HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2011-2012 Washington Capitals Prospects Thread

Old
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
hyzer23

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Not so sure he'd start on top two lines if semin is around. Perhaps on the 4th line with mp in a limited role during ES and some pp opportunities. Perhaps some second line fillin during sob time.

who else would play in the top six other than kuzy? you could move brouwer to the 4th line...or third...i like mojo semin and kuzy on line 2....thats tastes nice

ovi-nicky-brouwer/kuzy/mp85
semin-mojo-kuzy/mp85/knubs(if he's still around)
chimchim(if he's still around) - brooksy - Ward
Hendricks - mp85 - someone else/maybe beagle/halpern(if he's still around)

hyzer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Cush
-inator

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 02:26 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
What are Kuznetsov's stats to date?

10-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
What are Kuznetsov's stats to date?
18 games in: (avg 17:34 TOI)

Leads the team in goals and tied for the lead in overall scoring

KHL: 21st in Points / Tied for 2nd in goals (tied with 8 other players, leader has 10). Leads with 4 GWG

9 goals / 4 assists / +4
6 ESG / 3 PPG / 4 GWG (+1 shootout winner)
SOG% 16.4 (55 shots)
54.4% Face Offs (6 for 11)
10 PIM

Last edited by Cush: 10-27-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Old
10-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
Not so sure he'd start on top two lines if semin is around. Perhaps on the 4th line with mp in a limited role during ES and some pp opportunities. Perhaps some second line fillin during sob time.
The only way I really think he ends up in a 3rd line role is if Bruce, or whoever is coaching, wants to get him to play responsibly before they let him go offensively.

Personally, I doubt it. His offensive gifts are obvious. I think he could score in the NHL now. Would he score a ton at first? Probably not (though if he keeps up this pace in the KHL, I imagine he would) but sooner or later, he's going to be a top line offensive talent, without as much of an emphasis to go back. That's not saying he won't play defense or even care, but you don't hitch a thoroughbred to a plow.

I think when they bring him over (and I believe that's next season or the season after next) they will find him a role in the top 2 lines, or go with a "three scoring lines" feature and let him carry a 3rd line with less time.

I don't think Semin is back if he comes (though you never know) and if he is back, then Knuble might be gone, or down on the 3rd/4th line.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:32 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

That 3rd line, if their play continues, is the 3rd line for next season. There's a reason I left them off my post.

And givent that it looks like BB is figuring out how to properly set lines, you're not going to see a weak, young sniper on the top two lines if you have ovi and semin here. They'll have a big body with them. Obviously knubes may not return. But that's not to say a big body won't take his place. If they decide to put kuz on a line with mojo and semin, it will be fail central to start the season and come playoffs.

As of now.... We have a hybrid 4th line. As long as mp is there, it won't be a true energy/punishment line. Add kuz, and probably eakin, and that 4th line with mp at c is a good developmental scoring line. Not much different than now in terms of what it provides to the overall team.

You just lose halpy's rh faceoff/pk and grit from hemdricks

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:54 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Thanks, Cush, for pulling those stats together.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Langway
Intangibles

If/when Kuznetsov comes over he's making the immediate jump to the top six IMO. If he or mgmt. don't think he's ready for that then he won't be here. As far as $$$ goes, base max. would be $900k and in theory they could include performance-based bonuses on top of it. That's not ideal in terms of cap management but may be necessary and would most likely insure that he is a pretty relied upon player. The KHL can beat the biggest ELCs but the same goes for Tarasenko and other KHL youngsters down the line. The lure/challenge of becoming an NHL star will have to lure them over.

Many of us said Semin replacement when he was picked and it remains a pretty feasible plan. Retaining the blueline FAs and integrating him as 2RW seems like a pretty smart off-season strategy. His line may be inconsistent the second line (and Semin) is anyway. Long-term I think Kuznetsov is a little more dynamic and creative. Not as much of a sniper but nonetheless an adequate second-line presence (and, to the extent that it's significant, more marketable).

The fourth line remains an energy line, just not much in the physical sense. I don't think they'll go that young in those roles unless either the cap forces it or a Cup win leads to a broadened regular season approach.

Langway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 07:20 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

A lot depends on semin. Thats the question. Agreed if semin is gone his spot is secured... Or mostly assured.

And despite my past grievences about BB... I'm counting on the cup coming and forcing gmgm's hand.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-28-2011, 09:40 AM
sk84fun_dc

Greg Burke playing center this weekend for UNH; also, some notes on local prospect Nick Sorkin

link

and

google translation of comment by Sam Carrier on being named to Super Series Q team along with 2 teammates: ""I'm happy to share this experience with two of my teammates, we are privileged and at the same time, these three appointments confirm the value of the team concept that Mario Pouliot and coaches have established," summarized the veteran Samuel Carrier." link

Last edited by sk84fun_dc: 10-28-2011 at 10:09 AM.
sk84fun_dc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 09:45 PM
sk84fun_dc

Caps G prospects

Did a quick search yesterday and didn't find any new updates on Steffen Soberg.

Brandon Anderson had another not so pretty start for Brandon Wheat Kings yesterday; he was pulled in his first home start (and was pulled in the previous game, too) and didn't get the start tonight, as one would expect.

Caps D prospects

Garrett Haar - with the assist tonight on WMU's (Slater's) OT GWG and was +3 in the 3-2 win. He has 1g/3a and is +9 through 8 GP.

Patrick Koudys - even in a 4-1 RPI loss tonight. Through 7 games, he's even and has 1 goal.

Sam Carrier - 3g/10a/+3 through 13GP

Patrick Wey - injured, see information posted in the thread

Caps F prospects

Caleb Herbert - A 5 game point streak (3g/3a) for the UMD freshman ended with tonight's 1-0 win. Through 8 games, he's got 6 points and is a +2.

Travis Boyd - He had an assist last night in Minnesota's win over UAA; his second point and assist of the season. He's +2 through 5 games. Late game again tonight in Alaska.

Nick Larson - has played in 4 games for Minnesota and has 0 points.

Greg Burke - UNH picked up 2 wins this weekend; Burke remains w/o a point and is -3 through 7 games; he played 2nd line center this weekend from reports and game summaries, as was expected (see above); he was -1 in the 5-2 win over Northeastern tonight. Strange game with weather related power delays in the third period. (Note: two local prospects, Sorkin and Thrush are having good starts to their seasons at UNH; Thrush with 2 assists tonight and Sorkin has points in 5 straight games.)

Evgeny Kuznetsov - As has been updated, through 18GP, he's got 9g/4a.

Stanislav Galiev - injured, see information posted in the thread

(NCAA player stats were pulled from the college hockey inc and USCHO website profiles and boxscores)

Old
10-30-2011, 01:20 PM
sk84fun_dc

Galiev update: source: Jerome_Berube Jérôme Bérubé

"Gerard Gallant said to the @thepipelineshow that Stan Galiev expected to be out 4-5 more weeks with his broken wrist"

Old
10-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Hockeysemin

Kuznetsov 1+1 today. His stats now 15 points (10+5) in 19 games

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:59 PM
Cush
-inator

Goal was the game winner

Old
10-31-2011, 04:21 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Which of our top Prospects is most likely to be a regular on the top 2 lines in years

So, i've been interested in Caps prospects since the days of Giroux, Bouchard, and Perrault, Bourque, etc back in Hershey 4-5 years ago, and now there's a new crop, (those 3 guys never were top players of ours like i thought, however i do like Perrault and Bourque still)

But im not that informed about them.

I haven't heard of Kuznetsov until seeing the bar at the top (if someone could fill me in)
but i everyone else.

It seems the forerunners are Kuznetsov, Eakin, Galiev, and Orlov.

Which of these guys look like they are going to be a top 2 line forward in the coming years? I haven't seen much of them, just heard good things, and would like some more info/opinions.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 04:43 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Kuznetsov is the likeliest, then Galiev. Eakin is more of a bottom six type, and Orlov is a puck moving defenseman.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 05:25 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Kuznetsov is just about as sure as they come to be a top 6er, as long as he comes over. Semin-level talent/potential, probably.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:17 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think he isn't as sick of a shot but certainly dynamic.

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:24 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Man, this Kuznetsof kid reminds me of a mix between Semin and Malkin.

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:27 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Jan Bulis sighting in that Kuz video eh

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:36 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Mojo is getting a top forward 6 spot before any of these guys tbh. Would be criminal if he didn't unless Kuznetsov really is as good as at the WJC.

Eakin impressed me a lot in the mem cup but he's the more likely out of these three to be a 3rd liner I bet (he's less skilled imo but more of a complete guy).

Kloparren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:42 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Mojo is getting a top forward 6 spot before any of these guys tbh. Would be criminal if he didn't unless Kuznetsov really is as good as at the WJC.

Eakin impressed me a lot in the mem cup but he's the more likely out of these three to be a 3rd liner I bet (he's less skilled imo but more of a complete guy).
mojo is already has a top 6 spot and isnt a prospect anymore

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:18 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Kuznetsov is just about as sure as they come to be a top 6er, as long as he comes over. Semin-level talent/potential, probably.

not that i dont believe the semin-level statement but its hard to imagine... semin gets his money because of his shot and nothing else, now if u say semin-like talent that would mean he has an 5 million dollar shot ?

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:57 PM
sillygoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
not that i dont believe the semin-level statement but its hard to imagine... semin gets his money because of his shot and nothing else, now if u say semin-like talent that would mean he has an 5 million dollar shot ?
Semin might be paid because of his shot, but he is one of the most talented players in the world.

sillygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:57 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
Semin gets paid for his dangling and passing as well, although to be sure his shot is his bread and butter.

And you're right, it's fair to say that Kuznetsov's skillset is different than Semin's (I like the mention of Malkin earlier in the thread), I was just looking for a way to quickly compare his upside to a current Cap. He's not Ovechkin, he's not going to dominate a game physically the way Ovechkin can, but he might turn into a guy that can control the game through his skills. With Semin those skills are slanted more heavily towards his shot, with Kuznetsov it'll probably end up slanting more heavily towards his dangling/skating.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote