HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Proposal: OTT-BUF-DAL

Closed Thread

Old
11-07-2005, 09:59 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senator
The Drury to Smolinski shift is not that big of a downgrade. If you rated all the players on a scale of 1 to 10 ... Drury=7, Smolinski=6, Varada=5, Pyatt=4 ... I'd say it is fairly even with each team maintaining the same overall skill level.

Smokes is 4 years older [33-34] than Drury and obviously on his downslope of his career

Varada if im not mistaken didnt get along with Ruff
so big doubt on him being welcomed back with "open arms"

so why would Buffalo do this again?

Doesnt make any sense except if youre in the Sens spot in this "trade"

Smokes is a decent vet C,but hed be better off on a playoff team than a team in transition

11-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Coug555

If Drury is going anywhere its back to the Av's.

Old
11-08-2005, 11:43 AM
Rowley Birkin

i think some of ya are being a bit harsh towards the Senator. it wasn't a bad proposal, certainly not as brutally one sided as a lot i've seen on this forum. it wasn't a fair or realistic deal sure, but still sensible.

Quote:
I could be mistaken, but I think I remember something about Varada wanting out of Buffalo when he was traded to Ottawa. If that is the case, I don't see Buffalo wanting him back...
i don't remember the reason, but i do remember that he wanted out. i doubt Buffalo would want or would take him back either, but like i said, its a nice thought.

Quote:
If Drury is going anywhere its back to the Av's.
why do you come up with that conclusion?

as a Sabres fan, Drury is one of the first guys i'd move if i were GM, and one of the reasons for that is because i think he holds decent value on the trade market. that is not to say the Sabres will move him. unfortunately, i think Drury is something of a trophy as far as Regier is concerned, and he will not give him up easy.

but since he had success in Colorado, and lack of ever since, i do wonder if the Avs do want him back, and what would they give up for him. apologies for going a bit OT here.

Old
11-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
From a raw statistical PoV, yes, Smoke is currently on par with Drury. However, I'll take Drury due to his age, competitive nature, and his history of performing in the playoffs well beyond anything Smolinski can offer. And I'm as down on Drury as any Sabre fan due to his lack of production so far this season, but I recognize that he's been cast in the dubious role of "shutdown" centre by Ruff and had the defensive-zone liability of a rookie on LW and a dinged RW to carry. For that I'm willing to cut the man some slack.

Drury for Mezsaros or Volchenkov would likely be what I would expect Regier to want.

As for payroll, Buffalo appears poised to qualify for both tiers of revenue sharing without needing to move a body. I doubt they're interested in moving someone the managing partner lobby to acquire in a deal that depleted their blueline depth to pull off.

And Varada was on the outs here with Ruff. Consider that the guy wasn't a bad scorer in the dub or in the AHL, but once he was told that he needed to bulk up and play the physical, checking role, he over-bulked. He's an abrasive sonofagun, particularly in the playoffs, exactly the type of player the Sens have lacked in other playoff debacles. Against teams with bigger players (ie. Philly and the Leafs), he'll do what it takes to win along the boards and in the corners. Against smaller teams, he's an effective forechecker who can tie up minutes simply by keeping the puck active below the faceoff circles. Add that he'll hit people into next week on occassion and always seems to hop right back up after someone takes a run at him.... I don't understand the desire to move him in any Sen deal at this point unless he and Murray are at odds.

11-08-2005, 04:49 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I'll keep it short:

There is a reason VV was referred to as "The Baby Bull". That said, the Sabres, if they get to the playoffs, probably wouldn't get deep enough to make Varada as valuable as he could be. He's perfect with the Sens; I loved when they got him from a Sens standpoint, so naturally I hated it as a Sabres fan.

Old
11-08-2005, 04:57 PM
bert

What would it take for the sens to get Drury or Arnott?

Arnott has played great so I dont see the Stars moving him but Drury is an option.

Clearly he is better than Smolinski.

How about Smolinski and Bochenski for Drury? or Varada Bochenski for Drury?

Old
11-08-2005, 05:47 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert
What would it take for the sens to get Drury or Arnott?

Arnott has played great so I dont see the Stars moving him but Drury is an option.

Clearly he is better than Smolinski.

How about Smolinski and Bochenski for Drury? or Varada Bochenski for Drury?
How about Mez or Volchenkov + late round [5?] pick for Drury?

Old
11-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan
How about Mez or Volchenkov + late round [5?] pick for Drury?
That'd be a pretty stupid deal on Ottawa's part. The two of them will be in their top 4 for years to come (Mesz in the top 2 eventually).

I can't see Ottawa going after Drury.

Old
11-08-2005, 07:21 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
That'd be a pretty stupid deal on Ottawa's part. The two of them will be in their top 4 for years to come (Mesz in the top 2 eventually).

I can't see Ottawa going after Drury.
Well, I think it would take a little extra to convince the Sabres to trade him to a team that they play against 8 times a season.

Old
11-08-2005, 07:59 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
I agree, especially since Drury has a 3.4 million salary.

If Darcy got Meszaros for Drury I'd eat my words and forgive him every single bad trade he's made over the years.

Closed Thread