HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#11 Kings @ Avalanche 10/30/11 - POST GAME LOSS THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-30-2011, 10:58 PM
bobafettish*

vCash: 500
so the avalanche generated 3 penalties on like 5 shots lol

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:05 PM
bland

The Kings lost nearly all of the board battles - they would chip it in, lose a battle, chip it in again, lose another battle. Only the Stoll line could win two battles in a row, and they were the only players who could sustain the forecheck. The rest of the team was just hoping one play after the other, and the Avs did a great job of staying in the passing and shooting lanes.

The result was fitting - the Av's outhustled the Kings and did more with their chances.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kings didn't deserve to win tonight. Kings had more shots, but the Avs attacked the middle and the Kings kept it to the outside. Shots /= wins.

Kings now 1-3-1 when out shooting their opponent.

Kings need a strong home stand. Three days off and they have a lot of work to do.

Quick has now given up 3 goals per game since he was "rested".

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Kings need to start finishing their chances. I think they're creating enough of them that you can't blame it on anything but the players simply not finishing.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:43 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Kings need to start finishing their chances. I think they're creating enough of them that you can't blame it on anything but the players simply not finishing.
the only guy that can really finish is our most injury prone.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:45 PM
Whiskeypete

long winded one in bound......

the Avs weren't lucky. they outplayed and outhustled LA all night. i was there and saw first hand just how apathetic they played. others are correct when it comes to the board battles, COL outworked LA all night on the boards. someday Murray will learn before it's to late that when your team is losing the dump-n-chase board battles, that perhaps it's time for a different strategy. the ultimate sign of futility is continuing to do the same thing over and over when it isnt working.....because that ONE time it works out of X times.

problem here though as we know is that Murray doesn't have another strategy and has this team so locked down in his system they don't do anything else. its either dump-n-chase or a 2-man strong side push with maybe a crossing pass for a tip-in. problem is the other 29 teams in the league know this and play for it.

i always sit on the goal ends of an arena so i can see the flow, angles and pursuit. same as if you are playing. LA is entirely a N-S team with almost no side to side directional change. either skating or passes that will stretch a defense, pull it out of position and ultimately stretch it so it results in a goal or a penalty. tonight they were straight up and down all night. pretty damn easy to defend when you know nothing is coming on your backside, so you focus all your attention on what's in front of you.

the Richards line looks better since they put Parse on it. then again we are talking about him replacing Penner. at this point the trade for Penner may go down as the worse in Kings history. for 60-minutes he looked like he was going through the motions of playing. anytime he contributed was from being able to take advantage of his size/strength, but at the same time not take over the situation simply because he wanted to win/score/kick ass. the guy is a *** loaf. the sooner they get rid of him the better. with his size and strength he should be able to take over a game in the corners and low slot area, but instead opponents make him look like a lumbering oaf of a man. DL will be lucky to get more than a 4th rounder for him at the deadline. trade him, look for an option elsewhere, give a MAN kid a chance. put someone in the line-up that wants to be out there, someone that will hustle.

DD again looked to be trying to do to much. hell at least he was looking to take charge, unlike most of the guys. all night long, no matter where whoever had the puck held it to long, looked to long. blame it on the back to back?

i say no no, because the same thing happens every game. they are so entirely locked-in on what Murray wants when it comes to up ice attack and positioning it just slows them down. instead of attacking and creating an opportunity all i saw tonight was the puck carrier looking for someone to pass to that was moving up ice with speed. the problem here is that no one was cycling and generating up ice speed after the initial pass. once the pass was completed they immediately went back into cruise mode and look for a pass. not one guy all night seriously took the initiative, put down his shoulder, skated his ass off. to me it looked like a mens adult league playing at 11PM after working all day. everyone looks for someone else to hustle.

back to Parse. the Richards line is looking better with him, but can he take anymore stupid penalties. he picked up tonight where he left off last night. he is showing more skill and opening space than Penner does. at the same time i want to award him and Lewis with the 'easiest LA Kings to knock on there ass' award. outside ofreativ Kopi and Richards, i think Parse has shown the most creativity of any forward.

Pepsi Center....very nice rink. nice amenities. i was really surprised by the low turnout. not sure if it was because of the Broncos game, Halloween tomorrow, or what the cause. the entire upper bowl (300s) was at most 30% filled. i bought a $96 face value ticket for $35 in section 216. very low key crowd, VERY quiet. actually makes Staples seem loud.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:07 AM
SLang

I wonder when I'll see the next Kings game on my own TV. November? December? 2012?

Signed, a Directv subscriber....

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:15 AM
KingPuckChoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
The curse of Slava
I see it as the curse of Doughty

KingPuckChoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:31 AM
kingsfan28
Viva Los Cucarachas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
I wonder when I'll see the next Kings game on my own TV. November? December? 2012?

Signed, a Directv subscriber....
Oh crap, that's right.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:11 AM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

Yep, this was my last Kings game on my TV. Why can't DTV and Fox agree to a long-term deal? They had similar problems just a couple of years ago and that deal already expired this year?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:34 AM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
Yep, this was my last Kings game on my TV. Why can't DTV and Fox agree to a long-term deal? They had similar problems just a couple of years ago and that deal already expired this year?
Id be suprised if they havent reached a deal within the next two weeks. DirectTV is not the only one that is going to be hurt by this. Fox is going to be losing a lot of money on this too (greed can cost people a lot of money). So i dont think we are going to see an extended holdout.

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:55 AM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Dustin Brown made a lot of idiotic plays tonight. Can we waive Penner? I love the Kings, but there are some players that just don't belong on this team if we want to be contenders.

Clifford has regressed... not good.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:16 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

What can they possibly do to get Penner going...

Kings also failed to score at even strength. They dictated the play for most of the game and limited Colorado's scoring opportunities and shots on goal, but they simply couldn't get the job done when they had possession of the puck.

Sometimes I think this team is full of passengers with a few players who can take charge (Kopitar and Richards being the two who stand out in that area).

It also appears that Dustin Brown is very hesitant to play the body these days. He is certainly not as physical as he once was.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:02 AM
jml87

I've had to watch on my computer since I've been away and it has been a nightmare. The constant buffering and skipping made the game unwatchable tonight. I actually stopped watching at the beginning of the 3rd. I usually can watch baseball games on my computer with no problem, don't know what the difference is.

I feel sorry for anyone who has to do this constantly and can't watch it on TV.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:15 AM
kingscup
MBML

Send a message via AIM to kingscup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
What can they possibly do to get Penner going...

Kings also failed to score at even strength. They dictated the play for most of the game and limited Colorado's scoring opportunities and shots on goal, but they simply couldn't get the job done when they had possession of the puck.

Sometimes I think this team is full of passengers with a few players who can take charge (Kopitar and Richards being the two who stand out in that area).

It also appears that Dustin Brown is very hesitant to play the body these days. He is certainly not as physical as he once was.
If we could only have that Brown back. I love that he chips in offensively, or at least tries to chip in offensively, but I wish he would simplify his game back to that physical player he once was.

kingscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:17 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
If you don't score as many goals as your opponent, you DESERVE to lose
let me fix this for ya. If you dont score as many goals as your opponent, you *WILL lose... who ever played harder deserves the win.

gtwyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:31 AM
Seventyx7
Carter Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
If we could only have that Brown back. I love that he chips in offensively, or at least tries to chip in offensively, but I wish he would simplify his game back to that physical player he once was.

I miss that Dustin. I think he's been playing much better after a rough start to the season, but I would love to see him change games with his physical play like he used to.

Seventyx7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:33 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Not funny. Not helpfull.

you mad??.... yeah you mad

Old
10-31-2011, 03:36 AM
HookKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
The Kings lost nearly all of the board battles - they would chip it in, lose a battle, chip it in again, lose another battle. Only the Stoll line could win two battles in a row, and they were the only players who could sustain the forecheck. The rest of the team was just hoping one play after the other, and the Avs did a great job of staying in the passing and shooting lanes.

The result was fitting - the Av's outhustled the Kings and did more with their chances.
Yep. The forecheck has been pretty bad all year. Penner can't keep the puck to save his life.

HookKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:47 AM
bobafettish*

who would have thought we would need a top 6 RW instead of a LW

Old
10-31-2011, 03:48 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

I think I'd rather have a plug-in guy like Asham or Jannsen in there now than Clifford.

I Am Ziggy Palffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:52 AM
gtwyc
L.A. Kings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post

hes producing offensively, if he wasnt i'd be worried cause we would have another dustin penner in the line up. maybe the new teammates and gagne movin up penns movin down and parse gettin some top six time throwin him off?
at least hes scoring pts 9 so far. 3rd in pts on the kings. i think once he starts struggling offensively or when the kings in general start struggling as a team, he turns hits mode [on] off.

i think its just a matter of time before he turns it on physically. its really all he knows, thats just who he is as a hockey player. like i said maybe once he struggles he just goes out there to do some bangin around and rediscover his game, all while puttin up some good offensive numbers. it should all work itself out!

Old
10-31-2011, 04:12 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Two skaters on the bottom six that I thought played well today were Richardson and Moreau. I like the physicality Moreau brings while also helping out on the defensive end, laying his body out to block shots. Reminds me of a heart and soul type player the Kings have been missing on their fourth line since Kelly Buchberger.

I think Clifford is getting adjusted to the expectation for him to do more than just surprise teams like he did last season with his play. His center last season was Handzus, this season its been Stoll or Lewis. They aren't the type who can control the puck down low as well as Handzus did. He needs to be more assertive, like he was last season. His sophomore season is following a similar pattern to what we saw with Simmonds, impressive rookie year followed by an up-and-down sophomore season.

As for Stoll, try as he might, he just isn't helping the team enough to win games. I'd like to see him try to setup plays, but I don't think he's capable of doing so. Hopefully he's just keeping a spot warm for Loktionov because I could see him excelling as a productive two-way center with remarkable playmaking abilities, similar to his mentor, Igor Larionov.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:22 AM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I like how all of you are panicking even though we clearly outplayed the Avs and got screwed by "puck luck" in the grandest sense.

Also like how you all are finally coming to terms with Brown being less effective than ever. The dude does literally nothing anymore except do weird ass dekes. But tonight he had a good game. Scott Parse also looks like a keeper. I thought the lines all played well and showed good chemistry, but when O'Byrne smoked a player (Stoll I think) that clearly changed the momentum of the game.

This reminded me of Kings games back in the past where we were getting swatted by a superior team but the puck kept coming to us and we ended up winning.

Everyone on defense looked good, Penner had his moments, there is no one really to blame this loss on.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:02 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by butteryslugz View Post
let me fix this for ya. If you dont score as many goals as your opponent, you *WILL lose... who ever played harder deserves the win.
Well I dont think the Kings played harder, they did deserve this game though.

I like it how some people come up with so many things that werent good. Sure I can come up with some too. That will always be the case. If with that win againt St.Louis (5-0) but somehow than we play a perfect game. Well they didnt.

Fact remains, I never ever had the feeling the Kings would lose this game. If the Avs entered the offensive zone, big deal. The Kings might have lost a lot of battles along the boards. They had enough chances, more puckpossesion and you could clearly see they have a much better team than the Avs.

Against Phoenix it was the same, both the Avs and Phoenix seem to have to scored on all chanced they got. Heck, some goals werent even a chance !

If the Kings play against the Avs 10 times, they will win 8. If they keep playing like this, there's nothing to worry about.

disclaimer: of course there are things they could improve on.

Frolov 6'3 is online now   Reply With Quote