HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan Smyth

Old
11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Ryan Smyth

Just wondering how many people will boo Smyth when he returns. Personally I think the guy deserves a bit of it.

He put the Kings in a pretty bad spot, by not waiving his clause for anyone but Edmonton.

But the cherry on top was when I was watching the Oil a few weeks ago and this is what was said in a between period interview...

at the 00:39 second mark..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGHXTKcHe6w

"It's obviously nice to be back here in the city....uh where fans appreciate hockey...."

Not exactly saying it's a dig at LA, maybe it's mountains out of molehills...but i'll let you guys take it for what it is.

My opinion? He could have just said feels nice to be back here...didn't have to throw in where fans appreciate hockey...I think it's implying where he was...had fans that didn't..but thats just me.

Thoughts?

Boo him?

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I watched a lot of the After Hours program two weeks ago where he was interviewed for a while and he was complimentary of the Kings organization and was thankful that they made a trade. The guy wanted to go home. He even confirmed that he would have accepted a trade to Calgary. It was about him wanting to be as close to home as possible.

Who really cares at this point? In reality, he did the Kings a favor because they were able to sign Gagne with the CAP space he freed and I'd much rather have Gagne than Smyth even though Gagne is out with an undisclosed injury at this time.

Here are those clips:

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:32 PM
SMoneyMonkey

He may of said something stupid, but it's hard to boo somebody who just wanted to be home at the end of his career. I hope nobody boos him, he seems like a really nice guy.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Goalied13

Smyth really did want to come back to Edmonton. In past interviews he has been kind as to speaking of other teams but he has always wanted to return to Edmonton.

And now, he's back where he belongs in Oil Country.

Goalied13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
I watched a lot of the After Hours program two weeks ago where he was interviewed for a while and he was complimentary of the Kings organization and was thankful that they made a trade. The guy wanted to go home. He even confirmed that he would have accepted a trade to Calgary. It was about him wanting to be as close to home as possible.

Who really cares at this point? In reality, he did the Kings a favor because they were able to sign Gagne with the CAP space he freed and I'd much rather have Gagne than Smyth even though Gagne is out with an undisclosed injury at this time.

Here are those clips:

Good.

I am glad to see this as a follow up to the interview I saw.

Edit: I knew about the being closer to home. The slew of **** that has accompanied this trade has made the tea bitter just a touch. That is tambos fault first and foremost though.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:33 PM
bobafettish*

he'll probably get booed by some idiots but he should be applauded, he did us a big favor asking to get out.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

OH and I love that the person who asks the question if he would've accepted a trade to Calgary's name on twitter was "AlbertaHippie420" lol!

EDIT: Scratch that, was a different question. Still funny to hear that dude say that username.

Old
11-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
He asked for a trade. So will he get booed? Absolutely, and not to be a dick, but every single team's fans would do the same thing. He helped us but that doesn't matter. He has earned a booing and deserves it. His effort to finish last season was awful so I can't even defend him in any way by saying he played hard. He didn't.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:38 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

He wanted to go home...?

So if Jack goes to the Kings and said trade me to the Wings, or if Scuderi says trade me to the Isles you guys would be ok with it?

If Smyth loved Edmonton so much he should have re-signed with the Oilers in the Spring 2007, instead of forcing a trade over 500k and crying on tv. Or he should have signed with Edmonton that summer, instead of going to highest bidder in Colorado for a long term deal.

And let's not forget he lied about the trade demand when asked about it... "That is news to me that I want a trade" ya right you clown.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Butch 19
King me

I caught a practice puck he threw over the glass after warmups at a game last year, so I'm good.

I don't have the energy to boo him.

In fact, getting rid of his cap space really should make us cheer him.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:44 PM
lotionmyfeet
Rub It In

Maybe one or two healthy boos

lotionmyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
He wanted to go home...?

So if Jack goes to the Kings and said trade me to the Wings, or if Scuderi says trade me to the Isles you guys would be ok with it?

If Smyth loved Edmonton so much he should have re-signed with the Oilers in the Spring 2007, instead of forcing a trade over 500k and crying on tv. Or he should have signed with Edmonton that summer, instead of going to highest bidder in Colorado for a long term deal.

And let's not forget he lied about the trade demand when asked about it... "That is news to me that I want a trade" ya right you clown.
Lets burn his house down!

Old
11-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Lets burn his house down!
Great contribution!

Is anything I said false?

Old
11-01-2011, 06:46 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

He did the Kings a huge favor. I'll cheer.

TonySCV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
A loud mock cheer would be appropriate as well. Probably even better.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:49 PM
KBA4life

I understand he wanted to be closer to home and his kids were going to start school etc but I find his lack of wanting to win a cup pretty lame. A guy who's been a very good player his whole career but never won a cup wanting to go to a bottom dwelling team to be closer to home instead of staying where he was with a team that had/has the potential to do some damage in the playoffs. I believe his trade request came before the trade for Richards but you'd think if he really wanted his name on the cup he could of rescinded his request to DL and stuck it out another year.

I'm not questioning the guy's dedication when he's on the ice..."captain canada" always tries hard, the whole ordeal just seems odd to me. If I were to guess he just really hated LA and "being closer to home" was his excuse so he didn't come off as a complete jack-ass.

KBA4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:52 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
A loud mock cheer would be appropriate as well. Probably even better.
this.

if we did a real cheer he probably would think it's us appreciating his time here.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:57 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Great contribution!
The only kind I make..

Quote:
Is anything I said false?
No not really.. I tend to agree with what you said except him denying the trade. What do you think he shoudl have said? "Damn straight, going back to Edmonton whether they want me or not and DL will make it happen because I told him to". I think he was trying to protect the team at that point and his willingness to accept a trade to Calgary was also beneficial. I get that he put the team in that spot and it wasn't a cool move by any means but at the end of the day he didn't hurt the organization but I guess he hurt your feelings. I do get a kick out of your anger over him. Even when he does the Kings a favor you still have an issue with him. Your vitriol over certain players or members of management is amusing to me as if they've done something to you personally.

Too bad the Penner deal couldn't have waited until the summer time and the Kings were able to dump off Smyth in that transaction and possibly hold on to their first rounder.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:00 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Also, don't forget that the guy did waive his NTC to come to LA in the first place. I know people will argue with it but that trade was beneficial to the Kings becoming a playoff team and kicking Kopitar into another gear. Would the team (and Kopitar) have got there anyway? Sure I suppose it is possible but having him around at the expense of an oft injured Quincey was still worth it imo. Most of us were hoping he would be gone after this year and the timing actually worked at very well in the end.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:03 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Also, don't forget that the guy did waive his NTC to come to LA in the first place. I know people will argue with it but that trade was beneficial to the Kings becoming a playoff team and kicking Kopitar into another gear. Would the team (and Kopitar) have got there anyway? Sure I suppose it is possible but having him around at the expense of an oft injured Quincey was still worth it imo. Most of us were hoping he would be gone after this year and the timing actually worked at very well in the end.
Agree on all points. Overall the Ryan Smyth experience was very good for the Kings.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
The Kings were positioning themselves to be a playoff team while Colorado was looking at a rebuild.

Colorado missed him so much they improved by 26 points and made the playoffs.

Smyth was always there and producing when the games mattered, those October and November games vs. Columbus and Phoenix, he was money. The guy was a disaster down the stretch, something our NHL scouts and management should have seen before committing three years and $18.6 mill in valuable cap space for a player who fell off the map in January both seasons he played here.

Smyth's effort was no better than Frolov's, but since Frolov was from Russia and Smyth was Captain Canada no one ever wanted to call him out for his pathetic play (especially defensively) while with the Kings, while Frolov earned the name "Froloaf"

But hey, what do I know. Smyth is better than Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Cammalleri, Moulson etc.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Vamos Rafa
ADT = GH

I wish Dean would've traded him to Calgary instead.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He played well for us, and the Kings are now a better team because of his request. It put management in a tight spot, but there should be no animosity by the fanbase. Don't see any reason why he should be boo'd.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
The Kings were positioning themselves to be a playoff team while Colorado was looking at a rebuild.

Colorado missed him so much they improved by 26 points and made the playoffs.
Quid pro quo.. right? You really are a joker if you believe dumping Smyth led to them being a play off team. How about a good young crop of players combined with one of the hottest goalies in the NHL. Kinda the same reason the bit it hard last year. Their goalie gave out and their younger players couldn't hack it.

Quote:
Smyth was always there and producing when the games mattered, those October and November games vs. Columbus and Phoenix, he was money. The guy was a disaster down the stretch, something our NHL scouts and management should have seen before committing three years and $18.6 mill in valuable cap space for a player who fell off the map in January both seasons he played here.
Yes that cap space would have been used wisely to sign or trade for who exactly? The salary AEG paid that had no impact on you and the CAP space that wasn't going to be used until this year are pretty much irrelevant.

Quote:

Smyth's effort was no better than Frolov's, but since Frolov was from Russia and Smyth was Captain Canada no one ever wanted to call him out for his pathetic play (especially defensively) while with the Kings, while Frolov earned the name "Froloaf"
Oh here we go.. the xenophobia theory. Are you a conspiracy theorist too? I don't think nationality had anythign to do with it. Ryan Smyth plays like a lot of the Kings players on the roster. Two NHL teams were interested in Smyth this past summer. Zero were interested in Frolov (from what we know) and only one was interested the year before (from what I read). But by all means, imply Lombardi is some sort of xenophobe if that makes you feel better. And I own a Frolov jersey, was a big fan of his and was sad to see him go. But it looks like the smartest man in the room outsmarted you on this one. I guess every dog has his day right?

Quote:
But hey, what do I know. Smyth is better than Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Cammalleri, Moulson etc.
If you think you are smarter than DL, go snag his job. It doesn't seem like it should be too difficult given your commentary.

EDIT: BTW, the Richards trade probably wouldn't have happened if the Kings signed Gaborik at $7.5m and you'd have your best friend Jarrett Stoll still centering the 2nd line.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 11-01-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Old
11-01-2011, 07:35 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

C'mon guys. Symth isn't Blake.

If you boo him, you have no life whatsoever.

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote