HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps vs. Ducks. 7:30 EDT. Verizon Center. 11.1.2011

Old
11-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Anyone know what the lines are tonight? Sticking with Chimera on 2, Hendricks on 3, and Knuble on 4? Eakin on 4 as well?

If Hendricks is back on 4, he should be the player taking the draws, imo.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:25 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
Erskine is in and has been confirmed.
Nice... Welcome back Johnny!

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:32 PM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Hey guys, came here to post Ducks' lines:

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Koivu - Selanne
McMillan - Bonino - Gordon
Beleskey - Macenauer - Parros
Devante Smith-Pelly

Lydman-Visnovsky
Beauchemin-Fowler
Sbisa-Brookbank

Hiller
Ellis

What are Capitals' lines tonight?

Good luck to you guys (but not too much luck against us ).

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Click Here
You know you want to

vCash: 50
not comfortable with all this line shuffling from a win-the-game perspective, however its never a bad thing to take a look at things early in the year.

i think halpern has been reasonably solid, but i guess not nearly great enough to warrant being a lead-pipe lock every night.

Click Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:35 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Hey guys, came here to post Ducks' lines:

Ryan - Getzlaf - Perry
Cogliano - Koivu - Selanne
McMillan - Bonino - Gordon
Beleskey - Macenauer - Parros
Devante Smith-Pelly

Lydman-Visnovsky
Beauchemin-Fowler
Sbisa-Brookbank

Hiller
Ellis

What are Capitals' lines tonight?

Good luck to you guys (but not too much luck against us ).
Thanks for those. Probably won't know till about 20 minutes before game time.

11-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Dirtbag59

Who are these Getzlaf and Perry guys on the first line? Never heard of them which means they probably stink. Easy game tonight fellas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Thanks for those. Probably won't know till about 20 minutes before game time.
Agree but just so our friend doesn't leave empty handed here's my best educated guess based on what we've seen throughout the year. Of course the debut of Cody Eakin and the scratch of Halpern makes the bottom two lines tricky. Either Perreault or Eakin could move to the third line (which technically has also served as our shutdown/checking line rather then the traditional fourth line).

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Brouwer
Chimera-Johanson-Semin
Hendricks-Laich-Ward
Eakin-Perreault-Knuble

Defense is a little trickier with Mike Green out and John Erskine returning. This is a complete guess.

Alzner-Carlson (this line you will see)
Hamrlick-Wideman
Schultz-Erskine

The last two could change. Boudreau might want to pair the puck moving D men on the second pair I listed with one of each from the stay at home pair I listed on the third line. However against Vancouver this was our D lineup with the exception of Collins being there instead of Erskine.

Goalie
Vokoun
Nuevirth

So yeah as usiel alluded to, with the recent changes a lot of the lines could get shaken up. Only thing I really feel comfortable letting you go with is the Alzner-Carlson pair and the first two forward lines, and right now I'm not even completely sure about that.

You might have to wait 20 minutes before faceoff but this site would list it as their first story when they were made available.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 11-01-2011 at 02:06 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:51 PM
LetsGoBears

So, all kinds of roster craziness tonight. Might be the last time I check this thread lol.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 01:57 PM
tycoonheart

I'm not sure I like all this shuffling. We only had one game where we played horribly. All the lines had developed some chemistry and everyone was chipping in. Why is Bruce panicking?

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBears View Post
So, all kinds of roster craziness tonight. Might be the last time I check this thread lol.
Why does Eakin get called up to replace a healthy player while Orlov stays down when we're a man short? Thats what I want to know, not that I'm not excited to see Eakin but you got to wonder about some of the logic we're seeing here.

Quote:
SWhyno Stephen Whyno
Ummm... John Erskine time? He's working with Dennis Wideman at practice. Would mean Hamrlik with Schultz or Collins.
31 Oct

Anyway final educated guess for tonights lines.

Chimera-Johanson-Semin
Hendricks-Laich-Ward
Eakin-Perreault-Knuble

Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Wideman
Schultz-Hamrlick

Vokoun
Neuvirth

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 11-01-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old
11-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
I'm not sure I like all this shuffling. We only had one game where we played horribly. All the lines had developed some chemistry and everyone was chipping in. Why is Bruce panicking?
Yeah. I've been happy with pretty much all of his coaching until now. I guess time will tell whether he's actually "panicking" like he always has in the past. It's possible he has particular reason to think the line combinations were not the best they could be. Maybe there is a deeper logic this time. We'll see.

Quote:
Why does Eakin get called up to replace a healthy player while Orlov stays down when we're a man short? Thats what I want to know, not that I'm not excited to see Eakin but you got to wonder about some of the logic we're seeing here.
The easiest way to say it is: Orlov is a defenseman.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

Eakin is more ready to play his (current) role at the NHL level than Orlov is. And he will be more insulated up here than Orlov would be. Simple as that.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Eakin is more ready to play his (current) role at the NHL level than Orlov is. And he will be more insulated up here than Orlov would be. Simple as that.
Still I can't imagine Orlov being nearly as bad as Collins was against Vancouver. So yeah mabye he's not as prepared as Eakin to play in the NHL at his respective position but in terms of getting our 6 best and healthy defenseman on the ice he should have been there.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:53 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Still I can't imagine Orlov being nearly as bad as Collins was against Vancouver. So yeah mabye he's not as prepared as Eakin to play in the NHL at his respective position but in terms of getting our 6 best and healthy defenseman on the ice he should have been there.
I think they expected Collins to be better than he was. In the past he's been a decent bottom pairing Dman.

I wouldn't be shocked if they chose someone else (be it Orlov or McNeill) rather than Collins the next time they need a callup, but that may depend on who they're bringing someone in to replace, and whether they expect that player to play or are just keeping him around in case a last minute sub is needed.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 02:59 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I think they expected Collins to be better than he was. In the past he's been a decent bottom pairing Dman.

I wouldn't be shocked if they chose someone else (be it Orlov or McNeill) rather than Collins the next time they need a callup, but that may depend on who they're bringing someone in to replace, and whether they expect that player to play or are just keeping him around in case a last minute sub is needed.
Almost forgot about McNeil. Now theres a player I wouldn't mind seeing for a game or two as well. But yeah I kind of understand why they choose Collins to suit up against Vancouver, something about seasoning our younger prospects before exposing them to the big leagues.

Old
11-01-2011, 03:05 PM
Langway
Intangibles

A more relevant question would be why Eakin over Sjogren given the nature of Halpern's role. Boudreau likes to max. out on skill and depth so it's understandable but I'm a bit surprised we're seeing both Perreault and Eakin in the lineup this early with so few injuries dictating it. They're already struggling as it is in the dot and my guess is Eakin won't take faceoffs.

It may not matter against Anaheim--who is DFL in faceoffs--but it's not a configuration that's going to help improve.

Collins shouldn't be expected to look comfortable against a team like Vancouver in his second game. That's not a pace he's going to be comfortable in and neither were many of his fellow blueliners.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:11 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
A more relevant question would be why Eakin over Sjogren given the nature of Halpern's role. Boudreau likes to max. out on skill and depth so it's understandable but I'm a bit surprised we're seeing both Perreault and Eakin in the lineup this early with so few injuries dictating it. They're already struggling as it is in the dot and my guess is Eakin won't take faceoffs.

It may not matter against Anaheim--who is DFL in faceoffs--but it's not a configuration that's going to help improve.

Collins shouldn't be expected to look comfortable against a team like Vancouver in his second game. That's not a pace he's going to be comfortable in and neither were many of his fellow blueliners.
One of the more puzzling things I've seen at times this year is MP starting out in the faceoff dots while Halpern takes the wing.

On a side note it's also kind of funny to see how eager Ovi is to take faceoffs when his Center gets kicked out of the dot and how much he gets yelled at by his teammates for trying.

Ovi seems to enjoy doing a little bit of everything

Old
11-01-2011, 03:16 PM
um

Quote:

Chimera-Johanson-Semin
Hendricks-Laich-Ward
Eakin-Perreault-Knuble

Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Wideman
Schultz-Hamrlick

Vokoun
Neuvirth
god i hope those arent the forward lines, knuble on the 4th chimera on the second!!! but i guess it doesnt hurt to try this early in the season

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:20 PM
IafrateOvie34

I"m looking forward to seeing Eakin play. The season is way too early and we can afford to play with lines. I"m glad to see Erskine back and looking forward to tonight's game. I think we'll back on another winning streak and lose very few home games this season. The West coast swing wasn't so bad, but the Penalty killing needs to focus. I can't really blame them for a goal on 4-3, but the Vancouver game was awful. I hope Ovy continues his physical presence.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
god i hope those arent the forward lines, knuble on the 4th chimera on the second!!! but i guess it doesnt hurt to try this early in the season
My research is second to none.

Bruce Boudreau stirs Caps lines: 10/31/2011
Quote:
Here’s what Boudreau’s revamped lines look like:

Chimera-Johansson-Semin

Hendricks-Laich-Ward

King-Perreault/Halpern-Knuble

I’ll have a blog entry on the defensemen soon.
Quote:
SWhyno Stephen Whyno
Ummm... John Erskine time? He's working with Dennis Wideman at practice. Would mean Hamrlik with Schultz or Collins.
31 Oct Favorite Retweet Reply
Quote:
@VogsCaps: Jeff Halpern out, Eakin in. Collins down, Erskine in. Vokoun starts.
5 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Basically it's a giant puzzle. I'll be interested to see how close I was to getting the actual combo's for tonights game.

Old
11-01-2011, 03:39 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
Well Chimera has to get back in the Richard race somehow...

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Would rather experiment now than later in the season.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:34 PM
IvanMalison

Quote:

Chimera-Johanson-Semin
Hendricks-Laich-Ward
Eakin-Perreault-Knuble

Alzner-Carlson
Erskine-Wideman
Schultz-Hamrlick

Vokoun
Neuvirth
That second line is super fast.

IvanMalison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:34 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

So Knuble appears to be in the doghouse. I wonder if scoring winger becomes a need for GMGM to address at the deadline.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:39 PM
txpd

knuble in the doghouse. halpern in the doghouse. erskine in the top 4. vokoun playing 78 games. innnnnnteresting

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Capitlols

We get to have a firsthand look at the 'Movember' mask.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote