HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Realignment - Losing Philly?

Old
10-31-2011, 05:46 PM
sina220*

vCash: 500
I agree with the swap Columbus n winnipeg crew totally. Even if you just move Columbus to the southeast. The potential benefit to Columbus, and thus the league, from having a rivalry with us could be huge. It could also be huge for hockey in Ohio. Its like the browns, even though they stink their expectations are always high because our division has a high standard and the fans care just as much. Even when they reeaaally stink fans still show just in hopes of spoiling their rivals. But Columbus is currently more like jacksonville, to use the NFL metaphor. They stink, they're in a division that they're a bottom feeder, and they've got no one to rival, no baseline expectations from regional competitors, and no real embarrassment to fear from local competition. There's no kindling to spark a fire in their fans, so they don't show up. Even in down times browns fans have something to hope for, spoiling rivals seasons. Columbus fans really have nothing if the team isn't winning.

sina220* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:28 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Having a girlfriend from Erie, I have to say a Buffalo rivalry would be awesome and it would flair up VERY quickly.
Yah I don't think there's much doubt Buffalo would be a good rivalry, but I'm not sure it would have the same hate-factor as Philly. Detroit might though. We have the recent history there for sure.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:42 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiChi Vitale View Post
Yah I don't think there's much doubt Buffalo would be a good rivalry, but I'm not sure it would have the same hate-factor as Philly. Detroit might though. We have the recent history there for sure.
I enjoy watching Pens-Detroit than most any other game.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:29 PM
Rob Scuderi

I don't know how you couldn't love the Red Wings in the division. If we're gonna lose all of our division rivals I'd rather get Detroit out of it than Columbus. It may not be the most feasible but it'd be the most enjoyable for me.

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 10-31-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:40 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
The most likely of scenarios at this point IMO is the following:

Phoenix moves to Quebec City. Quebec City goes to the EC, Winnipeg goes to WC. Winnipeg joins the NW, Colorado moves to Pacific. Quebec City joins the NE, Buffalo goes to the Atlantic and Philly or Pittsburgh go to the SE.

That would suck for us or Philly, but I don't see who could go to the SE...

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:04 PM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
OR, why don't we and Philly stay in the same division?

They may also redo the conference system. What if they do 2 divisions of 8 teams in the East and 2 divisions of 7 teams in the west? Let's face it, no team in Michigan or Ohio belongs in the Western conference. Even Nashville shouldn't be in the West but they can stay there for the sake of even # of teams per division. Thrashers 2.0 can stay in the west.

Toronto Montreal Detroit Boston Ottawa Buffalo NYR NYI

Pittsburgh Philly NJ Cbus Tampa Florida Carolina DC

Yea, I split up the 3 NY teams so what? Eastern time zone teams in the western conference is a bit more absurd, IMO.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 10:09 PM
BumFortyOne

The sad thing about this proposal is that really the only team it screws over is the Pens. Every Western Conference team benefits in terms of game start times and probably travel though I guess that's debatable with the proposed home and home series.

The Southeast benefits from getting access to games against Philly and the New York area teams. The Northeast teams gain extra games against the Penguins with the draw that Crosby brings.

Philly loses the Penguins but picks up Washington as a divisional rival. They do lose a two games against Boston though. The other Atlantic teams probably wouldn't really care between Pittsburgh and Washington.

I'm going to assume Detroit stays in the West to provide some boost to the ratings and attendance for some of those teams. Which moves Columbus to the East and gives them a natural rival in Pittsburgh.

So basically, the Pens are the only team that is pretty screwed in terms of losing the Philly and Caps rivalries. Detroit stays out West but have significantly fewer games against teams outside the Central Time Zone. Some other rivalries are lost, but I guess the league is willing to bet on the fact that the Pens and the other teams losing rivalries are strong enough to survive it and will generate new rivalries in a divisional playoff format.

Sucks but this might actually be best for the league as a whole.

BumFortyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:59 PM
TopShelfGoal

Article about Pens and Flyers both being against the new proposal.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_764875.html

Quote:
The Flyers told the Delaware County Times that they support the Penguins' stance.

"We are in 100 percent agreement with the Pittsburgh Penguins," said Flyers president Peter Luukko. "We are in close communication with them on this subject. This is a big rivalry that means a lot, not only to us as a franchise, but to our fans, their fans, and the entire state of Pennsylvania."

TopShelfGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 12:08 AM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfGoal View Post

They should be, Pens leaving all their rivals would be a joke. I hope this would not happen, i wanna watch Pens play Flyers, Caps, Rangers, etc.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:07 AM
BumFortyOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShelfGoal View Post

Nice to see some support from the Flyers toward keeping the rivalry going. We'll see how it turns out though.

Last edited by BumFortyOne: 11-01-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Old
11-01-2011, 01:17 AM
Jaded-Fan

Meh, I hate the Cryers as much as anyone, and there is some fun to that. But that said, the number of psychotics that they have strapped skates on and put out on the ice over the years, well given the skill we usually have on the team not having them face the Carcillos and similar year after year who are out to knock Sid's teeth out and then call him a diver and whiner would salve the loss a bit. And I am sure we could find new teams to hate. I am fine with us staying with them and the Rags, and favor that solution, but could live with it if it does not happen is what I am saying.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:32 AM
WVP

I'm sure we'd develop some good ones with Buffalo, Detroit/Columbus, and Boston. Plus there's always build up to Montreal and Toronto games - they are always a spectacle for one reason or another.

There's appeal for me to be in the same division as Detroit, Montreal, Toronto and Boston, 4 original six teams. Would be a powerful division as far as tradition, history and league influence. And Detroit/Pittsburgh would quickly rise to become the league's premier rivalry, IMO. Columbus has less appeal but they deserve to be in the East I think it's obvious that they'd benefit from playing us more.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:43 AM
SkullSplitter

I think playing without Detroit that division would just be super weak & wouldn't properly prepare the Pens for the ECF or SCF.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 09:50 AM
BumFortyOne

I can't see teams like Chicago wanting to lose out on their divisional games against Detroit. I'm betting they'll bring in Columbus first since they desperately need a shot in the arm and giving them a natural rival and playing in the eastern conference might give it to them.

I really hate the idea of losing Philly and Washington but I'm sure new rivalries would spring up. Definitely sucks in the meantime.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:02 AM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneelbeforeNeal View Post
I think playing without Detroit that division would just be super weak & wouldn't properly prepare the Pens for the ECF or SCF.
Montreal, Boston, Buffalo is actually a decent spread of systems to play against.

I don't know if I'd like having to go through Detroit in the early rounds. If anyone has paid attention to the WC playoffs the last couple years, they've worn down the Sharks both years which resulted in them getting beat handily the next round. Detroit won't likely get back to the final anytime soon, but they're a ***** to deal with in the postseason.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:11 AM
JTG

I really don't see Philly as much of a rivalry as Washington. I also think there's serious potential for Columbus and Buffalo to be much bigger rivals that Philly is due to the fact that it's much easier to travel to those two places.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:18 AM
regard

The drive to Columbus is a nice easy one.

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:21 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I see some potential when it comes to Columbus as a rival team... the problem is that they actually have to kind of, you know... not suck. If the other team is a doormat nearly every game and you never see them in the post-season, it's really only a rivalry in name. I'd much prefer to have Detroit in that proposed division instead of Columbus.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I'm sure we'd develop some good ones with Buffalo, Detroit/Columbus, and Boston. Plus there's always build up to Montreal and Toronto games - they are always a spectacle for one reason or another.

There's appeal for me to be in the same division as Detroit, Montreal, Toronto and Boston, 4 original six teams. Would be a powerful division as far as tradition, history and league influence. And Detroit/Pittsburgh would quickly rise to become the league's premier rivalry, IMO. Columbus has less appeal but they deserve to be in the East I think it's obvious that they'd benefit from playing us more.
Yeah, the idea is growing on me. Detroit and Montreal have all the history and prestige to create a strong rivalry. Not to mention Buffalo. And though we have had run ins at times with Detroit and Montreal fans, it is nothing like the stuff we deal with the Philly media and fans. Do not forget the Crosby is a whiner and diver began with the amazing Philly sports media when he got his teeth knocked out by Hatcher. And the main board is pretty much unreadable, mostly because of Philly fans. Hell, there is another Crosby is never coming back thread created by a Philly fan on the main board now. We can have a strong hate on with Montreal and Detroit I am sure, but some of the stuff we wade through daily here I can do without and doubt would be part of it. Add to it the type of player Philly has always employed, and with Crosby having been gone a year I could do without having a criminal element wearing skates trying to knock his teeth out or bite his ear off. I would miss how Crosby lights them up like a Christmas tree, but the Montreal/Detroit vs. Pens broadcasts would be epic for television ratings, which ultimately would decide this in this going forward I think. Philly vs. Pens is good, but Montreal/Detroit vs. Pens is so much better. Hell, even Buffalo would be a huge draw given the television local market share each team has. Columbus is so damned close, and with the waiting list we have half the arena would be Pens' fans, it would be like another home game.

Count me in favor now of this move. Buh Buh Philly. I think you might miss us more than we miss you.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:07 AM
mpp9

Being able to go to Columbus games casually like a home game would be pretty sweet.

Old
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
VinsaneBoy

What do you think of this idea for realignment? It's a slight change from the proposed NHL one.

No Eastern or Western Conferences. Just 4 divisions.

North: NYI, NYR, NJ, MON, OTT, BOS, BUF, TOR
East: PIT, PHI, WAS, CAR, TB, FLA, CBJ, NSH
Central: DET, CHI, DAL, MIN, WPG, STL, COL
West: LA, ANA, SJ, PHX, VAN, EDM, CGY

Just like the proposed plan, teams play everyone home and home and the rest of the games are in division. Top 4 in each division go to the playoffs and play each other in the first 2 rounds. Here's the change. Without the concept of conferences, the 4 division winners get seeded according to the season standings, 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3. For example, if the 4 division winners are PIT, BOS, DET, and LA, they would play each other according to season standings, not eastern and western conferences. So you could have PIT vs LA and BOS vs DET and then something like a PIT vs BOS Cup Final. It opens up a lot of possibilities. You don't have to have an Eastern vs Western Cup Final anymore.

VinsaneBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:26 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Being able to go to Columbus games casually like a home game would be pretty sweet.
It really is one of the easiest drives their is - once you're not in PA anymore

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Jaded-Fan

Would be interesting to attach a poll to this thread, to see how people feel about realignment. For moving to the proposed Detroit/Montreal/Buffalo/Columbus conference? For staying with Philly or the Rangers? Fine with it either way?

Old
11-01-2011, 11:47 AM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
It really is one of the easiest drives their is - once you're not in PA anymore
I hate driving through OH on 70 though, freaking cop fest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Would be interesting to attach a poll to this thread, to see how people feel about realignment. For moving to the proposed Detroit/Montreal/Buffalo/Columbus conference? For staying with Philly or the Rangers? Fine with it either way?
I feel the same away about realignment as I do Staal playing on Malkin's line....I really don't get too excited about things I have no control over.

Also, I think it's just me but I really don't have emotional ties to the Devils and Rangers, certainly not the Islanders. So for me it's really just Philly.

Last edited by WVP: 11-01-2011 at 12:05 PM.
WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:48 AM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
I hate driving through OH on 70 though, freaking cop fest.

I feel the same away about realignment as I do Staal playing on Malkin's line....I really don't get too excited about things I have no control over.
You HAD to go there and reopen that topic, didn't you?