HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

W Emerson Etem (2010, 29th overall, Anaheim)

Old
10-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Beesfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
He has more than twice as many points as next leading scorer Shinkaruk, that's pretty insane. What a year he's having so far.
That's the most impressive stat.

I didn't think Etem was a record-breaking type player, but it doesn't look like there is any stopping him right now.

Beesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:22 PM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan1216 View Post
You can brag when any of them do ANYTHING at the NHL level. Does Sbisa even play in Anaheim anymore ? The best player in the deal is and will always be Mr. Pronger.
Maybe maybe, but if Sbisa, Palmieri and Etem reach their potential or anyway close to it, I'm very happy that Ducks did this trade. In fact, I wouldn't trade those guys now for healthy Pronger.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 02:38 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

I'll be interested in seeing if he can translate it to the NHL. Does he have 30 goal potential?

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Uh, they made it to the Finals with him and Anaheim hasn't made it out of the 1st round since he left, so I think they like him just fine.
The trade was made for the future. It was expected that when you lose a defensemen at his level that you will lose some of your muster. The trade was about as good as it could possibly be for the Ducks.

Sbisa is already a top 4 defensemen. He just so happens to be playing behind last years leading defensemen in points, Lydman who was in the like top 3 in +/- in the NHL, and Fowler-Beauchemin who has been amazing to start the season.

Tell me what #5 defensemen in the NHL are better then Sbisa right now.

Sbisa: Top 4 defensemen already

Palmieri: AHL top goal scorer at age 20 (he has 8 in 6 games and someone has 9 in 10 games)

Etem: Destroying the WHL. Top goal scorer and leading in Points per game.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
I'll be interested in seeing if he can translate it to the NHL. Does he have 30 goal potential?
Personally, I think people apply certain limited "ceilings" to too many prospects. Not every NHL player that scored 30 in the past seasons has shown such promise at the junior level, so I generally would not be quick to dismiss a "30 goal potential" for any prospect, not only Ducks prospects. It's obviously difficult to say how the translation process works, as that's something that goes beyond looking at certain trademark-qualities - or lack thereof - as most do when trying to project that. So yes, I would have a very hard time finding a reason to answer your question with "no".

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyYourTheDevils View Post
Absolutely. He might realistically score 60+ goals this season in the WHL.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:17 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliff View Post
The trade was made for the future. It was expected that when you lose a defensemen at his level that you will lose some of your muster. The trade was about as good as it could possibly be for the Ducks.

Sbisa is already a top 4 defensemen. He just so happens to be playing behind last years leading defensemen in points, Lydman who was in the like top 3 in +/- in the NHL, and Fowler-Beauchemin who has been amazing to start the season.

Tell me what #5 defensemen in the NHL are better then Sbisa right now.

Sbisa: Top 4 defensemen already

Palmieri: AHL top goal scorer at age 20 (he has 8 in 6 games and someone has 9 in 10 games)

Etem: Destroying the WHL. Top goal scorer and leading in Points per game.
Yep, they're all doing great.

Good for Anaheim (though I still think they should've kept Pronger and opened up cap space elsewhere), but it's ridiculous to think that Philly would regret the deal, as the post I responded to insinuated. Pronger turned the Flyers into a contender.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Yep, they're all doing great.

Good for Anaheim (though I still think they should've kept Pronger and opened up cap space elsewhere), but it's ridiculous to think that Philly would regret the deal, as the post I responded to insinuated. Pronger turned the Flyers into a contender.
They wont regret it now but in 4 or 5 years when they still have his cap hit and he is like 42, then it may be different.

If these 3 work out to their potentiel then the Ducks will be strong for the next 7 years.

Potentiel: (IMO I understand if you think my homer glasses are on)

Sbisa: Very physical ShutDown #2 (Sbisa-Fowler for the next 10 years )

Palmieri: Great 2-way top 6 forward with a nasty edge. Think Perry (in his scoring output and nasty side) before last year.

Etem: Great 2-way top 6 forward that will always give 100%. If he can continue to develop as a power forward and keep honing his skills around the net then he could be special.

Old
10-30-2011, 04:47 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
They wont regret it now but in 4 or 5 years when they still have his cap hit and he is like 42, then it may be different.
It may be. The undeniable reality right now, though, is that when Pronger went to Philly they went from a playoff also-ran to a contender, and Anaheim went from taking a stacked Red Wings team to 7 games in the 2nd round in 2009 to missing the playoffs in 2010, then getting bounced in the 1st round last year.

Quote:
Potentiel: (IMO I understand if you think my homer glasses are on)

Sbisa: Very physical ShutDown #2 (Sbisa-Fowler for the next 10 years )

Palmieri: Great 2-way top 6 forward with a nasty edge. Think Perry (in his scoring output and nasty side) before last year.

Etem: Great 2-way top 6 forward that will always give 100%. If he can continue to develop as a power forward and keep honing his skills around the net then he could be special.
If they pan out, maybe they can help the Ducks become as successful as they were with Pronger.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:40 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Maybe maybe, but if Sbisa, Palmieri and Etem reach their potential or anyway close to it, I'm very happy that Ducks did this trade. In fact, I wouldn't trade those guys now for healthy Pronger.
Yeah. Pronger hasn't been the same AT ALL since leaving Anaheim. Sorry to break it to Philly fans, but his game has entered a decline.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:02 AM
Takao
kesbae

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Yeah. Pronger hasn't been the same AT ALL since leaving Anaheim. Sorry to break it to Philly fans, but his game has entered a decline.
I really wish this wouldn't turn into one of those kind of threads.

I'm just glad Etem is playing amazing at the moment. With the second line gone next season it will great to see how kids like Etem, Palmieri, and Holland do in training camp.

Takao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:30 AM
nanzenkills

Quote:
Are you serious? He led Philly to the Stanley Cup Final 2 years ago and was the most dominant player for the Flyers in getting there. That's pretty impressive in my book.

As much as I like Scott Niedermayer for the organization, I would have preferred that they traded Niedermayer instead of Pronger, then and now.

nanzenkills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:12 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
Are you serious? He led Philly to the Stanley Cup Final 2 years ago and was the most dominant player for the Flyers in getting there. That's pretty impressive in my book.

As much as I like Scott Niedermayer for the organization, I would have preferred that they traded Niedermayer instead of Pronger, then and now.
I sort of agree with you about trading Niedermayer instead of Pronger depending what Ducks get for him. I'm guessing that we would have gotten somewhat similar package for him. It's quite interesting to think, what kind of team would we have if still had Pronger.

I understand why Pronger got traded instead of Niedermayer since he lead the Ducks to Stanley Cup and there's just no way that we trade Scott away. Every player is tradeable but still.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:40 PM
James Franco

I wasn't mocking Philly, I was merely expressing my gratitude for the prospects. I know how good Pronger is...

James Franco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:06 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Pronger singlehandedly carried the Flyers to the cup finals his first year there. He was at a PPG this year until his fluke injury and since he's been out the Flyers D has looked considerably worse. He's still a top 5 defenseman in the league, he just needs some luck on his side as far as injuries go.

IMO Etem and Palmieri are what will make or break the trade for Anaheim. Sbisa right now is an ok number 5 defenseman, IMO it looks like he'll top out as a number 3-4 defenseman, he lacks the hockey sense and decision making ability to ever be a top pairing guy. If Etem can turn into a 30 goal scorer at the NHL level, it definitely will help ease the loss of Pronger.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:11 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Pronger singlehandedly carried the Flyers to the cup finals his first year there. He was at a PPG this year until his fluke injury and since he's been out the Flyers D has looked considerably worse. He's still a top 5 defenseman in the league, he just needs some luck on his side as far as injuries go.
Singlehandedly? Uhhhhhhhm. Okay. Maybe I exaggerated a bit. But saying Pronger SINGLEHANDEDLY took the Flyers to the finals is a bit of a stretch. Pronger is going into a BIT of a decline IMO. Not saying he's disappeared into an abyss.

My reasoning for what I said (and please bear with me, I was in another time zone, tired as hell) is his game hasn't really matched the contract he's recently received. In my eyes (and I have been watching Pronger) he isn't the same guy we had here in Anaheim, and TO ME he simply doesn't look as good.

Old
10-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Could we please stick to Etem on this discussion? I could understand the Pronger evaluation to be a little more relvant had Etem been drafted at the time of the trade, but since the Flyers simply traded two 1st round picks, there isn't even that much of a chance he's the guy the Flyers would have liked most when making their pick. The trade didn't work out too bad for them, already, and thanks to seemingly good drafting it seems the picks are on their way to making it well worth it for the Ducks, too. All of it doesn't concern Etem too much.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:52 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Could we please stick to Etem on this discussion? I could understand the Pronger evaluation to be a little more relvant had Etem been drafted at the time of the trade, but since the Flyers simply traded two 1st round picks, there isn't even that much of a chance he's the guy the Flyers would have liked most when making their pick. The trade didn't work out too bad for them, already, and thanks to seemingly good drafting it seems the picks are on their way to making it well worth it for the Ducks, too. All of it doesn't concern Etem too much.
I agree. Sorry about that.

Back to Etem, I spent A LOT of time watching Medicine Hat highlights and Etem seems to be skating circles around the other teams he plays against. And he's always there everytime a goal is scored or a big chance comes up. He looks like he belongs in the AHL if not the NHL.

Getting Etem at 29 is almost as big a steal as Fowler at 12.

Old
10-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

For people who have seen him alot more then me, does he look any slower after bulking up this summer? He didn't look like it during preseason but what about after a larger sample size?

Old
10-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Paul4587

Quote:
Singlehandedly? Uhhhhhhhm. Okay. Maybe I exaggerated a bit. But saying Pronger SINGLEHANDEDLY took the Flyers to the finals is a bit of a stretch.
Singlehandedly was a blatant exaggeration but he was the favorite for the Smythe if the Flyers won.

Anyways, back to Etem. He's the exact type of player that the current CHL/NHL agreement is not appropriate for. Far too good for the WHL but not good enough to make the NHL team right out of camp. He would be far better off in the AHL where he can adjust to the professional game and be called up if his play warrants it.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:50 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Singlehandedly was a blatant exaggeration but he was the favorite for the Smythe if the Flyers won.

Anyways, back to Etem. He's the exact type of player that the current CHL/NHL agreement is not appropriate for. Far too good for the WHL but not good enough to make the NHL team right out of camp. He would be far better off in the AHL where he can adjust to the professional game and be called up if his play warrants it.
I agree wholeheartedly, but I can understand why the CHL does it. If the AHL was going to steal every huge producing future NHL star player asap, it would be bad for business. Or maybe it wouldn't be...I don't know.

I'd really love it if Etem was on the Crunch right now.

Old
11-01-2011, 12:51 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Quote:
For people who have seen him alot more then me, does he look any slower after bulking up this summer? He didn't look like it during preseason but what about after a larger sample size?
I don't think so.

It's always a concern, but if anything he looks like he's added leg strength.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:35 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I don't think so.

I'd actually maintain that he looks faster. He was one of the fastest players at camp. Probably faster than everyone but Dan Sexton and Andrew Cogliano.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:42 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I don't think so.

Quote:
I'd actually maintain that he looks faster. He was one of the fastest players at camp. Probably faster than everyone but Dan Sexton and Andrew Cogliano.
Ya he didnt look like he had lost a step during preseason and training camp, and I'm glad to hear he is still blazing fast. He has all the tools and the work ethic. I just hope he can maintain him hockey IQ for the highest level.

Old
11-01-2011, 03:11 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

Quote:
Ya he didnt look like he had lost a step during preseason and training camp, and I'm glad to hear he is still blazing fast. He has all the tools and the work ethic. I just hope he can maintain him hockey IQ for the highest level.
Go watch some Medicine Hat Tigers highlights. I know they alone don't tell the whole story, but he looks like an NHL star trapped in the wrong league out there.