HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Rundblad II (Bigup Blade Runner on his first goal! 11/27/11 vs. Canes)

Old
10-30-2011, 03:40 PM
topshelfie

vCash: 500
Yeah I can't wait until Rundblad and Karlsson are the only 2 options for our #1 powerplay. The passes Rundblad makes and his poise with the puck might be the best I've seen from a sens defenceman.

If you could compare Rundblad to another NHL defenceman( current or retired) who would it be?

topshelfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:08 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post
Yeah I can't wait until Rundblad and Karlsson are the only 2 options for our #1 powerplay. The passes Rundblad makes and his poise with the puck might be the best I've seen from a sens defenceman.

If you could compare Rundblad to another NHL defenceman( current or retired) who would it be?
Well right now Rundblad reminds me of Tomas Kaberle, but that comparison will end once Rundblad starts rushing the puck more often in NHL games.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
Well, we're more than satisfied so far. He's actually been much more of a calming presence than I was expecting in the defensive zone. When he gets the puck on his stick he's patient enough (and obviously talented enough) to find space for himself and get the puck up to the forwards.

Offensively he hasn't been given a huge role thus far because of 65 and 55 but in the offensive opportunities he's gotten he's been pretty good, although he defers a bit too much. Some of the moves - especially the toe-drags - he pulls at the point are incredible. So I would say that he definitely doesn't look out of place. Probably as he gets more comfortable his game will become considerably more dynamic.

It's an exciting prospect to think of how scary of a double-threat Karlsson and Rundblad could be even only one or two years down the line.
What's nice about that though is it gives him the opportunity to see how a powerplay is run first-hand (and this year it's been deadly). It's that ideal Detroit Red Wings approach: bring the guy into a low-pressure situation and let them learn at their own pace. Obviously we don't know what goes on in practice but I'd reckon that's where Rundblad is being trained for the powerplay and offensively, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him with more minutes on the PP after a few more games.

The reasons he isn't getting the chance right now on the first-unit I'd guess are:

a) He isn't quite ready offensively or confident enough to run the PP in the NHL
b) We might get into trouble defensively having a Rundblad-Gonchar or Rundblad-Karlsson pairing
c) With Gonch and Karlsson firing on all cylinders, who do you take out?

I missed all the games this week on a trip but I hear Rundblad has been looking better and better, which is awesome to hear. I caught that sweet pass to Alfie for the Foligno game winner on the highlights and was totally impressed by how slick and cool with the puck he was there (even more blown away by the fact that one of Foligno's moves actually worked, lol). The future looks bright on D.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Rundblad's best game as a Sen to date. Oh my god he was awesome out there today. Great defensively. Great offensively. Someone needs to put up a vid of "DAT PASS." Blocked some key shots and then threw one of the Toronto players to the ice in the last 5. Unbelievable game for the kid!!!!

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/con...71862&fr=false

Last edited by Cujomi: 10-30-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Cujomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:16 PM
TrueGrit

Seemed lost on Macarthur's second goal but I echo what CJ said, great game aside from that.

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:19 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Dat pass.

He was unreal tonight. So was Karlsson and Cowen. I am a firm believer now that we'll have an unreal blueline in a few years.

10-30-2011, 10:20 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueGrit View Post
Seemed lost on Macarthur's second goal but I echo what CJ said, great game aside from that.
He was on the right side, it was Philips that left his man and left his position which was in front of the net.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Minister of Offence

Dat pass.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:21 PM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
He was on the right side, it was Philips that left his man and left his position which was in front of the net.
Phillips needs to stop overcompensating for his defense partner. Just let the rookies get burned and live with it, rather than overplay and get caught out of position for easy tap-ins the other way.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:23 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Yep. Vintage Phillips.

Anyways, phenomenal game by Rundblad. The most skilled D in the NHL IMO.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Euclid
Futbol Fan

He made two critical blocks in a row in the last 3 minutes. Went down on one knee and took em both, then raced to the corner to lay a hit on a Leaf. His best defensive shift right there.

...that pass wasn't too bad either.

Euclid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Iamok
#Panic

It's amazing how different he's playing here in NA rather than in Sweden. The lack of extra space is really hurting his offensive creativity, but his defensive game is far superior to than what many Swedish posters were saying.

Plus, that pass was absolutely gorgeous.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

This kid gets better and better.
Improving faster than Karlsson imo. But then again Karlsson's offence is a higher caliber.

And man does he ever look for hits. Reminds of of Sutton.

Super Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:57 PM
thephillyflu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
It's amazing how different he's playing here in NA rather than in Sweden. The lack of extra space is really hurting his offensive creativity, but his defensive game is far superior to than what many Swedish posters were saying.

Plus, that pass was absolutely gorgeous.
Rundblad's defensive play was underrated in Sweden. Some turn-overs here and there (what offesnive minded defenseman won't produce turnovers?) gave him a reputation for being bad in defense. Especially when he made a really bad turnover at a critical moment in a WJC game, since then he had a reputation that he couldn't wipe away.

Rundblad played serious defensive minutes in Skellefteć, and I'm talking serious minutes. PK, 5vs5 when ahead, last 30 seconds when up by one goal, 3 against 5, everything. Played every PK.

He's not great defensively, but for an offensive minded defenseman, he ain't that bad actually. I don't think it's fair either to compare to stay at home defensemen, since they don't have to try to create, create, create all the time like Rundblad does. Of course then he's going to have some giveaways, and of course he's sometimes going to lose some struggles along the boards since he goes into a lot of them with offense and outlet pass in mind.

I'd say he's better than Karlsson defensively.

thephillyflu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:00 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Still seems a bit too passive at times in the D zone, but was good other than that.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Interesting stat...

...Rundblad is 3rd on the team in blocked shots behind Phillips and Kuba with 13. 2 ahead of Cowen! :O

Old
10-31-2011, 12:10 AM
ShotDownCrosby

Rundblad has definitely improved!

And WHAT a pass!!!

ShotDownCrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:22 AM
Asquaredx2

FFS NHL.com

Old
10-31-2011, 07:32 AM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

What's so hard about spelling Rundblad. Seriously, this continues to puzzle me. There are far weirder names in the NHL.

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Dosing

jealousy

Dosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:57 AM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post
What's so hard about spelling Rundblad. Seriously, this continues to puzzle me. There are far weirder names in the NHL.
Thank God they're not talking about a Runblad - Cowan pairing.

Old
10-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelfie View Post

I wish he was a left shot. It's one of the reason why Karlsson-Gonchar is clicking right now

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Cujomi
YNWA

Yeah I never understood why people always spell Cowen as Cowan.

Old
10-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Rediscoveryx

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Beardliness View Post

The funny thing is that even in Sweden, many people (including some Skellefteć-fans) spelled his name "Runblad" for about a year after he established himself in the SEL. Which is extremely strange as "Rundblad" is a perfectly normal swedish surname (while I'm not even sure that the surname "Runblad" exists).

Rediscoveryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Flamingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rediscoveryx View Post
The funny thing is that even in Sweden, many people (including some Skellefteć-fans) spelled his name "Runblad" for about a year after he established himself in the SEL. Which is extremely strange as "Rundblad" is a perfectly normal swedish surname (while I'm not even sure that the surname "Runblad" exists).
Maybe it's shorthand for saying that his "d" game is lacking?

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote