HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Claude Lemieux = HHOF?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-02-2005, 09:28 AM
  #101
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,503
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra
sorry....but I have to go out on a limb here and guess you never watched Phil Esposito play
No, I started watching hockey in the 80's as a kid, but, I do remember seeing Lemieux play, and people talking about how he was making a mockery of the game. I know that diving was a part of the game before, but, from everything that I could gather, he was stretching the limits of what was acceptable moreso than anyone else before him.

I very well could be wrong, but, that's how I interpreted things watching hockey. It wouldn't be the first time that broadcasters blow things out of proportion, but, as someone who grew up watching him, from what we heard, he was a notch below committing war crimes.

discostu is offline  
Old
11-02-2005, 10:04 AM
  #102
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo
Actually, Forsberg has accomplished enough, when healthy, to be in the Hall. Lindros has not.
It all depends on who we're comparing them to. I agree that Lindros shouldn't be in the Hall, but if you compare him to Neely it isn't close.

Lindros was significantly better than Neely.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 08:39 AM
  #103
Huge Jackman
Really, I'm fine....
 
Huge Jackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Royal Oak
Country: Australia
Posts: 1,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
14. What impact did the player have on hockey history? Was he responsible for any rule changes? Did he introduce any new equipment? Did he change the game in any way?

His hit on Kris Draper ignited the fiercest rivalry in hockey in the late 90s.

Comments, corrections and constructive critism are always welcomed.
The hit on Draper only ignited an intense hatred for Lemieux in the heart of every Detroit player and fan. That score was settled by McCarty in grand fashion in the regular season the next year. End of story.

The rivalry goes on long after Lemieux, and (sadly) McCarty. The rivalry is based on two very similar, very good teams battling it out on the ice. as they always have. The rivalry is what's good about hockey. What Lemieux did to Draper had nothing to do with the rivalry, it was the gutless act of one man, and it is everything bad about hockey. The last thing we should do is reward that kind of behaviour by putting Lemieux in the Hall of Fame.

Huge Jackman is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 09:20 AM
  #104
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,619
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
It all depends on who we're comparing them to. I agree that Lindros shouldn't be in the Hall, but if you compare him to Neely it isn't close.

Lindros was significantly better than Neely.
Amen to that. It's like the Lindros argument exists in two different worlds. He's been significantly better than a number of guys already in the hall, as well as Pavel Bure who most seemed to want in there judging by the recent thread on the NHL Talk board. And who knows...it looks like he's back with something to prove this season

arrbez is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 10:59 AM
  #105
lemieux32*
 
lemieux32*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,280
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by five4fighting
The hit on Draper only ignited an intense hatred for Lemieux in the heart of every Detroit player and fan. That score was settled by McCarty in grand fashion in the regular season the next year. End of story.

The rivalry goes on long after Lemieux, and (sadly) McCarty. The rivalry is based on two very similar, very good teams battling it out on the ice. as they always have. The rivalry is what's good about hockey. What Lemieux did to Draper had nothing to do with the rivalry, it was the gutless act of one man, and it is everything bad about hockey. The last thing we should do is reward that kind of behaviour by putting Lemieux in the Hall of Fame.
While the hit by Lemieux was not clean it was not the horror some people make it out to be. If it had occured on a section of the boards where there was glass there would have been no injuries to Draper (talk about gutless punks, Draper is at the top of the list). I find it interesting that McCarty settled the score by jumping someone and smashing his face into the boards. A lot of class by McCarty. Of course the Lemieux haters fail to mention that Lemieux came back and said let's go at the opening faceoff of a subsequent and the two had a good fight. Convenient memories some people have.

lemieux32* is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 12:27 PM
  #106
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32
It's funny how many of the No responses are totally based on "cheap shots" or being a pest or things like that. I'm glad you guys aren't HOF voters or a lot of great players (ask anyone about Howe and cheap shots) would never get in.

In that note, I agree with you. That hit certainly shouldn't have any bearing.

Transported Upstater is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 03:59 PM
  #107
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransportedUpstater
In that note, I agree with you. That hit certainly shouldn't have any bearing.
Eddie Shore ended one time NHL scoring leader Ace Bailey's career and Bailey had done nothing to him. Shore still made it to the Hall.

Chili is offline  
Old
11-03-2005, 04:03 PM
  #108
Transported Upstater
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Take care, all. :)
Country: United States
Posts: 22,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili
Eddie Shore ended one time NHL scoring leader Ace Bailey's career and Bailey had done nothing to him. Shore still made it to the Hall.

Exactly.


Although Shore was an AMAZING player...it has always been difficult for a defenseman to win the MVP, and he did it several times. He was far, FAR better than many of the guys in the Hall now.

Boston's top 3 all-time defensemen are Orr, Shore and Bourque...Not many teams can compete with that...

Transported Upstater is offline  
Old
11-08-2005, 11:11 AM
  #109
Glen Erickson
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Glen Erickson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
IMO...

Based on merit...winning championships and being a key contributor in the process...ABSOLUTELY!

How has Lemieux contributed over the years "off the ice"? We don't seem to hear about this.

If the HHOF admission process is, in effect, a 'popularity contest', he unfortunately doesn't have a sniff...

__________________
@glenerickson51
Glen Erickson is offline  
Old
11-08-2005, 02:16 PM
  #110
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieux32
While the hit by Lemieux was not clean it was not the horror some people make it out to be. If it had occured on a section of the boards where there was glass there would have been no injuries to Draper
I recall one highlight showing a more dangerous looking hit earlier in the week by Eric Lindros SQUARE from behind rather than on an ANGLE like Lemieux's hit. The Draper injury was more unfortunate than reflective of the hit.

Quote:
Lemieux came back and said let's go at the opening faceoff of a subsequent and the two had a good fight. Convenient memories some people have.
Yes, I call it THE DON CHERRY EFFECT. That man is as myopic as they come and he kept making his biased rants after rants after rants about Claude. It's amazing how much he stirred the pot on the issue.

VanIslander is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.