the team is over. In the distant future I wouldn't be completely against having JM as GM and Boucher behind the bench.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Miller Time

only thing worse than keeping PG, would be to bring back Gainey

I'd rather let PG continue to stumble around then revisit St.Bob.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:40 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Gainey did not set this team back a decade.

Bob made a bunch of moves, some good, some bad, but the OVERALL RESULTS were that the team was top-3 in the league for improvement in point totals during his tenure versus the previous five years.

Furthermore, when he left, there were still good prospects left.

Improvement while still having prospects left is the best measure for how a GM did.

Conclusion: a very much above average job, despite the errors that we now see (with hindsight).

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:41 AM
MTL-rules

Are you ****ing ******** me ? People are still defending Gainey ? He's a horrible GM...

Firing Gauthier would be a step in the right direction in order to move out from the Gainey era... so bringing him back to the job would be two steps backwards.

... but before Gauthier, getting rid of Gomez any way possible should be the no1 priority.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Habs

Quote:

Really? Ribeiro? You like the Latendresse move? The Gomez trade, and giving up such a promising young blueliner? Getting rid of Grabovski for nothing? Yet you only bring up the Gorges move?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:45 AM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
His trade Ribeiro for Niinimaa is a great one too...
So you would prefer to have cancers like Ribeiro, Grabs and SK back on the team? I agree that Gainey couldve got more but a cancer is a cancer in the locker room

Old

Gauthier >>> Gainey.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BaseballCoach

Quote:

Blunder or not, we have been competitive since Gomez was acquired and could not even use all of our cap space this season.

If Plekanec went down for any length of time, Gomez would be indispensable. You can't compete in the NHL with Eller-Desharnais-Nokelainen-Engqvist.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:47 AM
The Right Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Blunder or not, we have been competitive since Gomez was acquired and could not even use all of our cap space this season.

If Plekanec went down for any length of time, Gomez would be indispensable. You can't compete in the NHL with Eller-Desharnais-Nokelainen-Engqvist.
You can't compete in the NHL with Gomez and his salary

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:49 AM
couris

Gainey a horrible GM?hahahaahahaha haters gonna hate.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Habsfanatical

Quote:

If were going to play the what if game, I'm more concerned with Price going down for a long period of time then if Pleks does and either way, we'd be screwed losing anymore of our core guys regardless of position

Old
10-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Hemlor

Quote:
Really? Ribeiro? You like the Latendresse move? The Gomez trade, and giving up such a promising young blueliner? Getting rid of Grabovski for nothing? Yet you only bring up the Gorges move?
Ribeiro and Grabo were addition by subtraction, both had lost the respect of their teammates. The Lats trade ended up being junk for junk, check his stats in Minny. The Gomez trade was bad, not for the contract, but for giving up a blueline prospect, but at least they have 2 good prospects in the system to compensate. And since the Gomez trade is always brought up to defend your arguement, I think it is only fair to bring up the Gorges and Pacioretty trade to defend Gainey. And yes, it was Gorges and Pacioretty, don't forget that. It's a little surprising to me that people still refer to it as the Gorges trade when it is becoming clear that the real prize in that trade was drafting Pacioretty. But you seem to be set in your ways, ignoring any facts that don't support your arguement, so it's okay, keep hating

Old
10-30-2011, 11:53 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Come on it's ridiculous it's like saying Budaj is extremely important to the team if Price gets injured.

A player like Gomez could easily be find in a trade if Plekanec is injured... at 7.3mil, he isn't worth it... and to think we gave McDonagh.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Hemlor

And more importantly, if you were to ask any GM in the league about Gainey, and what he brought to the team, and what he contributed to the league, maybe you would see things a little different.