HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruce Garrioch: "Many believe Gauthier will be the next out the door"

Old
10-30-2011, 11:54 AM
XperHFB

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Are you ****ing ******** me ? People are still defending Gainey ? He's a horrible GM...

Firing Gauthier would be a step in the right direction in order to move out from the Gainey era... so bringing him back to the job would be two steps backwards.

... but before Gauthier, getting rid of Gomez any way possible should be the no1 priority.
Go watch some more hockey. Watch the 1994 to 2004 era and come back at us. Those 10 years might have been the worst 10 years in the history of our organisation. since 2004 the team is once again competitive. And thats directly related to Gainey's work. And since Gauthier came in we have one ECF and 1 round which we lost against the Stanley cup winners.

So honeslty im very very very satisfied with their work and I rly dont want to gamble by replacing gauthier with some one that I dont know if his competent enough to acheive the same things...

Do you realise we are this []llllllllllllllllllllllllll[X] [] close to win the stanley cup?

Mod edit:

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-30-2011 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary comments
XperHFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlor View Post
I think if you look at the time Gainey was here, you will see that he did a good job rebuilding and restocking the prospect pool. Some of his trades and signings worked, some didn't, but that is true of any GM. I se no evidence that Gainey set back the franchise 10 years. Please elaborate if you are going to make such a remark.
Very true, he did a good job rebuilding and restocking the prospect pool, however he did have a problem puling of the big trade, ie, The Marion Hossa deal that fell apart at the trade deadline.
Gainey did make some very strange moves near the end of his tenure, the firing of Carbonneau, and letting (9) free agents walk two months later, so what was the problem the coach or the players?
Then the hiring of Martin and signing him to a four deal, when you have the most promsing young coach waiting in the wings, and the free agent signings all have signs of desperation moves, as well as a Gauthier influence.
One thing is for certain, Gainey is much more respected around the league than Gauthier, Gauthier has a history of being arrogant and disliked, not only with his own employees, but also with other people around the league, this week is a prime example, by how he handled the Pearn firing.
Pretty sure this will be the last gigs for Gauthier and Martin in the NHL, and please don't even bring up the thought, having Martin as GM

Oshawa General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habsfanatical

So far Gainey made some "suspect" moves and so has PG.. But we do have 2 young studs that are growing in front of our eyes.. Pacioretty from Gainey and Eller from PG..

Habsfanatical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:56 AM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If Gainey came back, I'll never watch this team again and lose respect for this franchise forever. The man set this team back a decade, his trades were among the worst ever this franchise has ever witnessed.
You may want to say hi to Irving Grundman and Rejean Houle first

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
So let me get this straight.

-Ships out Trotter, a guy that had no place in the Habs plans for the future.
-Brings in Noks, a guy that went over 55% in the face-off circle in the last two games and played a solid game on the 4th line.
-Habs are now on a 3 game winning streak.

Makes perfect sense. Can his ass for fixing the 4th line and putting his team back on the right path after firing Pearn.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:58 AM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfanatical View Post
So far Gainey made some "suspect" moves and so has PG.. But we do have 2 young studs that are growing in front of our eyes.. Pacioretty from Gainey and Eller from PG..
What about Subban ? And Price?

Thats 4 huge talents BOOM

Old
10-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Very true, he did a good job rebuilding and restocking the prospect pool, however he did have a problem puling of the big trade, ie, The Marion Hossa deal that fell apart at the trade deadline.
Gainey did make some very strange moves near the end of his tenure, the firing of Carbonneau, and letting (9) free agents walk two months later, so what was the problem the coach or the players?
Then the hiring of Martin and signing him to a four deal, when you have the most promsing young coach waiting in the wings, and the free agent signings all have signs of desperation moves, as well as a Gauthier influence.
One thing is for certain, Gainey is much more respected around the league than Gauthier, Gauthier has a history of being arrogant and disliked, not only with his own employees, but also with other people around the league, this week is a prime example, by how he handled the Pearn firing.
Pretty sure this will be the last gigs for Gauthier and Martin in the NHL, and please don't even bring up the thought, having Martin as GM
I'm not a fan of how Pearn got fired, but EVERYBODY knows how well the MTL media can be when they smell blood and firing Pearn earlier or later wouldve started to push the foucs further from what's on the ice and more so onto the Pearn firing. I think letting Pearn go an hour before game day saved Pearn from the media and *****smacked the team real real hard across the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
What about Subban ? And Price?

Thats 4 huge talents BOOM
Subban and Price were drafted players so that's why I never mentioned them.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-30-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: merge
Old
10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfanatical View Post
Subban and Price were drafted players so that's why I never mentioned them.
Oh ok but Packs was drafted too

Old
10-30-2011, 12:02 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

People should try and remember the team that was handed to Gainey before they complain about his moves.

And to play devil's advocate, Gainey himself said the Ninimaa trade was his fault because he blindly trusted his scouts when they told him Ninimaa was a good defenceman. It was a mistake and an error in projecting a players talent.

The Gomez trade was all Gauthier. He was the one in charge of scouting the Rangers in that period and he was the one who told Gainey to trade for Gomez. We all remember that offseason, where Koivu was let go and the team was looking for a #1C. (They tried with Vinny, and I'm glad THAT didn't go through... Higgins, Subban, Gorges... wow).

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:02 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Go watch some more hockey. Watch the 1994 to 2004 era and come back at us. Those 10 years might have been the worst 10 years in the history of our organisation. since 2004 the team is once again competitive. And thats directly related to Gainey's work. And since Gauthier came in we have one ECF and 1 round which we lost against the Stanley cup winners.

So honeslty im very very very satisfied with their work and I rly dont want to gamble by replacing gauthier with some one that I dont know if his competent enough to acheive the same things...

Do you realise we are this []llllllllllllllllllllllllll[X] [] close to win the stanley cup?
Mod edit:

I know very well what happened in the 90s, but unlike some here, I'm also aware of what's happening RIGHT NOW : poor team, poor prospect pool, poor show on the ice, no identity, no offensive star, conservative management, etc.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-30-2011 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post and 1st sentence of response.
MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshawa General View Post
Then the hiring of Martin and signing him to a four deal, when you have the most promsing young coach waiting in the wings,
Boucher was hired after the Habs has already hired Martin.

People didn't think the Pearn firing was a classy move, imagine firing your head coach on the first of his four year deal to bring in a rookie coach after getting his team to the ECF for the first time in 17 years would have looked like.

Sorry I really don't see how letting Boucher goes was a bad move, they had no other choice. Boucher wanted to be a headcoach in the nhl and montreal couldn't offer the position.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Oh ok but Packs was drafted too
Yes Patches was drafted also, BUT if Gainey never traded Rivet to SJ we wouldve never had Gorges OR SJ 1st in which we drafted Patches..

Not forgetting Patches by a long shot no worries there lol

Old
10-30-2011, 12:06 PM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
People should try and remember the team that was handed to Gainey before they complain about his moves.

And to play devil's advocate, Gainey himself said the Ninimaa trade was his fault because he blindly trusted his scouts when they told him Ninimaa was a good defenceman. It was a mistake and an error in projecting a players talent.

The Gomez trade was all Gauthier. He was the one in charge of scouting the Rangers in that period and he was the one who told Gainey to trade for Gomez. We all remember that offseason, where Koivu was let go and the team was looking for a #1C. (They tried with Vinny, and I'm glad THAT didn't go through... Higgins, Subban, Gorges... wow).
We got Gomez for nothing. And we hoped that he could do better with us. Like kovalev. I mean are we mad we got kovalev? like our first 80 pointer guy since Recchi ? I dont think so.

When I say nothing i mean we traded Mcdonagh...ok wow big deal, we had Markov, hammer, Gorges and eventually Gill, Spacek..

Old
10-30-2011, 12:07 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Gauthier >>> Gainey.
You mean Gainey >>>>> Guathier
Gainey did make mistakes but at least his HIGHLY respected among his peers. Gauthier went from being the nerd in the class to highly despised with his treatment of firing a popular Perry Pearn.

Jyroe Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Habsfanatical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

People didn't think the Pearn firing was a classy move, imagine firing your head coach on the first of his four year deal to bring in a rookie coach after getting his team to the ECF for the first time in 17 years would have looked like.

Sorry I really don't see how letting Boucher goes was a bad move, they had no other choice. Boucher wanted to be a headcoach in the nhl and montreal couldn't offer the position.
Agreed, no matter how much we wanted Boucher in MTL the timing just wasn't right.. Carbo, Gainey and JM on the payroll while going out and getting Boucher, I don't know too many employers that would like 4 coaches on their payroll while only currenting employing 1..

Old
10-30-2011, 12:10 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
We got Gomez for nothing. And we hoped that he could do better with us. Like kovalev. I mean are we mad we got kovalev? like our first 80 pointer guy since Recchi ? I dont think so.

When I say nothing i mean we traded Mcdonagh...ok wow big deal, we had Markov, hammer, Gorges and eventually Gill, Spacek..
What hurts is that Scott Gomez is 31 now. He was 29 when we traded for him. His first year was "decent", enough to consider him a 1B center. How does a player just decline so fast, and by so much?

If he got his head out of his ass and played at least like a #2, trading McDonagh wouldn't matter so much. But if he continues to play worse than our 4th line center (I'm exaggerating), this trade sucks. I really hope Gionta is giving him flack for playing so bad.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Schwang

Quote:
Really? Ribeiro? You like the Latendresse move? The Gomez trade, and giving up such a promising young blueliner? Getting rid of Grabovski for nothing? Yet you only bring up the Gorges move?
Except for gomez, all the players you mentioned are head cases and could not handle playing here. When you trade one problem player for another, it seldom works. Maybe he could have gotten more. Besides, since those deals, we have had more success than any team those players went to.

Schwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Oshawa General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post

You're wrong about that. Boucher was already being courted by the Canadiens management when Carbonneau was fired, Canadien's managment was very high on him, he was their man, but they felt he needed more experience. The Martin hiring came out of left field, Gauthier has made it very comfortable for his buddy, Martin, by letting Boucher and Muller walk, and bringing in a couple of anglo ass't coaches, who will never be able to be head coaches here. Under Gauthier, there is NO succession plan, should they have to replace Martin, probably the main reason Pearn had to pay the price.

Oshawa General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Ginu

Quote:
If Gainey came back, I'll never watch this team again and lose respect for this franchise forever. The man set this team back a decade, his trades were among the worst ever this franchise has ever witnessed.
Stop being a drama queen. He wasn't that bad. You compare him to what we had in the late 90s and he was a breath of fresh air. He turned us around.

Last edited by Ginu: 10-30-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyroe Habs Fan View Post
You mean Gainey >>>>> Guathier
Gainey did make mistakes but at least his HIGHLY respected among his peers. Gauthier went from being the nerd in the class to highly despised with his treatment of firing a popular Perry Pearn.
If he's so popular... he shouldnt have a problem finding a job.

Honestly, though, the results are showing after 3 W's when everyone expected doom. This team played it's best games of hockey this week WITHOUT him.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Garrioch says it might happen?

You are almost guaranteed it won't happen.

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:16 PM
gusfring

One can only hope he's right.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:17 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Stop being a drama queen. He wasn't that bad. You compare him to what we had in the late 90s and he was a breath of fresh air. He turned out around.
Come on, what Gainey had to work with (budget wise) during his time as a GM compared to his predecessors is like comparing the social progess of Sweden vs Uganda...

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Subban76

Quote:

Welcome to today's generation of kids wanting everything right away, like right NOW! No patience what so ever. It's the technology era of immediate access and info. No comprehension of the past or where we are coming from, its just about NOW and what have you done for ME today (forget about yesterday, its like a decade ago to them).

Quite pathetic when you look at it...because Gainey did so much for this team that he should never be ridiculed by our fans, but little do they know, except what evolves around their own little world.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-30-2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post
Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:19 PM
XperHFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post

I know very well what happened in the 90s, but unlike some here, I'm also aware of what's happening RIGHT NOW : poor team, poor prospect pool, poor show on the ice, no identity, no offensive star, conservative management, etc.
We dont have Ovechkin or Kopitar or crosby but we do have more talent in the offensive side then 3/4 of the teams. Cammy, A.Kos, PAcs, Cole, Gionta, Plecks, Eller....gomez (some times). Thats almost 3 full lines with great offensive skills. I rather have that then one superstar + 20 avg guys.

Man what ever if you want Toronto and boston has everything you ask from an organisation. Your free to go with them.

This team is doing fine.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-30-2011 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Edited quoted post