HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Nyquist called up.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:49 PM
Jussha

vCash: 500
The lines I'd love to see for tomorrow's game

Flip Datsyuk Nyquist

Franzen Zetterberg Cleary (ideally but maybe not in his current injured state)

I don't care what the bottom 6 looks like lol

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:50 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

I doubt we see anything happen to the 3rd line. That line has been the only line that has been playing well.

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:51 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post
where is this quote from? I am even more excited now

If he plays well I think this also means he has surpassed Tatar as our top forward prospect
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....av_nyquis.html

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:51 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
That'd be my guess, we have the bottom 6 more than filled. Huds hasn't been able to hang in the top 6
You keep saying this, yet it is false. Hudler has played quite well in the limited time he has ever been given in a top six role. The key word there? Limited. He performed impressively during the time Datsyuk was out last year, and on Datsyuk's line last year. He did well the first few games of this season and has been one of the team's best forwards so far. It's not that he can't hang in the top six, it's that he's not given a chance to play in the top six. Think about it. Hudler has scored nearly 60 points at the NHL level, and Babcock refuses to play him in the top six. But Nyquist is going to be slotted right in. Why is that? Hudler works hard, he goes to the corners and the front of the net. He backchecks. The only thing he doesn't do that Babcock wants is be 6'2", 200lb. And that won't change. Hudler is easily one of the most offensively skilled forwards on a team that is having trouble scoring right now, yet Babcock refuses to use him much at ES or PP, and keeps bumping him down the lineup to play with less skilled players; preferring instead to use an injured Dan Cleary who is near-useless at both ends of the ice right now.

Quote:
so it makes sense to give Nyquist a shot on a scoring line. Bringing Nyquist up just to play 7 mins on the 4th line doesn't seem likely, but knowing the Wings they could give him very little ice time early on. I hope I'm wrong though and he's in the top 6.
Playing Nyquist on a scoring line makes perfect sense. He has speed and skill. But playing him over Hudler doesn't make sense. The six forwards who should be on the top two lines right now are Dats, Z, Franzen, Hudler, Flip, and Nyquist. Figure out your lines from that.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Jon Cusack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I do, too. I'm also wondering if we're going to see some lines we might not like, though. I have to wonder if Babcock is already going to decide that Helm isn't a third line center, and that we'll go back to Z-D-Flip-Helm up the middle.
I've been fiddling with lines too, and the idea of moving flip back to 3C and Helm back to the 4th. However, I do think Emmerton has been doing fine in that role though. Interesting to see what Babs is going to do.

Jon Cusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:02 PM
Datstromberg

Finally!!!!!!!

now lets pray babcock doesnt give him the hudler treatment, aka dropping him 2 lines down the roster after 1 bad shift.

Datstromberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:02 PM
TKB

vCash: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
This could be the line that sparks detroit goal scoring drought and very easily could be the line that helps Z get out of this funk...speaking of Z, whats going on w him? I wonder if he has a personal problem that he kept to himself. He is so private and soft spoken at times, the only thing that could be the problem, is a little off ice problem that will be resolved...or he could just need a player like Nyquist

When it comes to Z...the first assumption/ speculation should be that his back his acting up.

TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:03 PM
Jussha

i think it will be hard for nyquist to end up ever in Babcock's dog house and he more likely will become a babcock fan favorite for one main reason I think, the kid never seems to stop skating

i hope he really is motivated to show he belongs and does not lose that keep skating mentality

cant wait for tomorrow now

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:05 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Datsyuk and Nyquist should NOT play together. They have too similar play styles. Those two should be on lines 1 and two respectively

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:07 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datstromberg View Post
Finally!!!!!!!

now lets pray babcock doesnt give him the hudler treatment, aka dropping him 2 lines down the roster after 1 bad shift.
Nyquist is two inches taller, and is a faster skater. So Nyquist isn't in the doghouse if he's not scoring a point per game. Did anyone else here notice that? The first game Hudler didn't score a point (Washington loss) and dropped below 1 PPG, he was skating some time on the third line. Love it Babs. "Everyone on the team blew ass, most of all Conklin. Jiri, it's your fault."

Sounds about right.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:11 PM
Wingdings
game face

That's good news. Looking forward to see him play tomorrow.

Wingdings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:26 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Almost sounds too good to be true. All aboard the Bandwagon!!!

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:27 PM
SwedenCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Datsyuk and Nyquist should NOT play together. They have too similar play styles. Those two should be on lines 1 and two respectively
That's like saying "The Sedin's shouldn't play together their play styles are too similar".

2 players alike is often working pretty good, they can read eachother well make great plays. Atleast give it a try even though they're alike.

SwedenCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:28 PM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Coach Mike Babcock said he hadn't decided who Nyquist will play with, but he'll more than likely play on a top-two line with skilled players.
That's odd. I thought Babcock hated a) young players, b) offensive players, and c) rookies.

Weird. Him even talking about playing a young, rookie, offensive player sort of bucks that general preconception about Babcock.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:28 PM
Yemack

Z - Dats - Homer
Nyquist - Franzen - Bert
Abby - Flip - Hudler
Miller - Helm - Cleary

sadly im likely to miss most of the game

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:29 PM
Colton2233

Whats the info on the is kid? Fast skater, slapshot/wristshot power/acc? etc.. Thanks

Colton2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:31 PM
WorkingOvertime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
Z - Dats - Homer
Nyquist - Franzen - Bert
Abby - Flip - Hudler
Miller - Helm - Cleary
I think they will start Nyquist on the third line, and we will see a third scoring line. I have these lines, but who know with Babcock...

Huds- Dats- Cleary
Mule- Z- Bert
Nyquist- Flip- Abby
Eaves- Helm- Homer

WorkingOvertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:38 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingOvertime View Post
I think they will start Nyquist on the third line, and we will see a third scoring line. I have these lines, but who know with Babcock...

Huds- Dats- Cleary
Mule- Z- Bert
Nyquist- Flip- Abby
Eaves- Helm- Homer
why not go with what worked in preseason? whatever the case, I trust Babcock has reasons.

also my lineup deals with the fact that Minnesota is a bigger team who wants to slow the game down and makes you win the puck around the board.

Nyquist without bigger bodies around him against Wild could be pretty useless IMO.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:39 PM
wingz rule

I would love to see a Filppula-Datsyuk-Nyquist line tomorrow. That line would be gold

wingz rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:42 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Whale View Post
flipping finalyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...ive been backing his @$$ up all last week

this one is for you nyquist

on the other end....poor mursak, just for right now...speedy recovery kid, we need you..

here we go..red wings must be listening to us and our "pure goal scoring" talk
pfff, **** it, waive Miller or Emmerton. Nyquist is here to stay and Mursak gives Helm a run for his money (excuse the pun)

They need to inject some youth into this team and find some spark. And I am sure Nyquist is the best candidate for that. He'll be hungry to impress. Just don't put him on the fourth line, that will be an absolute waste. Play him in the top 6 and second PP unit and don't look back. I don't know who sits, Hudler, Cleary or someone else, I don't care, I'm so happy he's back.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Coach Mike Babcock said he hadn't decided who Nyquist will play with, but he'll more than likely play on a top-two line with skilled players.
Awesome. That's exactly what we need, a legit Top 6 forward.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:47 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colton2233 View Post
Whats the info on the is kid? Fast skater, slapshot/wristshot power/acc? etc.. Thanks
Played at the University of Maine where he was a Hobey Baker finalist his sophomore year. That award is given to the best player in college hockey. He actually was one of the three finalists, so he finished ahead of our top prospect Brendan Smith that season. Nyquist is a very good skater who has excellent hockey IQ and very good two-way play. He's a good scorer and passer. He studied economics in college so he's a bright kid.

He'll play on the wing and is in all likelihood our best prospect at forward since Zetterberg and Datsyuk.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:49 PM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Nyquist - Zetterberg - Franzen
Filppula - Datsyuk - Cleary
Abdelkader - Helm - Bertuzzi
Holmstrom - Emmerton - Eaves

Bench Miller and Hudler.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:49 PM
pdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedenCanada View Post
That's like saying "The Sedin's shouldn't play together their play styles are too similar".

2 players alike is often working pretty good, they can read eachother well make great plays. Atleast give it a try even though they're alike.
The Sedins aren't similar though. Henrik is a pure playmaker who has mediocre shooting skills. Daniel is a top-end sniper who is also a very good passer. They have also played together since forever.

Playing two players with their skill sets together makes perfect sense; it's not a Juneau/Oates type situation where you have two great passers on a line together; Oates posted 77 goals (45 and 32) in the two seasons he played with Juneau. He played 147 games with Juneau on his left side. Only once (25 goals in 61 games in 1990-91) did he hit 25 goals, and he was arguably the best center in the league that year playing with Brett Hull on his wing. He only scored 20 three other times in his entire career. 341 goals in over 1300 games. Over 1000 assists though.

Nyquist should be played on a line with Zetterberg and Franzen to start. Not because they're Swedes (although that's fun) but because he provides an element of speed and explosiveness to the line similar to what Cleary did when he had that spot. Hudler and Filppula both work extremely well with Datsyuk, and we've all been aching to see more skill players and less "sluggish filler" as some have descibed Holmstrom and Bertuzzi. Flip and Huds flanking Dats would be an excellent puck control line, and could turn out VERY well.
That leaves a bottom six which includes some amalgam of Helm, Cleary, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi, Holmstrom, Eaves, Emmerton, and Miller. I like to put it together as follows:

Cleary/Helm/Eaves
Holmstrom/Abs/Bert

I've wanted to see that third line put together all season. Especially given that Cleary hasn't been scoring; put him in a defensive role and take the scoring burden off of him.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:56 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
The rest of the NHL-GM's must think there is a Mad-Cow disease going on in Detroit now, when we are adding more younger players in the lineup.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote