HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach?

View Poll Results: Do you like Jacques Martin as Habs coach?
Yes 105 42.00%
No 145 58.00%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Craig71

vCash: 500
I forget about him when we are winning games.

I remember who he is when we go on a 5 game losing streak.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:22 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Detroit is a puck possession team. So is Pittsburgh.

The Canadiens are a long way away from being called a puck possession team.
The stats thus far in the season disagree with you. Whether or not they keep it up is left to speculation as of now.

But the stats are telling. We shoot a lot and don't get outshot ever. If there are so much better possession teams out there why are we 3rd in shots against?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Detroit is a puck possession team. So is Pittsburgh.

The Canadiens are a long way away from being called a puck possession team.
You're a long way from knowing what you're talking about.

FYI, ES GF/GA ratios :
Mtl 6th with 1,24 ratio, Detroit 17th with 1,00 ratio, Pitts 19th with 0,91 ratio

SOG/SOGA ratio :
Det +8,9, Mtl +6,2, Pitts +3,7

A puck possesion team shoots more than it's opponent (check) and usually has a good ES ratio (check).

And if you simply watch the games, it is highly obvious they are a puck possesion team, and the fact you don't see it makes me question your ability at analyzing hockey.

Last edited by Ozymandias: 10-31-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:33 PM
SerialSeb

Voted yes but only because he did manage to win with the team we have.
I just don't personnaly like his style and the way he manages the players.

SerialSeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:00 PM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Poll seriously needs a middle option.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
This. However, I have supported JM from the day we hired him and continue to do so. There is nothing he has shown me that does not deserve my support.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:28 PM
la25ecoupe

i hate the fact that he keeps
changing lines.

just put patches eller ak and stick with it

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:29 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
i hate the fact that he keeps
changing lines.

just put patches eller ak and stick with it
and yet, you want him to change a line that is working well (Moen, AK, Eller) ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:34 PM
AllanMTL46

Not the biggest fan of his system and the way he manages the lines and the PP. I also prefer coaches that are active behind the bench and with their players, what he is clearly not, but still, I can do with him and as long as we are not real awful for a long time, I won't put the blame on him. Therefore, no answer.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Not a huge fan of his system or how he sometimes chooses lines, but what he's done with the team he's been given is quite good.

Captain Smurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:22 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Agreed...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:29 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

So everyone seems to have a very negative view of "changing lines". Isn't one of the coaches responsibilities to get chamestry going between lines? When we win games, are the lines changed frequently? When we lose games, is that not possibly the sign that a given line is not producing ? (reasons come to mind would be execution between players of that line and inefficiency of given line to play against given opposition) thus managing lines (putting "energy" players in a strugelling line) according to given game and given opposition. Have you guys visited any other fan board when that team is loosing? number 1 complaint is about coach juggling lines and putting 3d/4th liners in last 2 min of game (loosing),judging but what i have read so far. Having read bruins/leafs board more often the others (especially when one of them is loosing streak), that is the number 1 complaint posters have, and never seem to realize the existents and importance of the line juggling. Seems to me alot you guys are criticing something every coach does and has to do in a losing position.

And know, a motivational speech or touch of affection will not get a certain player/line going again, needs a bit more then that, thus the line juggling.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Lshap

His system works. We don't have superstars, so until we get a Crosby or Stamkos, Martin's team-based system is what will win games for our roster.

I don't buy into the idea that a bad five or six games is a reason to derail that system. It was hell around here one week ago, but players and Martin knew there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the team, that it would just take a bit of defense seasoning and adjustment time to right the ship.

I also don't buy this whole thing about needing tougher players than what we have. This had more credibility last year, but now we have Cole, Pacioretty and a surprisingly enthusiastic Nokeleinin (sp?). We're tough. We also have a defense that's improving with each week. By playoff time (cross fingers), add Diaz, Campoli and a healthy Gorges and Markov to the mix and we'll have the toughness of youthful stamina combined with veteran skill.

The only problem I have is JM's fetish for line changes. Don't get it.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:58 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
His system works. We don't have superstars, so until we get a Crosby or Stamkos, Martin's team-based system is what will win games for our roster.

I don't buy into the idea that a bad five or six games is a reason to derail that system. It was hell around here one week ago, but players and Martin knew there was nothing fundamentally wrong with the team, that it would just take a bit of defense seasoning and adjustment time to right the ship.

I also don't buy this whole thing about needing tougher players than what we have. This had more credibility last year, but now we have Cole, Pacioretty and a surprisingly enthusiastic Nokeleinin (sp?). We're tough. We also have a defense that's improving with each week. By playoff time (cross fingers), add Diaz, Campoli and a healthy Gorges and Markov to the mix and we'll have the toughness of youthful stamina combined with veteran skill.

The only problem I have is JM's fetish for line changes. Don't get it.
Diaz is tough? First time hearing

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Having watched the Leafs-Sens game yesterday, it reminded me why a defensively sound and responsible system, such as JM's, should be appreciated. If I were a Leafs or Sens fan, I would have been pulling my hair out every 5 minutes.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:45 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Diaz is tough? First time hearing
Not tough as in 'big and likes to fight'. Tough as in 'stamina'. He's young, a good skater, with tons more energy than our older guys. Our downfall in the playoffs has been a drop-off in energy; we just looked tired by game 7 last year. Our stay-at-home older defensemen, Hamrlik, Spacek and Gill, were done. Talented new blood like Diaz can hopefully bring some staying power on the D, with a healthy Gorges and Campoli. Maybe Emelin, if he keeps improving and someone else falters.

Brad Marchand was 'tough' in the same way last year, and became more and more important to the Bruins as the playoffs went on, because of his youth and stamina.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
Obviously, no coach is either simply all good or all bad. Bill Belicheck was a disaster in Cleveland,etc. Coaches have some skills, lack others. Martin is an excellent pro coach with a comprehensive system that keeps his teams from having terrible ups and downs and that can pay off, with hot goaltending, against superior skill, as we saw two years ago. But his system is designed not to lose, rather than to win. Like all "small ball" coaches, there's not much he can do when he's faced with power -- whether long ball in baseball or heavy forechecking, high skill forwards in hockey. He shows no signs of being able to coach a team to a championship, rather than to just a steady level of competence, in part because he doesn't adjust his system to his talent. Scotty Bowman was a mean sob who ran a system, too -- but he recognized specific talents when they were presented, and used them : he didn't ask Lafleur or Larouche to back check. Martin's handling of Kostitsyn , et al has been just horrific, refusing to take one step back to take two forward. He prefers the Moens and Darches of the world because they're reliable, conscientious and do what they're told. But no one's ever won a Cup with only those kinds of payers.
I wish I'd have written this.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 04:59 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
You're a long way from knowing what you're talking about.

FYI, ES GF/GA ratios :
Mtl 6th with 1,24 ratio, Detroit 17th with 1,00 ratio, Pitts 19th with 0,91 ratio

SOG/SOGA ratio :
Det +8,9, Mtl +6,2, Pitts +3,7

A puck possesion team shoots more than it's opponent (check) and usually has a good ES ratio (check).

And if you simply watch the games, it is highly obvious they are a puck possesion team, and the fact you don't see it makes me question your ability at analyzing hockey.
Oh, OK. Sure. Those passes to nowhere really do not matter. We are a better passing team and puck controlling team than Detroit and Pittsburgh.

Perimeter shots are fantastic. One shot and done from the outside is a fantastic statistic which measures possession.

We have no problem keeping teams pinned down in their zone for the entire 2 minutes of a power play.

Nope, dont know anything about hockey.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Oh, OK. Sure. Those passes to nowhere really do not matter. We are a better passing team and puck controlling team than Detroit and Pittsburgh.

Perimeter shots are fantastic. One shot and done from the outside is a fantastic statistic which measures possession.

We have no problem keeping teams pinned down in their zone for the entire 2 minutes of a power play.

On most nights, 2/3 of Habs shots are inside the perimeter, they spend more time with puck possession than the other way around (go look at the game shot charts on NHL.com. You can twist reality all you like, but the reality is, it's quite evident you don't watch Pittsburgh and Detroit play, and that you are blind to anything the Habs do good.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:29 PM
neofury*

Quote:

Obviously everyone is bias whether it's in favor or against our management, team, whatever. However you're clearly taking anti-team bias to an all new level disputing against facts that are so clear as day obvious.

Am I saying the habs have never once made a mistake? No of course not. We're still according to NHL one of the best thus far this year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:35 PM
habs101

Absolutely not, he is not a great coach. a great coach reads his team, assesses the players he has and goes with a system that best reflects his team, in this instance, we have a coach forcing a stupid too defensive style (alla Jersey) which I know worked very well over there, but we have a much more offensive minded team, with players full of talent. All this talent is going to waste, this is the way I see it. Hopefully he has learned over the past 3 games that he needs to impliment a more balanced system, not saying to have no D either, but just a balance, let our offensive players play... stop holding back our players...... anyways, I voted no, was hoping for a few more losses and he would have been out of there, along with his good buddy Gauthier.

habs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Kirk Muller

Personally i am not a fan of his. I dislike the passive, no tempo approach that he instills in the team. I do not like how he handles most younger players. Most seem to succeed in spite of Jacques, not because he properly developes them.

However he in general is good for a team needing structure but i dont think he is the coach that will get you to the next level and win you a Cup. I see him as a coach who will always have a job because he is good at taking average teams and instilling a good defensive system that will allow the team to sneak into the playoffs somehow.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:20 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Obviously everyone is bias whether it's in favor or against our management, team, whatever. However you're clearly taking anti-team bias to an all new level disputing against facts that are so clear as day obvious.

Am I saying the habs have never once made a mistake? No of course not. We're still according to NHL one of the best thus far this year.
nm...

Last edited by SouthernHab: 11-02-2011 at 08:35 PM.
SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Habskrieg

I like the defensive system. Not really liking our special units, atm. Really don't like how JM manages and represents our players on and off ice.

Habskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 08:32 PM
TheWhiteIdea

Negative

TheWhiteIdea is offline   Reply With Quote