HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#09 | San Jose Sharks vs. New York Islanders | Oct 29 | L 2-3 (OT)

Old
10-30-2011, 02:35 PM
LAIslanderFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
What is your choice:

a) Home feed, in Standard Definition
b) Away feed in High Def

If you want the Islander local feed that MSG chooses to provide prepare to squint.

This was one of Gordon's biggest flaws - he let the refs, the other team's dirty players, etc., all crap on his players without pushing back. Some things are so egregious you have to get angry and let the idiots know it won't be overlooked, swept under the rug, etc. I applaud Weight ripping the officials. It would have been nice to see our C & A's ride them as well.
I think it was done properly. Weight vented at the officials, but Cappy needs to move on. Can't feel sorry for themselves.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:37 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Sure there is. Maybe the emotion will carry down to the players.
So Cappy should ***** about how the refs stole the game, maybe he can throw in a "they cheated, no fair".

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:04 PM
88th Precinct
'Charro Unchained'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
I think it was done properly. Weight vented at the officials, but Cappy needs to move on. Can't feel sorry for themselves.
Agreed.

I actually like the difference between Capuano & Weight. JC can stay calm, in that stoic, Fred Flintstone, I'm-more-comfortable-in-my-tracksuit way. Weight, who was closer to the individual players as a player as a player himself, can bark at the refs and get vocal.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:35 PM
Law

Send a message via AIM to Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
I hope they post the pregame ceremony on Islanders.TV. For the sixth time this season Center Ice offered only the opponents TV broadcast. Really, why aren't we getting Howie and Butch on all the home games? I am having a hard time identifying the Isles as my team, being forced to listen to these foreign bradcasters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Min Misconduct View Post
For the first time in year's CI is really pissing me off with the constant away feed of our games.
Quote:
What is your choice:

b) Away feed in High Def

If you want the Islander local feed that MSG chooses to provide prepare to squint.
<cough> DirecTV <cough>

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I had to laugh, but then I remembered where in the US San Jose is, and now I must bitterly agree with the sentiment.

On DTV, I got both feeds on my Center Ice.....but I'm still trying to figure out how they arrange home and away teams (or is it done my ratings or other method) so I can schedule the right feed.

I got lucky last night. 50/50 and I picked the second feed which wound up being the home feed, not the foreign one.
If they have both feeds, home team is always the second one listed. If it's only one listed...well, you don't have a choice anyway.

I am a little happier this as they've added HNIC HD feeds for Saturday night (at least they did last night). Even stayed on for 'After Hours' after the Caps-Nucks game. Throw in a bunch of Jets games on TSN that have been in HD and we're getting closer to all games having both HD options. Not there yet, but DTV is closer than any of the cable providers that use InDemand so I can't complain too much.

Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:41 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
So Cappy should ***** about how the refs stole the game, maybe he can throw in a "they cheated, no fair".
You're right, no emotion should be brought into the game.

BTW, this so called rebuild is stuck in neutral. They finished 27th last year, and that is where they are today. NO progress.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:56 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
You're right, no emotion should be brought into the game.

BTW, this so called rebuild is stuck in neutral. They finished 27th last year, and that is where they are today. NO progress.
Love how your response has nothing to do with what he was talking about. He said Cap shouldn't complain about the refs influencing the outcome of the game, and you turn that into not bringing any emotion into the game.

Way to completely miss the point.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
What is your choice:

b) Away feed in High Def

This was one of Gordon's biggest flaws - he let the refs, the other team's dirty players, etc., all crap on his players without pushing back. Some things are so egregious you have to get angry and let the idiots know it won't be overlooked, swept under the rug, etc. I applaud Weight ripping the officials. It would have been nice to see our C & A's ride them as well.

Last night bother feed SD and HD were the San Jose feed. I rather watch the SD feed then a HD away feed. Most of the announcers out there SUCK! They even make Butch look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
Center Ice is only giving us out-of-marketers one feed, and it's only been from the Islanders side 3 times out of 9 games. In past years they've offered the home feed almost all of the time. They did give us both feeds for the Penguins home game for some reason.

That is correct. For more or less we always got the home feed and I am okay with that. What I am not okay with is getting the away feed when we are home unless its the Tampa game due to blackout restrictions.

10-30-2011, 05:23 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
question: has parenteau been dropped off the top line? Someone just dropped him in a fantasy league and i dont understand why.

10-30-2011, 06:05 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
^Nope, but he hasn't been producing; could by why they dropped him.

If your fantasy league counts turnovers, he may be worth a flyer.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:08 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
^Nope, but he hasn't been producing; could by why they dropped him.

If your fantasy league counts turnovers, he may be worth a flyer.
he's still ppg in 9 games and has 4 pppoints.

just wondering if something was going on that i didnt hear about. Seems weird in a 20-team league to drop a ppg player just because the team is on a 5 game losing streak.

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:17 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Also I disagree on Bailey, I see a player that is 1-2 seconds too slow for the NHL, see Schremp, Tambellini, Chyzowski, Dalgarno, etc....

Comeau on the first line would work, it did at the end of 09/10. Martin moved up to at least the 3rd line would work. I really wish we could deal Bailey for his equivalent on defense (prospect that is playing regularly that is not contributing). Then we can bring up Haley for toughness and move Reasoner up to either 2nd or 3rd line warming the spot up for Strome or an FA.
It's not like we're scoring 5-on-5 in droves. Reasoner and Haley aren't going to help with that. Our special teams have been very good to great. Our goaltending has been very good to great. Our defense has been better than average. We've had some timely scoring, though also timely scoring against us. Somewhere within all of that is where we're getting some points.

That's some tough company to place Bailey with, though the "kid line" in 92-93 was effective. I think Bailey's ability to see the ice has often been wasted on his wingers. I'm not sure why he would be included on that list. I'm going to beg to differ about what his future is going to hold.

Rolston hasn't done much during 5-on-5 play and Comeau has only been awake for 2 games. Now that Comeau is back on the right side where he'll be more likely to shoot or facing the net instead of away from it when coming off the boards, I'd like to see whether the line can get some scoring going. I thought they looked pretty good in the last game. I thought Bailey looked pretty good in the last two.

Unless the right player comes along, I don't see any trades happening for a bit. I'd love to bring in a legit vet to slot behind Tavares and a 1st line right winger. I doubt we're going to get a top-4 right-handed d-man right away. It would be nice, so that Jurcina can play 3rd pairing (and be relied on less in case he gets injured again.) However, I think we're fine back there until injuries occur again.

We're not fine 5-on-5 across all of our lines, but after a strong effort and some new personnel coming in, I'm willing to be patient for the moment. It's early and we do need a larger sample size. (Of course, if I'm Garth, I'm sniffing around to improve JT's wing and add some size to the lineup.)

My hope for Strome is still as a winger. If we're going to bring in a 2nd line center, let them be a big boy. I'd be OK with trading Bailey in the right deal, but I don't see a center ready to replace him just yet. I also think Bailey sure could use a bit of patience. Handled properly, this might be his first NHL season. JT-Nielsen-Reasoner-Haley isn't really what I would have in mind down the middle and we still need some size on the wings with that. I'm willing to wait and see what ends up happening with Nino here. Eventually, all of our lines will need changing to help us improve at 5-on-5.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:31 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Just looking ahead to the future a bit. But the future 1st line very well could be Nino - Tavares - Strome

Petrov very well might be an option there as early as next year (I believe with 100% certainty that he's coming over)

But it's clear as day that this team needs more size, skill & grit on the top 9. But the club can't afford to wait to grow it. Anders Lee is at least another year away from the AHL. Nelson is at least 2 years away from a pro contract, probably more. Ullstrom could make an impact next year. Czikas isn't big, but he'll provide some grit, but he's a 4th liner anyway. Any other big bodies I'm forgetting are 3+ years out anyway.

Snow has to address this issue. Even if this team made the playoffs, they'd get eaten alive. IMO it would have more to do with their lack of physicality then it would their lack of experience.
The bolded 1st line, or something similar, is exactly what I'm envisioning. We'll end up with more size and skill on the wing before we'll end up with it down the middle. I always thought we'd end up small down the middle, but could make up for it with some size on the side. We don't have as much size and skill on the wing as I would like. If Bailey has to go in order to enable that, so be it. With that said, unless a team wants some cap space, it'll have to be an interesting deal. Personally, I think we can be a more patient with our current centers if we move some things around.

Actually, to be slightly on topic, I was shocked at how unphysical the Sharks were considering their overall size advantage. It seemed only a few players on both sides were doing most of the hitting.

Regardless of all of the above, I still want to give the team 20-25 games before I'm upgrading it (by moving a major piece.) In the meantime, I really hope they juggle the right wings like I've mentioned. Also, the next time we lay a real stinker over 60 minutes, I want to shake the lines up. I'm dying to shake the lines up. I want to mix the speed and size throughout the lineup. I think we'll be much better off 5-on-5, especially since we're rolling 4 lines. I think our forwards have some skill depth, but we don't have a good mix overall. Because of that, I'd like to min-max the groups. (Again, not after our most recent effort. If the lines gel as is, so be it. JT is still going to be held back, but looking at it the other way, he'll be bringing guys along with him in ways that others can't.)

Grabner-Tavares-Martin
Moulson-Bailey-Okposo
Rolston-Nielsen-Comeau
Pandolfo-Reasoner-PAP
Gillies/Haley

The entire right side is interchangeable depending on how our guys are playing and how physical the other team is.

Mitch

Old
10-30-2011, 08:41 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
question: has parenteau been dropped off the top line? Someone just dropped him in a fantasy league and i dont understand why.
They might see the writing on the wall. Eventually, Nino/Comeau might replace him. Also, PAP has been playing his old ugly game the past couple of games - Falling down and turning the puck over galore.

Still, the line can be very good against slower teams in the offensive zone. The line will also probably stay intact until another player pushes forward to grab the spot (or Cappy recognizes the importance of JT's health when he's getting drilled at least once a game.) It does appear that the Moulson-JT-PAP line seem to like playing with each other, though I'd imagine JT gets frustrated at times. PAP is also a bit scrappy, which can't hurt. Of course, I'd rather have a guy like Martin up there who can back that up while still having some semblance of skill, but I've written plenty about that already.

Who did they pick up instead? PAP could be a pretty cheap 50 points and will probably get his handful of PPPs as long as he's in the lineup, but a lot of it will depend on what your league is like. I can't stand the guy on our first line, but he plays hard and I could see his use in fantasy leagues as long as he's getting the minutes and playing with more talented players. Obviously, that is the thing to monitor. Just keep an eye on the NHL.COM stats where you can monitor all of the kinds of ice time he's getting. As long as PAP is in the top-6 and getting plenty of PP time, he'll get his points.

Mitch

Old
10-30-2011, 11:25 PM
HookeyPookey*

Good interview, I agree as well the Islanders did alot right against the Sharks and the 'little more desperation' is exactly what I hadn't seen from the other losing games.

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:27 PM
HookeyPookey*

I have Parenteau in fantasy. He is good for assists and have the luxury of being able to bench him when the Islanders play someone good, he murders the +/- stat a bit. Doesnt do a whole lot else. If the Islanders are going to score this season it's going to be that top you know and it's real easy for PAP to pick some assists from that top line. I only play him when I think we are going to win though otherwise he doesnt do a whole lot else...

HookeyPookey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:46 AM
PoPo22

how was DP? didnt get to see the game.

PoPo22 is offline   Reply With Quote