HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruce Garrioch: "Many believe Gauthier will be the next out the door"

Old
10-30-2011, 01:57 PM
TheBuriedHab

vCash: 500
Why the hell would they bring in Gainey??? PG did most of the leg work on pro personel when Gainey was in charge anyway. Plus you flip from Gainey to Gauthier, Back to Gainey??? That would be the stupidest thing Geoff Molson could do.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:58 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Why the hell would they bring in Gainey??? PG did most of the leg work on pro personel when Gainey was in charge anyway. Plus you flip from Gainey to Gauthier, Back to Gainey??? That would be the stupidest thing Geoff Molson could do.
... but Gainey is drinking Molson's products.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 01:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumFries View Post
Some fans are hard to please sometimes. Gainey did not sent back this team, a decade! If anything, it was the Rejean Houle era who set this team back a decade and the team is still trying to recover. The Roy, Recchi, Damphousse, Turgeon trades coupled with poor drafting and the signing of marginal players to big contracts made this team the laughing stock of the NHL.

Gainey was the one who changed this. He was given nothing to work with and he somewhat made this team competitive again. He landed Kovalev for nothing. He got Bonk. He also acquired Lang and Tanguay. These were NHL caliber players. Would you rather have Poulin, Chouinard, Zholtok and Morissette or Lang, Tanguay and Kovalev in your lineup?

Sure, he made mistakes along the way with Grabovski, Ribeiro, Latendresse and trading for Gomez, however he brought back some credibility to this franchise again.
Wrong again. It was Ronald Corey.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Bullsmith

Garrioch is perhaps the most notoriously unreliable columnist in the country. He makes endless predictions, and almost none of them come true.

At the same time, Pierre Gauthier was either GM or director of pro scouting during all these trades, if I'm not mistaken:

Grabovski for 1 year of Robert Lang
Riberio for the ghost of Yanni Niniimaa
First rounder plus second rounder for 1 year of Alex Tanguay
McDonagh, Higgins and 7.4 million in cap space (i.e. Gaborik) for Gomez.

There are other trades to complain about, but these ones are all JFJ-quality terrible. Any one is potentially a firing offense, and as a group they should lead to indictment. I mean that is a ****ing embarrassment of badness.

Frankly I'm schizophrenic about PG. He's overseen an improving team, but he's also made unforgivable mistakes (see above) and has been very slow this year to react to obvious holes in the team. I worry a lot about how we're going to protect Price and Subban. They're obvious targets and there's no price to pay (Exception Reimer?)

If I were PG, I'd get Gorges extended ASAP. That one could be the straw that breaks his back.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:07 PM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post

At the same time, Pierre Gauthier was either GM or director of pro scouting during all these trades, if I'm not mistaken:

Grabovski for 1 year of Robert Lang
Riberio for the ghost of Yanni Niniimaa
First rounder plus second rounder for 1 year of Alex Tanguay
McDonagh, Higgins and 7.4 million in cap space (i.e. Gaborik) for Gomez.
At the end of the day, Gainey pulled the trigger on those trades, not PG.

Last edited by CareyClutch: 10-30-2011 at 02:13 PM.
CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:22 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../18898741.html

Bruce Garrioch is a bit sketchy to me as an "insider" but I thought I'd post this anyways to see what you guys think.

The timing seems a bit odd, considering we've won 3 in a row..
Anything Garrioch writes I throw out. The guy lies so much he will print anything to get the views

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:27 PM
skule123

Garrioch has good and bad calls, but it's pretty easy to document that he has some kind of personal vendetta about Pierre Gauthier stemming from his time in Ottawa, and that he has nothing constructive to say even about Gauthier's successes.

I don't love Gauthier, but read Garrioch's twitter archives: he doesn't just attack Gauthier for hockey stuff, but for a lot that's not really related to on-ice product.

skule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:36 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

As much as a shakeup would be nice, I am quite fond of our scouting staff among other things. A new GM might want to put his stamp on the team and could ruin one of our bigger assets right now. The only thing I really want is a new coach, and even then JM is good at forcing rookies to learn defense, which is good for the present with such a young roster.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Getting rid of Grabovski for nothing?
He got a early 2nd rounder for Grabovski. That's great value for him at the time.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:53 PM
keepcalmandbeninja

Quote:
He got a early 2nd rounder for Grabovski. That's great value for him at the time.
Perhaps, however it should be noted that we also got a 5th Rounder... Pateryn

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/greg_pateryn

Will his status will determine, at least in part who "won" the Grabovski trade...?

keepcalmandbeninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:01 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Firing Gauthier would be a mistake in my opinion. The Eller trade is looking brilliant right now, he was universally panned for the move yet the move paved the way for Price and got us an exciting young talent in Lars Eller. Halak is now a backup in St. Louis...

The mark of being a great GM is making moves everyone believes to be a mistake only to be proven right over time. That's what Gautier did in his first major move as GM.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:03 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Lol @ Bruce Garrioch

Epic fail

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:03 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannicanella View Post
Perhaps, however it should be noted that we also got a 5th Rounder... Pateryn

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/greg_pateryn

Will his status will determine, at least in part who "won" the Grabovski trade...?
A good team will never have the likes of Grabovski in a top 2 line role. He's the epitome of a bad team scorer. Basically on bad teams, some player will get prime icetime that he would never get on a good teams and ends up with decent numbers, but if you have those types of players in prime roles, you'll never be more than mediocre. We've had guys like that in our own dark ages such as P.Brisebois, Y.Perreault, O.Petrov and S.Zholtok.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 10-30-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old
10-30-2011, 03:13 PM
ChoseLa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
A good team will never have the likes of Grabovski in a top 2 line role. He's the epitome of a bad team scorer. Basically on bad teams, some player will get prime icetime that he would never get on a good teams and ends up with decent numbers, but if you have those types of players in prime roles, you'll never be more than mediocre. We've had guys like that in our own dark ages such as P.Brisebois, Y.Perreault, O.Petrov and S.Zholtok.
Still Grabovsky is looking more and more for real. I thought he was a bad team scorer too, but his tenur his making me think twice about it. Still better than Gomez for sure.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Still Grabovsky is looking more and more for real. I thought he was a bad team scorer too, but his tenur his making me think twice about it. Still better than Gomez for sure.
If Gomez played like the Gomez in Jersey, he'd be a legit #1 center. He's crap now, but I'd take the Gomez we had in the first year after the trade over Grabo at his best.

I'm guessing, the better the Leafs get, the smaller Grabo's role will be.

Last edited by Psycho Papa Joe: 10-30-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old
10-30-2011, 03:23 PM
la25ecoupe

If Gomez is gone, we can have an extra Cole and Gionta.

Cole - Plek - Cammy
New Winger - New Center - Gionta
Patches - Eller - AK
Moen - DD - Niko

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Habit11

I'm not going to applaud everything he's done, but I think he's improved on the job done by Gainey, and he's been able to make tough decisions that are working out in his favour. Price over Halak was a tough decision that worked out. Taking Eller off St. Louis when maybe he could have got a roster player at the time, seems to be paying off. Letting Wiz/Hammer walk were his next big gamble, so hopefully for his and the team's sake Markov comes back as good as he was because right now Gorges is eating Hamrlik's tough minutes and doing a hell of a job at a better price. Cole signing is looking better, game by game. So far, the backlash of the Pearn firing has coincided with 3 straight wins, and a team that has adjusted it's style a bit (seem more aggressive to me), and have improved their play in the areas he was directly responsible for. I doubt his head is on the chopping block just yet.

Habit11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
buy low sell high...

Grabs "value" in trade at the time might very well have been minimal (and we have no way to know with complete certainty, so can't say wether 2nd was "great value"), but that's precisely why you don't move said player at that time.

what all the young talented players that we got a clearly poor return for (in terms of how those players progressed within the immediate future of having been traded) had in common is that they were either portrayed as "headaches", had asked to be moved (believing that they could play well enough to deserve a more important role, something all of them have since clearly established), or didn't "fit" into our plans for whatever reason...

so trading them isn't really the issue, the issue is trading them in deals where we clearly ended up with far less valuable assets (either in NHL contribution, or in organizational depth)...

just b/c the best offer you get on your car is way below it's actual worth, doesn't mean you pull the trigger... unless your desperate... a good GM works hard to avoid dealing out of desperation.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:40 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

He definitely lasts the season. After that he could be canned or he could be extended. This is a big year for Gautier...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
If Gainey came back, I'll never watch this team again and lose respect for this franchise forever. The man set this team back a decade, his trades were among the worst ever this franchise has ever witnessed.
Wow you just made me a Gainey believer, come back Gainey!

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:53 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
No way this has any merit to it. I've asked a few of my friends linked to the media and they said "No one is in the hot seat for now but he has no inside information to warrant this kind of prediction, just coming from his gut feeling and right now his gut says bring me another beer"

/thread

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by XperHFB View Post
Kind of hard to do worst then Rejean Houle.
Say that again.

Quote:
At least Gauthier brought us players with names....like camallari, gomez, Cole, gionta, spacek...Gainey was really good in terms of setting the team straight.
Not to nitpick here but of that list, only Cole was brought in by Gauthier.
Gainey stepped down in Feb 2010, every other player you listed was signed or traded for in '09.

But yeah, maybe some fans are a little young and didn't experience the mid-late 90's like some of us did and don't realise the huge hole Gainey actually dug us out of.

Saying that Gainey set us back a decade is actually a ridiculous statement.
Might wanna go back and do a little research first and see what he inherited.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 10-30-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Rhiessan71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Firing Gauthier would be a mistake in my opinion. The Eller trade is looking brilliant right now, he was universally panned for the move yet the move paved the way for Price and got us an exciting young talent in Lars Eller. Halak is now a backup in St. Louis...

The mark of being a great GM is making moves everyone believes to be a mistake only to be proven right over time. That's what Gautier did in his first major move as GM.
Really? That's the mark of a great GM? What about steady improvement and results?

Gauthier has his fingerprints on some of the worst transactions in the franchise's history. The development system is depleted and in critical condition. The team is still the 6-10 also-ran it's been for years. He's more interested in building his personna as some mysterious quasi-philosopher than making strides towards a championship.

Having said that I agree with everyone that Garrioch is a disconnected hack. I'll add that I think he has a grudge against Gauthier as he seems to always portray PG as a half wit in his trade rumours and has taken personal shots at him on occasion. I think PG is safe but I wish he weren't.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:13 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Really? That's the mark of a great GM? What about steady improvement and results?

Gauthier has his fingerprints on some of the worst transactions in the franchise's history. The development system is depleted and in critical condition. The team is still the 6-10 also-ran it's been for years. He's more interested in building his personna as some mysterious quasi-philosopher than making strides towards a championship.

Having said that I agree with everyone that Garrioch is a disconnected hack. I'll add that I think he has a grudge against Gauthier as he seems to always portray PG as a half wit in his trade rumours and has taken personal shots at him on occasion. I think PG is safe but I wish he weren't.
really?? the SK trade?? D'Ags?? Worst trade in the franchise history??

Gauthier have more good trades than bad since he's the Habs GM

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:14 PM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfanatical View Post
Still hate the Rivet to SJ for Gorges + 1st (Pacioretty)?

Gomez is the only true blunder by Gainey, hopefully with the way the team is playing tho that he has a hard time cracking the line up again.
Ribeiro trade say hi !

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote