HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Coaching, GM changes imminent?

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2011, 10:47 AM
solomonsacct

vCash: 500
Porty got trolled hard.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
At this point it's not a matter of if it happens, just a matter of when.
We need Russell and Clitsome off the team too. I don't care where they go. Preferably to a division opponent

Old
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
But that will set everything back. It'll be 3-4 years before the team makes the playoffs. This market does't have the patience to wait as demonstrated by the Fire * threads on here, and the articles posted in the newspaper.
I know, I'm just not sure there are any quick fixes... This organization has been bad for so long, I'm not sure we can immediate results....

Think about it: The only time thats ever happened in franchise History was when Mason stood on his heads for 3 months.

I think the STH'ers and the people that continually drop a lot of money on this product want to believe that a quick turnaround or one coach or one GM change will immediately produce the results we've been needing but some have to realize this how big of a mess this organization is.

On top of that, I hope the organization gets pressure from the county after buying out the Nat Lease.... This is a huge mess right now.

Old
Halfboard
New Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I hope for Porty's sake he had a pretty good source to actually throw names out there as replacements, never mind that Arniel and Howson are essentially 'dead men walking' tonight.

I am disgusted that it has come to this. I initially didn't want Hitch fired, but agreed that he had lost the room and that it was time in the end. I have been a big supporter of Howson and Arniel, but results are results, and these results are pathetic. So I grudgingly admit it's time.

In the 'Bring back Hitch' thread, I voted to ask me again when the CBJ were 0-12. Well, we're pretty much there, as after tonight, there's a good chance we'll be 1-10-1.

So here's what I'd do if I was Priest:

1) State that I am needed at Worthington Industries and will be shifting back there at the end of the season. In the interim, I will be facilitating the transition as a search for a new President commences.

2) Howson and Arniel are relieved of their duties as of tomorrow.

3) Hitch is coming back with the interim tag. I think Hitch will take the job as he wants to show that he has a new perspective and can coach in the new NHL. Make it clear that he could be in the running for the coach position, but that decision will be at the discretion of the new GM.

4) Find an older former GM who is trust-worthy and respected in hockey circles who can make sure that the day-to-day operations keep chugging along this year. Think Cliff Fletcher with the Leafs a few years ago. The mandate of this interim GM will not be to make blockbuster trades, although he will try to jettison some of the vets near the trade deadline for fair value (see point 7). We don't have the history the Leafs have, so this may be a hard spot to fill - perhaps Button can fill this job if the rumors are true.

5) Send Johansen back to juniors

6) Keep Savard and Moore in the AHL this year, at least until after trade deadline. Bring them up then only if you were able to find a taker for Russel/Martinek/Johnson.

7) Don't sign any extensions, including Prospal. There's no chance that Vinnie would sign here again anyways, so start a bidding war with cup contenders and extract a king's ransom for him near trade deadline. If by some miracle, Hitch has a Lemaire-like surge, then keep him but this seems unlikely at this point. Try to unload Juice and Martinek at trade deadline as well.

8) Consider trades of Vermette, Brassard and even possibly Umberger if someone is willing to pay a premium. If not, leave their fates for the new GM to decide. Nash and Carter are untouchable until the new GM comes aboard because these would be franchise-shifting deals.

9) Then, devote all your energy to finding the best GM and President candidates out there and don't take no for an answer. Find a duo that would be willing to work together, with each position's responsibilities clearly defined.

Wow, this is well thought out, consise and spot on. Excellent on all points. I wish this organ-I-zation had the same thought process you have.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:51 AM
CBJCougar

This is absolutely crazy ****. Even on high school teams, the coaching staff has control of the locker room. If there is a player there that will not respond to the coach, that player is removed. WHY it is allowed to continue in Columbus boggles my damn mind.

As long as we allow this to continue, then the musical chairs among the coaching staff is not going to produce the results needed. Blame whomever you want but if you don't have a backbone, you don't need to be in Columbus.

I am going to spend the day baking and watching football. Good luck to the Jackets and the wise leaders of this board. When I come back, I expect to find this issue solved. Thanks!!

Old
10-30-2011, 10:59 AM
whalerjacket
It never happened.

If this was already mentioned, I apologize. Didn't the Torg also hint that someone was going to lose their job on Monday? Maybe he and AP both know something is imminent?

Old
10-30-2011, 11:01 AM
fox2usp
Inbred Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
I hope for Porty's sake he had a pretty good source to actually throw names out there as replacements, never mind that Arniel and Howson are essentially 'dead men walking' tonight.

I am disgusted that it has come to this. I initially didn't want Hitch fired, but agreed that he had lost the room and that it was time in the end. I have been a big supporter of Howson and Arniel, but results are results, and these results are pathetic. So I grudgingly admit it's time.

In the 'Bring back Hitch' thread, I voted to ask me again when the CBJ were 0-12. Well, we're pretty much there, as after tonight, there's a good chance we'll be 1-10-1.

So here's what I'd do if I was Priest:

1) State that I am needed at Worthington Industries and will be shifting back there at the end of the season. In the interim, I will be facilitating the transition as a search for a new President commences.

2) Howson and Arniel are relieved of their duties as of tomorrow.

3) Hitch is coming back with the interim tag. I think Hitch will take the job as he wants to show that he has a new perspective and can coach in the new NHL. Make it clear that he could be in the running for the coach position, but that decision will be at the discretion of the new GM.

4) Find an older former GM who is trust-worthy and respected in hockey circles who can make sure that the day-to-day operations keep chugging along this year. Think Cliff Fletcher with the Leafs a few years ago. The mandate of this interim GM will not be to make blockbuster trades, although he will try to jettison some of the vets near the trade deadline for fair value (see point 7). We don't have the history the Leafs have, so this may be a hard spot to fill - perhaps Button can fill this job if the rumors are true.

5) Send Johansen back to juniors

6) Keep Savard and Moore in the AHL this year, at least until after trade deadline. Bring them up then only if you were able to find a taker for Russel/Martinek/Johnson.

7) Don't sign any extensions, including Prospal. There's no chance that Vinnie would sign here again anyways, so start a bidding war with cup contenders and extract a king's ransom for him near trade deadline. If by some miracle, Hitch has a Lemaire-like surge, then keep him but this seems unlikely at this point. Try to unload Juice and Martinek at trade deadline as well.

8) Consider trades of Vermette, Brassard and even possibly Umberger if someone is willing to pay a premium. If not, leave their fates for the new GM to decide. Nash and Carter are untouchable until the new GM comes aboard because these would be franchise-shifting deals.

9) Then, devote all your energy to finding the best GM and President candidates out there and don't take no for an answer. Find a duo that would be willing to work together, with each position's responsibilities clearly defined.
This, except I would have Hitch as interim GM and Richards as interim coach. New President first, let him pick his GM and the GM pick his coach. Priest never wanted that job; it was thrust upon him. I'm sure Mr. Priest would love to fade back to life as the President of JMac if John P. lets him.

"I don't think I'll live long enough to forgive Howson for knocking off my rose colored glasses. He's a horrible, wretched, little stinker of a man. I just hope he wakes up in the morning and can't poop." -CBJCougar (on the Klesla trade), March 23, 2011
Old
10-30-2011, 11:05 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalerjacket View Post
If this was already mentioned, I apologize. Didn't the Torg also hint that someone was going to lose their job on Monday? Maybe he and AP both know something is imminent?
I did hear him say a Big move was imminent in the next few weeks, but that was all...

Old
10-30-2011, 11:06 AM
hip check
Go North.

Never happy to see anyone lose their job. But I have to admit that I'm thrilled reading about the possibility of GM and coaching changes.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:15 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Maybe hitch pulled a powerplay. Howson fired him, maybe he told Priest "you want me? I'm your guy now? Fine, ill come back, but I won't work for scott howson." Priest bit the bullett, and asked who to replace howson. He chose hiis friend, because in my mind he coulld be both the coach and GM.

Just my 0.02

Old
10-30-2011, 11:16 AM
HillbillyJacketsFan

Looks like everything is lining up...

1. Massive losing streak
2. Vote of confidence from upper management
3. Media reports of imminent firings
4. Rumored parties saying they have never spoken to anyone associated with the club, but are flattered by the mention.

Future steps:
5. Firings and hirings happen
6. Jackets continue to suck donkey butt

Looks like the hammer should drop right on schedule! I'm guessing first thing tomorrow morning.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Is this team really going to replace Arniel with the guy he replaced?

That's mind-blowingly dumb on so many levels I have a hard time believing that even this organization would do it.

10-30-2011, 11:28 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomonsacct View Post
Porty got trolled hard.
I hope so, I want a change but not sure this is what I want.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
On a side note, was Portzline drunk last night? His twitter feed suggests so.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:37 AM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
On a side note, was Portzline drunk last night? His twitter feed suggests so.
My favorite: Guy says I'm being too negative. It's called relaying pertinent information. You want this? "#CBJ holdin' steady, eight points out in West!"

Old
10-30-2011, 11:37 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Maybe hitch pulled a powerplay. Howson fired him, maybe he told Priest "you want me? I'm your guy now? Fine, ill come back, but I won't work for scott howson." Priest bit the bullett, and asked who to replace howson. He chose hiis friend, because in my mind he coulld be both the coach and GM.

Just my 0.02
I doubt it... I think he no longer has that pull, otherwise, Howson would've been fired and not Hitchcock a few seasons ago.

let's not pretend Hitch turned down legit coaching offers to stay on as Priest's advisor. He'd be gone if anybody was serious about hiring him in the last few seasons. The only reason he's still in town is because he's on the payroll...

Old
10-30-2011, 11:48 AM
Iron Balls McGinty

Would love to see Dave King back next season under the proper circumstances. I'd take him now if he wasn't working for the coyotes.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:54 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalerjacket View Post
Torg said Friday night on Twitter that somebody was "Going to Citgo on Monday".

"Going to the Citgo" is Common Man/Torg-speak for fired.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:55 AM
MFRONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Foley View Post
The players had tuned out Hitch two seasons ago; what's going to make them listen now?
Seeing how half the roster has been turned over, not sure how this might be a problem.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:57 AM
MFRONE

Quote:

That's mind-blowingly dumb on so many levels I have a hard time believing that even this organization would do it.
The Devils have done this...

Old
10-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

The Hurricanes did it with Maurice replacing Lavi after Lavi had replaced Maurice

Maurice then led them on surprise Eastern Conference finals run

Old
10-30-2011, 12:01 PM
BluejacketNut

The only reason Hitch would be filling in is because we're already paying him....but then, who knows with this org.

Old
10-30-2011, 12:12 PM
kaboomski

Anyone ever wonder why Guy Boucher turned this job down? Think it's about time to clear the "cancer" from the room?

Old
10-30-2011, 12:15 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboomski View Post
Anyone ever wonder why Guy Boucher turned this job down? Think it's about time to clear the "cancer" from the room?
He looked at the roster, the division the CBJ are in, Howson's personality, then he looked at Tampa's, not to mention that the offer came from a Hockey Legend.....

Pretty Easy decision, in hindsight....

Old
10-30-2011, 12:25 PM
BluejacketNut

Mr Boucher, you have Scott Howson on line 1 and Steve Yzerman on line 2......pretty much a no brainer

Closed Thread