HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#11 Kings @ Avalanche 10/30/11 - POST GAME LOSS THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-31-2011, 05:08 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
and sorry for my crappy english, I cant use the edit button.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Pucknut50

I finally hit the wall. I have been watching the Kings since 1971. I pretty much saw every game I could, but this year I've lost interest in the team. The game has become very sterile no emotion. I see very little effort out there on both sides. I will come back for the playoffs but regular no thank you. 40 years of following the team very sad day for me. Good luck guys.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:21 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney View Post
I like how all of you are panicking even though we clearly outplayed the Avs and got screwed by "puck luck" in the grandest sense.

Also like how you all are finally coming to terms with Brown being less effective than ever. The dude does literally nothing anymore except do weird ass dekes. But tonight he had a good game. Scott Parse also looks like a keeper. I thought the lines all played well and showed good chemistry, but when O'Byrne smoked a player (Stoll I think) that clearly changed the momentum of the game.

This reminded me of Kings games back in the past where we were getting swatted by a superior team but the puck kept coming to us and we ended up winning.

Everyone on defense looked good, Penner had his moments, there is no one really to blame this loss on.
Well, Brown does have 9 points in 11 games so he is doing *something* out there. I feel for the guy. The NHL's braintrust is trying to change how guys like him play the game and it's confusing. You have no idea how a game is going to be called anymore, so its no wonder he's hesitant to throw his body around. I watched the same thing happen to David Backes against the Oilers last night. Yesterday's great hit is today's penalty and tomorrow's suspension.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:40 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
I finally hit the wall. I have been watching the Kings since 1971. I pretty much saw every game I could, but this year I've lost interest in the team. The game has become very sterile no emotion. I see very little effort out there on both sides. I will come back for the playoffs but regular no thank you. 40 years of following the team very sad day for me. Good luck guys.
Take care.

Frolov 6'3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:12 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Your avatar will be missed.

(seriously, I will miss seeing that)

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:18 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:
The thrill is gone.

I'm not gonna quit watching but i'm definately not impressed with the overall changes the game is going through. It's starting to feel like basketball, where are the hits, the fights the bad blood? Especially this year, it feels like one big instant replay of dread. I don't want blood or injuries per se but I want passionate,inspired and maybe even a little dirty hockey during the regular season. Entertain us players we deserve it. All this protecting the players is going to lose some of the fans imo, it won't happen overnight but gradually they will leave.

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:20 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:
Thank the goof ball Terry Murray.

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Bad Will Hunting
It's my fault

vCash: 69

1.5 losses and people are already jumping ship.

Bad Will Hunting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Well, Brown does have 9 points in 11 games so he is doing *something* out there. I feel for the guy. The NHL's braintrust is trying to change how guys like him play the game and it's confusing. You have no idea how a game is going to be called anymore, so its no wonder he's hesitant to throw his body around. I watched the same thing happen to David Backes against the Oilers last night. Yesterday's great hit is today's penalty and tomorrow's suspension.
he is putting points up, but without diagnosing each one in detail. at least half of them are in situations that could be considered garbage time. he has had very few points that are during key pivotal times to date. just going off the top of my head, but i dont recall saying that goal was a big turning point when he has a G or A.

Shanny and the league office are changing things for the better. they have to take the hits to the head out, before someone is crippled or dies. BUT....the issue isn't what the changes are but how the game has evolved the the past 10-20 years when it comes to hitting. those hits in the video clip are good clean hits and DB over the years has made hundreds of them. his hits are usually very clean. he keeps his elbows in, he doesn't very often launch himself into the hit and typically hits them toe-to-toe or has the inside (his shoulder on the inside of the opponent).

the hits that usually bring suspension are all outside of this. elbows and forearms extended, launching into the opponent and not getting inside positioning. when guys start hitting like this i have no issue with the suspensions.

DB needs to get back to his old self and take the body. his forecheck always caused havoc, turnovers, penalties and points. whether it was directly from a turnover -goal, a PP goal from a retalitory penalty. his physical play is his greatest asset and skill, it makes zero sense for him to shy away from it. for worse as some have speculated, that managment/coaching has asked him to pull back from it.

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:31 AM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bral View Post
The thrill is gone.

I'm not gonna quit watching but i'm definately not impressed with the overall changes the game is going through. It's starting to feel like basketball, where are the hits, the fights the bad blood? Especially this year, it feels like one big instant replay of dread. I don't want blood or injuries per se but I want passionate,inspired and maybe even a little dirty hockey during the regular season. Entertain us players we deserve it. All this protecting the players is going to lose some of the fans imo, it won't happen overnight but gradually they will leave.
This stuff started to happen after the lockout and so I'm already used to it. It is very annoying though. I used to consider hockey my favorite sport. I used to love line brawls and goalie fights and now I feel like the league is a step away from banning fighting entirely.

I understand the need to protect players from concussions and head hunters, but the penalties and suspensions for almost meaningless stuff is killing the game. Not to mention the instigator rule destroyed players abilities to protect their teammates. Guys like Corey Perry and Sean Avery can do whatever they want without fear of retribution. Crazy to think that 40 years ago guys didn't even wear helmets.

jml87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Two skaters on the bottom six that I thought played well today were Richardson and Moreau. I like the physicality Moreau brings while also helping out on the defensive end, laying his body out to block shots. Reminds me of a heart and soul type player the Kings have been missing on their fourth line since Kelly Buchberger.

I think Clifford is getting adjusted to the expectation for him to do more than just surprise teams like he did last season with his play. His center last season was Handzus, this season its been Stoll or Lewis. They aren't the type who can control the puck down low as well as Handzus did. He needs to be more assertive, like he was last season. His sophomore season is following a similar pattern to what we saw with Simmonds, impressive rookie year followed by an up-and-down sophomore season.

As for Stoll, try as he might, he just isn't helping the team enough to win games. I'd like to see him try to setup plays, but I don't think he's capable of doing so. Hopefully he's just keeping a spot warm for Loktionov because I could see him excelling as a productive two-way center with remarkable playmaking abilities, similar to his mentor, Igor Larionov.
gotta agree with you on Moreau. to date he has been very solid. the fact he is out there on the PK this quick goes to show the coaches are pleased with him when it comes to D responsibility and positioning. hasn't shown much offensively, but he has been very good on the forecheck when he's the first man in the zone.

Clifford seems to be a bit hesitant on the forecheck and hits at this point. the same as DB. i agree with you also that Zus was a big contributing factor to his success last season. Zus' size allowed for him to control the puck, gain space and pull defenders to him that Stoll just can't do.

last night at the game one thing i took away was how brutal it was for COL playing against the Clifford/Stoll/Moreau line. that is alot of 'beef' on the wings. i would really like to see this combo stay together, because it will just tear down the opponent's D over time with that size. Stoll should always be the F3 and let the 'beef' get in first to cause havoc and TO's. everytime this line goes out they should just focus on agressive forechecking with heavy contact, cycling the puck and having Stoll floating looking for the TO's. at that point he moves in to shoot, or looks for someone breaking down the backside. they play like that i think you will start to see great results from that line.

Old
10-31-2011, 10:44 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Quote:

ibleedkings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:47 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I want to see Doughty simplify his game a little until his timing comes back.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:55 AM
bral
Go Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibleedkings View Post
It's not just the Kings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post

I agree, even change his stick back if you have to. For me DD's rookie season was his best, and it was because he put defense first. He's so good that if he just "D'd up" he'd still be better than most d-men out there(even offensively).The media and fans of other teams gushed over his sophmore year but for those of us that watched every game, his first year was by far his most solid defensively and IMO his best.

Last edited by bral: 10-31-2011 at 11:09 AM.
bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:03 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post

1.5 losses and people are already jumping ship.
It's more like over 1000 losses for pucknut.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:09 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Your avatar will be missed.

(seriously, I will miss seeing that)
QFT.

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:12 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bral View Post
The thrill is gone.

I agree. If two guys want to fight, let them. I don't want dirty stuff, but I'd rather watch a fight than watch idiots like Ott and Avery skate around stirring up ****.

I don't want to see the bench clearing brawls, or line brawls. Slapshot hockey was going a bit far for sure, but let's let the players play.

I often wonder why the NHLPA doesn't have a large say in suspensions as well, since they represent both sides (the offender and the offended player).

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:29 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
long winded one in bound......

the Avs weren't lucky. they outplayed and outhustled LA all night. i was there and saw first hand just how apathetic they played. others are correct when it comes to the board battles, COL outworked LA all night on the boards. someday Murray will learn before it's to late that when your team is losing the dump-n-chase board battles, that perhaps it's time for a different strategy. the ultimate sign of futility is continuing to do the same thing over and over when it isnt working.....because that ONE time it works out of X times.

problem here though as we know is that Murray doesn't have another strategy and has this team so locked down in his system they don't do anything else. its either dump-n-chase or a 2-man strong side push with maybe a crossing pass for a tip-in. problem is the other 29 teams in the league know this and play for it.

i always sit on the goal ends of an arena so i can see the flow, angles and pursuit. same as if you are playing. LA is entirely a N-S team with almost no side to side directional change. either skating or passes that will stretch a defense, pull it out of position and ultimately stretch it so it results in a goal or a penalty. tonight they were straight up and down all night. pretty damn easy to defend when you know nothing is coming on your backside, so you focus all your attention on what's in front of you.

the Richards line looks better since they put Parse on it. then again we are talking about him replacing Penner. at this point the trade for Penner may go down as the worse in Kings history. for 60-minutes he looked like he was going through the motions of playing. anytime he contributed was from being able to take advantage of his size/strength, but at the same time not take over the situation simply because he wanted to win/score/kick ass. the guy is a *** loaf. the sooner they get rid of him the better. with his size and strength he should be able to take over a game in the corners and low slot area, but instead opponents make him look like a lumbering oaf of a man. DL will be lucky to get more than a 4th rounder for him at the deadline. trade him, look for an option elsewhere, give a MAN kid a chance. put someone in the line-up that wants to be out there, someone that will hustle.

DD again looked to be trying to do to much. hell at least he was looking to take charge, unlike most of the guys. all night long, no matter where whoever had the puck held it to long, looked to long. blame it on the back to back?

i say no no, because the same thing happens every game. they are so entirely locked-in on what Murray wants when it comes to up ice attack and positioning it just slows them down. instead of attacking and creating an opportunity all i saw tonight was the puck carrier looking for someone to pass to that was moving up ice with speed. the problem here is that no one was cycling and generating up ice speed after the initial pass. once the pass was completed they immediately went back into cruise mode and look for a pass. not one guy all night seriously took the initiative, put down his shoulder, skated his ass off. to me it looked like a mens adult league playing at 11PM after working all day. everyone looks for someone else to hustle.

back to Parse. the Richards line is looking better with him, but can he take anymore stupid penalties. he picked up tonight where he left off last night. he is showing more skill and opening space than Penner does. at the same time i want to award him and Lewis with the 'easiest LA Kings to knock on there ass' award. outside ofreativ Kopi and Richards, i think Parse has shown the most creativity of any forward.

Pepsi Center....very nice rink. nice amenities. i was really surprised by the low turnout. not sure if it was because of the Broncos game, Halloween tomorrow, or what the cause. the entire upper bowl (300s) was at most 30% filled. i bought a $96 face value ticket for $35 in section 216. very low key crowd, VERY quiet. actually makes Staples seem loud.
Question then,

If every team knows what the Kings are going to do, how come they have a winning record? If it's so easy to defend and you know whats coming, the Kings should be winless, right?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:31 AM
DeeMeck

I blame TM for this streak.

Disappointingly gave Bernier some work when Quick was hot.

Then didn't play Bernier when it made sense last night. It was the perfect opportunity to give Bernier another game.

Gotta have more confidence in Bernier instead of just sticking him out there for eastern conference games.

You get the same 2 points for beating an east team. It is way too early in the season to let your opponent dictate who is in goal that night. Ride the hot hand.

There will be times when Quick is fighting the puck and plenty of back-to-back games to give Bernier ample work.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:42 AM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Question then,

If every team knows what the Kings are going to do, how come they have a winning record? If it's so easy to defend and you know whats coming, the Kings should be winless, right?
It's playing to win by percentages. Rather than playing the game based around player's abilities, you base it around a system. A system to create breakdowns and ultimately opportunities. It completely takes creativity out of the game when a team is so locked down. Last night's game was one of the most boring LA games I've ever witnessed live.

At this point LA games will continue to be 1-goal games, with the occasional blow out against a team coming off a back-to-back.

Just a small change to how-when they attack will create more in the long run. If a team doesn't have overwhelming superior talent, the next best asset is to keep the opponent guessing. If they don't know where-how you are coming from you will get better opportunities.

I'm all for playing responsibly, but at the same time you have to play to win. Last night I didn't see that at all. You saw a team going through the motions of playing, hoping for an opportunity. You didn't see a team playing to make things happen and to win. You saw the usual TMu team sitting back, playing for the TO, waiting to counter-attack and hope to score.

Old
10-31-2011, 11:47 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
i have to agree here with most people.

It's not just the KIngs its an NHL trend.
The games geting boring. Players getting penaltys for just being close to players like Crosby. As a bonus these players never get a nything playing dirty.
Ovechkin is the best example always going knee on knee contact but nobody cares.

I former days players like Pronger would pull him to the side and teach him mannors.
That takes out rivalrys between teams or special players.

Well Terry Murray hockey isn't helping either as well stopping the game every 2 minutes now for comercials.

They should follow western soccer leagues and ban comercials to period breaks and before and after game shows.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:52 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post
It's playing to win by percentages. Rather than playing the game based around player's abilities, you base it around a system. A system to create breakdowns and ultimately opportunities. It completely takes creativity out of the game when a team is so locked down. Last night's game was one of the most boring LA games I've ever witnessed live.

At this point LA games will continue to be 1-goal games, with the occasional blow out against a team coming off a back-to-back.

Just a small change to how-when they attack will create more in the long run. If a team doesn't have overwhelming superior talent, the next best asset is to keep the opponent guessing. If they don't know where-how you are coming from you will get better opportunities.

I'm all for playing responsibly, but at the same time you have to play to win. Last night I didn't see that at all. You saw a team going through the motions of playing, hoping for an opportunity. You didn't see a team playing to make things happen and to win. You saw the usual TMu team sitting back, playing for the TO, waiting to counter-attack and hope to score.
True, but you are saying that is every game and that is definitely not true.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Bandit

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that. I understand what you're saying, but after all the lousy teams you've endured in the past you're giving up now? I know it's frustrating having a diving girl as the team captain but Richards at least seems to have some of that old-time passion for the game.

In any case, I hope your love for the game returns, always unfortunate to lose a fan.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:21 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He really needs to. That is what missing training camp does.

On the lighter side of things after coming back we are 0-2 with Drew and 4-1 with Voynov.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Duc620

I must be watching a different club than some of you guys.

I see a team that is finally starting to put it together. Finally starting to play the system with speed and instinct rather than thinking it through. They have whole sections of periods where they keep the puck and game under their control. The forecheck is vastly improved, especially in the last three games. They bottled up Colorado and Coyote for minutes at a time.

This is completely different than the past few years. We used to have a team that periodically collapsed and then either scrambled or just played through the minutes. When was the last time we had a team that scored within a few minutes after an opponents goal - to take back momentum. We've done it three times this year. Now we have a team that is capable of controlling the flow and pace of a game. They are IN every game until the last minute. It doesn't matter if they're tired (3 games in 4 days) or unlucky, they're still in the game and dominating about 30-40 minutes of it.

They were out hustled on occasion last night, not because they didn't care, but because this was their third game in four days. And it didn't matter because they were still in the game, still taking it to the AVs. The Kings would have skated away with this game but for two great bounces - and a very talented Duchene. They are better than the individual plays, good or bad, of individual players.

They are learning to play like a championship team with an expectation and responsibility to stay with and execute the system.

A completely different feel and energy to this team as far as I'm concerned.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote