HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Boyle

Old
10-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
I guess 10 games in without a goal is a little discouraging...I don't think it was a fluke, unless it was a fluke that he played to his potential.
He has a goal...he's on pace for about 10 which would be no tragedy.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
He isn't a 20 goal scorer.

I think in a 3rd line role he'll give us 10-15.

Lost in the numbers is that he has been a part of a very good PK pairing for us. He has not had the greatest start to the season but i think the same can be said for a lot of our players.

His contract is not bad for what he brings.

10-30-2011, 09:15 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
I guess 10 games in without a goal is a little discouraging...I don't think it was a fluke, unless it was a fluke that he played to his potential.
He scored against Vancouver.

And I really don't know what people were expecting, but he a perfectly servicable 3rd-4th line Center. Hitting 20 again is unlikely, but he is above average to good on faceoffs, plays physical, PKs, and is good in the room. We can't have 50 point guys up and down the lineup.

10-30-2011, 09:22 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Boyle has looked fine to me. Feds-Boyle-Prust still seem to have more time in the offensive zone than most other lines. Boyle can kill penalties and there's a chance he becomes useful on the powerplay in front (he's shown a flash here and there). Not sure why we need to go one by one and nitpick about performances. They're just not playing that great as a team. Give it time.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:23 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

And I really don't know what people were expecting, but he a perfectly servicable 3rd-4th line Center. Hitting 20 again is unlikely, but he is above average to good on faceoffs, plays physical, PKs, and is good in the room. We can't have 50 point guys up and down the lineup.
thank you.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:28 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Boyle has looked fine to me. Feds-Boyle-Prust still seem to have more time in the offensive zone than most other lines. Boyle can kill penalties and there's a chance he becomes useful on the powerplay in front (he's shown a flash here and there). Not sure why we need to go one by one and nitpick about performances. They're just not playing that great as a team. Give it time.
Good post.It's a decent line, but not a good one. We won't pass Washington with that line.
IMO- his performance and physical attributes only indicate that he could be more useful with the top talent.
He's definitely a good PKer too.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:29 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Exactly. He started off red hot, but in reality, he was just getting some lucky bounces. You said he put forth the extra effort knowing he was headed for contract expiration. Did he only put forth that effort for the first 30 games of last year, then say **** it? No, he was just extremely fortunate to pile up the goals the way he did to start the year. He's the same player now that he was at the beginning of last season.

It sounded to me as if you were implying that he was somehow playing less hard or putting forth less effort now that he earned a new contract. If I misinterpreted, sorry. My response was to say that no, he's playing just as hard and putting in just as much effort as he was to start last year when he was producing.
Quote:
The Brian Boyle-Brandon Prust duo has not replicated its grinding game. The Rangers have not controlled the dirty areas of the ice. The Rangers have very little at this point on which to fall back on, very little positive reinforcement.

Almost zero.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1cJydXY7Y
Sounds to me that Good Ole Brooksie disagrees with your sentiments.

Boyle put forth the effort in the offseason by getting into the best shape ever, shedding weight, working on his release and of course, working on his skating. That was all done in the offseason.

He came into camp in tremendous shape in 2011, and it showed over the 1st three months of the season.

Are you seriously telling me that athletes don't put forth an extra effort when they know longer hours in the gym/rink/video room can be the deciding factor in turning a one-year contract that's 500,000 bucks into a multi-year, multi-million dollar deal?

I hate to break it to you, but there are people in life who coast until a cant-miss opportunity is in front of them. If a single, 500-pound slob who never showers is told he's going on a blind date in a month, he's going to shower, get new clothes and probably hit the gym.

Gotta go with Brooks on this one: I just dont see the effort from Boyle that we saw last October, and it has nothing to do with scoring.

Last season, Boyle played under 10 mins in four of his 1st nine games, and over those nine games he averaged about 11 mins a game of ice time. Yet he managed to get 17 shots on goal.

In 2012, he's averaging 14 mins a game though the first nine, but only has 11 shots on goal.

Hard work generates scoring chances. Boyle is a center, and he's getting less chances despite more ice time.

There's no way to ever prove that Athletes coast after getting their money. the only ones who know are the actual players themselves, and maybe the coaching staff.

All I know is that Boyle sucks, he was better last year, and I'm betting my money that he has a career year (again)in 2013-14

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:31 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:

Many of the best lines have featured 50 point people like those mentioned.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:58 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I think he'll still suck at Game 30. At least offensively
Well, it's expected, in my opinion. At least it should be... He's a true 4th liner. That was a career year last year. He might do it again. Might not. All we can do is wait and see.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
We should have traded him when we had a chance. No idea why we didn't sell high.

Bird Law is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:04 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Are you seriously telling me that athletes don't put forth an extra effort when they know longer hours in the gym/rink/video room can be the deciding factor in turning a one-year contract that's 500,000 bucks into a multi-year, multi-million dollar deal?

I hate to break it to you, but there are people in life who coast until a cant-miss opportunity is in front of them. If a single, 500-pound slob who never showers is told he's going on a blind date in a month, he's going to shower, get new clothes and probably hit the gym.
Uh, no. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that Boyle--and his effort--looks the same to me now as he did at the start of last season. But thanks for the enlightenment.

Quote:
Gotta go with Brooks on this one: I just dont see the effort from Boyle that we saw last October, and it has nothing to do with scoring.
Have to agree to disagree I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
We should have traded him when we had a chance. No idea why we didn't sell high.
Agreed.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Good 4th line player who brings hard work, a physical presence, and leadership to the locker room.

But he's never going to score 20 goals again.

Agree but he really doesn't have to in order to be successful. If he gets 10-12 goals along with Prust the same, that would be great production from any 4th line

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:10 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Agreed.
It's infuriating. I was calling all summer to move him (along with you and a few others) and everyone was like NO HES SO GOOD AND BIG. I mean, who didn't see this coming (besides Sather)?

Old
10-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I wrote about this during the summer. It was very obvious to anyone who watched the first half of last season that Boyle got lucky a bunch of times when he merely tossed the puck at the net.

The two things he was missing was hitting hard (as opposed to shoving) and learning to shoot the puck instead of tossing it.

It seems like he hits better this year, but his shot is still not on par. I predicted during the summer that if he does not work on his shot, he won't score and quickly gets frustrated. I suspect that will happen fairly soon.

Boyle is probably better off focusing on defense and hitting this year, then working his trail off learning to shoot in the, summer. Or if he wants to speed things up, he can stay after everyone for an extra hour of shooting practice.

Either way, he will need a lot of work on his shot if he wants to be a true 20 goal scorer. Its not impossible, but only if he works very hard.

More likely, he is in for a tough year.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:16 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
He isn't a 20 goal scorer.

I think in a 3rd line role he'll give us 10-15.

Lost in the numbers is that he has been a part of a very good PK pairing for us. He has not had the greatest start to the season but i think the same can be said for a lot of our players.

His contract is not bad for what he brings.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Exactly. He's likely not going to be a 20+ goal scorer in his career. But he's an above average player in his role and his contract is very good for what he brings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Having said the above, I'd absolutely have no problem trading him. Was there ever a confirmed offer for him?

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:44 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Who knows? Most times an offer leaks is only when a deal fell through at the last minute. You'd never know about 90% of the offers around the league (maybe more like 99%).

Old
10-30-2011, 10:59 PM
ilovemarkmessier

I expect 25 Goals he puts the puck on net almost every time. Talk to me at the end of the year. Boyle for President!!

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:42 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
I expect 25 Goals he puts the puck on net almost every time. Talk to me at the end of the year. Boyle for President!!
Oh...

...kay.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:48 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I find it odd that Torts was so quick to move Dubinsky to wing but hasn't tried it with Boyle.

He's a slow, lumbering, big-bodied grinder. Throw him on Richards' wing for a game or two and see what happens.

John Leclair's first four years were pretty uneventful (minus some big goals in the 1993 Cup run). He was a big scorer in college, but didnt become a star until he was (basically) a throw-in in the Recchi trade. They paired him with Lindros, and the Legion of Doom was born.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:43 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

At present, Boyle has more goals than Anisimov, Wolski, Dubinsky, and Christensen, for starters.

The hell is wrong with people? Is everyone so eager to say "this team is ****awful and i'm calling it first" just so they can say i told you so?

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:45 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
...look, level headed is good.
Optimistic is even better.

This? This is something else.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:46 AM
Kane One
Global Moderator
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3075
Quote:
I'll bet $50 he doesn't score 25.

10-31-2011, 06:54 AM
Bardof425*

If Boyle and Prust are on your third line and not your 4th line, you depth up front is weak and you are not likely to be a good offensive team.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I find it odd that Torts was so quick to move Dubinsky to wing but hasn't tried it with Boyle.

He's a slow, lumbering, big-bodied grinder. Throw him on Richards' wing for a game or two and see what happens.

John Leclair's first four years were pretty uneventful (minus some big goals in the 1993 Cup run). He was a big scorer in college, but didnt become a star until he was (basically) a throw-in in the Recchi trade. They paired him with Lindros, and the Legion of Doom was born.
I agree. He should be tried at LW. His offensive skill set fits better there.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:45 AM
HAPPY HOUR

He looks a half step slower this year.

He can't get in on the dump ins fast enough, and is being out maneuvered along the wall by quicker d-men.

Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 10-31-2011 at 02:47 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote