HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Did anybody catch what MKenzie said about Comrie after the Habs-Bruins game?

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 05:07 PM
Habitant

vCash: 500
Did anybody catch what MKenzie said about Comrie after the Habs-Bruins game?

I saw it but was on the phone.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:09 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I was watching 24 (or hadn't woke up yet, lol). Yes, n e body know what he said?

Old
10-28-2003, 05:11 PM
Jim_Harnock

I don't know what he said today, but last TSN game I watched, he said Comrie would end up in New York.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:25 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
I don't know what he said today, but last TSN game I watched, he said Comrie would end up in New York.
Won't happen. To many big money guys ahead of him right now. And Messier WILL NOT be sat by Slats - I can guarentee you that! Unless it was say a guy like Nedved coming back with most of his salary paid for. There isn't anything on the Rangers lineup that the Oilers would be interested in except for Tjutin and Lundmark - and a trade for them would contradict Lowes statements.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:36 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Won't happen. To many big money guys ahead of him right now. And Messier WILL NOT be sat by Slats - I can guarentee you that! Unless it was say a guy like Nedved coming back with most of his salary paid for. There isn't anything on the Rangers lineup that the Oilers would be interested in except for Tjutin and Lundmark - and a trade for them would contradict Lowes statements.
Nedved can play wing there and Ruchinsky really has no buisness being a top 6 guy on such a high budget team. I know Lowe would be willing to take a top of the line prospect like Coburn ,Tyutin is not that far off and Lowe has always liked Lundmark its a possibility everytime I hear that New York is the leading bid for Comrie and Atlanta is in the background, those two plus NJ Gomez deal which Lamoriello claims he has no interest are the most common ones I hear.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:54 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant
I saw it but was on the phone.
did McKenzie pre-state he was going to say something about Comrie? I heard Comrie was on Global just a little while ago didn't say much from what I heard more just reconfirming he won't be back playing with the Oil.
edit- tsn just a did little update on Comrie brief talk of Oiler economics and George said he attended the Oilers Halloween party. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=58654

Old
10-28-2003, 06:01 PM
edmontonoilers89

He said that the media people in Edmonton were hearing grumblings of him being traded and that it was just waiting to be announced.

He clarified that the rumour was false.

Old
10-28-2003, 09:56 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

what boggles my mind is this...

-Kevin Lowe stated that he would welcome Comrie back with open arms.
-Mike Comrie is saying that it's unfortunate a deal can't be worked out.
-Both sides have said that money isnt an issue.
-Rich Winter said that there's a zero percent chance of Coms returning to the Oilers.

Something just doesnt add up...

If KLO sais he wants Coms, and Coms sais that it sucks that a deal cant be worked out (insinuating that he wants to stay), then it just doesnt make sense to me. somebody is a really bad truth teller.

Sign a contract or learn how to lie properly.

Old
10-28-2003, 10:11 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Everything lately, the subtle clues and hints, the language leads me to truly believe that this is about......

money money money money, Muhhhh-nayyy!

Old
10-29-2003, 12:24 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
Everything lately, the subtle clues and hints, the language leads me to truly believe that this is about......

What i saw in a TSN (or SNet) interview 3 weeks ago really makes me believe Comrie doesnt want back, and that money is not the main issue.

They asked how the negotiations were going, he said he wouldnt comment. That's fine, and completely normal. The next question was (not verbatim) 'do you want to be an oiler' and again, he said 'i wont comment on that'. That struck me as really odd.

It's one thing not to comment on negotiations, its normal, but to decline comment about wether or not he wants to an Oiler? No way. Comparably, Havlat would never comment on talks, but stated emphatically that Ottawa was where he wanted to be and that he was hoping to be back with the team asap.

Maybe i'm looking too much into it, maybe he's stated on other occasions that he wants to be an Oiler and wants to be back with his team but i havent heard anything of the sort in any interviews. My two cents

Old
10-29-2003, 04:54 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
what boggles my mind is this...

-Kevin Lowe stated that he would welcome Comrie back with open arms.
-Mike Comrie is saying that it's unfortunate a deal can't be worked out.
-Both sides have said that money isnt an issue.
-Rich Winter said that there's a zero percent chance of Coms returning to the Oilers.

Something just doesnt add up...

If KLO sais he wants Coms, and Coms sais that it sucks that a deal cant be worked out (insinuating that he wants to stay), then it just doesnt make sense to me. somebody is a really bad truth teller.

Sign a contract or learn how to lie properly.
Although it is not me who had originally thought of this. I can't remember who did. Anyhow, it seems logical that the difference between the 2 sides is the coaching staff. (or maybe Joey peed in his gatorade bottle and everyone laughed at him) IMO the coaching staff belittled Comrie and his pathetic playoffs and perhaps even scolded him in front of his teamates.

Reasons for this theory:

1) MacTavish staged his own little holdout of sorts this summer stating that "philisophical" differences needed to be worked out. Could it be that K-Lowe had not yet made his descision on a possible ultimatum from either side. It may have been either Comrie goes or I go scenario.

2) Comrie won't talk about it. He doesn't want to be seen as a coach killer. That would also make him difficult to trade. Who wants that type of player on their team. Good reason to stay quiet.

3) Comrie was said to be at the team Halloween party. Something that the coaches do not attend. Yet he skipped the team golf tourney. Something the coaches DO attend.

My 2 cents. Its as plausable as any other theory out there. IMO

Obsessed.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:57 AM
IceDragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Ding! Ding!! Ding!!! Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!!!

( my opinion agrees with your opinion. it could happen. )

Anyone else notice that when MC is talking, he can't look at the camera or interviewer?

Old
10-29-2003, 05:12 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Although it is not me who had originally thought of this. I can't remember who did. Anyhow, it seems logical that the difference between the 2 sides is the coaching staff. (or maybe Joey peed in his gatorade bottle and everyone laughed at him) IMO the coaching staff belittled Comrie and his pathetic playoffs and perhaps even scolded him in front of his teamates.

Reasons for this theory:

1) MacTavish staged his own little holdout of sorts this summer stating that "philisophical" differences needed to be worked out. Could it be that K-Lowe had not yet made his descision on a possible ultimatum from either side. It may have been either Comrie goes or I go scenario.

2) Comrie won't talk about it. He doesn't want to be seen as a coach killer. That would also make him difficult to trade. Who wants that type of player on their team. Good reason to stay quiet.

3) Comrie was said to be at the team Halloween party. Something that the coaches do not attend. Yet he skipped the team golf tourney. Something the coaches DO attend.

Obsessed.
very astute... this is something that i think has been overlooked and, frankly, could be the main issue. very interesting indeed...

Old
10-29-2003, 05:18 AM
Mr Sakich

Obsessed, very ver interesting theory. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence to support this theory as well.

We may have a winner here.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:19 AM
copperandblue

The one hiccup in that theoryis that on Monday when Winter was being interviewed, he was asked point blank if the coach was the problem and Winter bluntly answered no.

He back peddled on most other questions but didn't seem to antsy in answering that one. It wasn't so much that he said no that was significant, it was the manner in which he answered that actually made me believe it.

Of course we have never seen an agent lie before so who knows.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:30 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
The one hiccup in that theoryis that on Monday when Winter was being interviewed, he was asked point blank if the coach was the problem and Winter bluntly answered no.

He back peddled on most other questions but didn't seem to antsy in answering that one. It wasn't so much that he said no that was significant, it was the manner in which he answered that actually made me believe it.

Of course we have never seen an agent lie before so who knows.

Could it be that, that was the question that hit closest to home. Thats why thet blunt answer of NO?

Old
10-29-2003, 05:39 AM
T$$$

vCash:
Quote:

Reasons for this theory:

Obsessed.
That's one hell of a thought! I agree with that theory, everything adds up to that.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:13 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Could it be that, that was the question that hit closest to home. Thats why thet blunt answer of NO?

Absolutely that is possible, I was just throwing it out there for thought.

One other point, last night on Sportsnet they did a clip on Marchant returning to Edmonton and in the clip it was said that Marchtant still kept in touch with some people on the Oilers and specifically it was reported that he has talked to Comrie with, among other things, his hold out/contract dispute/tantrum or what ever it turns out to be.

Today in the Sun it quotes Marchant as saying that Comrie feels he is worth X and the Oilers feel he is worth Y, doesn't that take us back to money as being the issue?

There is no gag order on Marchant, nor is he really likely to realize just how much of a monster this story has become in Edmonton, is it possible he had a slip of the tongue and said something that he wasn't suppose to?

Old
10-29-2003, 06:54 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Ya, I wouldn't at all be suprised if in the offseason MacT said that Lowe needed to emphasize to Comrie he needs to play defense. Perhaps Lowe tried that and Comrie really took offense with the "don't tell me how to play my game, it's fine" sort of thing. I don't know - but it wouldn't suprise me!

Old
10-29-2003, 01:01 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
There is no gag order on Marchant, nor is he really likely to realize just how much of a monster this story has become in Edmonton, is it possible he had a slip of the tongue and said something that he wasn't suppose to?
Marchant played what, 7 years in Edmonton? He's not stupid. He HAS to know how big of a story it would be - he saw what happened with Smyth, Weight, and Poti, if nothing else.

Judging by some of the comments flung around by management and Marchant during the summer, it would not surprise me if T-bone was just slipping the ice pick in a bit deeper.

Old
10-29-2003, 01:01 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

My current super-simplification of the situation:

MC or Rich Winter, depending on who's really calling the shots:
I'm a first-line center! I want first line dollars! You're offering me less than a 4th line winger!

Kevin Lowe:
You have no leverage. You are not a first line center, I have Shawn Horcoff (HAHAHA!). I'll pay you what I see fit. I don't see you as being as essential to this team as you do.

The truth lies somewhere between. Comrie IS this team's first line center, but he isn't a first-line center per-say. He is however, at worst, a high end 2nd line center, and should be paid accordingly. Lowe won't offer that kind of money, so either Comrie feels disrespected (and frankly I wouldn't blame him) or Winter is telling him that kind of money is an insult. Because of this, the whole situation has become a personal battle that is only hurting the team. I really believe that Mike doesn't feel the Oilers want him back for whatever reason, specifically that Kevin Lowe and Craig MacTavish don't, which is very unfortunate. Lowe seems to either believe this team doesn't need Comrie, or thinks it's more important to make some sort of strange point in negotiations. He also seems to think he can get decent trade value, which he may or may not, but I believe it can be seen here that it doesn't look good.

All speculation of course, and I sincerely hope this is all still posturing in negotiations, and that there will be a signing when no one suspects it as happens so often. Unless of course we're acquiring Gaborik from Minnesota by some miracle.

Closed Thread