HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our team will be fine, Positive outlook.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
ziggy7716

vCash: 500
Our team will be fine, Positive outlook.

With soo many people thinking so negatively I had to have some positive threads in here. It's 9 games people, we are 3-4-2, with the last 2 games could have easily been wins, especially the Penguins game. Look at the Bruins, they are off to a bad start but I can assure you they will be in the playoffs for sure. With the exception of two or three games they have been pretty good.

-John Tavares is playing like he's becoming elite
-PA Parenteau has been pretty good so far at a PPG
-Are PK is among the top 10; as well as our PP
-Grabner and Nielsen are starting to come around
-Mark Streit has been great; D as a whole has been solid
-Are goaltending has been pretty damn good

Good things are happening, take a step back and breathe. Everything is going to be OK. Come April this team will be anywhere from 6th-9th. Fairly confident when I say that.

Bottom line is, it's way to early to start declaring there is no progress and the season is a failure.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:53 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy7716 View Post
With soo many people thinking so negatively I had to have some positive threads in here. It's 9 games people, we are 3-4-2, with the last 2 games could have easily been wins, especially the Penguins game. Look at the Bruins, they are off to a bad start but I can assure you they will be in the playoffs for sure. With the exception of two or three games they have been pretty good.

Good things are happening, take a step back and breathe. Everything is going to be OK. Come April this team will be anywhere from 6th-9th. Fairly confident when I say that.

Bottom line is, it's way to early to start declaring there is no progress and the season is a failure.
Glad Im not the only one, I however think the isles will finish between 5th and 10th. The team and the conference seems to be very streaky

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Are team? Did you mean "our team"?

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:56 PM
KyleBailey12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Beat me by a minute.

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:18 PM
ziggy7716

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleBailey12 View Post
Beat me by a minute.
Yes, my bad.

ziggy7716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:20 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
It's funny that opening this thread I knew there would be atleast 2 posts about the typo

I think this team has yet to find it's groove and is still a work in progress. It's still very early in the season and they have shown at times some flashes of being a solid team they just need to put it all together or it will result in the same old Isles.

There really should be two basic threads because it seems lately 80% of new threads can fall in these categories:

The this team sucks thread: waive everyone; trade everyone; fire Snow
The this team is could make the playoffs thread: Be patient; It's still early.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:26 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnpike Terrors View Post
It's funny that opening this thread I knew there would be atleast 2 posts about the typo

I think this team has yet to find it's groove and is still a work in progress. It's still very early in the season and they have shown at times some flashes of being a solid team they just need to put it all together or it will result in the same old Isles.

There really should be two basic threads because it seems lately 80% of new threads can fall in these categories:

The this team sucks thread: waive everyone; trade everyone; fire Snow
The this team is could make the playoffs thread: Be patient; It's still early
Well that's just it...the Islanders have either showed up for the game and played hard (in which case they look like a playoff team), or they look like they are asleep and just standing around (in which case people feel like getting rid of half the team).

So, until we have any consistency, I expect these 2 types of threads to keep popping up.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

THANKS for posting something with sense.

It's so deflating with all the bad karma on our board.

Depressing and despicable. You'd think we were at game 81 with a 3-76-2 record....

There are issues to be sure, but the world is not ending. There is an entire season yet to be played.

If they come out strong against WPG (Ill be there) it should put some things in perspective. No doubt we need to put some wins together, but all in all while the playoffs are goal, it will be a long and tough task to get there. Anyone who thought we would be a playoff team out of the gate is not paying attention or is deluding themselves.

Thanks again!

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Symon Asher

I wish I could share your outlook. Comeau PAP and possibly Grabs had Career years last year. I believe Bailey and KO will not live up to their top 10 status.
Molson Pando Rolston Montoya Staois all cane from the garbage dump . You can only expect so much from them.The Isles got 2 30 goal seasons from Moulson I do not expect anything close to it in the next three years. I hope I am wrong.

Symon Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:44 PM
Lek

Send a message via AIM to Lek
Finally......i feel better.

Lek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:49 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:

Logic says the Islanders will improve on their record. They won't win 3 out of every 9 games.
Most teams would improve upon that winning percentage.

Remember what happened last year? The Isles somehow got worse on that type of winning percentage.

The next few games are crucial. You win the next one, your undefeated in regulation over the last 3. You lose?

Well your winless in 6. And the spiral has a chance to become nauseating.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:29 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Logic says the Islanders will improve on their record. They won't win 3 out of every 9 games.
Most teams would improve upon that winning percentage.

Remember what happened last year? The Isles somehow got worse on that type of winning percentage.

The next few games are crucial. You win the next one, your undefeated in regulation over the last 3. You lose?

Well your winless in 6. And the spiral has a chance to become nauseating.
For us to improve other teams need to play poorly.
I can't think of rational explanation why we play better and other teams play poorly besides a simple regression. But that assume our talent is at least equal to other talent.

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:59 PM
xECK29x

Thank you for this, it was badly needed and I agree on mostly everything. I also believe the Isles will finish between 6th and 12th in the east pending on if we get that top-4 D man and if Bailey/Comeau decide they want to play like NHL players.

xECK29x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:45 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Picking on grammar is a weak premise. So to butcher the kid for using "are" instead of "our" is nothing more than deviating and nit-picking. I've seen some real horrible grammar, and trust me, this is far from the worst. I've seen no punctuation, the "to" and "too" used completely inaccurately, "him" instead of "he". So if you can't perfect it, you're better off to lay off any criticism. Disagree with what the guy says, if you feel like an argument, but going after grammar and spelling is not constructive.

I can't speak for what's going to happen with this team. I've seen good things and bad things in the first 9 games. What concerns me is the failing of litmus tests. That game against Tampa Bay on Oct. 20 was huge. They just beat them 5-1 and beat the Rangers four days prior, and this game was going to be a real test of what this team was made of, and they laid an egg. They've played decently outside of Florida, but they still have so much to work on, particularly their transition game, forecheck, and their intensity. If not for Matt Martin, this team would never get credited with throwing a check at all.

There's a long way to go, and a lot of room for improvement.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 02:51 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Picking on grammar is a weak premise. So to butcher the kid for using "are" instead of "our" is nothing more than deviating and nit-picking. I've seen some real horrible grammar, and trust me, this is far from the worst. I've seen no punctuation, the "to" and "too" used completely inaccurately, "him" instead of "he". So if you can't perfect it, you're better off to lay off any criticism. Disagree with what the guy says, if you feel like an argument, but going after grammar and spelling is not constructive.

I can't speak for what's going to happen with this team. I've seen good things and bad things in the first 9 games. What concerns me is the failing of litmus tests. That game against Tampa Bay on Oct. 20 was huge. They just beat them 5-1 and beat the Rangers four days prior, and this game was going to be a real test of what this team was made of, and they laid an egg. They've played decently outside of Florida, but they still have so much to work on, particularly their transition game, forecheck, and their intensity. If not for Matt Martin, this team would never get credited with throwing a check at all.

There's a long way to go, and a lot of room for improvement.
This. Stepping away from the grammar, I don't know about our defense as a whole playng all that well though... I agree with the rest for the most part in regards to the original poster. JT does need a wingman just as Yashin did. We also need that top 4 dman until Hamonic or Mac are ready for that roll ( if that is even a possibilty for them one day ) A 2nd line center also would not hurt but those two things are far more needed. Lets see how frans does, him and grabs should def always be playing together if Frans is centering the 2nd line.

NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 03:17 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
This. Stepping away from the grammar, I don't know about our defense as a whole playng all that well though... I agree with the rest for the most part in regards to the original poster. JT does need a wingman just as Yashin did. We also need that top 4 dman until Hamonic or Mac are ready for that roll ( if that is even a possibilty for them one day ) A 2nd line center also would not hurt but those two things are far more needed. Lets see how frans does, him and grabs should def always be playing together if Frans is centering the 2nd line.
Stylistically, Tavares reminds me a lot of Ron Francis. But though it's early in his career, my concern is that he'll be like Mats Sundin, and never have quality wingers!

Old
11-02-2011, 03:36 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:

We will compete for a playoff spot. Just need stable goaltending and a solid top 6.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:11 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
Yes, but to go back to the grammar, until this country is back to number one, I think teachers should have tasers in classrooms until the youth can use the language. And parents should be able to draw blood at PTA meetings without outside interference.

Continue.

(sorry, too many meatheads out there on the streets - I root for the cannibals)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Bauer Warrior*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Yes, but to go back to the grammar, until this country is back to number one, I think teachers should have tasers in classrooms until the youth can use the language. And parents should be able to draw blood at PTA meetings without outside interference.

Continue.

(sorry, too many meatheads out there on the streets - I root for the cannibals)
I agree. In general, people's ability to read and write is in the toilet, and it needs to be adressed, taught, and corrected. But if the same people who write something like, "The Islanders are to inconsistant and have to play better then they are..." are the same ones who are going to get into the "are"/"our" correction, or are going to ignore the grammar errors of those who they agree with philisophically or intelectually, should not point to grammar just because they don't like what the guy is saying overall.

To stay on topic, there are some positives to pull from the Islanders' play. However, they do have a lot to work on, and if they don't fix their shortcomings, it will be a long season.

Old
11-02-2011, 06:09 AM
JKP

The goaltending and defense have kept them in just about every game. They start popping a couple extra goals as line 2 and 3 wake up, they'll start to pick up more W's.

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:38 AM
Isles72

the team should be in the mix for 8 seed dogfight all season .

alot of things would have to go right for it to happen , the margin for error is slim .

I'm remaining positive so long as we stay around .500

Isles72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Otto91

When will they be fine? The Leafs and Oilers are where in their rebuild and look at where they are in the standings Now look at us same place going nowhere fast 5 years....20 years the same place.....

As fans we always say next year we will be better ....we will make playoffs.....Question is what year does next year begin?????

Otto91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:34 AM
Hip Of Rick

Other than JT and Hamonic no "core" players have shown improvement from last season. In fact Grabner, Comeau, Nielson, Bailey (if possible), and Okposo look worse.

PAP looks better but we all think he is a stop gap type. Moulson looks the same, when he scores he looks great when he doesn't he doesn't hurt you. MacDonald looks about the same.

This team simply does not have the depth, talent, or consistency to make the playoffs. Like the other thread on this board how many teams in the east are we 100% better than, just the Jets? We will end up someplace 11-15 depending on hot streaks. To me that is not improvement and it is time to move in a new direction starting with Snow. Maybe we can actually hire a team president with hockey knowledge.

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:19 AM
stevedepot

Everyone bookmark this thread and revisit it in a few months and then by seasons end when we finish 10th in the eastern conference if not worse.

Unreal.
I actually had some confidence/faith in Capuano until his recent comments made me concerned. Said he was happy with the effort despite the current 5 game losing streak. (0-3-2).
To me, no coach would be happy with that especially in THIS a year where everyone said no more excuses.
There's ways of motivating your players without calling them out individually.
He has not shown enough.

10th place or worse, you shall see bright siders, you shall see.

stevedepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:21 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
Disagree with what the guy says, if you feel like an argument, but going after grammar and spelling is not constructive.
Relax, Francis. I was just asking if he really meant "our". I wasn't picking on anyone or starting an argument. Sheesh.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote