HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

GMs call for mandatory visors (from the Leafs board)

Old
10-29-2011, 12:56 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

vCash: 500
GMs call for mandatory visors (from the Leafs board)

Quote:
Toronto Maple Leafs GM Brian Burke, who was in attendance at the game Monday and had Pronger on his team when the Anaheim Ducks won the Stanley Cup four years ago, agrees.

“Visors should be mandatory for all defencemen, at the least,” Burke said, adding that blueliners are at “a far greater risk” of being hit in the face by a puck because of all the deflections in front of the net.

“I’d want to hear the GMs out on the larger topic [of everyone having to wear them], but I think I would support Homer.” The turning point for Burke on the issue came in 2006, when Ducks prospect Jordan Smith lost his eye after he was hit by a deflected puck. The injury haunted some of his teammates for years afterwards, with Carolina Hurricanes centre Tim Brent saying recently that Smith’s eye “looked like a squashed grape.”

His pro hockey career was over, at 20, and after Burke visited him several times in hospital, the veteran GM’s mind was made up.

“I don’t want to stand in a hospital room like that ever again,” Burke said at the time.
Globe and Mail (Toronto newspaper)

I agree with Burke, they should be mandatory for all defencemen.

I don't know why players/ fans are making excuses for not wearing visors, it get foggy, blah, blah, blah. Would they rather lose an eye, as Berard & Ducks prospect Jordan Smith did.

- Sept 11/11 @ Toronto International Film Festival.
http://www.daylife.com/topic/Bryan_B...__site=daylife

The best players in today's game wear them;

Ovechkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins, Patrick Kane, Erik Johnson, Rick Nash all wear visors doesn't
seem to bother them.

Wake up everyone, vision now & in the future is far more imporant then any game.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:05 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

wow, I'm surprised No posts. I thought there would be posts in the thread about what people think if visors should be mandatory or not.

LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:46 PM
decadentia

Being mandatory for defensemen...no issue with it whatsoever personally. Do it up, saves us a Captain.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:52 PM
Haute Couturier

I am definitely for mandatory visors. I know most would think I'm crazy, but I don't understand why full cages aren't used to protect from all facial injuries. I don't know why it's acceptable for players to lose teeth from a puck to the mouth.

Teams need to protect their assets. Not wearing a visor can be costly as we are seeing with Pronger out of the lineup.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Yeah.

A minor inconvenience to diminish the risk of damaging an extremely sensitive part of your body.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 03:26 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I am definitely for mandatory visors. I know most would think I'm crazy, but I don't understand why full cages aren't used to protect from all facial injuries. I don't know why it's acceptable for players to lose teeth from a puck to the mouth.

Teams need to protect their assets. Not wearing a visor can be costly as we are seeing with Pronger out of the lineup.
+1

Players wear full cages at the youth/high school/college level. Why take them off when you start to get paid to play where one stray puck could end your career?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:31 PM
SgtJoseph

I do not think its any of my business if any player decides to or not to wear a helmet, visor, cage, etc.I live in Florida, where a motorcycle helmet helmet is not mandatory.I ride my Harley just about every day, and i do wear a helmet, but many of my buddies do not, which is their choice in my opinion.I hate BIG GOVERMENT getting involved in my business, and my life etc. Lewis and Clark made one heck of a Journey years ago with out goverment health care,welfare,osha,and all the other nonsense that destroys a persons sense of self reliance etc.Players should decide what they need to wear, its their life,and their decision.....Skates cut throats, whats next ?[roller blades? ]

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:22 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
I do not think its any of my business if any player decides to or not to wear a helmet, visor, cage, etc.I live in Florida, where a motorcycle helmet helmet is not mandatory.I ride my Harley just about every day, and i do wear a helmet, but many of my buddies do not, which is their choice in my opinion.I hate BIG GOVERMENT getting involved in my business, and my life etc. Lewis and Clark made one heck of a Journey years ago with out goverment health care,welfare,osha,and all the other nonsense that destroys a persons sense of self reliance etc.Players should decide what they need to wear, its their life,and their decision.....Skates cut throats, whats next ?[roller blades? ]
It's completely different, though. If you don't wear a helmet riding your motorcycle and knock yourself in to a concussion, the only person that loses is you.

If you're a player that's paid millions by somebody to *not* get injured and be a part of their payroll, they have every right to tell you to suit up and be as protected as possible. If you don't wear a helmet playing hockey and get a concussion, the team still has to pay you (or, at least, in some form). It's not just you that suffers, but somebody who's paying you to play.

Injuries happen and teams accept that risk - but players need to be willing to accept in that case that teams DO have a say in what they wear, protection-wise.

Otherwise, let's do this. Players play for millions, assuming all the risk. If you get a concussion for not wearing something that the team asks you to wear, your salary is void until you return.

That's fair, right? Let's see how that one goes over.

thedjpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:17 AM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

they should do the same thing they did with helmets, all new players HAVE to wear them but players in the league before the rule have a choice

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:29 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
they should do the same thing they did with helmets, all new players HAVE to wear them but players in the league before the rule have a choice
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. These guys ALL grow up wearing full fqace shields as kids and it's not until juniors where they can take off the face guards I believe.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:19 AM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. These guys ALL grow up wearing full fqace shields as kids and it's not until juniors where they can take off the face guards I believe.
Full Cage is mandatory until Junior level (In Canada) at which point you can wear a Visor, which is the mandatory MINIMUM facial protection. AHL is minimum Visor as well.

These guys say it affects their play, their role etc, well it didnt affect you getting to the NHL, so it shouldnt affect you while you are here.

Grandfathering it in is the only way I can see it being well received by the players. Those who currently wear one must continue so, and those who are not wearing one, once they put it on in a game must continue so.

I support mandatory visor though, and wouldnt be opposed to the rule starting when ever they decide with ALL players, no grand fathering in, though that is likely the only way.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Eh, should be up to the players. Yes it is more dangerous to play without one, but I can only think of a handful of injuries where wearing a visor really would have made a difference.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:44 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Eh, should be up to the players. Yes it is more dangerous to play without one, but I can only think of a handful of injuries where wearing a visor really would have made a difference.
That's why they should be wearing full cages.

And, no, it should not be up to the players. Players work for their respective teams and, just like any other job, the employers should be able to dictate safety rules for their staff.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:21 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
That's why they should be wearing full cages.

And, no, it should not be up to the players. Players work for their respective teams and, just like any other job, the employers should be able to dictate safety rules for their staff.
That's what the Union is for. If the Union approves it, then ok. Obviously not everyone will agree with what the Union does, but it sounds like most of the players don't want it. Will probably be an issue for the next CBA.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post
It's completely different, though. If you don't wear a helmet riding your motorcycle and knock yourself in to a concussion, the only person that loses is you.

If you're a player that's paid millions by somebody to *not* get injured and be a part of their payroll, they have every right to tell you to suit up and be as protected as possible. If you don't wear a helmet playing hockey and get a concussion, the team still has to pay you (or, at least, in some form). It's not just you that suffers, but somebody who's paying you to play.

Injuries happen and teams accept that risk - but players need to be willing to accept in that case that teams DO have a say in what they wear, protection-wise.

Otherwise, let's do this. Players play for millions, assuming all the risk. If you get a concussion for not wearing something that the team asks you to wear, your salary is void until you return.

I completely agree with this. Losing a player like Pronger to a preventable injury can really hurt a team's chances. Teams have the right to request their players to wear protective gear.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:53 AM
ORYX

I wonder if this is something a team can implement as its own policy? Similar to media policies, travel policies etc. Could they theoretically avoid the union by implementing a Visor policy?

I am not suggesting they do this, just curious if it is even possible? or if it's possible to implement a clause into contracts stating that if you do not wear a visor and suffer eye/facial injuries your subsequent absense will not be paid? Same could be the theoretical case for fighting, you want to fight sure, go for it, but if you lose your helmet and suffer any head/facial injury then sorry about your luck.

Just curious, like I said, Not saying these would work or should be implemented, just throwing out a random thought.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:48 AM
kicksave27

As long as your cage has white bars, won't even notice it's there.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:50 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORYX View Post
I wonder if this is something a team can implement as its own policy? Similar to media policies, travel policies etc. Could they theoretically avoid the union by implementing a Visor policy?

I am not suggesting they do this, just curious if it is even possible? or if it's possible to implement a clause into contracts stating that if you do not wear a visor and suffer eye/facial injuries your subsequent absense will not be paid? Same could be the theoretical case for fighting, you want to fight sure, go for it, but if you lose your helmet and suffer any head/facial injury then sorry about your luck.

Just curious, like I said, Not saying these would work or should be implemented, just throwing out a random thought.
I think it would depend on how upset the NHLPA was with the change or if there is anything in the CBA about equipment requirements. If there is something in the CBA saying owners can require equipment then obviously it would be fine. If there is nothing and the players were unhappy, the union could sue. Whether they won or not would be up in the air. Would come down to whether or not requiring visors was a change in working conditions.

Old
11-01-2011, 12:02 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think it would depend on how upset the NHLPA was with the change or if there is anything in the CBA about equipment requirements. If there is something in the CBA saying owners can require equipment then obviously it would be fine. If there is nothing and the players were unhappy, the union could sue. Whether they won or not would be up in the air. Would come down to whether or not requiring visors was a change in working conditions.
I believe the CBA specifically prohibits things like this. I think that teams can have certain off-ice rules/policies (such as dress code while traveling with the team, etc) but that things like mandatory visors can only be a directive from the league, not individual teams. Again, it's been a while since I read through the CBA but I seem to remember it being this way.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
I believe the CBA specifically prohibits things like this. I think that teams can have certain off-ice rules/policies (such as dress code while traveling with the team, etc) but that things like mandatory visors can only be a directive from the league, not individual teams. Again, it's been a while since I read through the CBA but I seem to remember it being this way.
Yeah I actually just looked it up. Section 22.1 says the Player/Club Competition Committee sets the standards for equipment so it won't just be a league mandate unless the Competition Committee agrees on it (which is made up of players and the owners). So basically no unilateral requirement of visors by owners is allowed.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
As long as your cage has white bars, won't even notice it's there.
That's pretty far from true, though.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:11 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedjpd View Post

i agree with you, i was only stating that it is none of MY business whether players wear a visor etc.Many folks on here act like its THEIR business as to whether an NHL player wears a visor etc. If the owners or the league decide it will be required equiptment then the players witll either have to comply or work else where, its their choice.i

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
i agree with you, i was only stating that it is none of MY business whether players wear a visor etc.Many folks on here act like its THEIR business as to whether an NHL player wears a visor etc. If the owners or the league decide it will be required equiptment then the players witll either have to comply or work else where, its their choice.i
CBA says the competition committee decides, which is made up of players and owners. I don't think it will be mandatory (at least not for a while) because it seems like the players are mostly not in favor of them. Guess we'll have to wait until next offseason.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:28 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

The league brought in mandatory helmets; they can bring in mandatory visors.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:36 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
There was once a time when goalie masks were scoffed at. Now they're seen as common sense.