HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

is toronto back in the running?

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Mr Sakich

vCash: 500
is toronto back in the running?

In an unbeleivably shocking turn of events, Nik Antropov is out indefinately with a separated shoulder. His injury is surprising ONLY because it is upper body this time. With their payroll and age, there is no way they can go into the playoffs with a glass figurene as their 2nd line centre.

A few weeks ago, I predicted that Toronto would be the team and maybe this injury provides the impetus to get the deal done. Rumours have it that he is looking at Jagr so you know they can afford whatever comrie is asking.

Comrie plus a third for Coliocovo and a first.

If lowe thinks coliocovo canmke the oilers, then maybe he does something like

comrie + smith for Coliocovo, Bell, and a first

Old
10-29-2003, 10:47 AM
Slats432

Trading the captain and the 23 year old 30 goal scorer for a couple prospects and a pick....BRUTAL. The Leafs have very little we want and we make terrible trading partners.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:58 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

the only thing I'd want coming back from Toronto is Antropov and/or Colaiacovo...and since Antropov is out of the equation, it only leaves Cola, but I think more should be coming our way for this trade to happen.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:05 AM
vb

Another guy to look at is Stajan, but he's not really a proven commodity.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:05 AM
J.P

How bout Kaberle and Bell for Comrie?

Old
10-29-2003, 11:15 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Ya, T.O doesnt have too much I want, Colliacavo and Ian White are the only prospects I'm interested in. And all there half decent roster guys are either too expensive or too old or injury prone, or all three.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Mr Sakich

this irks me to no end, but I think they have one of the 10 best groups of young defensemen of any team in the nhl. The only decent prospects they have are defensemen and that is what the oilers could be looking at.

IMO, they make pretty decent trade partners.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:42 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich
this irks me to no end, but I think they have one of the 10 best groups of young defensemen of any team in the nhl. The only decent prospects they have are defensemen and that is what the oilers could be looking at.

doesn't sound like anyone else is agreeing with you.

Let me put it this way. I think most of the league is agreed that Toronto has a very thin blueline. Colo couldn't even crack that awful top 6 in TO. what does that say?

Old
10-29-2003, 01:40 PM
Slats432

Quote:

I don't want you to get mad at me but when you are trying to trade our captain and top center for two blueline prospects and a pick, you aren't going to get any support from anyone with half a brain.

The deal has to bring back and under 25 year old established forward or blueliner, and a decent prospect or pick. I know we are on HF, but in this situation, we don't need prospects.

Old
10-29-2003, 01:41 PM
Mr Sakich

it says the same thing that mact said when he sat demenov to start the year, or hemky last year. Quinn does not like kids, especially on his blue line.

In Toronto, the pressure to perform is unbelievable and most rookie dmen are crushed by the media attention and intense scrutiny. Other than Kabere, how many dmen have they developed in the last 10 years?

How many have thery traded away to become good dmen elsewhere?

Old
10-29-2003, 01:46 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
it says the same thing that mact said when he sat demenov to start the year, or hemky last year. Quinn does not like kids, especially on his blue line.

In Toronto, the pressure to perform is unbelievable and most rookie dmen are crushed by the media attention and intense scrutiny. Other than Kabere, how many dmen have they developed in the last 10 years?

How many have thery traded away to become good dmen elsewhere?
Does that have to do with the pressure, or being finally given a chance... I mean the Oilers got Smith basically for free, and later that week, he was one of the Oilers better defensemen...

I don't think the Oilers developed him in a week, they just gave him a chance.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:28 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Well even if we got him, there wouldn't be much room for Colaiacovo. So what about something like:
Colaiacovo, first, Roberts, fourth
for
Comrie, Ferguson, Chimera

Would something like that work?
Of course we'd need the Leafs to eat a chunk of Roberts salary - say 2 million bucks. Roberts is exactly what we need up front, and Carlo is deserving of a 6-7th Dman job. for the future our blueline would be completely set!
Brewer-Colaiacovo
Semenov-Bergeron
Lynch-Greene

I sure like the looks of the potential of those guys!
as for the present our lines:
Roberts-Smyth-Hemsky
Isbister-Horcoff-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-York
Torres-Stoll-Laraque

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Colaiacovo
Cross-Bergeron

Then once Roberts retires, that will leave us a spot for Rita to have.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:51 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Then once Roberts retires, that will leave us a spot for Rita to have.
Why would you trade a player that has a return of 10 plus years in the league for a player that will probably retire once the lock out starts?

We won't win the cup this year so why give Comrie to a team that will have him for ten years when we don't get enough short term return and zero long term return?

Old
10-29-2003, 03:43 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue
Why would you trade a player that has a return of 10 plus years in the league for a player that will probably retire once the lock out starts?

We won't win the cup this year so why give Comrie to a team that will have him for ten years when we don't get enough short term return and zero long term return?
BECAUSE WE ARE GETTING A FUTURE TOP PAIRING OFFENSIVE TWO WAY BLUELINER AND A FIRST ROUND PICK!!!! As if it's hard to see we don't lose out in youth in this deal!

Old
10-29-2003, 03:59 PM
Cerebral

I don't understand why people keep putting Ferguson in deals.. he has absolutely no trade value to any other team in the league but is a very valuable seventh d-man for our team! I see no reason to move him.. if a team is willing to make a deal with Ferguson in it, they'll likely make the identical deal with him removed.. Colaicovo would not be a second pairing d-man for us this year.. he didn't even crack Toronto's top 6! While he has a lot of potential, I don't think he's any more advanced than Bergeron or Semenov at this point. Likewise, I see no reason for the Oilers to try and obtain Roberts.. he's the kind of player you add if you think you have a good shot at the Stanley Cup. Why rent him for a year then likely lose him to retirement? While Colaicovo would be nice, I can think of a lot of players I'd rather have in the deal than Gary Roberts.

Closed Thread