Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2011, 11:56 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Rajala? Pulkkinen? It's clear that it didnt help these guys.
They had other issues dropping their draft number, size and injury history.

Old
11-01-2011, 01:45 AM
thomast

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
They had other issues dropping their draft number, size and injury history.
Yeah but dominant performance at U-18 WC didn't help their stock rising.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:56 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Yeah but dominant performance at U-18 WC didn't help their stock rising.
Can you really say it didn't help? How do you know what the teams ranked him at before and after the U18's?

This is becoming (once again) an argument with no end and which started from you apparently misunderstanding my message completely.

Old
11-01-2011, 06:15 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Can you really say it didn't help? How do you know what the teams ranked him at before and after the U18's?

This is becoming (once again) an argument with no end and which started from you apparently misunderstanding my message completely.
Ok i'll rephrase it. It didnt hurt their stock but obviously it didnt help them that much.

Old
11-01-2011, 02:43 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I'm really suprised about his skating which is really good! Westerlund was even calling it "a more natural stride than Sami Vatanen" and that is quite impressive. Hopefully he gets more games under his belt in the big league, tears up the U18 games and keeps on rising for the Draft in June.
Watched his skating very closely today and he gets in fast/full speed by few strides. Seems to be bit nervous with the puck but when he gets more confidence he will be good. I don't expect him to break out totally this year. Next season tells alot about his developement. He is weeks out from 2013 draft and is rather young. I'm liking him more than Ristolainen who has serious problems with his positioning and decision making.

Old
11-02-2011, 07:48 AM
RKC

Has anyone seen Timi Lahtinen lately? Last year he was playing mostly C-SM and wasn't part of U16 national team but now he's in the U18 squad as an underager and has played couple games in A-SM too. Great size at 188/84, can anyone tell about his strenghts/weaknesses?

Old
11-02-2011, 09:36 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC View Post
Has anyone seen Timi Lahtinen lately? Last year he was playing mostly C-SM and wasn't part of U16 national team but now he's in the U18 squad as an underager and has played couple games in A-SM too. Great size at 188/84, can anyone tell about his strenghts/weaknesses?
From what I can remember from last season is that he seemed to have some trouble getting involved with the play from time to time. Perhaps he didn’t always read the developing situations that well or wasn’t as agile as some of the smaller kids. Maybe he can do better in a more controlled environment like Jr.A where the game isn’t as chaotic as in Jr.C for example. I wouldn’t call him the most skilled player out there, but perhaps he can contribute more in other roles.

Old
11-03-2011, 05:48 AM
glassbangers
Samu MacGyver

vCash: 50
Tormentor... anyone!?

Have you seen Henri Ikonen (1994, 6'1", 190lbs) playing in this season? 7 games in FEL with 0 goals and 1 assist.

Who would you compare him against and what is Henri's strenghtnesses and weaknesses? Potential 1st rounder?

Old
11-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
From what I can remember from last season is that he seemed to have some trouble getting involved with the play from time to time. Perhaps he didn’t always read the developing situations that well or wasn’t as agile as some of the smaller kids. Maybe he can do better in a more controlled environment like Jr.A where the game isn’t as chaotic as in Jr.C for example. I wouldn’t call him the most skilled player out there, but perhaps he can contribute more in other roles.
Conveniently he had two assists yesterday against SaiPa in a 5-4 OT win.

Old
11-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Tormentor... anyone!?

Have you seen Henri Ikonen (1994, 6'1", 190lbs) playing in this season? 7 games in FEL with 0 goals and 1 assist.

Who would you compare him against and what is Henri's strenghtnesses and weaknesses? Potential 1st rounder?
Henri Ikonen plays a straightforward game and definitely isn’t afraid of going to the net. I haven’t seen him use his shot that much this season, but based on last year it’s quite good. In Jr.A he’s strong in puck battles and shields the puck well along the boards. He seems to have gained quite a lot weight during the summer which has made his skating/movement look clearly heavier than before. He might be closer to 6’0’’ than 6’1’’ at the moment, but this is just speculation. Finds an open teammate on the rush or after a board battle, but isn’t very creative or much of a playmaker. Has above average hands. Needs improvement in all areas of the game, would become a more dominant FEL player with slightly better/stronger skating. I don’t see him as a potential 1st rounder, mid to late rounder more likely. Two recent draftees from KalPa; Teemu Hartikainen and Iiro Pakarinen play a fairly similar game.

It’s early and some might disagree, but here’s how I see the upcoming draft for Finns at the moment:

1. D – Olli Määttä (London Knights)
2. F – Teuvo Teräväinen (Jokerit)
3. D – Ville Pokka (Kärpät)
4. D – Mikko Vainonen (HIFK)
5. F – Henri Ikonen (KalPa)

Old
11-03-2011, 02:42 PM
ToBBa

IMO Erik Haula will be our next NHL-star. I'm so amazed of Haula's points this year. There's just that studying which may delay Haula's NHL career.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:37 PM
FrankTheTank

Quote:

It’s early and some might disagree, but here’s how I see the upcoming draft for Finns at the moment:

What about Esa Lindell? Big dman with impressive stats. I haven't seen him so I got nothing but I hope you could tell something about him.

Old
11-04-2011, 02:52 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Henri Ikonen plays a straightforward game and definitely isn’t afraid of going to the net. I haven’t seen him use his shot that much this season, but based on last year it’s quite good. In Jr.A he’s strong in puck battles and shields the puck well along the boards. He seems to have gained quite a lot weight during the summer which has made his skating/movement look clearly heavier than before. He might be closer to 6’0’’ than 6’1’’ at the moment, but this is just speculation. Finds an open teammate on the rush or after a board battle, but isn’t very creative or much of a playmaker. Has above average hands. Needs improvement in all areas of the game, would become a more dominant FEL player with slightly better/stronger skating. I don’t see him as a potential 1st rounder, mid to late rounder more likely. Two recent draftees from KalPa; Teemu Hartikainen and Iiro Pakarinen play a fairly similar game.

Do you expect more Top 60 selections than last year? I was rather suprised Granlund and Ruutu were taken so high.

Do we have any vague calculations for how players will get drafted this year? Eliteprospects is seemingly not working right now so i can't remember the exact figures, but i think it was something like 9 taken two years, 12 taken last year?

Old
11-04-2011, 03:03 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Do you expect more Top 60 selections than last year? I was rather suprised Granlund and Ruutu were taken so high.

Do we have any vague calculations for how players will get drafted this year? Eliteprospects is seemingly not working right now so i can't remember the exact figures, but i think it was something like 9 taken two years, 12 taken last year?
About 10-14. This draft is better than last years draft. Olli Määttä should be lock for first round at this point. Teuvo Teräväinen has decent chances to crack into first round. Ville Pokka should be 2nd round pick at this point but he has some chances to crack into 1st round aswell. If we are luck we will have 3 1st rounders and maybe couple 2nd rounders but that is unlikely. I expect 3 top 60 selections. 3+ is bonus.

Teräväinen could be best player from finland for this draft in longterm. There is so much potential and he is smart player and works his ass off.

Old
11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
YARR123

I continued Tormentor's list, and this is what I think the draft could look like for Finland:

6. F - Kalle Torniainen (HIFK)
7. D - Mikko Lehtonen (TPS)
8. D - Esa Lindell (Jokerit)
9. F - Joel Mustonen (Skellefteå)
10.G - Jean Auren
11.G - Joonas Korpisalo
12.D - Petteri Lindbohm
13. random overager
14. random overager

I don't think it's out of the question that we would have 15 picks. At least 10 of these players I feel like SHOULD get drafted. And there are always alot of overagers that have a chance of getting picked

Old
11-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank View Post
What about Esa Lindell? Big dman with impressive stats. I haven't seen him so I got nothing but I hope you could tell something about him.
Here’s what I wrote about him earlier in this thread:

Quote:
I have only seen one Jr.A game from Jokerit so far this season, but based on that game he still has plenty of work to do at that level as well, especially defensively. Like with many top Finnish 94-born defensemen, his skating needs work; lateral / backwards movement, footwork and overall coordination for example. Looked really tired at the end of some long shifts and had some trouble getting off the ice, I imagine that he’s still adapting to the level of play and the ice time he’s receiving. Unable to keep up with his man on several occasions, he was in trouble with speedy and shifty opponents. He was also levelled by a smaller opponent in front of his own net, that lead to a dangerous situation. In some situations his awareness / reading of the play wasn’t the best possible, which lead to some bad decisions, especially defensively (bad positioning).

On the other hand there were some good plays as well, like taking initiative; jumping on an open lane and rushing the puck through the zones, using his reach to his advantage in a defensive situation, giving some good passes (one of them lead to a goal on power play), intercepting a wide around puck close to the boards while pressured and delivering it quickly to the net after taking a few lateral steps from the point. He also scored a goal on power play with a simple low wrister, it took quite some time for him to get the puck under control and he had to take a look at his feet. For some reason the defending player didn’t close the gap, so Lindell had plenty of time/room to get the shot off, eventually the goalie slipped it in easily.

His stats might be slightly inflated by the fact that he’s playing in one of the highest scoring teams in the league, and his defensive shortcomings might become more visible in a weaker team with not so good supporting players. He has the most minuses in his team (-12), which isn’t bad considering that he gets so much ice time, but it’s not great either when compared to Terävinen’s (-1) in 9 games with almost similar ice time.

I’m hoping to see Jokerit again next month, so hopefully I’ll have a better picture of his game and possible draft chances then. At the moment I'd say that he's a possible late round pick, but I retain the right to change my mind later on, once I see him playing more. Central Scouting’s preliminary rankings should be out in November as well, it'll be interesting to see how they rank him in comparison to other Finns. It seemed that the U18 national team coaches relied more on Pokka, Vainonen, Ristolainen and Lehtonen at the Hlinka Memorial Tournament, so I imagine that they didn’t see Lindell as the most reliable option. It remains to be seen if he manages to rise in that pecking order as the season advances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post

Määttä, Teräväinen and Pokka seem like players who should have a good chance of going in the first two rounds, at least if the overall quality of this year’s draft is similar to last year. I like Vainonen, but he might be closer to a 3rd/4th rounder at the moment, just speculation.

Last year 10 Finns were drafted. It’s hard to say what that number will be this year. There are a decent number of players who are borderline draft prospects and therefore the scale could tip to either direction. It should be a bit easier to make a prediction at the end of the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
I continued Tormentor's list, and this is what I think the draft could look like for Finland:

6. F - Kalle Torniainen (HIFK)
7. D - Mikko Lehtonen (TPS)
8. D - Esa Lindell (Jokerit)
9. F - Joel Mustonen (Skellefteå)
10.G - Jean Auren
11.G - Joonas Korpisalo
12.D - Petteri Lindbohm
Would be nice to get an update on Torniainen, is he once again injured?

Lehtonen is a tad small for a defenseman and doesn’t have exceptional puck skills or skating ability. Overall he’s a fine player and I feel that he could develop into a SM-liiga defenseman, but I’m not fully confident about his NHL potential at this point.

The goalie situation is a bit of a mystery for me. Who’s the top dog, is it Auren, Kiviaho, Korpisalo or perhaps Setänen who has been injured for a long time?

Old
11-05-2011, 03:52 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Would be nice to get an update on Torniainen, is he once again injured?
I don't know to be honest. I haven't heard much about him this season, and me listing him there is based on his play last year.

Quote:
Lehtonen is a tad small for a defenseman and doesn’t have exceptional puck skills or skating ability. Overall he’s a fine player and I feel that he could develop into a SM-liiga defenseman, but I’m not fully confident about his NHL potential at this point.
He's not that small, and what I've heard from TPS fans is that he plays beyond his years, is very smart with the puck and always calm. He played very well with the men's team in ET games and already made his debut in SM-liiga.

Myself I've only seen him live playing in Jr. A, and from what I saw he also has a physical element to his game and was surprisingly strong along the boards. Again, this was Jr. A so I'm not sure if you can draw any conclusions from there.

I do agree with you, though, he looks more suited to becoming a SM-liiga defenseman, and that there aren't many things in his game that really stand out. But I think he's talented enough that a team could take a chance with him with a mid-late round pick, after all he is very well-rounded for his age and plays a mature game.

Quote:
The goalie situation is a bit of a mystery for me. Who’s the top dog, is it Auren, Kiviaho, Korpisalo or perhaps Setänen who has been injured for a long time?
Korpisalo has got some recognition among scouts it seems, and Auren has been a big part of Vaasa Sport's success in Jr. A. Haven't heard much of Kiviaho or Setänen

Old
11-05-2011, 06:03 AM
YARR123

Artturi Lehkonen making his debut today on 4th line of TPS men's team

edit: and so will Rasmus Kulmala it seems

Last edited by YARR123: 11-05-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old
11-05-2011, 07:49 AM
thomast

Quote:
Artturi Lehkonen making his debut today on 4th line of TPS men's team

edit: and so will Rasmus Kulmala it seems
Excited to see Lehkonen who might be bit underrated prospect right now. 2013 draft looks very good for finland and our hockey is going definetly into right way. More and more kids playing at FEL and they're younger everytime. I think that Granlund was major factor. All what Granlund has done has opened the door for other prospects. Teams are taking seriously their youth players and doesen't hesitate to choose them into roster. Pretty excited for our future.

Old
11-05-2011, 08:57 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Excited to see Lehkonen who might be bit underrated prospect right now. 2013 draft looks very good for finland and our hockey is going definetly into right way. More and more kids playing at FEL and they're younger everytime. I think that Granlund was major factor. All what Granlund has done has opened the door for other prospects. Teams are taking seriously their youth players and doesen't hesitate to choose them into roster. Pretty excited for our future.
I'm thinking it's not just Granlund in itself, but more like the antics of the management of Oulun Kärpät who tried to con the Boy Wonder a bit. After that, every team has been far more frantic to give every prospect who shows even a bit of promise a fair chance to show what they can do, in order to avoid the backlash of letting a possible homegrown prize cow to slip onto greener pastures.

I mean, without the whole episode, Kärpät for example would probably still favor imported Czech veterans and with luck, one of the trio of Junttila, Donskoi and Salomäki would have some kind of role within the senior team. Armia would still spend majority of his time in Ässät juniors, with occasional forays into the main squad's bottom-six. Pulkkinen would have long ago fled to Hämeenlinna where he would be a third-line winger playing 12 minutes a game. And so on...

So let's give a big hand to Juha Junno. By shooting himself in the leg he made whole SM-liiga a huge favor.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-05-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Old
11-05-2011, 02:52 PM
ES

One interesting thing is that all these have happened after league made a rule change where they can dress 18 skaters just like NHL rule is. They had 18 most of the 1990s, then it was changed to 20.

The rule change was criticized much when it was introduced, and one reason cited was "it's not as easy to give young players playing time".

Old
11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
He's not that small, and what I've heard from TPS fans is that he plays beyond his years, is very smart with the puck and always calm. He played very well with the men's team in ET games and already made his debut in SM-liiga.

Myself I've only seen him live playing in Jr. A, and from what I saw he also has a physical element to his game and was surprisingly strong along the boards. Again, this was Jr. A so I'm not sure if you can draw any conclusions from there.

I do agree with you, though, he looks more suited to becoming a SM-liiga defenseman, and that there aren't many things in his game that really stand out. But I think he's talented enough that a team could take a chance with him with a mid-late round pick, after all he is very well-rounded for his age and plays a mature game.
Lehtonen doesn’t seem to have grown much from last season, I’d say that he’s still somewhere around 5’11’’ at the moment. I’m not saying that he couldn’t be drafted, because there’s a chance of that happening and as we know it only takes one team to really like a player. Also I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fairly high on Central Scouting’s rankings, because he should get good evaluations on several aspects of the game. From my perspective it just requires a bit more imagination to see him developing into a regular NHLer someday, at least at the moment. I’ve seen a recording of his SM-liiga debut and although he showed promise, his transition to SM-liiga probably won’t be quite as smooth as with few other youngsters lately. It’s going to take time before he’s able to play the same way in SM-liiga as he does in Jr.A.

Old
11-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Can we get a top 5 Finnish prospects for

????

Old
11-06-2011, 03:49 PM
YARR123

Quote:
Lehtonen doesn’t seem to have grown much from last season, I’d say that he’s still somewhere around 5’11’’ at the moment. I’m not saying that he couldn’t be drafted, because there’s a chance of that happening and as we know it only takes one team to really like a player. Also I wouldn’t be surprised to see him fairly high on Central Scouting’s rankings, because he should get good evaluations on several aspects of the game. From my perspective it just requires a bit more imagination to see him developing into a regular NHLer someday, at least at the moment. I’ve seen a recording of his SM-liiga debut and although he showed promise, his transition to SM-liiga probably won’t be quite as smooth as with few other youngsters lately. It’s going to take time before he’s able to play the same way in SM-liiga as he does in Jr.A.
your opinions make a lot of sense, I hope that you're wrong though

Old
11-06-2011, 04:43 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
Can we get a top 5 Finnish prospects for

????
For 2012, I'll once more quote Tormentor from bit earlier:

Quote:
For 2013, let's say...

1. F - Alexander Barkov (Tappara)
2. D - Rasmus Ristolainen (TPS)
3. F - Juuso Ikonen (Blues)
4. F - Artturi Lehkonen (TPS)
5. F - Saku Salminen (Jokerit)

And from there, it turns too much of a crapshoot for me to pick any more guesses.

Last edited by FiLe: 11-07-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Closed Thread