HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

#11 Kings @ Avalanche 10/30/11 - POST GAME LOSS THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
10-31-2011, 03:25 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

vCash: 500
Another thing... the Avs consistently had 4 players back at the blue line whenever LA brought the puck up the ice. This is why they won the dump and chase war, as well as the board battles.

IIRC the Yotes did the same. LA is going to see a lot of that defensive system this year and needs to learn how to beat it.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:26 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
guys you know that there are lots of good teams in the NHL right, thats the whole point of the cap, it creates equal playing fields. There will only be 1 or 2 teams each year that stroll into the playoffs crushing everyone, every other team has to grind out games.

The Kings, are approx 60% to win each game on average. That will get you into the playoffs as a 4-5 seed. It also means you are going to lose lots of games you deserve to win
That's the part a lot of people are missing around the whole NHL. There are no easy points anymore (ask Detroit). The game is not played on paper.

Anyone that thought the Kings were going to crush teams (just got their reality check). You have to play the games.

And No team in the NHL is a pushover.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:28 PM
ZJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
That's the part a lot of people are missing around the whole NHL. There are no easy points anymore (ask Detroit). The game is not played on paper.

Anyone that thought the Kings were going to crush teams (just got their reality check). You have to play the games.

And No team in the NHL is a pushover.
So true. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night. This is probably why we have not seen back to back stanley cup champs in 15 years.

ZJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
The Kings were 12-3 last year and the same signs were around. Poor 5-on-5 offense. If you don't learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it. Kings only had 1 line producing last year during their fast start too.
As long as we are making cliches, "past performance doesn't guarantee future results". Anything is possible any year and I don't care who the coach of the team is, the team got better personnel this year and I feel they are a better team. Maybe they'll fall flat on their face in the first round? Maybe they don't even make it? But I think they have a better shot at advancing this year than any team I can remember in the past 20 years. I know all the old timers have seen and heard it all before, but if that is the case, and you know this song and dance, why watch? It is all about the ride. That is why I watch.

I really don't get the old and miserable around here. I've watched the Kings play like **** for so many years that all I care about now is just seeing a team that can make the playoffs year in and year out. If they get there, anything can happen. It doesn't matter if the Kings had an all star roster with Scotty Bowman coaching, that guarantees you nothing. The Yankees spend so much friggin money in baseball and get kicked in the first round and I think even missed the playoffs a few years in a row before that. As long as the Kings have a playoff caliber team, which I believe they do, I'm content. That is much better than drafting 2nd overall.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Judging from some of the comments I'm reading from reactionary posters, I am to assume that most of you think the NHL should hand over the Stanley Cup already to the Edmonton Oilers.
Pssht. Everybody knows it's going to the Leafs.

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:34 PM
damacles1156

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJames View Post
So true. Anyone can beat anyone on any given night. This is probably why we have not seen back to back stanley cup champs in 15 years.
That is exactly how the NHL wants it. They want Every fan base to feel as if there team has a shot at the Cup at some point.

The system rewards smart drafting and cap work. Not spending a bazillion dollars like the Yankees/Lakers.

Would it be nice if the Kings crushed everyone(you bet). But it's not going to happen, they are going to lose about 25 to 35 Games every year.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:39 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWest
Kings really did not deserve to lose that one. On a back to back against a rested team who got a lucky goal and a lot of calls in their favor. Kings still made it close. **** the Avs.
I disagree. I thought both teams played even, the shot total looks very deceiving. It was a great defensive game by both teams.
What exactly do you disagree with? Which the fact that LA played the night before in Phoenix? With the fact that the Kings doubled CO's shot total? That the Avs had 16 shots all game and sat back on D, relying on a lucky strange bounce of the end board for the deciding goal?

Old
10-31-2011, 03:41 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
That is exactly how the NHL wants it. They want Every fan base to feel as if there team has a shot at the Cup at some point.

The system rewards smart drafting and cap work. Not spending a bazillion dollars like the Yankees/Lakers.

Would it be nice if the Kings crushed everyone(you bet). But it's not going to happen, they are going to lose about 25 to 35 Games every year.
For me, it's not THAT they lost, but HOW they lost.

Old
10-31-2011, 04:20 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
As long as we are making cliches, "past performance doesn't guarantee future results". Anything is possible any year and I don't care who the coach of the team is, the team got better personnel this year and I feel they are a better team. Maybe they'll fall flat on their face in the first round? Maybe they don't even make it? But I think they have a better shot at advancing this year than any team I can remember in the past 20 years. I know all the old timers have seen and heard it all before, but if that is the case, and you know this song and dance, why watch? It is all about the ride. That is why I watch.

I really don't get the old and miserable around here. I've watched the Kings play like **** for so many years that all I care about now is just seeing a team that can make the playoffs year in and year out. If they get there, anything can happen. It doesn't matter if the Kings had an all star roster with Scotty Bowman coaching, that guarantees you nothing. The Yankees spend so much friggin money in baseball and get kicked in the first round and I think even missed the playoffs a few years in a row before that. As long as the Kings have a playoff caliber team, which I believe they do, I'm content. That is much better than drafting 2nd overall.
You know what Buddy? Get the hell off my lawn!!!

You're right. It is all about the ride. I have enjoyed this rebuild and the team is starting to come of age. It's all good right now.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:30 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Diehard and Zad are definitely still Kings' fans. They just don't have the time to come in here like they did before.

You know Zad has his own blog about the Kings, right?

Which top coach that is available would you suggest? I know that TM isn't the most dynamic personality, but I think that prior to this season he is exactly what the young players needed. A coach that stresses fundamentals and never lets them get too high or too low.
Had some time on my hands last week when away on business and gave that some thought and really couldn't come up with a name coach that wasn't working but I am not paid to find that GUY and would think there are minor or junior coaches that might fill that spot much like BB/Wash. who would be known with the GM'S....and for the record I am not unhappy with TM just do not believe his style will get us there but WILL gladly buy a round when /if he does

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughtybetterbemoney View Post
Okay I'm going to stop even trying to debate. Some of you guys are ****ing crazy and if the Kings won a Stanley cup and went 16-1 90 percent of you would ***** about that one loss. This place is a zoo man. Some of you guys (as you've already discussed in this thread, sadly) probably should stop following hockey and should start following the UFC or something. Or the Ducks. Maybe if a large contingent of upset Kings fans joined the Ducks they could boost the collective IQ of that fanbase.
I was just comiserating with a fellow fan who has probably spent thousands of dollards and tens of thousands of hours watching and following our favorite passion and has easily earned the right to ***** a little when we play poorly and uninspired, which in this system if we are not fore and back checking with abandon leads to losses, and for the record I love ufc and am sure that if we do faulter this year you will slowly disappear from our bandwagon that has brought so many new faces here. and it is funny that someone with a DD better be money name would say anything about others complaining when that in itself is a *****

Last edited by yankeeking: 10-31-2011 at 04:39 PM. Reason: niceness
yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote