HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

why do people see okposo's value being significantly higher then comeau'

Old
10-31-2011, 02:09 AM
startainfection

vCash: 500
why do people see okposo's value being significantly higher then comeau'

topic.

i think comeau is very under rated around here and i think he holds just as much value as okposo

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:54 AM
Isles Junkie

A number of reasons.

Kyle had a 50+ point season in his 2nd year in the NHL. Comeau is yet to get 50. Even when Kyle isn't scoring, he's still doing far more things away from the puck to help the club then Comeau does. Kyle wears an A. Kyle was also the 1st relatively big time prospect to come up through the system probably since DiPietro, so there's a bit more of a bromantic story there. 5 year contract vs 1 year contract. Kyles effort & compete level is also far more consistent then Blakes.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 03:56 AM
OlTimeHockey

But Comeau hits other hockey players. Just sayin'. I seen him do it.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:25 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
topic.

i think comeau is very under rated around here and i think he holds just as much value as okposo
can we just start one i hate kyle thread and put it next to dipi's......cause enough of this s*it

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:59 AM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI78 View Post
can we just start one i hate kyle thread and put it next to dipi's......cause enough of this s*it
I don't believe the thread was started because of hating Okposo.

The truth is, Okposo hasn't done much since he returned from his injury last season.

I think Oposo is more consistent and has much more potential then Comeau, so I don't think they have the same value.

In any case, they both need to improve.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:15 AM
Brunomics

Because as bad as Okposo is playing he still brings more to the table than Comeau. His hockey sense is much better than Comeau's and he is able to mesh with his linemates unlike Comeau.

If you want to look at stats they aren't far off though. Comeau has scored more than Okposo goal wise in a season and his career high isn't that far behind Okposo's. But the quality of player Okposo is just so much more than Comeau.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:46 AM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
Quote:
Yes, because critical analysis = hate

From now on, only unrequited love is allowed to be expressed on this board, as, really, what is there to be critical of? This is obviously a high achieving team that oozes with talent and is a shoo-in for the playoffs.

When I compare our players' performance and stats with others around the league, it is clear that we are just soooooo good I get goose bumps.

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:00 AM
NYI78

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach View Post
Yes, because critical analysis = hate

From now on, only unrequited love is allowed to be expressed on this board, as, really, what is there to be critical of? This is obviously a high achieving team that oozes with talent and is a shoo-in for the playoffs.

When I compare our players' performance and stats with others around the league, it is clear that we are just soooooo good I get goose bumps.
i'm just saying we have 20 threads about his perfomance...might as well just put it all into one... also not everything on here is critical analysis..you have the right do your opinion i have the right to mine...is he not prefomring well?? of course..is he the biggest issue on this team?? no

NYI78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:11 AM
crashthenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
Because as bad as Okposo is playing he still brings more to the table than Comeau. His hockey sense is much better than Comeau's and he is able to mesh with his linemates unlike Comeau.

If you want to look at stats they aren't far off though. Comeau has scored more than Okposo goal wise in a season and his career high isn't that far behind Okposo's. But the quality of player Okposo is just so much more than Comeau.
Neither demonstrates a high hockey IQ. They both should avoid the left side of the ice because one always curls at the hashmarks and the other always backhand to toe to drag to lose the puck and then fall down. Seriously, they're both 200+ pounds, get to the net.

I hope Okposo can become the second line winger he should be. I still don't know what to make of Comeau.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:33 AM
Veteran journeyman

Okposo's a better player. And I say that as probably one of Comeau's few fans. Comeau likes to carry the puck, but he's not very good at it. He's at his best when he can just pull the trigger at will with someone else feeding him pucks in the right areas. Okposo, when he's playing the way we've seen him play before the injury, back checks, carries the puck with speed through the neutral zone, can dig pucks out along the boards, and can beat defensemen to the outside (something Comeau can't do because, while he's not slow, he doesn't change speeds and find that extra gear to keep d-men off balance). I'm not saying he's the greatest player in the game at these things, but they're all in his skill set. Comeau has a good shot, decent vision, and is OK on the forecheck when he puts his mind to it. I'd take Okposo any day out of the two, although obviously I'd like to see him get going sooner than later...both of them for that matter.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:35 AM
enigmatic
Capuano is a stooge

i personally value comeau higher--i dont get the comeau hate (and i have been saying this for years--like oltimehockey said, he hits people! that is very important!

also, for every "stupid mistake" comeau makes due to "holding the puck too long" he creates 2 decent scoring chances because of his same problem....no one seems to realize his play making ability that comes with what i call patience and creativity...

enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
Words Of Wisdom

Okposo has alot more potential and a better skill set. And when healthy he had a 50 point year.

Words Of Wisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:12 AM
StrongIslanders90

Okposo was very Unlucky and I think that bad luck has hurt his development into the 1st line all star wing we all thought he was going to be......2 years ago we all thought he was going to break out after getting near 20 goals in his 1st full NHL season and player with the heart we all love, Then in Preseason that POS DION PHenuf demolished him in center ice when he was off balance and without the puck...He suffered a concussion and missed the start off the season....(WWSD- What would Shanny DO if that hit was today....) Then last year he suffered a Shoulder injury in camp and missed Half the season.......Okie is one of my Favorite players, but he does not look like the Okie of old so far.....Last year I had a feeling he was going to score 30 goals and lead the Isles on JT's Wing... I think PAP was only put there do to the Okie injury....Now I see him as a top 9 Hard working and High Motor with Skill.......I love him but I think we need to lower our expectation until he proves us otherwise......( I still would like to see him given a shot with JT)

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:50 AM
islandermike

This is my own opinion and view but i see Comeau as a lazy player, he is inconsistent with his effort which in turn has lead to his inconsistency as a player. I think they probably are pretty close to skill level (both will always be in that 20 goal, 50 point range)but Okposo's effort is more consistent which will always make him a more valuable player.

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:48 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
i'm just saying we have 20 threads about his perfomance...might as well just put it all into one... also not everything on here is critical analysis..you have the right do your opinion i have the right to mine...is he not prefomring well?? of course..is he the biggest issue on this team?? no
Okposo's yet another whipping boy for a team that isn't even underachieving. They are what they are.

Okposo's not been great but hasn't been bad either. Because he's one of the key forwards that can make a difference on this team, there's more of a focus on him, which is fair, but as many posters have indicated, Okposo contributes even though he doesn't score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandermike View Post
This is my own opinion and view but i see Comeau as a lazy player, he is inconsistent with his effort which in turn has lead to his inconsistency as a player. I think they probably are pretty close to skill level (both will always be in that 20 goal, 50 point range)but Okposo's effort is more consistent which will always make him a more valuable player.
Comeau's got consistency issues in both effort and performance/output - and they are related.

Both Okposo and Comeau lack high-end offensive instincts & awareness. They both have a lot of physical abilities. Okposo's got much better defensive awareness and his work in all zones, along the boards, is better and more consistent than Comeau.

I like both players. I think they can be part of a winning team.

Reality is they are probably NOT good enough to take the team to the next level.

It's not fair to EXPECT more of players than they are capable of, than they've ever shown an ability/potential to do.

This team suffers from unfair expectations more than anything.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:20 PM
Mustang2750

Okposo turns the puck over more than anybody the Isles have had since the Jason Blake days.

Mustang2750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 07:23 PM
Tavartrick
All hail Wang!

The Isles should just claim Sean Avery. He's tied in goals with Okposo, Bailey, Rolston, and Dipietro.

Tavartrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:50 PM
mitchy22

Okposo is the smarter hockey player with and without the puck. Okposo gives more of a consistent effort.
Okposo has better puck skills, balance and agility.
Okposo is the better player with less time and space.

Comeau has better accuracy on his shot and has a very good release. Comeau is faster in straight away speed, but his first two strides are not as powerful as Okposo's and Comeau's balance isn't as good either. Comeau takes wider turns and is poor when turning to the right. (Part of many reasons why I want to keep him on the right side.) Comeau is more physical when he can get in on the forecheck by far, but is suspect in tight quarters along the boards.

Comeau needs more time to make plays, therefore he is better off when he keeps his game simple.

Both players need to drive to the net consistently. Comeau does it far less. I almost feel bad for him; in one of Comeau's "on" games last season, he drove to the net twice and ended up taking a pounding into the goal both times. That said, as I believe it was Benoit Hogue (or maybe Steve Thomas, neither of which had a problem with this) said on the broadcast the other day, "you go to where the cookies are." Al's words coming out of their mouths.

Personally, I take Okposo because his mind sees the game better. He goes to the right side of the puck far more often than Comeau. It's not even close in this regard. I also remember a few times last season where Comeau coughed up the puck under pressure in the closing minutes. Okposo is the mentally stronger player.

Overall, I'll take KO for his guaranteed effort and smarter hockey brain while still having an impressive overall set of hockey skills and attributes.

That said, Comeau when he's playing a simple and physical game is quite effective and that gap between the two is minuscule. (Of course, that could change if KO reaches what I believe to be his full potential.)

Comeau has to chip and chase, get in on the forecheck, hit people, find openings and wait for his teammates to get him the puck since he can score from relatively far out. When Comeau has the puck, he's far better off getting rid of it quickly. It's one thing to look for a play when there is none and control the puck; it's entirely another thing to hold the puck too long because you can't see the play.

KO needs to find more ways to score and know when the hit is the right play and follow through with it. Both players have room for improvement.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:51 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Okposo is the smarter hockey player with and without the puck. Okposo gives more of a consistent effort.
Okposo has better puck skills, balance and agility.
Okposo is the better player with less time and space.

Comeau has better accuracy on his shot and has a very good release. Comeau is faster in straight away speed, but his first two strides are not as powerful as Okposo's and Comeau's balance isn't as good either. Comeau takes wider turns and is poor when turning to the right. (Part of many reasons why I want to keep him on the right side.) Comeau is more physical when he can get in on the forecheck by far, but is suspect in tight quarters.

Comeau needs more time to make plays, therefore he is better off when he keeps his game simple.

Both players need to drive to the net consistently. Comeau does it far less. (I almost feel bad for him; in one of Comeau's "on" games last season, he drove to the net twice and ended up taking a pounding into the goal both times. That said, as I believe it was Benoit Hogue (or maybe Steve Thomas, neither of which had a problem with this) said on the broadcast the other day, "you go to where the cookies are." Al's words coming out of their mouths.)

Personally, I take Okposo because his mind sees the game better. He goes to the right side of the puck far more often than Comeau. It's not even close in this regard. I also remember a few times last season where Comeau coughed up the puck under pressure in the closing minutes. Okposo is the mentally stronger player.

Overall, I'll take KO for his guaranteed effort and smarter hockey brain while still having an impressive overall set of hockey skills and attributes.

That said, Comeau when he's playing a simple and physical game is quite effective and that gap between the two is minuscule.

Comeau has to chip and chase, get in on the forecheck, hit people, find openings and wait for his teammates to get him the puck since he can score from relatively far out. When Comeau has the puck, he's far better off getting rid of it quickly. It's one thing to look for a play when there is none and control the puck; it's entirely another thing to hold the puck too long because you can't see the play.

KO needs to find more ways to score and know when the hit is the right play and follow through with it. Both players have room for improvement.

Mitch
THIS
I was waiting for Mitchy to come and be the voice of reason, as always......

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:09 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
THIS
I was waiting for Mitchy to come and be the voice of reason, as always......
Thanks for the kind words. I might be a bit too wordy (understatement), but if I feel strongly about something it's because I've given it plenty of thought and made many observations over a significant period of time. I'm limited by whatever my observational faculties are, but I like to think they're decent.

I give Comeau a hard time because he has so many physical tools in his toolbox to play this game. I don't think Blake will ever be mentally sharp, but he can be a very effective complementary winger if he plays a simple and consistently physical game with more aware linemates.

Okposo just needs to learn to hit when it's the right move and work on his shot selection and finish. He just needs to have enough finish to keep the opposing team honest while finding enough ways to get pucks through to the net. 250 shots @ 10% = 25 goals. That's what I hope for him. With KO's ability to come away with contested pucks, and strong passing skills, I wouldn't be shocked if KO ends up getting 40+ assists in some seasons. 65-70 point player in the right circumstance. Quite frankly, I think Comeau could have some solid goal scoring seasons if put on the perfect line with guys who keep him going 100% every game (and tell him when he's getting away from the style he should be playing. Edit - I know Comeau has been more of a playmaker in the past, but I think that has a lot to do with how often he holds the puck and less to do with his ability to finish. He has a great release and very solid velocity on his shots which often actually hit the net.)

Honestly, this team has often been missing quality top-6 veterans to complete our lines and add consistency in performance while providing on-ice coaching. We've also never had a veteran forward in his prime for other players to lean on during this rebuild. There's no Mark Streit on offense. As I mentioned at some point last year, look at the NHL games played of our forwards. We've added to our bottom-6 some vets for this season (a plus), but our top-6 is still barren of these players.

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 10-31-2011 at 10:15 PM.
mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:58 AM
OlTimeHockey

Who scores more and gets more GWG? Will the other contribute? Yeah? Great. Replace Pandolfo or Reasner or Rolston instead. Both earn spot easily over several others, so let's not complain. Okposo is slumping, hesitant and not playing like a "bull in a China shop" anymore, but he could sooner or later and make us all thankful we didn't ship him out for Joe Thornton for a playoff push (where he disappears). Comeau might start hitting consistently and even if he never plays as consistent as he could, 24 goals, more each year to that point, better defense....he could be a thirty goal guy.

The debate is fruitless. Both show more than Bailey, and no one with sense wants to get rid of Bailey yet with his hockey smarts.

If Snow did a better job with vets, we might have reason to want to shift assets and debate who should be traded.....but the team is what it is, so yet another year of growth and hoefully we finish close to a playoff berth or just in.

Old
11-01-2011, 03:04 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post
Honestly, this team has often been missing quality top-6 veterans to complete our lines and add consistency in performance while providing on-ice coaching. We've also never had a veteran forward in his prime for other players to lean on during this rebuild. There's no Mark Streit on offense. As I mentioned at some point last year, look at the NHL games played of our forwards. We've added to our bottom-6 some vets for this season (a plus), but our top-6 is still barren of these players.

Mitch
This says it all. A top six guy has been gotten.......who plays on the third or fourth line o our last place teams. Guerin, Weight......I won't even add the guys this year. Imagine signing a Richards level guy? Imagine sheer awesome signings like a Franzen or the like? Not with this GM.....so we should just hope for the rookies, something Garth seems competent with - just without any model top six vet to help them acclimate.