HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Workout Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2011, 03:55 PM
Shady Machine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucks1 View Post
Mostly in the salad & broccoli – I also use kale, cucumber, ginger and lemon in my jucier – If I don’t have time I just drink the powdered veggies from whole foods. I could probably use more veg-

edit- i eat chicken on salad- not chicken salad -
got it. that makes more sense.

Old
10-31-2011, 04:24 PM
pucks1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
And that's the key thing.

Guys, when you think about it, it's not really the grandest sacrafice. "Kill yourself" for a month or two. Work out, and no junk food. It's all of 60 days. You'll lose a ton of weight.

After that? If you want to still go to town when it comes to wings and burgers and beer, as long as you keep working out at least, you'll maintain your current level.
Shaun T. can eat his donuts once a month, and within a couple days he’s still the ultra-ripped Shaun T. But if Mr. Chubby eats donuts once a month, he gets to stay chubby! LOL!

Old
10-31-2011, 04:30 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Shaun T. can eat his donuts once a month, and within a couple days he’s still the ultra-ripped Shaun T. But if Mr. Chubby eats donuts once a month, he gets to stay chubby! LOL!

I'm serious though, if you can get your hands on his Fast and Furious workout, you'll never see a need to go jogging for an hour or anything like that ever again.

Old
10-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
I usually pack on extra pounds in the winter. My main exercise comes in the form of summer activities, like swimming, playing tennis, playing football with friends, cycling, rollerblading, etc. The only thing I replace all that with come winter time is pick-up hockey with buddies, but that's only once or twice a week, and not nearly enough to compensate.

I hate going to the gym. Not because I'm lazy, I just don't like coming home from work after a long day, and then find the motivation to go out to the gym afterward. So I'm going to have to find a way to keep active during the winter months.

Old
10-31-2011, 07:25 PM
JTG

Since I quit playing regular hockey, I gain an obscene amount of weight every winter. Usually 15 lbs or so.

Old
11-01-2011, 12:56 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
yeah, nutrition is definitely a big part of weight loss much bigger than most people think. When I tried working out a few summers ago I didn't pay much attention (or any) to my nutrition and didn't raise my heart rate enough when I did bike or row. I'd do about 30-35 mins with not enough resistance and not enough exertion, did see some results but not that much, this time I've being doing about 5 mins warm up, 20 mins pushing hard with a good resistance level and then 5 mins warm down. That plus more attention to diet has given much, much better results.

I feel your pain about the Cokes, Coke (the drink) and Mayo are my two biggest vices. I use to have Mayo on almost everything (Chips, Sandwiches, Tuna, Pizza,etc) but I don't think I've had any since May 19th apart from on a Club Sandwich I ordered at a restaurant (managed to scrape most of the Mayo off). I've managed to cut down my Coke habit to 1 or 2 cans a week but it's pretty tough, have you found something you can substitute it with?
The thing was, i was doing fine with no Coke, and i did find a substitute for it. I drank juice everytime i got a coke craving, although juice has alot of sugar, but lately i been drinking coke again. I have not done so today, i'll quit till i'm done with round 3 of P90X.

Quote:
66, were you skipping any of the workouts? I know a lot of people can't stand the Yoga, but after really forcing myself to do it a few times, it actually ended up being my favorite workout.
I've only skipped 2 days total. First time was day 2, i woke up with a painfull migrane and it lasted all day and i could not even move, let alone do a workout. The other time was during the Pens/Canucks game, had people from work coming over to watch, so decided to skip. Have not missed a day since. I did Yoga 4 times, i hate it SO MUCH! it's not one of those hate doing it but love doing it, i hate doing it, Period. I sub it for something else. I did day 1 week 9 today, it was perhaps the toughest i have done probably because i only had 1 hour sleep, and was not tired all day but i'm sure my body was saying different. But i love that chest and shoulders one, i hate it but i LOVE it. Tomorrow it's gonna be my favourite one, plyometrics! i really get into that one, i don't even bother to take breaks, i push myself HARD untill i'm 90% ready to pass out. I sweat so much that it looks like i greaced myself up. I normally drink between 6-9 glasses of water in that hour workout, i just chug chug chug and i hate water. I normally only drink water when i'm doing P90X and/or a few glasses at work. You only need 8 glasses a day.

As for the fast and furious workout, i doubt i'll get into insanity at all. Too many squats, i can barely squat and i hear my knee making squishy sounds, like i mentioned before, i had major knee surgery at age 18 (they went into my knee and scraped out cartalage(sp). I may just use my gym membership i have and do an hour cardio a day ontop of P90X but beachbody are coming out with this self defence thing i am thinking of trying. Also P90X 2 is coming out in January.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:58 AM
wej20

Just took delivery of my pull-up bar, only fits in one doorway in my house. It's my brother's room but he's away at Uni so that makes it much easier.

Old
11-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:

I'm serious though, if you can get your hands on his Fast and Furious workout, you'll never see a need to go jogging for an hour or anything like that ever again.
I can say from first hand experience that the first Insanity workout series is incredible and the hardest **** I have ever tried.

My wife got the vids after having our daughter and asked me to do them with her. I really hated doing exercise vids and originally was going to do a few workouts to motivate my wife, then get back to lifting and running once she was on track again.

I was doing a lot of hill training and cardio circuits when I hit the weights, so I was in really good shape before starting the vids.

The first day when we did the fit test I realized by the end this stuff was HARD. Then when we did the first workout I was laying on the matt by the end and I wanted to die. I didn't even get through half the video I think.

I've been doing Insanity for a month now and the results are - insane. Within the last 10 days or so, I have had a ****** diet. I ate a half gallon of ice cream the one day, a large pizza the next.. and I still dropped 6 lbs in 2 weeks.

I wasn't even getting all the way through the vids for the first month, my diet was not very strict for almost half the time and I still lost weight and am seeing a lot of muscle tone I never had before.

I can only imagine what the results will be like in the final month now that
I'm getting back to my healthy eating habits again and I am pretty much able to get through the entire workouts now without stopping, which is a pretty big accomplishment (since the ripped ppl. in the vids literally fall over and cry also).

Old
11-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Florentino Ariza

I cut out soda years ago and I haven't looked back since. I don't know if I did it because of heartburn or not, but I think when I decided to I thought to myself, "Well, there is no nutritional benefit to drinking it and there are plenty of substitutes that taste as good/better, so why not?" I don't miss it at all. I drink water with my meals, coffee all the time and juice when I have it, but it's mostly water that I drink

Old
11-01-2011, 10:10 AM
pucks1

Woke up at 5:30 am to do my insanity work out and felt like crap- sinus, headache, tired- Told myself I would be fine after the warm up. So I hit play- did the warm up , and stretching and felt even worse- figured id listen to my body and call it. Minor setback, but I’ll start back strong tomorrow morning.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:12 AM
66_Lemieux_66

P4l...

Old
11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
JTG

Anyone know how creatine works exactly? I've asked these questions before. I'm looking for something that helps me increase my gains at the gym, but I don't want the creatine muscles where I'm just filled with water weight.

If I take creatine for cycles, I'd imagine I'd still build loads more muscle than I would normally, but does muscle mass decrease when I quit taking it?

I've never ever been a supplement guy. I've always been all natural. It has been way harder to put on lean muscle than it has in the past for me though, for some reason.

I just don't want to be walking around like one of those jacked up doofuses who can't put their arms down to their sides. I figured it I was on and off things like creatine, I'd be able to create the muscle gains without gaining the water weight.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I can say from first hand experience that the first Insanity workout series is incredible and the hardest **** I have ever tried.

My wife got the vids after having our daughter and asked me to do them with her. I really hated doing exercise vids and originally was going to do a few workouts to motivate my wife, then get back to lifting and running once she was on track again.

I was doing a lot of hill training and cardio circuits when I hit the weights, so I was in really good shape before starting the vids.

The first day when we did the fit test I realized by the end this stuff was HARD. Then when we did the first workout I was laying on the matt by the end and I wanted to die. I didn't even get through half the video I think.

I've been doing Insanity for a month now and the results are - insane. Within the last 10 days or so, I have had a ****** diet. I ate a half gallon of ice cream the one day, a large pizza the next.. and I still dropped 6 lbs in 2 weeks.

I wasn't even getting all the way through the vids for the first month, my diet was not very strict for almost half the time and I still lost weight and am seeing a lot of muscle tone I never had before.

I can only imagine what the results will be like in the final month now that
I'm getting back to my healthy eating habits again and I am pretty much able to get through the entire workouts now without stopping, which is a pretty big accomplishment (since the ripped ppl. in the vids literally fall over and cry also).
Oh jeez you're doing the whole thing?

I'm talking about ONE workout in particular that's literally only 20 minutes, which apparently combines a ton of stuff from the longer workouts. http://pledgetostayfit.com/insanity-...urious-workout

It actually isn't part of the regular Insanity Calender and is there as a "bonus", but it's a perfect substitute for a cardio routine while doing weights.

Old
11-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Oh jeez you're doing the whole thing?

I'm talking about ONE workout in particular that's literally only 20 minutes, which apparently combines a ton of stuff from the longer workouts. http://pledgetostayfit.com/insanity-...urious-workout

It actually isn't part of the regular Insanity Calender and is there as a "bonus", but it's a perfect substitute for a cardio routine while doing weights.
Ya I am doing the whole thing.. I love a challenge.. but this **** is ridiculous.

I am trying to find something left to do cardio abs AFTER pure cardio in the same workout. In the first few weeks on the days you do the pure cardio cd, that's all you do.

By the last week of the first month, you have to not only do the 46 minute workout (pure cardio) you also have to do a bonus workout (cardio abs).

I kept looking at the calendar and I was like no ****ing way - that can't be right.

The pure cardio disc you do that ass busting warm up 3x, then stretching and then you literally go for 22 minutes non stop and you can barely get off the mat at the end... and now they want you to do the ab workout to... wtf?

I got through the pure cardio workout and half the ab workout today... you have to be in silly shape to do the entire thing.

Even the cardio recovery is like a nightmare... trying to hold some of those poses makes me keel over.

The best thing seems to be that you can't ever max out it seems... your body is always being shocked... as soon as you get used to a workout, it gets changed up.

Your body is always playing catch up, which is why it works.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
vh resurrected

For all you P90X fans out there...

Not sure if it's been mentionP90X 2 should be out soon. Check out some of the preview vids on youtube. Frickin' ridiculous.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:45 PM
pucks1

Quote:
Ya I am doing the whole thing.. I love a challenge.. but this **** is ridiculous.

I am trying to find something left to do cardio abs AFTER pure cardio in the same workout. In the first few weeks on the days you do the pure cardio cd, that's all you do.

By the last week of the first month, you have to not only do the 46 minute workout (pure cardio) you also have to do a bonus workout (cardio abs).

I kept looking at the calendar and I was like no ****ing way - that can't be right.

The pure cardio disc you do that ass busting warm up 3x, then stretching and then you literally go for 22 minutes non stop and you can barely get off the mat at the end... and now they want you to do the ab workout to... wtf?

I got through the pure cardio workout and half the ab workout today... you have to be in silly shape to do the entire thing.

Even the cardio recovery is like a nightmare... trying to hold some of those poses makes me keel over.

The best thing seems to be that you can't ever max out it seems... your body is always being shocked... as soon as you get used to a workout, it gets changed up.

Your body is always playing catch up, which is why it works.
i cheat- i do the abs first as a warm up- and then skip the warm up and go straight to stretch then work out

Old
11-01-2011, 02:28 PM
JTG

I haven't done P90x in about 2 months, but I do like the ab and flexibility work it had me doing. I can't see it being a replacement for the gym though

Old
11-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
i cheat- i do the abs first as a warm up- and then skip the warm up and go straight to stretch then work out
That's dirty.

I am confident I can do the full routine eventually; like I said I did the full pure cardio routine and half the ab workout.

I can fight through way more now than I could even 2 weeks ago - but once your body gives out like mine did today, you can't even get up.

How far along are you?

Old
11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
pucks1

did one round- lost 25 lbs-- got sick, ate like crap, gained 20lbs- started again and finished day 7 this morning

Old
11-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
did one round- lost 25 lbs-- got sick, ate like crap, gained 20lbs- started again and finished day 7 this morning
So you did the whole 60 days?

Did you ever get to the point where you went all the way through the routines or did you have to stop?

When I first started, the damn warmup had me so tired I could only get through the first 5 mins or so of the actual routine before I felt like I was going to hurl and had to sit down and just watch and pretend I was exercising.

Now I blow through the warm up and go as fast as the people in the vids; I "stay strong" through most of the routines now and only break when they do. Once in awhile I have to stop for a breather, but most of the people in the vids never get through the routine without stopping either even Chris and Tanya (I only remember their names because of the fit tests and they seem to be the two in the best shape).

My biggest problem now is slipping in my own sweat when I am doing the pushup exercises.

Old
11-01-2011, 05:34 PM
pucks1

Yes, I did all 60 days – then another 30 days of p90x before I got sick and stopped. All I heard everywhere I went was how skinny I got. I loved it- being a big muscular guy. But then I fell off and gained weight back.. so now I started insanity again.

I could not get through the max dvds- second month- I would usually be dead by the last 10-20 mins and drop. I still got an amazing work out.
Then when you go back to the first month it feels like kiddy play.

I just “do my best and for get the rest” Tony Horton lol - if I can’t breathe..i hit pause for a second.. no big deal.

I do notice when I get in better shape- it gets harder because my form gets better, and I push harder.

I have a big matt- sweat puddles are common.

Old
11-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Yes, I did all 60 days – then another 30 days of p90x before I got sick and stopped. All I heard everywhere I went was how skinny I got. I loved it- being a big muscular guy. But then I fell off and gained weight back.. so now I started insanity again.

I could not get through the max dvds- second month- I would usually be dead by the last 10-20 mins and drop. I still got an amazing work out.
Then when you go back to the first month it feels like kiddy play.

I just “do my best and for get the rest” Tony Horton lol - if I can’t breathe..i hit pause for a second.. no big deal.

I do notice when I get in better shape- it gets harder because my form gets better, and I push harder.

I have a big matt- sweat puddles are common.
Ya I am a little nervous about month 2 and what is to come. I want to be able to do the entire workout and have my diet straight like I usually do. This way I get the max results I can.

This program makes you want to push harder because you know it is working. The biggest thing for me that I have always focused on, is my breathing. Once you panic breathe, you are pretty much done. So I am always focused on my breathing to help push me further.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:07 AM
pucks1

Quote:
Ya I am a little nervous about month 2 and what is to come. I want to be able to do the entire workout and have my diet straight like I usually do. This way I get the max results I can.

This program makes you want to push harder because you know it is working. The biggest thing for me that I have always focused on, is my breathing. Once you panic breathe, you are pretty much done. So I am always focused on my breathing to help push me further.
Yep its deff a great feeling when your done-and you know you gave it your all. Your right, breathing is key- during water breaks i do deep in and out breathing to try and calm my heart rate a little. Being 6'5 280- its hard to do those jump need tucks! but i do it- keep rocking it

Old
11-02-2011, 10:38 AM
wej20

Just tried the Ab Ripper X, it destroyed me.

Old
11-02-2011, 10:37 PM
td_ice
Peter shows the way

Good stuff in this thread. I was thinking of doing the Px90 so it is good to read feedback on the program, as well as other regimens. The contributions to the thread are appreciated.

Closed Thread