HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-2013 Official BST Discussion Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2011, 09:47 PM
will5059

vCash: 500
Guys looked a little flat after the shooting win in Hartford last night. I'm no expert but I think they need to stop trying to be too fancy in the attack zone. Less passing more shooting. WAY too many penaltys. Espacially in the first period. Can't get into a flow if your killing penalty most of the first 15 minutes of the game. On a side note I saw Matt Moulson in the concourse behind section 110. Nice to see guys on the big club supporting the farm team . Love the signings this offseason to lock up the young core players. Love the way the 1st line on the island is turning into a force. Hopefully they keep building up steam . The rest will fall into place behind them.

Old
10-16-2011, 11:19 PM
Sneekypete

Poulin wasn`t nearly as bad as allowing 5 goals suggests today. he was hung out to dry numerous times by his defense.
De Haan and Donovan were absolutely terrible on defense today. Donovan took 4 terrible penalties including a match penalty,that he was clearly head hunting on and will most likely seea 2-3 game suspension. De Haan was often overmatched and a few times left his man alone to skate free.
Ness played decent
Reese and Wishart stunk on ice
Olson was very solid and needs more ice time, he also banged out a big boy today in a very nice fight
The forward core spent most of the day killing penalties I think the Phantoms had about 20 plus minutes of PP time. The good news is even though they allowed 2pp goals there pk looked very good and active.
Haley took a major penalty as well for boarding that i think may have been a borderline call.
Ullstrom was there best forward offensively he scored a beautifal goal using a dman as a screen and firing a goal over Leightons shoulder on a 1 on 1 rush.
Everyone else was meh, Dibo was starting trouble and had a few nice shots but Leighton was a studd for the few offensive chances Bport had.

Both Haley`s and Donovans hit were changed to Match penalties from boarding calls last night, so most likely suspensions are going to happen for both.

Last edited by Sneekypete: 10-17-2011 at 09:00 AM.
Old
10-17-2011, 06:24 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneekypete View Post
De Haan and Donovan were absolutely terrible on defense today. Donovan took 4 terrible penalties including a match penalty,that he was clearly head hunting on and will most likely seea 2-3 game suspension. De Haan was often overmatched and a few times left his man alone to skate free.
This is exactly what I was going to say. I'll reiterate that Donovan was TERRIBLE today. It wasn't that he took penalties, but they were BAD penalties. De Haan was def overmatched and still does not look like the saviour everyone thought he was when "he was making the team out of camp."

Jack Capuano was there watching the game as well. I loved that Matt Moulson was sitting there in 113 with his wife and mom in law, and not one person went up to him. Not even a "hey Matt" as they walked by. Im going to go out on a limb and say people were just letting him have his space (which is cool) I seriously doubt those people didn't recognize him. (Right?)

Old
10-17-2011, 10:45 PM
will5059

You know, I thought about saying hello. But , I guess I've watched way too much "curb your enthusiasm" and feared that I would come out looking like a dick head. He is an athlete and not a politition. So I carried on with my day. I'm sure the season ticket holders knew who he was . The families there for "kids opening night" probley had no idea. Remember , anyone coming from new haven county , like me, needs center ice to watch the isles play. That means a good chunk of the crowd couldn't pick most islanders out of a line-up.

Old
10-19-2011, 11:08 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Gotta say - I truly believed that with Poulin and Nilsson in net, AHL teams wouldn't score more than 3 goals against the Tigers on any given night.

Kind of upsetting seeing opponents popping in four or five against our kiddies. Don't wanna hear about the young and inexperienced D in front of them - I have truly felt that both were the types of studs who can win and stop pucks on sheer "wallpower" alone.

Paint me rather disappointed...

Old
10-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Sneekypete

Chapin, from what I have seen the defensive breakdowns have been so bad that giving up 4 or 5 goals is actually pretty good when Bport is giving up 20 quality chances a night..Once Bport`s D tightens up and stops making stupid mistakes regulary you will see much better tending...I have yet to really see Poulin let in a softie yet and I have to see Nilsson play live..

Old
10-20-2011, 06:25 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Watch the highlites of games on the Soundtigers website. Watch how many breakaways the opposition gets. Watch how many times the defense is out of position. They'll get there, but they sure as hell arent even close right now.

Old
10-22-2011, 07:17 PM
Isles Enforcer

Ugh...Poulin had to be pulled tonight in St johns. He was terrible, but then again so was the rest of the team.

Old
10-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Ugh...Poulin had to be pulled tonight in St johns. He was terrible, but then again so was the rest of the team.
Could the knee injury be a factor in Poulin's play? I just remember him being unstoppable in his time with Bridgeport.

Old
10-30-2011, 05:15 AM
NYI78

nice job by the boys this weekend. i like what i saw from mikko and nilsson. this is one of the faster and fiestier teams i have seen in a while and they are a good watch right now.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:01 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Could the knee injury be a factor in Poulin's play? I just remember him being unstoppable in his time with Bridgeport.
Judging by the highlights, he doesn't seem to have any problems with mobility and the like. Fortunately.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been all that mega-sharp. I know some defensive lapses may have had an effect, but considering we felt Poulin was an exceptional rock-solid future #1, it is disappointing not seeing him be able to 'win on his own' at the AHL level.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:15 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
Judging by the highlights, he doesn't seem to have any problems with mobility and the like. Fortunately.

Unfortunately, he hasn't been all that mega-sharp. I know some defensive lapses may have had an effect, but considering we felt Poulin was an exceptional rock-solid future #1, it is disappointing not seeing him be able to 'win on his own' at the AHL level.
I agree but rust coming back from injury could be a factor. I'm willing to give him a bigger grace period than Nilsson. I expected Nilsson to be among the league leaders in goaltending categories this year if given enough games. So far I'm looking pretty wrong.

Old
10-30-2011, 10:17 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I agree but rust coming back from injury could be a factor. I'm willing to give him a bigger grace period than Nilsson. I expected Nilsson to be among the league leaders in goaltending categories this year if given enough games. So far I'm looking pretty wrong.
nilsson was excellent last night..we shouldn't be making judgments after 4 starts...i think we need to see a bigger body of work...

Old
10-30-2011, 10:18 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

BTW, Cizikas with his 1st two goals of the season. 7 points in 9 games now, not bad for a rookie in the AHL. If he stays consistent throughout the rest of the year I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a shot. Maybe some 3rd line minutes this year if Bailey never turns it on.

Old
10-30-2011, 11:59 AM
JPIsles21

Quote:

He did win on his own last year. It's been 4 games, and he's coming off an injury. He's also only 21. Even Lundqvist struggles.

Old
10-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Veteran journeyman

I only know what I see in the stats and what I saw in the rookie games against Boston this year and last, but for people who follow Bridgeport more closely, how come we never hear about Ullstrom when people talk about a call-up from the AHL? To me, it seemed like he did everything right but score, and now it looks like he's doing a little of that early this year as well. How does he look out there...ready for at least a quick look at the NHL-level sooner or later?

Old
10-30-2011, 01:52 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
BTW, Cizikas with his 1st two goals of the season. 7 points in 9 games now, not bad for a rookie in the AHL. If he stays consistent throughout the rest of the year I wouldn't be surprised to see him get a shot. Maybe some 3rd line minutes this year if Bailey never turns it on.
out of curiosity, what line is cizikas playing on?

Old
10-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
out of curiosity, what line is cizikas playing on?
I think his line was most recently:
Dibenedetto-Cizikas-Wallace

Ullstrom and Colliton have been playing together and likely will continue to do so even when Rakhshani returns, who'll then likely join them.

If Rak is OK (concussion symptoms not necessarily going away), he and Ullstrom should click again like they did last season.

Old
10-31-2011, 07:19 AM
NYI78

Quote:
I think his line was most recently:
Dibenedetto-Cizikas-Wallace

Ullstrom and Colliton have been playing together and likely will continue to do so even when Rakhshani returns, who'll then likely join them.

If Rak is OK (concussion symptoms not necessarily going away), he and Ullstrom should click again like they did last season.
rak is out with a mcl strain not post concussion..his head is fine...ullstrom is really progressing nicely and has moved to the wing with collition centering that line and he has been good..what i like most above david is that he takes everything to the net hard and with a purpose...the d in bport seems to be progressing and we know the goalies are good this is a very entertaining team to watch

Old
10-31-2011, 09:05 AM
Sneekypete

I really like Ullstroms game, especially in all 3 zones but I am looking for him to really make his linemates better in the offensive zone. He forechecks pretty well and can grind along the boards but I have yet to really see that vision with the puck, that he was toughted for.
That is my only real gripe about him so far.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:06 PM
StrongIslanders90

hows de Hann been???

Old
10-31-2011, 01:04 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
rak is out with a mcl strain not post concussion..his head is fine...ullstrom is really progressing nicely and has moved to the wing with collition centering that line and he has been good..what i like most above david is that he takes everything to the net hard and with a purpose...the d in bport seems to be progressing and we know the goalies are good this is a very entertaining team to watch
I see cizikas is listed as lw on bst's roster. Is that correct or is he actually playing center?

Old
10-31-2011, 03:01 PM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonger View Post
I see cizikas is listed as lw on bst's roster. Is that correct or is he actually playing center?
mostly center but he has played some wing as has ulstrom

Old
10-31-2011, 03:44 PM
xECK29x

Can anyone provide the full lines (inc PP/PK) BPT has been icing? Is there a site that provides this info?

Thanks!

Old
10-31-2011, 09:58 PM
Isles Enforcer

This is what they were running the last 2 games

Ullstrom-Colliton-Backman
McNeely-Frischmon-Romano
DiBenedetto-Cizikas-Wallace
Kissel/Gallant-Haley-Marcinko

de Haan-Wishart
Donovan-Reese
Ness-Oleksy/Olson

Closed Thread