HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach?

View Poll Results: Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach?
Yes 105 42.00%
No 145 58.00%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-30-2011, 06:05 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I still feel given the players we have he does not have the right system in place. With the proper system this team could be better.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I still feel given the players we have he does not have the right system in place. With the proper system this team could be better.
Considering this team has exceeded expectations these past two years, I have a hard time believing that.

As for the poll question, I don't like JM, but he's done a good job overall. So, can't quite answer it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:45 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Four games ago, there were people posting on this forum who had jumped on the Fire Martin bandwagon.

Three victories later, they are changing their mind. (you know who you are )

Me, I will be consistent. Martin is not the right coach for the talent we have in Montreal. He may get this team to the promised land (for most) of an 8th place finish but he will never get this team to win a Cup.

My opinion and I will always stick to my opinion and not become a bandwagoner based on a few games.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:51 PM
SherbrookeW

Obviously, no coach is either simply all good or all bad. Bill Belicheck was a disaster in Cleveland,etc. Coaches have some skills, lack others. Martin is an excellent pro coach with a comprehensive system that keeps his teams from having terrible ups and downs and that can pay off, with hot goaltending, against superior skill, as we saw two years ago. But his system is designed not to lose, rather than to win. Like all "small ball" coaches, there's not much he can do when he's faced with power -- whether long ball in baseball or heavy forechecking, high skill forwards in hockey. He shows no signs of being able to coach a team to a championship, rather than to just a steady level of competence, in part because he doesn't adjust his system to his talent. Scotty Bowman was a mean sob who ran a system, too -- but he recognized specific talents when they were presented, and used them : he didn't ask Lafleur or Larouche to back check. Martin's handling of Kostitsyn , et al has been just horrific, refusing to take one step back to take two forward. He prefers the Moens and Darches of the world because they're reliable, conscientious and do what they're told. But no one's ever won a Cup with only those kinds of payers.

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
Martin's handling of Kostitsyn , et al has been just horrific, refusing to take one step back to take two forward. He prefers the Moens and Darches of the world because they're reliable, conscientious and do what they're told. But no one's ever won a Cup with only those kinds of payers.
TOI/game:

Kostitsyn 15:23
Moen 14:01
Darche 11:14

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:59 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

just like most other coaches, he's a good coach as long as the players are still buying in.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:30 AM
Vsevolod Bobrov
Burn the boats !

I think Guy Boucher and the way we "lost him" has put a curse on a lot of future habs coaches. Habs can only hire a french speaking guy and I don't see too many who could do better with such a lousy team.

Basically we'll be complaining about coaches for a long time because I don't see the habs becoming cup contenders in the near future and that's the only we will ever be satisfied unless we hire back Boucher (and I don't see that happening). And even then, the coach of cup-contending team habs would probably have to go through some firewagons in case of losing stretches or early playoffs exit. But that's good, ripping on habs coaches is almost another national sport of ours and comes with the job.

Vsevolod Bobrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:34 AM
gusfring

Don't like him. Don't think his system works and we won't win with him here.

Would love to be proven wrong but I doubt it.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:46 AM
Stradale

Don't like him. Don't like his system. Don't like his attitude. Don't like how he handles our players. Don't like his face.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:53 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
Best coach we had since Jacques Demers.
hehe exactly what i said during the pre-season

but seriously, as a person, he almost is too perfect for montreal. he doesn't give a **** about the medias. and while his complete lack of emotion behind the bench riles me up occasionally, im smart enough to know that freaking out doesn't help the situation and besides, none of us knows what goes on in the locker room. this board is an accurate reflection on how emotional and bi-polar habs fan are in general, it's nice to see a coach that doesn't feed it further. and another plus for him is his experience.

he is far from perfect though: constant line juggling, always putting the veterans before the rookies no matter the circumstance, doesn't always seem to know what a timeout is for, and he has a dubious playoff record. but the results are there and that's all that matters to me. when the results are no longer there, then it's time to look for a new coach.

@ nittany: you don't think his system works? look at last year if you want to know if it works. you can say it's boring and i'll agree with you but saying it doesn't work is a bold-faced lie

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:08 AM
Toro

I dislike JM and wish Boucher could have stayed and replaced JM but now not sure who i would want to replace him except maybe Muller but he don't speak french so.....,

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:23 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I dislike JM and wish Boucher could have stayed and replaced JM but now not sure who i would want to replace him except maybe Muller but he don't speak french so.....,
he speaks broken french. knowing muller, if you gave him the job and told him he had to learn a bit of french, he'd do it in an instant. if ever martin gets canned, i want this guy back

MasterDecoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:58 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I like him because he reminds me of good ol Alf.
This, give me four. Lucky, you are not a cat, you are a bagel. Hahahaha thanks oyz, you made me laugh with this one.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:03 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

Four games ago, there were people posting on this forum who had jumped on the Fire Martin bandwagon.

Three victories later, they are changing their mind. (you know who you are )

Me, I will be consistent. Martin is not the right coach for the talent we have in Montreal. He may get this team to the promised land (for most) of an 8th place finish but he will never get this team to win a Cup.

My opinion and I will always stick to my opinion and not become a bandwagoner based on a few games.
I think you're wrong, there are hundreds of posters on this board, all with varying opinion, most who wanted Martin fired, still do, most who think he's a good coach, still do.

The troubling part is posters unable to change their view point even when faced with things that contradict their opinion. I, for one, have np admitting when my evaluations were off. Others would be better off if they could do the same. This isn't about being right or wrong, but about what is best for the habs.

To Andy, the Gionta contract is starting to look worse already imo. He'll likely get his 20-25 goals as he normally does, but this is where I expected this contract to get ugly, we'll see if I was right. If he continues to get 25-30 goals I'll have np admitting I was off.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:27 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 755
Option 3 --> indifferent

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:19 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I'm not going to take full credit for this, because someone else posted it already and I agree with the opinion entirely (I forget who it was who said it):

Jacques Martin joined the team and changed the team's style to fit his system. He plays a defensive style and he made every player change their game and I don't think that was the right thing to do. He could have kept his defensive system but he should have changed it around a bit to make use of our speedy forwards. A good coach analyses the team and makes them play a system which best fits their skills. We're a fast team that can't play like Boston or Philly does, we need to play to our strengths, not just to any system.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:49 AM
onice

What I'm going to say will sound contradictory but hear me out.

I've been a big fan of Martin. Yes, I thought he was a little too passive aggressive with his forecheck and he wasn't always the best developer of young talent (D'Agostini, Sergei, O'Byrne, Lats say thank God I'm gonna) but then every coach has his flaws and I was willing to put up with his.

But this year I was shocked to notice that he did not tweak the system even though the team was floundering. Then his buddy Pearns is fired and all of a sudden the team is playing a spirited, aggressive forecheck.

So what I suspect happened was one of two things:

1) Gauthier got his attention and although he's incapable of changing decided to listen to his two new assistant coaches and is implementing their system.

2) Since the Pearns firing Martin is in shock and is just a figurehead right now and Cunnyworth & Ladoucer are the ones calling the shots.

I know the difference between option 1 & 2 is subtle but my gut feeling leans towards 2. Since the firing I see Ladoucer & Cunnyworth making practically all the decisions and Martin completely cut off. Two examples to illustrate my point.

Before the firing Martin was the one who spoke to the players in the last minutes of the close games - going over defensive or offensive setups.

The last three games I didn't see him do that. It was either Cunnyworth or Ladoucer very active and very vocal on the bench,

So in a round about way I guess I'm saying that I believe Martin is incapable of changing which would make him a lame duck coach.

onice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

The one thing that I find truly funny is how much I hear about Martin and his defensive system.

How many people here actually watch the games this year? I see a lot of puck possession and timely passing. A whole lot of great chances created by controlling the play, something which I haven't seen the habs do in a long time. And to those who would say that Martin 'changed' his system because he was gonna get fired, well BBBzzzztt, wrong, cuz those plays were already there at the beginning of the season. Habs are one of the better puck possession teams and shooting teams in this early season. Oh yeah, Martin does have a defensive 'system', but the actual system is puck possession, and he's been saying that since the beginning but no one seems to listen. Now that he has more tools on offense, the results are becoming better than in the last two seasons.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:22 AM
Teufelsdreck

I'm not saying JM is the best coach since Scotty Bowman, but we've all seen worse--much worse--standing behind the Habs bench, haven't we?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:32 AM
ruski17

Nope. Hate his system and the management of players. Some of his moves are very questionable. That being said, he isn't a bad coach, but IMO he needs to win something in order for me to call him a great coach. Even if we win the cup 5 years in a row, I think I'll still dislike him as a coach for this team.

ruski17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:29 AM
Jigger77

13th in the League right now for Goals per game.
19th in goals against.

7th in the League for shots per game.
3rd overall in shots allowed.

Interesting for such a defensive team. Maybe opening up and playing a full on attack run and gun style against the Malkins, Ovechkins and Stamkos types will help this.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:36 AM
Joe Cole

I think he is a quality coach, but I do not like his system.

The system may win more than it loses but it is boring to watch, and that is what I do, watch the Canadiens.

One thing that has bothered me for some time is that the team is stocked with guys with no Montreal Canadiens heritage. Guys who have won with the Canadiens, as a player, coach, admisinstrator etc...

What we have had is way to many ex-Nordiques and their legacy of picking first overall...

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:23 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I don't hate the guy but I ain't his biggest fan either, sometimes I wish he was a bit more alive behind the bench, scream at the officials, show some emotions. Also I don't like the fact of him being old school, if the youngsters are playing better then the veterans well give them the ice time, you don't have to be nice to them. I find he is getting a bit better at this and rewarding the younger players with extra ice time

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Yes - because he is a serious hockey man and has experience implementing a system... and he keeps calm in a city of hotheads.

No - because too many decent players under perform under his watch (SKost, Latendresse, Lapierre, O'Byrne etc)

Few coaches are perfect.

It could be much much worse...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:03 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The one thing that I find truly funny is how much I hear about Martin and his defensive system.

How many people here actually watch the games this year? I see a lot of puck possession and timely passing. A whole lot of great chances created by controlling the play, something which I haven't seen the habs do in a long time. And to those who would say that Martin 'changed' his system because he was gonna get fired, well BBBzzzztt, wrong, cuz those plays were already there at the beginning of the season. Habs are one of the better puck possession teams and shooting teams in this early season. Oh yeah, Martin does have a defensive 'system', but the actual system is puck possession, and he's been saying that since the beginning but no one seems to listen. Now that he has more tools on offense, the results are becoming better than in the last two seasons.
Detroit is a puck possession team. So is Pittsburgh.

The Canadiens are a long way away from being called a puck possession team.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote