HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realignment - Losing Philly?

Old
10-30-2011, 05:20 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Martin View Post
It also eliminates the team who gets seeded higher because they are a divisional leader even though their record is worse than other teams in other divisions.

Playoffs bracket would need some thought though.

6 teams from each conference would make it into the playoffs

Why would this be necessary? Just do it by points, or top team in every conference automatic, then by points. So no chance a conference winner is out (reasonable for such large "divisions"), but otherwise, it's all about achievement. If 14 or 15 of 16 teams are from two conferences in this format, so be it. You want the best teams in there, the ones that earned it... and if the schedules are evened out so much as I described where every team is playing every other team pretty much the same number of times, divisional or conference meaning goes away when it comes time to do the playoffs. Just take the best teams, period.

If that meant a Central and East heavy result, A-OK.

Might end up something like (just making up rankings out of thin air)

1. Vancouver
2. Chicago
3. Washington
4. Pittsburgh
5. Detroit
6. Buffalo
7. San Jose
8. Boston
9. New York
10. Montreal
11. St. Louis
12. Dallas
13. Carolina
14. Colorado
15. Nashville
16. Philly

.... can anyone give me a substantive answer why it would matter / make the playoffs worse to only have two western teams in this example, and 14 from the other two would-be conferences? I can't think of one besides "oh but it will suck for the mediocre teams out west that didn't get in... boo hoo."

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:44 PM
JalapenoPeppa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic n Flightless View Post
I think this would be the easiest.

...and this one I was goofing around but it would be interesting
That's not bad at all. A division with the Hawks, Wings, Flyers and Pens would be awesome.

JalapenoPeppa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 05:54 PM
Flyers845

The pens rivalry is good I personally enjoy seeing the rangers more because of the new York angle. But not going to 3 home games vs Pitt would be a kick in the ass. I miss the 4 games we used to get

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:02 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDefense View Post
That's not bad at all. A division with the Hawks, Wings, Flyers and Pens would be awesome.
That second one is probably the best one I've seen but that's a lot of re-alignment. Also teams like MN get screwed in that deal travel-wise. However it's pretty much unavoidable that someone will get hosed on travel with a east-west re-alignment of major proportions.

Old
10-30-2011, 06:07 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenDefense View Post
I agree, a division of Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Philly would be pretty good. Detroit, Philly, Chicago, Pens would be fighting pretty hard for being number 1 in the division, and we would have the best division in hockey just because all 4 of those teams will be 100 point teams, and the Columbus/Pittsburgh rivalry that's starting will be another crazy one i'd love to have.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:26 PM
WhatsaMaatta

Yahoo just posted an article on this, with the Pens at the center of it all. Click

Even disregarding an my favorite team's best interest, this is not a good a move by the league. The idea of removing Detroit from other teams' arenas out west is not a good proposition. Someone said Nashville should move to the East earlier, and that makes a lot of sense as far as division alignment. Anything that keeps Detroit and Chicago in the west is a good idea.

The other thing that bugs me about this is that teams only play against other conferences' teams twice in a season. That means that Chicago-Detroit, Chicago-Vancouver, Pittsburgh-Philly, Pittsburgh-Washington, Winnipeg vs other Canadian teams, etc would potentially only be seen twice each year.

Last edited by WhatsaMaatta: 10-30-2011 at 06:32 PM.
WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 06:33 PM
mpp9

I vote playing philly 82 times a season.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:25 PM
Ominous Grey

The funny thing is - they'll move Columbus (or Detroit) to the East....and by the end of the year have to move them back. Phoenix will be gone. Likely they'll be switching from West to East (Quebec)....and then what? Who's the first to go to the West? Probably right back for Detroit or Columbus...or you have a 16 team and 14 team conference mess-up.

Phoenix really will ruin this. I don't understand why they don't just wait for that to play out.

So here's what it would look like by 2012-13 under this plan...

EAST

1) Philadelphia
2) Washington
3) New York Rangers
4) New York Islanders
5) New Jersey
6) Carolina
7) Tampa Bay
8) Florida

9) Quebec
10) Columbus
11) Toronto
12) Montreal
13) Boston
14) Pittsburgh
15) Boston
16) Ottawa

WEST

1) Detroit
2) Winnipeg
3) Chicago
4) Dallas
5) Nashville
6) St. Louis
7) Minnesota

8) Vancouver
9) Edmonton
10) Calgary
11) Anaheim
12) Los Angeles
13) San Jose
14) Colorado

Seriously, 14-16 split by NEXT year. Not to mention the crowd-pleasing rivalries of Anaheim-Calgary and Quebec-Columbus. What a mess.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:37 AM
Aquatic n Flightless

Quote:

Lets go with my "goofy" suggestion and just call it South and West vs the NorthEast, Greater Area.

I think 'clumping the whole upper right corner of the map may be the way to go. Or just go like baseball with the AL & NL, and just make things awesome(while not worrying about travel budgets and whatnot)

Aquatic n Flightless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 12:47 AM
Aquatic n Flightless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I actually really like this. My favorite part is that Jets didn't get a logo or even typed From a business standpoint it wouldn't make much sense to put 4 of the bigger draws into the same division. If they do, they should call it the "Save the Blue Jackets" division.
This is very true. 4 big teams in one 5 team division. But maybe the "market will correct itself." We can't assume any team being a power house 2 years from now.

I see what you mean tho, those are some teams with big tradition.

Last edited by Aquatic n Flightless: 10-31-2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: adding understanding
Old
10-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Aquatic n Flightless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
I agree, a division of Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, and Philly would be pretty good. Detroit, Philly, Chicago, Pens would be fighting pretty hard for being number 1 in the division, and we would have the best division in hockey just because all 4 of those teams will be 100 point teams, and the Columbus/Pittsburgh rivalry that's starting will be another crazy one i'd love to have.
...and it still kinda makes sense geographically. Yes, it seems brutal right now, but you can't base divisions on what seems weak now. The teams could/will be drastically different.

Exactly, half or more of our games against philly, detroit, chitown, and columbus... that just sounds awesome! Right?!

Last edited by Aquatic n Flightless: 10-31-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: .. thinking about schedule
Old
10-31-2011, 02:05 AM
Woodrow
I hate yo-yo's

Quote:

I like it except I don't think it'll happen because Minnesota doesn't want to be the only American team in a division.

Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:53 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepper View Post
I like it except I don't think it'll happen because Minnesota doesn't want to be the only American team in a division.
Ya, any of the Canada/US divisions will have a 2/3 or 3/2 mix, not 4/1 or 1/4.

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:21 AM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
Division 1 - Ott, Tor, Bos, Buf, Mon, Det/CBS, Pit

Division 2 - Phi, NYR, NJ, NYI, WSH, FLA, CAR, TB
So essentially this would be like going back to the Northeast division that was a failed experiment (despite winning the divsion a couple times)

Awful, awful, awful idea...

I would be steamed if this happens. Steamed, I tell you...

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:36 AM
JTG

I mean, if we want to get technical, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Toronto, and DC are all closer to Pittsburgh than Philly.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:56 AM
Sypher04

I dont know why re-alignment is such a big topic right now tbh. I wouldn't change up the divisions until we know where Phoenix is gonna be.

If we change up everything this year, then Phoenix relocates, then what? We re-do everything again next year... forget it.

As for the losing the rivalry... It's not really a huge issue. We'd gain the Pens/Wings rivalry, and part of being in a division is developing rivalries, which could be just as fun between the teams new to our division.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:00 AM
regard

Doing a temporary move of having Columbus join the South East sounds good enough until they figure out what will happen with Phoenix.

Has anyone followed that situation enough to know whats likely to happen now? Every year it sounds like theres no way they'll stay and they do.

As for the reason to move Columbus and not Nashville, Nashvilles in the midwest time zone, columbus is in the eastern. I know I'd have trouble watching many games if I had to deal with the late time zones they do.

It would be nice to have more games with Columbus, easy travel team for us as fans.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:42 AM
JTG

Nashville really does need to be in the East though. That'd be brutal having as many late starts as that fanbase has due to their team playing on the West coast so much.

I'd move Nashville and Columbus to the East before I'd move Detroit.

Old
10-31-2011, 11:08 AM
SkullSplitter

Quote:

Wow, solution 1 is so frigging simple & perfect.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I mean, if we want to get technical, Buffalo, Columbus, Detroit, Toronto, and DC are all closer to Pittsburgh than Philly.
Yah it's just he mental "in-state" factor that does it for some people. Personally I agree the league should figure out what the hell is going ot happen with PHX and FLA over the next 2-3 years before doing anything more than

WPG - Central
NSH - SE

This should be the short-term fix until the viability of these two useless franchises (PHX FLA) plays out IMO. Let's see if they disappear or move, THEN make a massive re-alignment based on whatever is left, IF there is a vote for it among 60% of owners.

As for rivalries in that list Yahoo put together, I can see a really good rivalry developing with Detroit and Buffalo if that happened, but if they even kept Detroit out of our new division that would suck bad for us. Detroit + Buffalo could replace Philly but just Buffalo alone couldn't as far as fan interest / hype. in FACT, it would be definitive PROOF that Uncle Gary does not show us favoritism, so all the other fan bases would have to STF U about it.

Old
10-31-2011, 11:35 AM
JTG

I think Kansas City went a long way into showing their viability as a destination for a team.

Quebec is another destination, obviously.

I would like to see 2 teams go out west though, and have Nasville and Columbus in the East.

I can't see the West wanting to give up Detroit.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher04 View Post
I dont know why re-alignment is such a big topic right now tbh. I wouldn't change up the divisions until we know where Phoenix is gonna be.

If we change up everything this year, then Phoenix relocates, then what? We re-do everything again next year... forget it.

As for the losing the rivalry... It's not really a huge issue. We'd gain the Pens/Wings rivalry, and part of being in a division is developing rivalries, which could be just as fun between the teams new to our division.
something very simple needs to happen to at least get Winnipeg out of the South East.

Old
10-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post

As for rivalries in that list Yahoo put together, I can see a really good rivalry developing with Detroit and Buffalo if that happened, but if they even kept Detroit out of our new division that would suck bad for us. Detroit + Buffalo could replace Philly but just Buffalo alone couldn't as far as fan interest / hype. in FACT, it would be definitive PROOF that Uncle Gary does not show us favoritism, so all the other fan bases would have to STF U about it.
Having a girlfriend from Erie, I have to say a Buffalo rivalry would be awesome and it would flair up VERY quickly.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:50 PM
regard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Nashville really does need to be in the East though. That'd be brutal having as many late starts as that fanbase has due to their team playing on the West coast so much.

I'd move Nashville and Columbus to the East before I'd move Detroit.
Agreed though I'd still pick Columbus first.

I wonder if they moved Nashville, Columbus, Detroit, Phoenix(Quebec City) to the East could they just restructure the way games are allotted so thier more spread out outside divisions. To spread out travel. And to give the "Central" teams in the Eastern conference more games in the correct time zone?

Divisions something like:
Detroit, Columbus, St Louis, Chicago, Buffalo

Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City, Boston
Pittsburgh, Philly, NJ, NYR, NYI
Washington, Carolina, Nashville, Tampa, Florida

The other 10 Western teams divied how they want them, by time zone(midwest/west coast) or by travel (north/south).

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:34 PM
Dupree13

I have no beef with the CBC proposal. Rivalries, whatever. It's not college football. They'd still play everybody.

My only thing is, please keep Detroit in the West. And it sounds like they are doing that. So I"m good with it.

Dupree13 is offline   Reply With Quote