HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

In the past 5 years, has there been a bigger turnaround than in Minnesota?

Old
10-29-2011, 12:21 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
In the past 5 years, has there been a bigger turnaround than in Minnesota?

I hate to be that guy but I really think Minnesota's turnaround has been remarkable. Not just in trades (we went from a team with so little cap space with a ton of cap space), but in prospect development.

I'm not talking about the 1st and 2nd round picks but guys like Darcy Kuemper, Johan Gustafsson, Erik Haula, Kristopher Foucault, and Tyler Graovac. Yeah I know, dark horses and probably won't make it but it actually feels nice to go, hey! Our 7th round pick looks pretty decent for a prospect instead of going, hey! Our 7th round pick is punching that guy's face in and yeah he won't ever be in the NHL.

I mean the development on some of our prospects has been astounding. Larsson, Bulmer, Zucker, Hackett, and even Gillies.

It's just really refreshing to actually look at the future and realize there is a future there instead of a bunch of grinders and mucklers.

And to me that's been remarkable for an organization known for rushing it's prospects, stunting their growth, and picking some really baffling players (Hey Kassian! How are you? Oh and you as well Boogaard (Aaron). And uh...why was Emmerson picked when we picked Kassian?).

I really don't think I've seen a team turn it around as fast as Minnesota has in terms of prospect development and talent observation.

So huge kudos!

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:59 AM
Kari Takko

Did someone hack your account?

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 04:09 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 50
Technically we haven't officially turned anything around yet considering we've gone from a NW Division title to a regular absence from the playoffs...

Until we actually get results it's still just a potential turn around.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 10:55 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

True but still, in terms of a future, this team has a bright one.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post

Lots of good teams...Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, Edmonton soon. Good drafting plus a #1 pick seems to be a good formula for success.

But the team right now is not good. I'm really starting to wonder about the Burns and Havlat trades. We are really missing that speed up front, almost more so with Bruno gone somehow.

Future is very bright, but the present is...not so much.

Glad to see a positive TSK though!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:16 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
I swear I thought the exact same thing

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:26 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

The future may be brighter, but we had to give up guys that were skilled to get there. The young guys coming up now will be the ones that will determine if we have turned the team around.

Right now though the future looks promising.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:38 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Some of you must not get out to the other boards as much as I do, but TSK has been singing the praises of the Wild prospects for a while now, and rightly so. It has been a nice turnaround.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:39 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Someone is back on their meds! I like it!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:38 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

I would love to say our future is bright, but until we start winning and prove that things will be different, I'll be pessimistic. Every 'new' thing just turns out to be as bad as the one before.

Richards was a mess.
Fletcher was initially very poor as a GM, although he has really picked up his game lately.
Yeo, although early in his tenure, has won 1 game in regulation in his first 9.
The 'new' line up seems to play the same old boring style.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:44 PM
EkiE

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
I would love to say our future is bright, but until we start winning and prove that things will be different, I'll be pessimistic. Every 'new' thing just turns out to be as bad as the one before.

Richards was a mess.
Fletcher was initially very poor as a GM, although he has really picked up his game lately.
Yeo, although early in his tenure, has won 1 game in regulation in his first 9.
The 'new' line up seems to play the same old boring style.
yeah, losing is boring....... style tho, not so much.

EkiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I don't think the Wild is still the same boring team as they were back in the days.

Also, the trap style of play is gone for awhile now. The Wild is an exciting team to watch today.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:41 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
I don't think the Wild is still the same boring team as they were back in the days.

Also, the trap style of play is gone for awhile now. The Wild is an exciting team to watch today.
C'mon guys.... was that game against Anaheim "fun" to watch. Dump, stare at puck; dump, stare at puck; dump, stare at puck. No, not fun to watch. The first game against Columbus, that was fun to watch. Since then, it's mostly just boring/frustrating, not fun. That's my own opinion though.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 01:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Lots of good teams...Tampa, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, Edmonton soon. Good drafting plus a #1 pick seems to be a good formula for success.

But the team right now is not good. I'm really starting to wonder about the Burns and Havlat trades. We are really missing that speed up front, almost more so with Bruno gone somehow.

Future is very bright, but the present is...not so much.

Glad to see a positive TSK though!
On the plus side, I did get to see "Bruno" and "speed" in the same sentence. On the negative side, I have to agree we're not a good team at the moment. Sort of goes to show the lack of depth and need for the first line to carry things.

But then again, the future is brighter than Sunny D.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
C'mon guys.... was that game against Anaheim "fun" to watch. Dump, stare at puck; dump, stare at puck; dump, stare at puck. No, not fun to watch. The first game against Columbus, that was fun to watch. Since then, it's mostly just boring/frustrating, not fun. That's my own opinion though.
I agree with the frustrating and not fun part. I get sick of watching when all that happens is that the other team is able to out everything us on an almost consistent basis. IMO we need to teach the veterans to play with more attitude. If the Wild could actually make it tough for other teams to play us like Yeo preached then we would be in a much better position this season. When the players play with some confidence and swagger then things will turn around. Hopefully we will see signs of this by the end of this season.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
The special units have made the whole difference in that game so that's why it may have looked boring at some point.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I'm entertained by winning. Win games consistently, I don't care how you do it. Lose games and I'm not entertained; again, how you get there I don't care.

As far as the turnaround, the prospects look promising. Especially so given that we're seeing a lot of progression since a lot of these guys were drafted. However, they've got to prove their worth at higher levels first.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:53 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Its way too early to say we've turned it around. We are still losing games and we can't say for certain how our prospects will do. Sure they have given us more cause for optimism and we have a better pool than before, but we can't know how they'll do in the NHL, and until they succeed in the NHL i'm not going to call this a turn around.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Well, we are talking future here, not present.

Not so long ago, Almond was one of our better prospects. No dig on Cody, but i think we have some guys with real offensive potential in the pipe now.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I think that in 2-3 years Wild will be a Stanley Cup contender. This season will be better towards the end, but current guys just haven't found their chemistry yet + our defense blows. But once Granlund comes over and gets a chance to share some of those fluttering saucers to Setoguchi and co, we'll be much better offensively. I have high hopes for Zucker, even if I haven't followed him much. And of course I hope all the best for Haula. Brodin will be good, he is already a man playing among lesser men. If we grab 1-2 top-4 D-men in next couple of summers, we'll have a very, very good team, especially if our younger D-men develop well and go without injuries. I know, that's a big if, but let's hope for the best.

Go Minnesota Wild!

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:39 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I wouldn't say that we'd be a contender in 2-3 years. I think that's when our window starts to open, but in 2-3 years we'll look like the Kings of last year or the year before. A good, quality team that might be favored to make it to the WCF, and have a very bright future, but not generally considered to possibly win the cup in that year. We'll be a high quality team in 2-3 years, but our contender status will take a couple years after that.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote