HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2011, 08:00 PM
Medium Rare*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
How has LaBate looked so far?
I have the same question, except about Ramage.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...102211aab.html
Quote:
A 1-3-0 start coming into Friday night was definitely not what this young Wisconsin men's hockey team was looking for. But a 5-3 victory over No. 5 North Dakota (2-2-0, 0-1-0 WCHA) Friday at the Kohl Center will certainly ease some of those growing pains.

Head coach Mike Eaves was cautious to overplay the win however.

"This early in the season, with this young of a team, I don't think it's a huge measuring stick," Eaves said. "I think it's a nice step, and there are a lot of good things I hope people are proud of."
Overrated, *clap, clap, clap, clap* overrated, *clap, clap, clap, clap* Lets do it again boys and sweep Sue.

Old
10-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Badgers vs. Sioux - 10/21/11

This was a great game last season. It got crazy in the second period, but the Badgers held on for the win - which against UND is not easy to do.

Here are some of my personal observations about the Badgers from last night. Please feel free to chime in with your comments.

While I was happy to see the Badgers get the win, the youth and inexperience were really evident, especially from the defensive corps. Some really bad mistakes such as neutral zone turnovers could've cost the Badgers dearly last night. You don't want that happening, and you certainly don't want that happening against a team like UND that can just burn you on them.

Joe LaBate was quite impressive. I couldn't stop watching his hands. They were just mesmerizing. You can tell that this kid is really skilled and as he continues to develop, he's just going to get better and better.

Justin Schultz hasn't missed a beat. He's simply picked up from where he left off. I was sorry to see his defensive partner Jake McCabe leave early in the game with an injury after UND's (and former San Jose Junior Shark ) Dan Senkbeil levelled him along the boards.

I thought Landon Peterson was a bit shaky early in the game, but he really settled down nicely by the time the third period came around. Made the saves he had to and did a good job of controlling most of his rebounds.

Michael Mersch seems to have improved his skating a bit, although IMO it still can improve even more. I just loved the way he played in front of the Sioux net last night. Always sniffing around for the loose change and just seem to be a thorn in the side of Eidsness (who got yanked in the 2nd period after letting in Derek Lee's goal), Dell and the Sioux defense. You gotta love a guy that crashes the net hard and often.

Aside from LaBate, the two other Badgers that really caught my attention were Tyler Barnes and Brendan Woods. Barnes didn't really impress me much last season, but he has sure picked things up! I realize that it's still early in the season, but Barnes can continue his strong play, he could be just what the doctor ordered in replacing Craig Smith. Barnes was very quick to loose pucks and he's moving the puck confidently and with more authority (for a lack of a better term). He made some really nice passes, especially on the Badgers' opening goal that Zengerle was credited for.

After watching what Woods could do last night, I can't believe that this kid was passed over in the 2011 Draft. Fortunately, he's eligible again in 2012. Woods is really crafty with the puck and he just made a really sick move one of the UND defensemen (forget off hand who it was. I want to say it was Forbort, but I could be wrong). I also like the way Woods skates. Has good speed and some giddy up.

Tonight's game should be a good one and the Badgers have to continue playing well like they did last night and make sure that the defense doesn't make any boneheaded plays/passes because you just know that the Sioux will be determined to leave Madison with a split and will not leave quietly.

Old
10-24-2011, 12:30 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
This was a great game last season. It got crazy in the second period, but the Badgers held on for the win - which against UND is not easy to do.

Here are some of my personal observations about the Badgers from last night. Please feel free to chime in with your comments.

While I was happy to see the Badgers get the win, the youth and inexperience were really evident, especially from the defensive corps. Some really bad mistakes such as neutral zone turnovers could've cost the Badgers dearly last night. You don't want that happening, and you certainly don't want that happening against a team like UND that can just burn you on them.

Joe LaBate was quite impressive. I couldn't stop watching his hands. They were just mesmerizing. You can tell that this kid is really skilled and as he continues to develop, he's just going to get better and better.

Justin Schultz hasn't missed a beat. He's simply picked up from where he left off. I was sorry to see his defensive partner Jake McCabe leave early in the game with an injury after UND's (and former San Jose Junior Shark ) Dan Senkbeil levelled him along the boards.

I thought Landon Peterson was a bit shaky early in the game, but he really settled down nicely by the time the third period came around. Made the saves he had to and did a good job of controlling most of his rebounds.

Michael Mersch seems to have improved his skating a bit, although IMO it still can improve even more. I just loved the way he played in front of the Sioux net last night. Always sniffing around for the loose change and just seem to be a thorn in the side of Eidsness (who got yanked in the 2nd period after letting in Derek Lee's goal), Dell and the Sioux defense. You gotta love a guy that crashes the net hard and often.

Aside from LaBate, the two other Badgers that really caught my attention were Tyler Barnes and Brendan Woods. Barnes didn't really impress me much last season, but he has sure picked things up! I realize that it's still early in the season, but Barnes can continue his strong play, he could be just what the doctor ordered in replacing Craig Smith. Barnes was very quick to loose pucks and he's moving the puck confidently and with more authority (for a lack of a better term). He made some really nice passes, especially on the Badgers' opening goal that Zengerle was credited for.

After watching what Woods could do last night, I can't believe that this kid was passed over in the 2011 Draft. Fortunately, he's eligible again in 2012. Woods is really crafty with the puck and he just made a really sick move one of the UND defensemen (forget off hand who it was. I want to say it was Forbort, but I could be wrong). I also like the way Woods skates. Has good speed and some giddy up.

Tonight's game should be a good one and the Badgers have to continue playing well like they did last night and make sure that the defense doesn't make any boneheaded plays/passes because you just know that the Sioux will be determined to leave Madison with a split and will not leave quietly.
Yeah, the kids can play, OC. I'm with you on your assesments except maybe for Barnes last season. I though he was solid, but not spectacular...I have him pegged to wearing the "C" maybe next year if Ramage doesn't come back. I though he did well last year for mostly playing with other frosh on a team decimated by departures.

It was good to the team finally score more then 2 goals in a game and avoid the dread overtime. The scoring depth is pretty balanced thanks to the contributions from the new kids. I'm thinking the goaltending rotation will be pretty enviable down the road; could be an embarassment of riches ala Miami with Reichard and Knapp. It's early, but I like what I see from Peterson. Rumpel I already had high hopes for. I figured him in on contending for ROY honors (throw LaBate in there as well).

I have to give kudos to my favorite player, Ryan Little. This was a custom made series for an agitator/sparkplug like him and he answered the bell with a 4 point weekend, including setting up Saturday's game winner. Guys like him typify Badger Hockey.

The team still has a lot of growing to do. No way do they come away with too many more "w's" being outplayed like that. On the other hand, they have been very competitive in al there other contests...Northern Michigan is no slouch, they took 3 points from Michigan and Tech has been a new team so far. The playoffs could be a reality.

Old
10-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
The playoffs could be a reality.

One game at a time, my friend. Its way too early to even be thinking about them making the playoffs, much less talking about it.
Sweeping NoDak was a big step in that direction though.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:29 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post

One game at a time, my friend. Its way too early to even be thinking about them making the playoffs, much less talking about it.
Sweeping NoDak was a big step in that direction though.
Pre-season no one jumped out at me as a powerhouse aside from DU and CC...and I'm talking NCAA, not just the W. So far a lot of the top teams have looked very beatable so I have some viable reason for optimism. Yes, it is early, but the scoring balance seems there and the new kids are contributing, some others have yet to heat up so it looks okay.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Badger36

There is reason for optimism but I still stand by the claim that finishing .500 will be a good season for these Badgers.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/w-ho...102511aaa.html
Quote:
Wisconsin women’s hockey goaltender Alex Rigsby was named WCHA Defensive Player of the Week for a second-consecutive time, the conference announced on Tuesday.

Last weekend, the sophomore netminder amassed 80 saves while backstopping the top-ranked Badgers to a two-game conference road sweep over then-No. 5/6 Minnesota Duluth. The sweep was the first for the Badgers in Duluth, Minn., since 2002.

Rigsby made a career-series-high 80 saves in Wisconsin’s 4-3 and 6-3 victories. In the first game on Oct. 21, she made 14 saves in the third period and 34 total as the Badgers overcame a 2-1 second period deficit.

She followed that up with a career-high 46 stops on Saturday, including 22 in the second period alone. Rigsby had 10 saves while UW was on the penalty-kill, holding UMD to two power-play goals in nine opportunities. It also the first time since Nov. 26, 2010, that Wisconsin has been outshot and won the game.

Old
10-29-2011, 01:31 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Yeah, the kids can play, OC. I'm with you on your assesments except maybe for Barnes last season. I though he was solid, but not spectacular...I have him pegged to wearing the "C" maybe next year if Ramage doesn't come back. I though he did well last year for mostly playing with other frosh on a team decimated by departures.

It was good to the team finally score more then 2 goals in a game and avoid the dread overtime. The scoring depth is pretty balanced thanks to the contributions from the new kids. I'm thinking the goaltending rotation will be pretty enviable down the road; could be an embarassment of riches ala Miami with Reichard and Knapp. It's early, but I like what I see from Peterson. Rumpel I already had high hopes for. I figured him in on contending for ROY honors (throw LaBate in there as well).

I have to give kudos to my favorite player, Ryan Little. This was a custom made series for an agitator/sparkplug like him and he answered the bell with a 4 point weekend, including setting up Saturday's game winner. Guys like him typify Badger Hockey.

The team still has a lot of growing to do. No way do they come away with too many more "w's" being outplayed like that. On the other hand, they have been very competitive in al there other contests...Northern Michigan is no slouch, they took 3 points from Michigan and Tech has been a new team so far. The playoffs could be a reality.
Yeah, except they let one get away from them last night.

While the game had it's moments, I didn't think last night's game was a particularly good game for either the Badgers or the Mavericks. As I stated in my previous post, mistakes are just killing the Badgers right now. Brad Navin's penalty was the back breaker. Hudson (nor any other opposing player) should be able to score the game-winning goal on a come-from-behind win like that with just 20 seconds left in regulation time. Not taking away from the Mavs, because they did what they had to to win, but that kind of play will come back to bite them.

I think the Badgers are also starting to feel Mankato's pain too because MSUM isn't the only WCHA team putting more guys on the IR. The Badgers lost Jake McCabe for about eight weeks last weekend and now Derek Lee is down.

Some observations from last night....

I really like the Badgers' top line of LaBate-Zengerle-Barnes. And Zengerle IMO was the best looking Badger last night. That highlight reel move he put on the Mavs defender that led to Barnes' first goal was a thing of beauty.

One area that I felt the Badgers didn't really match UNO for much of the game was their physicality. UNO is a very physical team (I know, I'm stating the obvious here), but it wasn't until the Badgers were able to match them that things were finally looking up for Wisconsin. But again, take the mistakes out and the outcome might have been different.

The two things that the Badgers did do well IMO (and I noticed this against UND last weekend too) was in effectively using their speed and their strong forechecking. I thought this was particularly evident last night with the Woods-Dahl-Little line. At times, the Mavs defenders really had a tough time shutting them down, or at least slowing them down.

On the flip side, I thought the Mavs' top line, especially Matt White, utilized their speed effectively. IMO, I thought White was the Mavs' best player. He created some really good opportunities for his teammates, some of which they cashed in on, but he also made things happen whenever he was on the ice.

I didn't think either goalie was all that impressive, although both had their moments.

If the Badgers can correct their mistakes and play hard for 60 minutes tonight, I think they'll win.

Feel free to comment.

Old
10-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Badger36

Being a young team, you can expect the Badgers to make a lot of mistakes.

Old
10-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Question for the Badgers fans. I'm trying to get my hands on the ND vs Wisconsin video game highlights from last week. Any chance your site has them somewhere 'cause I don't seem to find any relevant vids. If not on the site, where can we find the highlights, hoping they are free to look at obviously. And would those highlights include the goals that the opponents scores, 'cause I know some teams only highlight the goals and good plays they do.

Thanks.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Question for the Badgers fans. I'm trying to get my hands on the ND vs Wisconsin video game highlights from last week. Any chance your site has them somewhere 'cause I don't seem to find any relevant vids. If not on the site, where can we find the highlights, hoping they are free to look at obviously. And would those highlights include the goals that the opponents scores, 'cause I know some teams only highlight the goals and good plays they do.

Thanks.
I think you are out of luck on that one. I know that UW puts up highlights on Youtube but they only should their own great plays, not the other team's.

Old
10-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Nuck This

So, I take Labate has been impressive? I like the mix of size, skill and character. I'm happy about the pick by the Canucks in the fourth round. He could be a sleeper.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
So, I take Labate has been impressive? I like the mix of size, skill and character. I'm happy about the pick by the Canucks in the fourth round. He could be a sleeper.
He's been good so far and he will only get better at UW.

Old
11-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...110211aab.html
Quote:
Junior captain John Ramage was certainly among the many disappointed following the Badgers' season last year.

Reaching the national championship game as a freshman in 2010, Ramage, as a sophomore, sat at home the last month of the season. Eliminated in the middle of March with a WCHA playoff loss at Colorado College, Ramage was left to watch as other squads advanced through the playoffs and on to the NCAA Frozen Four.

The 2010-11 Badgers failed to reach the NCAA tournament for just the third time in the past eight seasons.

But this year, the Badgers put a much different team on the ice. Veteran leadership, like Craig Smith, Jordy Murray, Jake Gardiner, Sean Dolan, Scott Gudmandson, Brett Bennett and Patrick Johnson, has skated off the ice for Wisconsin. Meanwhile, a young but deeply talented freshman squad enters the fold.

And for Ramage, he’s definitely a different player as well. Ramage returns to Wisconsin this season with unfinished business on his plate.

“I just wanted to come back and have a good year,” Ramage said. “I felt last year I struggled and didn’t have the best year I could have and I just really want to come back and prove myself to Wisconsin. I kind of owe it to my teammates and my coaches.”

Old
11-09-2011, 02:13 PM
Markus078

Hi Badgers fans, Ducks admirer here. Just two questions. How is Justin Schultz doing this season - I mean beside his point production. I had hopes that he is one or two levels above the rest on the ice this season. So how do you see his play this season.

Somehow I'm really hoping that the Ducks will go after Tyler Barnes at the FA market in the future. How good is he? Is he the real deal (late bloomer for instance) or is he just benefiting from playing with Zengerle?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Old
11-09-2011, 03:34 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus078 View Post
Hi Badgers fans, Ducks admirer here. Just two questions. How is Justin Schultz doing this season - I mean beside his point production. I had hopes that he is one or two levels above the rest on the ice this season. So how do you see his play this season.

Somehow I'm really hoping that the Ducks will go after Tyler Barnes at the FA market in the future. How good is he? Is he the real deal (late bloomer for instance) or is he just benefiting from playing with Zengerle?

Thank you very much for your answers.
Schultz is a star and is the heart and soul of the Badgers this year. Im not sure that he is 2 levels above everyone else but he definetly is a leader out on the ice.
As for Barnes, he's a very good little player. He should be a very, very good player if he stays at Wisconsin for a few more years.

Old
11-11-2011, 08:12 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
They're looking great against the Goofers halfway through tonight.

Old
11-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Dakota Sioux

The trap should be banned from hockey. With that said bucky did what it had to do to bring the goofs back to earth. But man that type of hockey is not fun to watch.

Old
11-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

Ok, so what is everyone's opinion on Mersch being tossed out for the contact to the head call? Bogus or justified? (and please try to be impartial here, I know how you Badgers and Gophers fans are! ).

Old
11-14-2011, 01:27 AM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
From the replays I saw it was completely bogus. The Minnesota player turned slightly and Mersch still didn't even hit him in the head and his head didn't go violently into the boards.

Old
11-14-2011, 06:23 AM
Markus078

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey36 View Post
Schultz is a star and is the heart and soul of the Badgers this year. Im not sure that he is 2 levels above everyone else but he definetly is a leader out on the ice.
How good is he defensivly? Does he play physical if needed? I mean his offense production has never been a problem. Most concerns came from his stature and his ability to handle bigger forwards. Gardiner and him just have been outsanding and too good/complete for most college teams.

Old
11-14-2011, 12:05 PM
MN_Gopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Ok, so what is everyone's opinion on Mersch being tossed out for the contact to the head call? Bogus or justified? (and please try to be impartial here, I know how you Badgers and Gophers fans are! ).
Buddish got one early that i thought was bad. Same situation player was turning and leaning. As long as thay keep it consistant, I am OK. With the Mersch hit on its own, it was not a 5min hit.

Old
11-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...111611aaa.html
Quote:
Wisconsin men’s hockey head coach Mike Eaves announced the signing of three student-athletes to National Letters of Intent in the early signing period. The three are forward Nicolas Kerdiles (Irvine, Calif.), defenseman Kevin Schulze (White Bear Lake, Minn.) and forward Morgan Zulinick (Kamloops, British Columbia).

Old
11-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Badger36

http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...112911aaa.html
Quote:
University of Wisconsin All-American blueliner Justin Schultz, who produced seven scoring points and earned a +4 plus/minus rating while boosting the Badgers to a two-game non-conference sweep over visiting Mercyhurst last weekend, has been named Red Baron® WCHA Defensive Player of the Week for Nov. 29.

Closed Thread