HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 who's gonna be top dog?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-29-2011, 05:14 PM
  #1
EkiE
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Korso
Country:
Posts: 840
vCash: 500
2014 who's gonna be top dog?

I bet 75% people will say canada takes the cake, but seriously there is like 5 countires that will give canada hard time, so whats your call?

Swe,Cze,Rus,Fin,USA and Slovakia will give hard time anytime we are competing for gold best vs best.

So tell me why your team shouldn't be taken ligthly against canada!!?

EkiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 05:20 PM
  #2
slovakiasnextone
Registered User
 
slovakiasnextone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Slovakia
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 5,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EkiE View Post
I bet 75% people will say canada takes the cake, but seriously there is like 5 countires that will give canada hard time, so whats your call?

Swe,Cze,Rus,Fin,USA and Slovakia will give hard time anytime we are competing for gold best vs best.

So tell me why your team shouldn't be taken ligthly against canada!!?
Slovakia might not even play in Sochi yet alone in the knock out stage....

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-29-2011, 11:37 PM
  #3
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leaving HF
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,802
vCash: 500
I think, on the big ice, Canada and the US will be at a disadvantage. Our players look lost out there and I worry 2014 will not be any different.

Having said that...

My predictions for 2014 (as a Canadian) are :

Canada
Russia
Sweden
Finland
USA
Slovakia
Czech

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:20 AM
  #4
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EkiE View Post
I bet 75% people will say canada takes the cake, but seriously there is like 5 countires that will give canada hard time, so whats your call?

Swe,Cze,Rus,Fin,USA and Slovakia will give hard time anytime we are competing for gold best vs best.

So tell me why your team shouldn't be taken ligthly against canada!!?
you mean on HFBoards?? no wonder here because its made mostly for NA fans. However i think Slovakia is out for a very long time as a contender for gold.

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 07:58 AM
  #5
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Well based on recent performance one would have to have Canada, the U.S,Sweden and Finland as the teams with a serious shot at gold with Russia, Slovakia, Switzerland and the Czech Republic as the dark horses with an outside shot of medaling if the stars align correctly for them, they'd be a long shot but could win if they get a hot goaltender that can steal games for them.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 08:17 AM
  #6
cheerupmurray
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Stockholm
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
Well based on recent performance one would have to have Canada, the U.S,Sweden and Finland as the teams with a serious shot at gold with Russia, Slovakia, Switzerland and the Czech Republic as the dark horses with an outside shot of medaling if the stars align correctly for them, they'd be a long shot but could win if they get a hot goaltender that can steal games for them.
Nah.
Canada will be favorites, challenged by USA (have great depth) and Russia (have great forwards). Sweden, Czech republic and Finland as darkhorses. Slovakia is the weakest team in the mix.

My ranking would be:

1. Canada (Only weakness might be goalies)
2. USA (Good wellrounded team, not as strong as Canada though)
3. Russia (Got some firepower, defense a questionmark)
4. Sweden (Got some stars, lacks depth)
5. Czech republic (Underrated good team, defense is getting old though)
6. Finland (got some good players, lack depth on defense)
7. Slovakia (got stars but seriously lacks depth)

This might factor in:
Olympics are played on big ice which gives some advantages to the european teams.
Slovakia and Finland often looks stronger on the ice than on paper.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:10 AM
  #7
Muuri
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,597
vCash: 500
Since NHL started sending players to the olympics, Finland has won the most medals.

Why Finland will win a medal:
-very good goalie trio, maybe the best of the tournament
- great coach that all the players are familier with (assuming Jalonen is still our coach by then)
- team chemistry, players know each other and have played together in the past
- good preparation and start (see Turin 2006)
- leadership by Mikko Koivu and the rest
- some great defensive forwards
- international size rink
- underdog status

Why Finland won't win a medal
- lack of natural goalscorers, need to work hard for every goal
- very little depth, especially on the defense. Few injuries and the tournament is already over
- no number one d-man, unless Pitkänen steps up
- choking. Finland has a history of giving up games they had in the pack (see last years WJC quaterfinal vs. Russia, 03 WC quaterfinal vs. Sweden)


As long as Finland avoids Sweden or the North American teams in the quaterfinal, winning the bronze medal is possibility.

Muuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:58 AM
  #8
therealdeal
Registered User
 
therealdeal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,206
vCash: 500
Hockey is a very weird sport, because having a better team on paper doesn't give you that much of an advantage. And the difference between teams on paper in the olympics is pretty small, so having a better team on paper isn't all that helpful.

Its pretty much just about who can come together the quickest and play the best 4-5 games in a row when it matters.

therealdeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 11:19 AM
  #9
canuck2010
Registered User
 
canuck2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Hockey is a very weird sport, because having a better team on paper doesn't give you that much of an advantage. And the difference between teams on paper in the olympics is pretty small, so having a better team on paper isn't all that helpful.

Its pretty much just about who can come together the quickest and play the best 4-5 games in a row when it matters.
Think you're bang on with that observation.

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 12:25 PM
  #10
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leaving HF
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealdeal View Post
Hockey is a very weird sport, because having a better team on paper doesn't give you that much of an advantage. And the difference between teams on paper in the olympics is pretty small, so having a better team on paper isn't all that helpful.

Its pretty much just about who can come together the quickest and play the best 4-5 games in a row when it matters.
Good post.

I do however feel the size of the ice is a factor as well. Not for the Eupopean players - most can play on both. North American players are effected the most.

I think going forward, on the small ice, Canada vs the U.S. will most likely be the Gold Medal matchup. On the big ice anyone can win.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 09:01 PM
  #11
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
Well based on recent performance one would have to have Canada, the U.S,Sweden and Finland as the teams with a serious shot at gold with Russia, Slovakia, Switzerland and the Czech Republic as the dark horses with an outside shot of medaling if the stars align correctly for them, they'd be a long shot but could win if they get a hot goaltender that can steal games for them.
clown AT HIS BEST!

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-30-2011, 10:22 PM
  #12
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
My chrystalball tells me Canada, Sweden and Finland will be the medal teams. Russia usually has trouble with team play and the Czechs don't look to be as strong as in the past. USA could always surprise but the chrystallballs don't lie.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 06:05 AM
  #13
JabbaJabba
Registered User
 
JabbaJabba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Finland
Posts: 4,521
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkanen5rings View Post
My chrystalball tells me Canada, Sweden and Finland will be the medal teams. Russia usually has trouble with team play and the Czechs don't look to be as strong as in the past. USA could always surprise but the chrystallballs don't lie.
Yeah, Finland wins gold, Canada gets silver and Sweden win bronze . I like it.

JabbaJabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 08:58 AM
  #14
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
I call em as I see em, that's my opinion and it's based on recent performances in best on best tournaments (and no, the annual, and I use this term very loosely indeed "world championships" isn't one of them) and Russia has been pretty lousy lately in these best on bests. if you don't believe me go check their results yourself.

They're a dark horse going into Sochi, don't kid yourself.I'm not saying they suck, just that they can't be considered a TOP favourite going into the thing.


I truly would be a clown if I thought a team that hasn't done all that well in the highest level international tournaments at the senior level for quite some time now is a strong favourite going into the next olympics, it would be foolish to assume any such thing based on former long ago glories.

I'm hardly a clown, you're a guy who in another thread said Canada was currently in your opinion 4th in world Hockey AT BEST.

What kind of person really believes that malarky?

I've seen houseplants with a better grasp on international Hockey and it's results then that.

Clown indeed.



Quote:
Originally Posted by pouskin74 View Post
clown AT HIS BEST!


Last edited by espo*: 10-31-2011 at 09:22 AM.
espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:17 AM
  #15
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 9,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
I call em as I see em, that's my opinion and it's based on recent performances in best on best tournaments (and no, the annual, and I use this term very loosely indeed "world championships" isn't one of them) and Russia has been pretty lousy lately in these best on bests. if you don't believe me go check their results yourself.
But Sochi won't be on NHL sized ice.

For NHL olympics (on international ice), Russia is tied for the lead in medals with Finns and Czechs. Canada has 1 medal in 3 big ice olympic attempts....including a 4th and 7th place finish.

You talk about results; however, like many posters here have said, history actually points to this as an 'anyone can win tourney' where every team can realistically be considered a top favourite.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 09:35 AM
  #16
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
You make good points there zine.

Rational anyway, you make sense.Definately something to take into account and consider.


It's certainly better then.....'we have won so many medals at the world championships in the past while you haven't" stuff that get's thrown around here so much and mean little to nothing at all in this argument.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:07 AM
  #17
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leaving HF
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
But Sochi won't be on NHL sized ice.

For NHL olympics (on international ice), Russia is tied for the lead in medals with Finns and Czechs. Canada has 1 medal in 3 big ice olympic attempts....including a 4th and 7th place finish.

You talk about results; however, like many posters here have said, history actually points to this as an 'anyone can win tourney' where every team can realistically be considered a top favourite.
Yes. Very true.

I have found watching Canada and the U.S. on the Big Ice painful. They look sooooo lost and out of place. Can't hit the net. Their passes miss. They forget their assignments, etc...

I think Russia has to be the favourites. Home, on the big ice, OV will have something to prove...

Having said that, Canada's talent is SCARY - everywhere but goal. Especially offensively. And, if they can get into a rhythm and GEL, it is hard to see anyone beating them.

Having said that, they could also finish 7th like in Italy.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:48 AM
  #18
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 20,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Yes. Very true.

I have found watching Canada and the U.S. on the Big Ice painful. They look sooooo lost and out of place. Can't hit the net. Their passes miss. They forget their assignments, etc...

I think Russia has to be the favourites. Home, on the big ice, OV will have something to prove...

Having said that, Canada's talent is SCARY - everywhere but goal. Especially offensively. And, if they can get into a rhythm and GEL, it is hard to see anyone beating them.

Having said that, they could also finish 7th like in Italy.
I can guarantee that the U.S. team in Sochi won't look anything like the team we brought to Turin. That was the last gasp for the "golden generation" that had its hey day at the '96 World Cup. Old, slow, and lacking in talent. The goaltending was also sketchy (even though Dipietro was adequete). USA Hockey has been placing a premium on skating over the last several years, and that should be a significant advantage. The goaltending has also never been better.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 11:52 AM
  #19
pouskin74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Swansea, UK
Posts: 4,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post

I'm hardly a clown, you're a guy who in another thread said Canada was currently in your opinion 4th in world Hockey AT BEST.
it was sarcasm, you know. just feel a difference

pouskin74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:45 PM
  #20
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,711
vCash: 500
there are some really interesting factors that will come to play in Sochi.

- Russia and home court advantage. Russians will DEFINATELY work hard every shift infront of their home crowd, and if they get in a frenzy, Russian skill might take them to the gold, but, and that is one big BUT, they've also choked many times in front of a demanding home crowd. Defense a questionmark.

- Canada has choked before while playing on what we Europeans call rinks and you guys call soccerfields. Then again on paper they are absolutely dominant, but with the big ice surface and odd nature of these short tournaments gold is definately not guaranteed

- Oddly enough Finland always makes the best of what they have, and again probably are medal contenders. Gold is a reach

- Especially on the large ice Sweden will be tough once again. In previous years their defensive depth hasn't been a strong point, now I believe it will, as in addition to guys like Edler, Enström, Kronwall, Karlsson there will be Larsson, Hedman, Rundblad, OEL and co. to pick from.

- Slovakia, will be interesting to see how good a team they can put up by 2014, but I doubt they will be as strong as in 2010. They can put up only a couple of strong lines, after that the level drops drastically.

- Czech's have depth and skill but the guys are getting old and there aren't enough new guys to replace them.

- USA is probably the second best team in the tournament, but like Canada, how they perform on the soccerfield is a questionmark


This said, my prediction:

1. Sweden
2. Russia
3. Finland
4. Canada
5. USA
6. Czech
7. Slovak

Sorry Canada and USA
Canada make it to the semis just because they have so much talent, lose the semis and then in the bronze game they are too shocked to care and Finland plays their best game of the tournament in the bronze game, as usual.

EDIT: oh, and don't take this too seriously, I know I wasn't

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
  #21
OttawaRoughRiderFan
Leaving/Goodbye All
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Leaving HF
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,802
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
there are some really interesting factors that will come to play in Sochi.

- Russia and home court advantage. Russians will DEFINATELY work hard every shift infront of their home crowd, and if they get in a frenzy, Russian skill might take them to the gold, but, and that is one big BUT, they've also choked many times in front of a demanding home crowd. Defense a questionmark.

- Canada has choked before while playing on what we Europeans call rinks and you guys call soccerfields. Then again on paper they are absolutely dominant, but with the big ice surface and odd nature of these short tournaments gold is definately not guaranteed

- Oddly enough Finland always makes the best of what they have, and again probably are medal contenders. Gold is a reach

- Especially on the large ice Sweden will be tough once again. In previous years their defensive depth hasn't been a strong point, now I believe it will, as in addition to guys like Edler, Enström, Kronwall, Karlsson there will be Larsson, Hedman, Rundblad, OEL and co. to pick from.

- Slovakia, will be interesting to see how good a team they can put up by 2014, but I doubt they will be as strong as in 2010. They can put up only a couple of strong lines, after that the level drops drastically.

- Czech's have depth and skill but the guys are getting old and there aren't enough new guys to replace them.

- USA is probably the second best team in the tournament, but like Canada, how they perform on the soccerfield is a questionmark


This said, my prediction:

1. Sweden
2. Russia
3. Finland
4. Canada
5. USA
6. Czech
7. Slovak

Sorry Canada and USA
Canada make it to the semis just because they have so much talent, lose the semis and then in the bronze game they are too shocked to care and Finland plays their best game of the tournament in the bronze game, as usual.

EDIT: oh, and don't take this too seriously, I know I wasn't
As much as I hate to admit it, there is a lot of truth to what you wrote.

OttawaRoughRiderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 06:59 PM
  #22
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
I agree it will be more of an adjustment for Canada and the U.S on the bigger ice but Salt Lake was all on big ice wasn't it?

Canada won Gold on that, so finishing number one on the big ice is certainly attainable especially considering the talent Canada will have on hand (best in the tourney most probably)

Golds doable in Sochi without question, tougher, but doable.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
  #23
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
I agree there is more of an adjustment on the big ice for Canada ( and the U.S too) but Salt Lake was all on big ice wasn't it?

Canada won Gold in that remember so winning in sochi is certainly attainable for Canada, especially considering the talent they will have on hand which will most likely be the best in the tournament and it will be mostly made up of players that are in their prime(unlike Torino) There won't be many, if any at all, over the hill guys on that team with the talent Canada has been streaming out this past decade/half decade(comfortably the best in quality and quantity amongst the big seven countries).


Golds certainly doable in Sochi for Canada, tougher yes but definately doable.

espo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:00 AM
  #24
llwyd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Helsinki
Country: Finland
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Is the arena already finished in Sochi? I have a suspicion that when we are talking about the big ice that this particular time it really will be HUGE ice. International Russian rinks tend to be, hmm, rather sizeable - for some reason.... Nothing wrong in that, of course.

llwyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2011, 09:40 AM
  #25
habsrule4eva3089
Registered User
 
habsrule4eva3089's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,287
vCash: 500
I wonder what the rest of the world's excuse will be after we win 2014 on that big pathethic ice, after having won on REAL SIZE ICE in 2010...probably will still find a way to get an excuse

Don't compare 2014's roster to previous slow rosters that we sent on big ice, 2014 will be the best Canadian team ever assembled for an Olympic Games and that doesn't bode well for the rest of the world.

habsrule4eva3089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.