HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Time to break up JTs line?

Old
10-31-2011, 01:57 AM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
Time to break up JTs line?

Don't get me wrong, JTs line isn't exactly broken, but the other 2 scoring lines are. It also isn't even like Tavares line gets a lot done at even strength either.

So here is what I propose when Nino comes back

Grabner - Tavares - Okposo
Moulson - Bailey - Niederreiter
Comeau - Neilsen - Parenteau
Martin - Rasoner - Pandolfo

Rolston as the scratch

It's dramatically different & maybe it'll get some guys going. Only thing I really don't like is that 3rd line because both Parenteau & Comeau want to play on the left side. So they'll probably be in eachothers way all the time. Maybe throw Martin up on the 3rd line & Comeau down to the 4th?

I seem to remember when the team was slumping last year the coaching staff didn't really change the lines up a whole lot either. I know it's early, but this team has been playing in it's own zone at even strength for over 2 years now (really about 17 years). I think it's time to do something drastic.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:01 AM
startainfection

grabner - tavares - nino
comeau - bailey - parenteau
moulson - nielsen - okposo
martin - reasoner - rolston

2nd and 3rd lines get same amount of ice time

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:16 AM
Isles Junkie

i don't like the idea of scratching Pandolfo though. He's been solid on the 4th line & excellent on the PK.

Old
10-31-2011, 08:17 AM
Veteran journeyman

I wouldn't mind seeing KO on the top line with Moulson and Tavares. That line worked well two seasons ago...KO had over 50 points and nearly 20 goals, and didn't turn the puck over at the blue line entering the zone nearly as much as PA. I say that with all due respect to PA, since I think he's a decent player and not deserving of some of the criticism he takes, but I think Okposo's speed and work along the boards (if he gets that back to where it was pre-injury) makes for a better fit on the top line.

And I think Bailey and Comeau should be split up. Whatever chemistry they had at the beginning of last season is not there anymore, and Bailey never is able to hit Comeau with those blind passes.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:15 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Don't get me wrong, JTs line isn't exactly broken, but the other 2 scoring lines are. It also isn't even like Tavares line gets a lot done at even strength either.

So here is what I propose when Nino comes back

Grabner - Tavares - Okposo
Moulson - Bailey - Niederreiter
Comeau - Neilsen - Parenteau
Martin - Rasoner - Pandolfo

Rolston as the scratch

It's dramatically different & maybe it'll get some guys going. Only thing I really don't like is that 3rd line because both Parenteau & Comeau want to play on the left side. So they'll probably be in eachothers way all the time. Maybe throw Martin up on the 3rd line & Comeau down to the 4th?

I seem to remember when the team was slumping last year the coaching staff didn't really change the lines up a whole lot either. I know it's early, but this team has been playing in it's own zone at even strength for over 2 years now (really about 17 years). I think it's time to do something drastic.

I would switch Bailey and Neilson...

Bailey has shown nothin so far......

All in all. I think what do we have to lose....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:47 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Considering that Capuano didnt change a single thing last year what makes you think he will do this now?

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:35 AM
xECK29x

No...next topic for discussion?

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:41 AM
kasper11

Something needs to change. This team can't score 5 on 5. I would go with...

Comeau-JT-Okposo
Grabner-Bailey-PAP
Moulson-Nielsen-Nino

Bailey gets to play with two offensive wingers, and JT gets two physical wingers to protect him.

At worst, we figure out what we have with Bailey, Comeau and Okposo.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:48 AM
xECK29x

Looks like it might happen anyways, Kevin Schultz is reporting Tavares is not on the ice at practice today and Nino is in his place.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...-for-oct-31st/

BTW the new site is disgusting.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:54 AM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
Looks like it might happen anyways, Kevin Schultz is reporting Tavares is not on the ice at practice today and Nino is in his place.

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2...-for-oct-31st/

BTW the new site is disgusting.
WOW!! Without CB IPB will not be the same...Looks like what we leave in the toilet.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:33 AM
majormet

I think things need to be a bit more drastic.

Grabner/JT/Parenteau
Nino/Reasoner/Okposo
Moulson/Nielsen/Comeau
Martin/Haley/Pandolfo

I would scratch Bailey and Rolston with Gillies

I would demote Mottau and deal Nabokov to Detroit immediately

I think Reasoner is the 2nd best offensive option at center on this team, which is sad.

I think PAP and Grabner would play well together.

Moulson is a 3rd line kind of guy, he won't pot 30 goals, but 16-20 on the 3rd line is solid.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
I think things need to be a bit more drastic.

Grabner/JT/Parenteau
Nino/Reasoner/Okposo
Moulson/Nielsen/Comeau
Martin/Haley/Pandolfo

I would scratch Bailey and Rolston with Gillies

I would demote Mottau and deal Nabokov to Detroit immediately

I think Reasoner is the 2nd best offensive option at center on this team, which is sad.

I think PAP and Grabner would play well together.

Moulson is a 3rd line kind of guy, he won't pot 30 goals, but 16-20 on the 3rd line is solid.
Why would you deal Nabokov immediately? To rely on wet Toilet Paper Rick?

I'll say it right now, if they trade Nabokov at any point during the season, then they have no chance at the playoffs. Ricks already let in 1 of his trademark awful soft goals that aided in a loss. Let's not rely on him to be anything other than the #3 goalie who will hopefully be bought out thanks to the new CBA next year.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
WOW!! Without CB IPB will not be the same...Looks like what we leave in the toilet.....
It looks like every single other SNY blog... I think the sites been fine lately obviously Botta had more insight having worked with the team but it's ok to me.

Why break the line up they look so happy together!

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:08 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Why would you deal Nabokov immediately? To rely on wet Toilet Paper Rick?

I'll say it right now, if they trade Nabokov at any point during the season, then they have no chance at the playoffs. Ricks already let in 1 of his trademark awful soft goals that aided in a loss. Let's not rely on him to be anything other than the #3 goalie who will hopefully be bought out thanks to the new CBA next year.
I think dealing Nabokov now is a risk but being stuck with him at the deadline might be worse, sometimes it is better to unload early, but mainly because we have to carry 3 goalies and Rick is not going anywhere. I supposed we can wait 15-20 games before the inevitable season ending injury.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:44 PM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
Considering that Capuano didnt change a single thing last year what makes you think he will do this now?
One would argue he didn't have to change a thing.

I'd keep the lines together for another game, they generated a lot of chances last game; perhaps a sign that chemistry is brewing.

Speaking of chemistry, gr8 pic of that top line; I wonder how the players celebrated H-ween.

BelovedIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:16 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

I would like:
Moulson-JT-Okposo

Mainly because I really like the way Moulson and JT play off eachother (typically) and Okposo needs to show more passion....Something Tavares has brought to each game this year.

Grabner-Neilson-Nino

Again I have to believe Neilson and Grabs was not a fluke last year. I'm confident they will find that magic again and I feel like some of the problem was Okposo not converting a few chances...Maybe if a few of those chances go in instead of hitting the posts the whole line gets going.

Martin-Reasoner-PAP

This line is something that looks horrible on paper but might be successful on ice. This will also show us whether PAP can put up numbers without JT which from what I've seen this year looks like a possibility. The main reason I like this line is because even though these guys aren't the most talented, these guys IN MY OPINION have come to play all year long.

Which brings me to the 4th line....

Comeau-Bailey-Rolston

I would name this line "Dead Wood" ....Now the talent is supposed to be there however none of them have earned ice time which is why I would give them 4th line ice time until they outplay the third line.

Just my take, the best players play the most minutes and rightnow Comeau-Bailey-Rolston are the worst of the worst.

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:33 PM
ledzep1212
Watch Broad City

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDenisPotvin View Post
I would like:
Moulson-JT-Okposo

Mainly because I really like the way Moulson and JT play off eachother (typically) and Okposo needs to show more passion....Something Tavares has brought to each game this year.

Grabner-Neilson-Nino

Again I have to believe Neilson and Grabs was not a fluke last year. I'm confident they will find that magic again and I feel like some of the problem was Okposo not converting a few chances...Maybe if a few of those chances go in instead of hitting the posts the whole line gets going.

Martin-Reasoner-PAP

This line is something that looks horrible on paper but might be successful on ice. This will also show us whether PAP can put up numbers without JT which from what I've seen this year looks like a possibility. The main reason I like this line is because even though these guys aren't the most talented, these guys IN MY OPINION have come to play all year long.

Which brings me to the 4th line....

Comeau-Bailey-Rolston

I would name this line "Dead Wood" ....Now the talent is supposed to be there however none of them have earned ice time which is why I would give them 4th line ice time until they outplay the third line.

Just my take, the best players play the most minutes and rightnow Comeau-Bailey-Rolston are the worst of the worst.
Scratching Pandolfo is insanely stupid, and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:16 AM
IslandersFan17

If all indications are correct with Nino making his return I doubt the JT line stays intact.

IslandersFan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 08:25 AM
CaptDenisPotvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzep1212 View Post
Scratching Pandolfo is insanely stupid, and makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Which of Comeau-Bailey-Rolston would you like to sit for a extended period of time? You know its not Rolston with his salary...Would you like to sit Comeau who scored 24 goals last year? Or Maybe the 1st round pick from a few years ago?

I believe sitting one of Martin-Reasoner-PAP would be equally as "stupid"...So in other words...Take a walk

On the other hand I do love people who blurt out "This Sucks" and "That's Stupid" without another option....

Last edited by CaptDenisPotvin: 11-01-2011 at 08:30 AM.
CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:32 PM
ZMan17
U of A!!!

Send a message via AIM to ZMan17
Maybe put Martin with JT for a bit? Could help JT to have a physical winger that can at least hit.

ZMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:45 PM
KrisBeKreame

I was thinking somthing similar

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Grabner - Bailey - Niederreiter
Comeau/Rolston - Neilsen - Parenteau
Martin - Reasoner - Pandolfo

Im not ready to give up on the chemistry of molson and tavares, but putting okposo there to dig out rebounds and corners i think they could do well.

Nielsen is a good center but hes not a playmaking center and hes just as effective as a 3rd line center.

My hope is that bailey can distribute the puck to two exellent skating wings and gain the confidence to put him back on track (Hes not going to do that with the lost wingers hes playing with now). Nielsen stabalizes the 3rd line with floater Comeau/Rolston and hard working PAP, with riding the hot hand between Comeau and Rolston till one of them earn the spot or till Comeau gets traded.

I see no need to fix the 4th beacuse they have been effective so far when called upon.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:51 PM
the sweetener

if it aint broke dont fix it.

the 1st line isnt the problem so it probably shouldnt change. why go from having a team w/ only 1 line scoring to a team w/ no lines scoring.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:47 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sweetener View Post

the 1st line isnt the problem so it probably shouldnt change. why go from having a team w/ only 1 line scoring to a team w/ no lines scoring.
This.

When you KNOW one line works, why kill it to try making two or three lines work? Communism?

Play Bailey on 4th line wing until he earns minutes. Put Martin on line 3 because HE'S EARNED MINUTES.

Continue based on their play, not hope.

These things then fix themselves.....Bailey either plays better or plays himself off of the roster. The idea is to win games, not develop players. What better way to develop than demand winning above all else, anyway?

I wanna see Nino, if he shakes things up in B'port, play on line 3 with Comeau and Martin. Rolston deserves line 4 or 5.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sweetener View Post

Because that is really a misconception that the 1st line is scoring. the first line forwards have only 10 goals. 6 even strength (JT 3, MM 2, PAP 1), 4 on the PP (all JT). They don't spend a lot of time in the offensive zone. Very often it's one shot & the puck is going the other way. The first line isn't really broken, but they aren't playing as well as they can either. besides, the idea isn't really to break up the 1st line. it's to spread the talent around.

I don't think you can get the players like Okposo, Bailey, Comeau going until you put them with different players. Part of that is going to be moving the 1st line players around.

Old
11-02-2011, 05:13 PM
Hip Of Rick

All 4 lines look horrible, change up every single line

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote