HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger: Sharks one of 8 teams in on Turris

Old
11-01-2011, 10:28 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

vCash: 500
Dreger: Sharks one of 8 teams in on Turris

watchin the cal-van game, intermission insider trading is basically dedicated to kyle turris. sens and flames in hottest pursuit. caps, sharks, leafs, jackets, also showing interest. oddly no canuck mention.

do you guys like the idea of turris as our 3rd line solution, that can fill top 6.

hes unsigned and has outrageous salary demands, but thats likely a ploy and could be signed for 2m once hes traded

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:30 PM
rangerssharks414

I saw that, and I was in the middle of starting a thread about it. Good thing I didn't.

I don't know. He really hasn't proven much in the NHL. I would prefer a proven option, but there really isn't much out there. If the Coyotes do trade him, I'm not sure what it would take. And I think he's serious about wanting to be paid.

rangerssharks414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:31 PM
SJSharks2010

He's admitted the demands were only an effort to force a trade. He'd sign for around 2 million.

It really depends on the price. If that many teams are interested, chances are he'll cost a somewhat valuable asset. If that's the case, I'll pass. Regardless of his talent he's a huge headcase and doesn't really solve our current problems, he's more of a prospect at this point. That and the fact he missed camp and the first month of the season.

SJSharks2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:35 PM
Scottrocks58*
Six

Coyotes fan here, coming in peace. If he were signed and then demanded a trade, Maloney would have accommodated him. The gut feeling here is that Maloney is going to let him sit a year, without pay and without a year accruing towards his UFA status.

Seriously, why is there so much interest? I've watched him since he showed up. He gets separated from the puck by a gentle breeze. He has a beautiful wrister but can't get in a position to use it. He avoids the boards and the corners. IMO he's a first round bust.

Scottrocks58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:37 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrocks58 View Post
Coyotes fan here, coming in peace. If he were signed and then demanded a trade, Maloney would have accommodated him. The gut feeling here is that Maloney is going to let him sit a year, without pay and without a year accruing towards his UFA status.

Seriously, why is there so much interest? I've watched him since he showed up. He gets separated from the puck by a gentle breeze. He has a beautiful wrister but can't get in a position to use it. He avoids the boards and the corners. IMO he's a first round bust.
He would fit in nicely with James Sheppard

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:38 PM
glasgow26

He's got serious potential and could be an option for a third line guy who can also play top six minutes when needed. I'm all for it if the price is right and his contract demands aren't too high. Anywhere between 1.5-2 million seems fair. He's still very young and if he can put it all together, which he wasn't really given a chance to do in Phoenix, he could be our long-term solution for second line center behind Couture when Thornton/Marleau are done.

glasgow26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:40 PM
stalockrox

Quote:

I agree, I don't think Maloney has any interest at all in trading him, and really, why should he. Turris (and his agent) really didn't handle this well at all.

I also don't know why there's so much interest in him, I'm guessing it's his 'potential'. I haven't seen anything in him or his play that would make giving up high draft picks and/or good prospects, or a good NHL player for him a good idea, but I also wouldn't call him a bust.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:42 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:

I think it's too early to call him a bust. He was rushed into the league and is still young.

Besides, he's a hell of alot better than James Sheppard, and we gave up a 3rd for him. Like I said, I'd be fine with it as long as we aren't giving up much. He's a long shot and a bit of a headcase, but the talent is there.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:43 PM
SJSharks2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
I agree, I don't think Maloney has any interest at all in trading him, and really, why should he. Turris (and his agent) really didn't handle this well at all.

I also don't know why there's so much interest in him, I'm guessing it's his 'potential'. I haven't seen anything in him or his play that would make giving up high draft picks and/or good prospects, or a good NHL player for him a good idea, but I also wouldn't call him a bust.
At the college and AHL level he performed. He also played excellent in the playoffs last year.

The talent is definetly there, hes shown what he's capable of. Whether he can put it all together or not is a different story.

Old
11-01-2011, 10:43 PM
Gilligans Island

Anybody know why he didn't play in the NHL during the 2009-10 season?

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Turris is terrible. I'd rather not trade for potential.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 10:58 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

DW will always make a phone call (claims to talk to each/every GM 1-2x/month). Does not mean that things are "moving forward".

Depends on what is being asked in exchange.

There is a deadline of 11/30 coming up (if RFA is not signed by 12/1, cannot play entire season).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:04 PM
wtfisthis

Not worried about them trading for Turris. I just know it wont happen.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:05 PM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Turris isnt the answer that is needed for the 3rd line. I doubt DW makes this trade.

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:07 PM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

DW goes for character guys. He was probably just kicking the tires on this one.
Side note: just found out that Freddie Hamilton (Sharks prospect) is Dougie Hamilton's brother (Bruins super highly touted prospect)

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:22 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
DW will always make a phone call (claims to talk to each/every GM 1-2x/month). Does not mean that things are "moving forward".

Depends on what is being asked in exchange.

There is a deadline of 11/30 coming up (if RFA is not signed by 12/1, cannot play entire season).
Thats what I'm thinking too. Maybe he just gave Maloney a courtesy call.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Pinkfloyd

I doubt it was a simple courtesy call considering how long this has dragged out. If Dreger is putting the Sharks in it, there's a bit more to it than that. I don't think anything will come of it but I'm sure DW gave the courtesy call asking what it would cost, getting a ballpark figure, and then followed up with an actual offer of some cheap variety.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Is DW trying to build an all bust 3rd line with Turris and Sheppard?

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:03 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post

oh i don't know, maybe to get something called an asset that is willing to play for the coyotes, or that might help the team in the long run.

in the nhl you do not play the game of we won't trade you at all costs, just because we don't like the way you are acting.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:06 AM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
oh i don't know, maybe to get something called an asset that is willing to play for the coyotes, or that might help the team in the long run.

in the nhl you do not play the game of we won't trade you at all costs, just because we don't like the way you are acting.
That's what Maloney is doing now, so apparantly some people do play that game. In reality, I think that there's likely more to this and Maloney has his reasons.

I would think that they'll move him before the deadline but by ALL accounts, Phoenix isn't considering it right now.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:19 AM
wtfisthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Is DW trying to build an all bust 3rd line with Turris and Sheppard?
Thats perfect. With McGinn already on the team, I think we got ourselves a bust line.

wtfisthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 12:31 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
I'll trade Sheppard for him.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 01:13 AM
hockeyball

If he gets an offer that helps the Coyotes, he'll take it. You can't take anything he's said publicly at face value. We have seen over, and over, and over again how meaningless that is. Remember the Heatley situation?

He is simply saying what he has to say to protect his interests. If he says "Ya, we are going to trade him" the value he gets will drop considerably. If he says "We are not trading him" it's basically a negotiating tactic (both with other GM's and Turris). Either he gets better offers, or Turris blinks and he gets him re-signed.

Do I want him? Sure, if DW can work some magic. We need more young forwards to improve our forward depth. He's just another poorly developed young player who needs a change of scenery. If he comes cheap, hell yah I'd take him.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 06:32 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Shark would be glad to take him. Kid has a good shot, but was rushed into the NHL.

Sharks should trade their late 2012 1st + prospect

Anyone know if our scouting staff interviewed him in the 2007 draft?

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 07:00 AM
sjshark91

Good, the way we develop kids this would be awesome. Plus he can score on Hiller.

sjshark91 is offline   Reply With Quote