HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

what is our biggest need ?

Old
10-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Maxpac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Number 1 Centre for sure. With the 7m in space if we had Brad Richards (for instance) this team would be a perennial contender.
Our biggest strength this season is our center line. Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller are doing a heck of a job, so getting a center is the least of our problems!

Judging only by last Saturday's game, get Darche out of there and put a real 4th liner in his place, it would do worlds of good for this team.

Other then that I got nothing. Our top 3 lines are good (thank god for no Gomez) and so are our D, minus a big physical one.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:42 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Our biggest strength this season is our center line. Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller are doing a heck of a job, so getting a center is the least of our problems!

Judging only by last Saturday's game, get Darche out of there and put a real 4th liner in his place, it would do worlds of good for this team.

Other then that I got nothing. Our top 3 lines are good (thank god for no Gomez) and so are our D, minus a big physical one.
Agreed, we need someone better... I'd be happy with another Moen type, hits, play well 5 on 5, can play the PK, will fight once in a while to protect teammates...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:41 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Agreed, we need someone better... I'd be happy with another Moen type, hits, play well 5 on 5, can play the PK, will fight once in a while to protect teammates...
I'd be very happy with another Moen type, too.
We need Moen to have a full tank (fresh/healthy) for playoffs...right now he's using up a lot of gas,imo, and needs some help.

I also wish we kept Dominic Moore but not the end of the world.

Ryan White...

I'm hoping White can come back as soon as possible (no rush though).

Also...if only there was a way we could steak Byfuglien from Winnipeg!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-31-2011 at 01:58 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:50 AM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Just wondering what will be our biggest need when Markov will return ?

Paciorrety-gomez-Gionta
Cam-plekanec-Cole
DD-Eller-AK
Moen-Nokelainen-Darche
Blunden/White

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Subban
Gill-Weber
Diaz/Campolie/Emelin

Price
Budaj

top 6 foward ? Top 4 defensman, 3rd/4th liner ? more depth ? center ? goaltending ?
Two words: Chris Pronger. You do that we make the Finals in the next 2-3 years.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:58 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post

A top-line centre like Getzlaf or Brad Richards would take this team from 10-4th in the east to perennial cup contender. Plekanec hasn't broken 71 pts ever in his career.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:04 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
SOB D-Men.
Shane O'Brien would be a nice addition, he just manhandled the Kings forwards last night, no one would think about running over Price with him around.

I think that someone like Berglund could help this team a lot, he's just the type of center Habs are missing right now.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:13 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I'd get rid of Gomez, keep what we have, and get a winger with some grit, defensive awareness and a bit of a scoring touch for Eller & Kostitsyn.

That's what I'd personally do. Someone like a Sean Bergenheim. A guy around the 30-40 point range would be nice and who can play some PK when needed.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Cammalleri - Desharnais - Cole
Bergeinheim - Eller - Kostitsyn
Moen - Nokelainen - Darche
EX - White

PLAYING: Markov, Gorges, Subban, Weber, Spacek.
#6/#7/#8: Gill, Campoli, Emelin
MINORS: Diaz*

* Would be in my top-8, easily, if we could make a trade to move Gill or Campoli. Or Spacek, I guess, even though he's been great. Otherwise, he's the only one that can really be sent down.

Last edited by One Man Rock Band: 10-31-2011 at 04:35 AM.
One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:35 AM
habsjunkie2*

Any big centers available next UFA period? I would dump gomez in the off season, ahl, trade or buyout.

Pitch hard for the best UFA dman available, Ryan Suter. With Gomez off the books, we could throw large amounts of cash at him.

This year, we need a solid stay at home number 3 dman in place of Diaz and a true 4th line replacement for Blunden.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:44 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Any big centers available next UFA period? I would dump gomez in the off season, ahl, trade or buyout.

Pitch hard for the best UFA dman available, Ryan Suter. With Gomez off the books, we could throw large amounts of cash at him.

This year, we need a solid stay at home number 3 dman in place of Diaz and a true 4th line replacement for Blunden.
We have a 4th liner, Travis Moen. I'd rather have a 3rd line replacement.

We also wouldn't have to much free money if we bought-out Gomez. Just saying.

Old
10-31-2011, 04:56 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
I know a perfect guy for MTL, but sadly for them his team won't let him go, here's his picture:

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:08 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
We have a 4th liner, Travis Moen. I'd rather have a 3rd line replacement.

We also wouldn't have to much free money if we bought-out Gomez. Just saying.
Next off season, we may, if there is a handshake agreement in between CBA's. I think Gomez is a hab for this year and I think it's in the best interest of the Canadiens, but as soon as the season is done, I hope PG gets rid of him.

Eller should have cemented himself as the number 2 by then. I'm reluctant to judge Eller over a handful of games where he is playing extremely well and auto give him number 2 center duties for the rest of this year. I think it would be a big mistake. I think he's capable, but I'd prefer the slow, steady approach to his development.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:21 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Sens have won 6 in a row, and have Konopka and Neil sitting on top of the NHL pim lead.

I want D Clarkson please !!

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:03 AM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Tough hard nosed BIG Dman

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:17 AM
TheRedKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf1n1te View Post
Someone who's not afraid to drop the gloves, but can play hockey.

Moen is one of those, but he needs help. Someone a la Chris Neil for example.
Exactly my thoughts. I was hoping Ottawa would tank and would then have a reason to trade him...
Also a big stay at home defenseman would be nice.

TheRedKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:56 AM
Miller Time

1 player... any player...

elite centre or elite physical dman

replace Gomez with a Crosby/Malkin/Sedin/Backstrom/Tavares/Kopitar etc, and we are a cup contender.

or

replace Gill with a Chara/Pronger/EJ/Suter/Phaneuf/Souray etc and we are a cup contender.

and not to beat a dead horse, but replace Gomez with McDo, and this team is damn close to being a cup contender.

but with none of those options remotely realistic, if we were to add one player that would make a significant difference to our lineup, I'd go with either a top-9 physical winger, or a 3-4-5 physical dman.

Clarckson, Neil, Ott...
Souray, REgher, Gleason...

a player who can defend his teammates, physicaly impose on opposition, and play regular minutes.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:58 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Next off season, we may, if there is a handshake agreement in between CBA's. I think Gomez is a hab for this year and I think it's in the best interest of the Canadiens, but as soon as the season is done, I hope PG gets rid of him.

Eller should have cemented himself as the number 2 by then. I'm reluctant to judge Eller over a handful of games where he is playing extremely well and auto give him number 2 center duties for the rest of this year. I think it would be a big mistake. I think he's capable, but I'd prefer the slow, steady approach to his development.
Even if Eller isn't completely ready, a tandem of Eller and DD is better than having Gomez.

DD is pace to shatter Gomez's scoring last season. Eller is on pace for 27-points, DD is on pace for 52-points. I think both numbers are obviously off a little, but if the circumstances stay the same, I could see DD potting 40 and Eller getting about 35.

Again, that's not ideal second line numbers but 1) they are both young and those would be considered good seasons, hopefully ones they could improve upon shortly after. and 2) Even if Gomez got 45-points, he doesn't have the same compete level as either DD or Eller.

Old
10-31-2011, 08:15 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Right now what we need is to sit pat and see how some of the younglings evolve. We need to see what Markov will be able to do and if he can stay healthy. In the meantime, Habs have quite enough tools to march on into the first half of the season and take their share of points. Then we'll see.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:35 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Even if Eller isn't completely ready, a tandem of Eller and DD is better than having Gomez.

DD is pace to shatter Gomez's scoring last season. Eller is on pace for 27-points, DD is on pace for 52-points. I think both numbers are obviously off a little, but if the circumstances stay the same, I could see DD potting 40 and Eller getting about 35.

Again, that's not ideal second line numbers but 1) they are both young and those would be considered good seasons, hopefully ones they could improve upon shortly after. and 2) Even if Gomez got 45-points, he doesn't have the same compete level as either DD or Eller.
Not something to be proud of !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:46 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Just wondering what will be our biggest need when Markov will return ?

Paciorrety-gomez-Gionta
Cam-plekanec-Cole
DD-Eller-AK
Moen-Nokelainen-Darche
Blunden/White

Markov-Gorges
Spacek-Subban
Gill-Weber
Diaz/Campolie/Emelin

Price
Budaj

top 6 foward ? Top 4 defensman, 3rd/4th liner ? more depth ? center ? goaltending ?
Next year?

1. Big, bruising and fast 40 point center to play 3rd line and platoon on lines 1 and 2. Eller goes to line 2, Gomer goes to Alaska. DD gets dropped or plays wing. Sorry guys I love DD but that's what we need to do. Leblanc is not ready yet so don't suggest it.

2. Nasty BIG 4th line winger who'll drop em. Shultz is not ready yet, and Blunden is not that guy.

3. Crushing BIG top 4 D to protect Marky, Price and the net. Tinordi is not ready either so don't bother suggesting it.

That's all.

I put it to you guys, who are the best candidates next year for those three positions?

Call ups, UFA and realistic trades only please.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Next year?

1. Big, bruising and fast 40 point center to play 3rd line and platoon on lines 1 and 2. Eller goes to line 2, Gomer goes to Alaska. DD gets dropped or plays wing. Sorry guys I love DD but that's what we need to do. Leblanc is not ready yet so don't suggest it.

2. Nasty BIG 4th line winger who'll drop em. Shultz is not ready yet, and Blunden is not that guy.

3. Crushing BIG top 4 D to protect Marky, Price and the net. Tinordi is not ready either so don't bother suggesting it.

That's all.

I put it to you guys, who are the best candidates next year for those three positions?

Call ups, UFA and realistic trades only please
Pierre Gauthier, you lazy bum, stop trying to make us do your leg work

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:54 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yes, I am, in fact PG. Meant to add: Emelin may be the answer to my no. 3 need, the crushing top 4 Dman, if we don't lose him to mis-management this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Hee hee. Good one.

Last edited by Mike8: 10-31-2011 at 01:13 PM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
A top-line centre like Getzlaf or Brad Richards would take this team from 10-4th in the east to perennial cup contender. Plekanec hasn't broken 71 pts ever in his career.
Why complain about Plekanec when the Habs have an albatross named Scott Gomez? Where would the Habs be without Plekanec? Sure the Habs could use a top center. However, Getzlaf isn't making his team a contender right now. No doubt Richards is an excellent player but I've observed that Dallas is doing better since he left as a UFA while the Rangers' chances of making the playoffs are uncertain. Richards had his best results playing in the shadow of Lecavalier and St.-Louis.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:08 AM
PricePkPatch

Our biggest need? Sean Avery, obviously!!!

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:52 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

#1 center is hard to come by. We would have to give up a lot. Chances Leblanc could be a #2 center by March? Gives us some scoring depth up the middle to make up for it.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:04 PM
EveryDay

What about that guy name Gillies? hes on waiver today. Would Boston and Toronto be affraid of him?

EveryDay is online now   Reply With Quote