HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011-2012 Rangers Prospects Thread (Juniors, College, International, Other) *Part 3*

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2011, 05:40 PM
ThirdEye

vCash: 500
Posted this in the Whale thread by accident, but what's up with Fasth only getting 4 minutes of ice time today?

Old
11-01-2011, 06:24 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Noreau, Samuel RD 1/31/1993 6'5"/225 11 1 6 7 +8 13 Baie-Comeau Drakkar/LHJMQ

Boyler, remember when I made that typo about Noreau having 7A in 7GP? Well, I wasn't that far off. I haven't seen him at all, but statistically, the kid is having a very good year.

It's just pain.
Old
11-01-2011, 06:25 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
I remember when we drafted him that one of his neighbors came to this board and said something along the lines of:

"couldn't have drafted a better kid, great work ethic, very nice guy, don't be surprised if he turns out to be more offensive than normally projected as he constantly works on his shot, etc."

Old
11-01-2011, 07:12 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Noreau, Samuel RD 1/31/1993 6'5"/225 11 1 6 7 +8 13 Baie-Comeau Drakkar/LHJMQ

Boyler, remember when I made that typo about Noreau having 7A in 7GP? Well, I wasn't that far off. I haven't seen him at all, but statistically, the kid is having a very good year.
Oh yes. LOVED that pick. Although I liked both the Wilson "I'm not playing in the ECHL" and McNaught "I chose college over the pros for now" picks.

He has decent footspeed for a kid his size. We aren't talking McIlrath footspeed but he is far from a pylon and he keeps it simple and battles anyone and everyone in front of his net.

On top of all of that, the kid is a monster on skates who can throw them, already, with the best of them in Juniors as only an 18 year old.

He also is pretty good at using his stick to break up plays which will only lead to more good things as a good stick allows him to distract players coming down on him and line up the hit.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:12 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I thought he looked fine at Traverse. Much more polished then McIlrath.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:23 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
I remember when we drafted him that one of his neighbors came to this board and said something along the lines of:

"couldn't have drafted a better kid, great work ethic, very nice guy, don't be surprised if he turns out to be more offensive than normally projected as he constantly works on his shot, etc."
Yep.

Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2 View Post
I'm friends with sam and his family, you guys couldn't have drafted a beetter kid.. While hes known for his toughness don't be surprised if his overall game comes around, the kid works harder than anyone I know. He's ALWAYS working on his shot in his driveway. He's also closer to 6'6 and 220.. Last time I saw him he looked like a beast.

Looks like a good young prospect. I also like that he seems to have been working on his game more than dropping the gloves all the time.

Old
11-01-2011, 07:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I thought he looked fine at Traverse. Much more polished then McIlrath.
Different types of players. McIlrath's footspeed and quickness gets him into trouble at times because he has to develop the mental side to know where to be all the time.

Noreau doesn't have the same footspeed or quickness so he can't get himself out of position so he is normally in position.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:11 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

What was the name of the other large defenseman that we drafted this past summer that was at Traverse City? Of the 2 large d-men, one looked like crap and the other looked decent....

Old
11-01-2011, 08:19 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
What was the name of the other large defenseman that we drafted this past summer that was at Traverse City? Of the 2 large d-men, one looked like crap and the other looked decent....

Ceresnak?

Old
11-01-2011, 08:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Ceresnak?
Yes that's it....

Old
11-01-2011, 08:42 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yes that's it....
He looked bad in the 1st game at TC. He was an 18 year old who was just drafted, playing in a foreign country with people who spoke another language on a different ice surface.

He has been pretty good in juniors this season.

Old
11-01-2011, 08:59 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
He looked bad in the 1st game at TC. He was an 18 year old who was just drafted, playing in a foreign country with people who spoke another language on a different ice surface.

He has been pretty good in juniors this season.
I was trying to discern which player of the two had looked fairly decent in the tournament, and which one I remembered looking out of place and playing somewhat poorly....

Old
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Posted this in the Whale thread by accident, but what's up with Fasth only getting 4 minutes of ice time today?
Oy - that sounds like an injury. Paging our Swedish posters!

Old
11-02-2011, 07:45 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Am I reading this right? In a more offensive role, Kreider is posting some serious numbers?

Sweet.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:01 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I was trying to discern which player of the two had looked fairly decent in the tournament, and which one I remembered looking out of place and playing somewhat poorly....
I understand. I was just making sure people knew some reasons as to why that may have been. More a tag-on to your post than a response directed at you.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
I understand. I was just making sure people knew some reasons as to why that may have been. More a tag-on to your post than a response directed at you.
I really hope that the rink size and language barrier was to blame, because Ceresnak looked absolutely awful. I felt genuinely embarassed for the kid. He looked hopelessly overmatched.

Old
11-02-2011, 08:14 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
I really hope that the rink size and language barrier was to blame, because Ceresnak looked absolutely awful. I felt genuinely embarassed for the kid. He looked hopelessly overmatched.
He looked terrible in the first game but the games after that he looked like he settled down a little bit. I am sure there were quite a few factors, those are just the ones that came to me with a minute of thought.

He comes from Trencin though so that's always a plus. That tiny town has sent A LOT of players to the NHL.

Old
11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
ThirdEye

I think if MDZ and McDonagh develop into offensive forces all the McIlrath detractors might change their mind a bit. There just isn't a need for so many offensive defensemen on your team. Even if McIlrath never puts up any kind of offensive numbers, he's going to be a huge presence out there once he's filled out even more and improved on his strengths. No one, and I mean no one is going to touch our goalie or pick on our players while this guy is out there. And I'm betting he's going to be out there a lot

Old
11-02-2011, 12:11 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I think if MDZ and McDonagh develop into offensive forces all the McIlrath detractors might change their mind a bit. There just isn't a need for so many offensive defensemen on your team. Even if McIlrath never puts up any kind of offensive numbers, he's going to be a huge presence out there once he's filled out even more and improved on his strengths. No one, and I mean no one is going to touch our goalie or pick on our players while this guy is out there. And I'm betting he's going to be out there a lot
this argument doesnt pass the smell test.

2 things.

first, what exactly does those 2 other guys have to do with mcilrath and his development? i mean, if they are good- and i expect they will be, then its ok for mcilrath to be average ? how does that even make sense?

second, he was the 10th pick. thats a pretty high choice to waste on a guy who will only be needed to play tough and fight. those kinda players can be had as free agents or traded for anytime or drafted in lower rounds even.

lets just trade all our high draft picks for more picks in lower rounds and draft safe type 4th liners/ 3rd pair types who can fight and play physical.

um....wait....we've been doing that for years.

drafting at #10 matters. if we play better and win more games, we may not see #10 again for a few years.

i just dont understand lowering the bar for this guy and essentially building in excuses for mcilrath should he fail to become anything more than what we could have received from a free agent tough guy that only costs money or a prospect taken in round 3 or 4.

if that happens, and given whom else we could have drafted at 10, put me down as one who is not ok with that scenerio.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:23 PM
NYR Viper

The Rangers have been looking for a big, physical, bruising defenseman for years. They aren't as easy to come by as you make them out to be ODC.

Old
11-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
The Rangers have been looking for a big, physical, bruising defenseman for years. They aren't as easy to come by as you make them out to be ODC.
Yeah. Seriously. No idea how anyone could assert that players like that are easy to find.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:14 PM
brfeldman

Update on Chris Kreider

can anyone tell me what's going on with this kid? How has he looked this season?

Old
11-02-2011, 01:16 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

In short, he's producing much more offense, playing well in all 3 zones, and seems to be getting solid minutes.

RANGERS =
Old
11-02-2011, 01:17 PM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this argument doesnt pass the smell test.

2 things.

first, what exactly does those 2 other guys have to do with mcilrath and his development? i mean, if they are good- and i expect they will be, then its ok for mcilrath to be average ? how does that even make sense?

second, he was the 10th pick. thats a pretty high choice to waste on a guy who will only be needed to play tough and fight. those kinda players can be had as free agents or traded for anytime or drafted in lower rounds even.

lets just trade all our high draft picks for more picks in lower rounds and draft safe type 4th liners/ 3rd pair types who can fight and play physical.

um....wait....we've been doing that for years.

drafting at #10 matters. if we play better and win more games, we may not see #10 again for a few years.

i just dont understand lowering the bar for this guy and essentially building in excuses for mcilrath should he fail to become anything more than what we could have received from a free agent tough guy that only costs money or a prospect taken in round 3 or 4.

if that happens, and given whom else we could have drafted at 10, put me down as one who is not ok with that scenerio.
You finally come out of the woodwork, only to completely miss the point of his post.

The other poster was simply saying that the emergence of McDonagh and Del Zotto as offensive forces would make our situation tailor-made for a player like McIlrath. Nobody is lowering the bar on him. If McIlrath develops properly, he will be the shut-down, crease-clearing, intimidating force we have been missing on this blueline since Beukeboom. Claiming that McIlrath can only fight and play physical is beyond laughable. He has a booming shot, long reach, hits like a truck, can pummel almost anyone, and skates better than the overwhelming majority of players his size. He also has the leadership and work ethic that our organization looks for. He also has tremendous untapped potential, and is noticeably improving at a pretty good pace. The notion that you could get a player like that in the FA pool on the cheap is ridiculous.

It still boggles my mind how you can so tenaciously bash McIlrath, yet defended Lisin with every last breath before he bombed out of the NHL.

Old
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
skroob**

What is the story with JT Foster? 16 pts so far in jrs. any chance we (or anyone) offers him a contract?

On the flip side, only 3 points in 17 games for Oscar Lindberg??? oof.

Closed Thread