HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Doug Weight be a coach?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2011, 02:01 PM
  #1
islesfan3991
Registered User
 
islesfan3991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,508
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Could Doug Weight be a coach?

After seeing Doug Weight go crazy last night it made me think if he could get a head coaching job in the league. I think it was great what he showed last night. I was very supprised that Cappy wasn't as fired up as Weight was. I'm not saying that Weight should be coach of the Isles but do you think he has a career in coaching in the NHL in the future?

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:11 PM
  #2
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Officer Clutterbuck
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,622
vCash: 500
I loved his intensity last night, but hiring him as coach now? Didn't it sound like a mistake when Garth was hired immediately after retiring? Bad idea now, but maybe good in a couple years.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:21 PM
  #3
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I loved his intensity last night, but hiring him as coach now? Didn't it sound like a mistake when Garth was hired immediately after retiring? Bad idea now, but maybe good in a couple years.
Nino needs time. Pouling needs time. Martin needs time. Hamonic still needs time. Strome and others need time. Capuano served his apprentiship. Snow did not. So.....let's wait a bit on Doug Weight. He's got some learning to do and has not "done all he can at that level" like every kid to hit puberty in the last 20 years of failure.

Let's let him grow some coaching squigglies on his nards before anointing him, plz.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:23 PM
  #4
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
Apparently all you got to do to be an NHL coach is to lose your mind on the bench.

Blowing up like that does nothing to change the call, absolutely nothing. Have you ever seen a coach screaming and generally losing his cool change a ref's mind? In any sport?

Yes it shows intensity, but it shows misplaced intensity. While Weight was screaming at the ref, Cappy was tapping Nielsen telling him to go out on the ice. I hate speculating too far out bounds but that shows that his mind has already moved on, which is the best thing you can do at that point. You can't change the call, but you can kill off the penalty.


Last edited by Renbarg: 10-30-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:40 PM
  #5
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by islesfan3991 View Post
After seeing Doug Weight go crazy last night it made me think if he could get a head coaching job in the league. I think it was great what he showed last night. I was very supprised that Cappy wasn't as fired up as Weight was. I'm not saying that Weight should be coach of the Isles but do you think he has a career in coaching in the NHL in the future?
If Ralph Kramden were alive today, he'd make a great coach. He was constantly yelling about everything.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:41 PM
  #6
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Apparently all you got to do to be an NHL coach is to lose your mind on the bench.

Blowing up like that does nothing to change the call, absolutely nothing. Have you ever seen a coach screaming and generally losing his cool change a ref's mind? In any sport?

Yes it shows intensity, but it shows misplaced intensity. While Weight was screaming at the ref, Cappy was tapping Nielsen telling him to go out on the ice. I hate speculating too far out bounds but that shows that his mind has already moved on, which is the best thing you can that point. You can't change the call, but you can kill off the penalty.
Good to see a little common sense on this board.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:51 PM
  #7
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 500
Hmm I could've sworn only a couple of months ago when there were rumors that Weight could be the next coach people lost their heads...

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:44 PM
  #8
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky
 
KingLio21093's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Hmm I could've sworn only a couple of months ago when there were rumors that Weight could be the next coach people lost their heads...
Exactly. I think these boards are a little bipolar.

Renbarg is absolutely right with his post. Just because he blew a fuse on the bench doesn't mean he's immediately NHL head coach material.

KingLio21093 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:13 PM
  #9
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Apparently all you got to do to be an NHL coach is to lose your mind on the bench.

Blowing up like that does nothing to change the call, absolutely nothing. Have you ever seen a coach screaming and generally losing his cool change a ref's mind? In any sport?

Yes it shows intensity, but it shows misplaced intensity. While Weight was screaming at the ref, Cappy was tapping Nielsen telling him to go out on the ice. I hate speculating too far out bounds but that shows that his mind has already moved on, which is the best thing you can that point. You can't change the call, but you can kill off the penalty.
Apparently you missed the fact that he has 1200 more games of NHL experience under his belt than Cappy does.

I am sure if Weight was the coach he would have never figured out the penalty needed to be killed.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:14 PM
  #10
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Hmm I could've sworn only a couple of months ago when there were rumors that Weight could be the next coach people lost their heads...
Yes, that was months ago. Long before some fans realized Cappy cannot motivate his team.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:20 PM
  #11
KyleBailey12
Registered User
 
KyleBailey12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,793
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Exactly. I think these boards are a little bipolar.

Renbarg is absolutely right with his post. Just because he blew a fuse on the bench doesn't mean he's immediately NHL head coach material.
Just a little?

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:33 PM
  #12
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky
 
KingLio21093's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Garden City, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Apparently you missed the fact that he has 1200 more games of NHL experience under his belt than Cappy does.

I am sure if Weight was the coach he would have never figured out the penalty needed to be killed.
Yeah, because NHL experience really helped Gretzky lead the Coyotes to a load of Stanley Cups!

Star players who end out being coaches usually end up doing terrible. See: Gretzky, Isiah Thomas, etc. Playing the game and coaching is so much more different.

That said, I cannot determine whether Weight will be a good coach or not. He needs some experience behind the bench as an Assistant Coach first to get all the aspects of coaching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Yes, that was months ago. Long before some fans realized Cappy cannot motivate his team.
And you came to this conclusion based on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
Just a little?
Yeah, I definitely underexaggerated that

KingLio21093 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:25 PM
  #13
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Yes, that was months ago. Long before some fans realized Cappy cannot motivate his team.
Right...he didn't motivate the team to totally turn their season around the second half of last year or anything. I love all the armchair NHL executives this forum has, this recession really hit the NHL hard with all of you being unemployeed by a team!

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:27 PM
  #14
xECK29x
Moderator
 
xECK29x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Coram, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Apparently you missed the fact that he has 1200 more games of NHL experience under his belt than Cappy does.

I am sure if Weight was the coach he would have never figured out the penalty needed to be killed.
Most NHL coaches have way less, your argument is invalid

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:36 PM
  #15
Renbarg
Registered User
 
Renbarg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Apparently you missed the fact that he has 1200 more games of NHL experience under his belt than Cappy does.

I am sure if Weight was the coach he would have never figured out the penalty needed to be killed.
First off, mentioning NHL games is completely irrelevant. How many NHL games did Scotty Bowman play?


The point is Cappy was worried about killing the penalty, while Weight was worried about getting his two cents in to the refs. Obviously Weight probably has absolutely nothing to do with the PK. If Cappy wasn't worried about the PK (i.e. if he was an assistant coach in charge of the PP), maybe he too would have the luxury to scream his head off pointlessly.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:14 PM
  #16
islesfan3991
Registered User
 
islesfan3991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 2,508
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Personally, I want a coach that will show intensity. I want a coach that will defend his team at all cost. I think what Weight did was both. I'm not saying at all that Cappy shouldn't be the coach because he did turn the team around last season. But maybe Weight could be a coach either here or somewhere else.

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:58 AM
  #17
LIUhockey18
Registered User
 
LIUhockey18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
It doesn't take a good coach to get fired up about a call they disagreed with. I'm sure he will make a good head coach one day since he was such smart player, but I don't think he will be getting a job like that until a few years down the road.

As for Cappy not getting fired up, I've been on the coaching side of the bench at the college level before and you can't have your whole coaching staff going off on the ref. If that happens then the refs will ignore you the rest of the night and you run the risk of having a coach ejected from the bench the next time he gets fired up like that. Someone has to keep the level head in that situation.

LIUhockey18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:00 AM
  #18
Isles Junkie
Registered User
 
Isles Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,061
vCash: 500
Doug Weight is the next head coach of the Islanders. Whether it happens this year, next year, or 3 years from now, he is the next head coach. not a doubt in my mind.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:17 AM
  #19
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,662
vCash: 500
I think thats wangs ultimate goal.....I love weight but we have not had a legit coach since Teddy Nolan IMO......We need a coach with a track record who the players respect as a coach...They would respect weight as a player but a coach should be respected for his Coaching not playing days imo....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 04:51 AM
  #20
ScaredStreit
Registered User
 
ScaredStreit's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Apparently you missed the fact that he has 1200 more games of NHL experience under his belt than Cappy does.

I am sure if Weight was the coach he would have never figured out the penalty needed to be killed.
The greatest coach in NHL history has played exactly: 0, ZERO NHL games. Hell he never made it to the AHL, and played in 26 QPJHL games.

ScaredStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:36 AM
  #21
Bauer Warrior*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,183
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Apparently all you got to do to be an NHL coach is to lose your mind on the bench.

Blowing up like that does nothing to change the call, absolutely nothing. Have you ever seen a coach screaming and generally losing his cool change a ref's mind? In any sport?

Yes it shows intensity, but it shows misplaced intensity. While Weight was screaming at the ref, Cappy was tapping Nielsen telling him to go out on the ice. I hate speculating too far out bounds but that shows that his mind has already moved on, which is the best thing you can do at that point. You can't change the call, but you can kill off the penalty.
Not only can Doug Weight be a coach, but he will be. Like another poster said, after he's served his apprenticeship.

As far as having the fire after the bad call in overtime, I loved it, and it's absolutely necessary. He's not expecting an official to change his mind, but that particular official won't forget him, and for all the right reasons. I'll bet it's along time before any of that officiating team blows that call again, especially on Coliseum ice. The idea is not to try to change a mind, it's to make a case, and to let an official know that blowing a call is unacceptable, and now that whole team knows. It's not for instant gratification, it's for down the road. Would you rather that the coaching staff just rolled over and died? Is that the kind of passion you're looking for?

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:15 AM
  #22
Sammy2010*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Yeah, because NHL experience really helped Gretzky lead the Coyotes to a load of Stanley Cups!

Star players who end out being coaches usually end up doing terrible. See: Gretzky, Isiah Thomas, etc. Playing the game and coaching is so much more different.

That said, I cannot determine whether Weight will be a good coach or not. He needs some experience behind the bench as an Assistant Coach first to get all the aspects of coaching.

And you came to this conclusion based on?

Yeah, I definitely underexaggerated that
Yea, because Cappy has them in 28th place right now. Which is even worse than last year.

I came to the conclusion on the fact that the team has been been playing with no emotion all year. Apparently you are the only one who missed that.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.